AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-03-14, 17:19   Link #1
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Rideback Manga

http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=12000

Set in 2020, Rideback tells the story of a college student named Rin Ogata and her "iron horse" robot motorcycle (rideback) called "Fuego", in a tumultuous time of anti-government student protests.

Has anyone read the manga?
Old 2009-03-14, 18:04   Link #2
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

its a shame nothing more has been translated. however, for me its a good thing because i'll have the urge to read it, and it'll potentially ruin the show for me.
Old 2009-03-15, 03:57   Link #3
Vito
Asshole.

Well, Shouta is translating it but he's busy, considering he's behind on the anime as well. You can get raws up to volume 9, haven't see volume 10 floating around yet.
Old 2009-03-15, 17:25   Link #4
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Firstly thanks you Crisis for taking the initiative . I am not a manga reader but I don't mind spoilers . I will take up the manga once the anime ends .

Spoiler for anime spoilers:

Last edited by Solace; 2009-03-17 at 03:49.
Old 2009-03-15, 18:30   Link #5
holyalexander
holy alexander

yeah it would be great if its translated..
Old 2009-03-16, 19:33   Link #6
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

From Ride-Back Epsiode thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shouta View Post
Instead, I'll focus my efforts on the manga since I had back-ups of that.
Thats really great news ... Thanx for all your efforts Dude : D
Old 2009-03-17, 01:20   Link #7
Man0warr

Pretty sure Suzuri is an anime only character
Old 2009-03-17, 03:48   Link #8
Vito
Asshole.

Geta Boshi, you might want to use the spoiler tags considering you just spoiled a major event that has neither been scanslated nor fansubbed.

Suzuri is also in the manga, she appears later.
Old 2009-03-17, 04:35   Link #9
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

There are a couple of aspects in this series that captured my attention, namely romance (although the mecha in the manga was good, just that the anime translated the action scenes so much smoother) and I'm just wondering if there's any women besides me who are following the manga.
Old 2009-03-17, 06:02   Link #10
Vito
Asshole.

There's not all that much romance in the manga, what little there is seems to be pretty straight forward.
Old 2009-03-17, 06:16   Link #11
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Indeed, romance is a very small aspect of the manga, and this is precisely why it reeled me in so effortlessly; as Rohe puts it eloquently, sometimes less is more. So much that I've taken to hounding Shouta on the PMs and devouring the spoilers that were graciously given, with glee.
Old 2009-03-17, 07:47   Link #12
Irkalla
I asked for this

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisis View Post
There are a couple of aspects in this series that captured my attention, namely romance (although the mecha in the manga was good, just that the anime translated the action scenes so much smoother) and I'm just wondering if there's any women besides me who are following the manga.
No worries Crisis, you are not the only one. And I feel about it exactly the same. There is just something about mecha romances that is really alluring. I haven't been able to fully figure out what exactly, but I guess it's the danger factor, thrill, possible deaths and all the other tragic things that could happen. Plus the characters are given a certain coolness since they can do "cool" stuff (Kiefer especially in my case ) with their gear.

That + my infatuation with bikes + politic drama brought me to dig this serie very much.
Old 2009-03-17, 11:51   Link #13
Vito
Asshole.

If there's something that can easily ruin a show is reading comments from female anime fans, I'm not sure quite how you manage to do this but usually by taking a small bit that is true and spinning it into some elaborate fantasy that doesn't even closely resemeble the truth or in this case the content of the show.

The whole political drama seems shallow and serves only as a backdrop for the show, the manga really doesn't seem to be that much better in this regard, Shouta can prove me wrong, since it seems he's the only one here who has read the damn thing entirely (sad to see that most posters in this thread are incapable to the point of not even being able to find the manga raws).

And what romance? Anime has very little romance to speak of, pretty much none of it so far. From vol.1 of the manga the only thing aparent is that Tamayo has feelings for Goblin, that's about it. Apart from what Shouta told me from the last volume, there's hardly any "romance" stuff that's not standard for most mecha shows. What little I've seen in the manga the romance part seems straight forward and seems no different from what you'd find in any other mecha series (ie: people pair up but it's hardly the focal point of the story). I'd hate to see someone getting into the show expecting some romance subplots, where there aren't any.

