AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2012-07-17, 06:56   Link #10061
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarun View Post
What can't be ignored is that Medaka Box had terrible/negligble boost from the anime.

Edit: maybe terrible or negligible might not be exactly right.
Because the anime did an atrocious job of selling Medaka Box. They should have started further along the plot- had they begun with the Unzen Arc and treated all the rest of the pre-Unzen arc material as the OVA material it rightfully should, then Medaka's Box true nature as a Meta-mockery of genres would have been manifestedly obvious.

As it is, in the eyes of many anime only viewers, Medaka Box is tainted goods, and to them, Season 2 might as well be full of the same "Love-Comedy cum Slice of Life BS" even if we manga viewers know that Season 2, unless they somehow butcher it in a spate of amazing creativity this Gainax B team has never displayed yet would be even more classically Action-Shounen than the Unzen Arc. But some of those - many infact, who stuck around would be going : Where on Earth is my Slice of Life/