P.S: Man0warr, you can see Suzuri on the vol.4 cover
Old 2009-03-17, 12:40   Link #14
Irkalla
I asked for this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito View Post
If there's something that can easily ruin a show is reading comments from female anime fans, I'm not sure quite how you manage to do this but usually by taking a small bit that is true and spinning it into some elaborate fantasy that doesn't even closely resemeble the truth or in this case the content of the show.

How ironic that these "elaborated fantasies" that we made up in our little minds based out of character development throughout the anime and manga actually came true for the most part? (in the manga, based on the raws and Shouta's summary)Totally weird huh? Maybe you should pay more attention to all the aspects of the series, not just for, well whatever you are watching/reading it for.
Old 2009-03-17, 20:37   Link #15
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito View Post
Come now, I make one post voicing my interest in meeting other women viewers for a small discussion, and you launched straight into a tirade about the delusional mindsets of incoherent women fans. I don't mind if you ask me to justify this theme and the relationship it has with the overall plot, but spinning a yarn about my motives, questioning my stance when I haven't even begun posting so much of a semblance of my thoughts, was not only unnecessary, but demeaning at the same time, especially before saying in the same breath that you haven't read the rest of the manga.

I'm not sure why you dragged the anime into the manga thread, but for curiosity's sake, only the first four volumes were encompassed in the anime (Episode 10 stopped in the middle of the fourth volume, so perhaps the last two episodes will cover the fifth) where the majority of the focus is mostly on the set-up and action scenes. In assessing the possibility of a second season and the flow of the manga, we will be expecting a major shift in the relationships between certain characters later on. The fact that you're unable to spot any indications of romance is most likely because, as you've said so yourself, you haven't touched on the remaining nine volumes, and as the story goes further, there will be a few minor indications given for side relationships. One , in particular, receives subtle pieces of development throughout the series, and by the end, they've all ultimately add up to a good structured relationship that's interwoven with the heroine's burden. (Whether this continues in the final volume remains to be seen, as I haven't got my hands on it yet, and I've taken to pestering Shouta for the spoilers.) You were right in saying romance doesn't have a huge focus in the show, but that's not to say it's baseless grounds for discussion, in fact, I'd argue it's quite the contrary. So there's no need to concern yourself over my expectations of the show - I know exactly what I'm looking for.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaseka
There is just something about mecha romances that is really alluring.
Well, I'm not normally a fan of mecha-romances in particular, it's just this one relationship that caught my interest, considering that it's an influential factor to Rin's growth as a Rideback user, and also...

Spoiler:

Last edited by cheesie; 2009-03-17 at 21:07.
Old 2009-05-22, 03:45   Link #16
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

*summons thread up before it withers away into darkness once more*

Unfortunately, I'm not able to provide the mecha specs and other technical details, so I'll leave that to the ones who are well-versed in it, as I'm rather clueless on those things. However, in regards to the one detail that I'm confident in...

I posted this in the suggestions thread, but I thought any manga readers interested in whether Kiefer and Rin hooks up should be included too, so you may do so below.

Spoiler for Click for Final Volume: Kiefer x Rin spoilers:

Good day.
Old 2009-05-23, 23:27   Link #17
hoofy

so many clicks to get to the grand prize, cheesie !

i've just seen vol 9 and I now understand that rideback-flips aren't only for shooting and shoujo-sparkles

i also find Shouko's various expressions are much more endearing here than in the anime
Old 2012-02-17, 23:47   Link #18
Alchemist007
*Author

Saw a bit of the anime today. Good to know the manga goes farther, incentive to look into it. Though there doesn't appear to be an English licenser (not that it will stop me).
Old 2013-03-20, 22:29   Link #19
K9_Knight

Does anyone know where i can find a full translated version of the manga. Everywhere i look only has chapters 1, 1.5 and 7 for some reason O.o. I watched the anime and was sold after the first episode ended. After I finished the show I tried to find the manga and, well only chapters 1, 1.5 and seven are listed. :/

Thanks bunches!

Tags
mecha, seinen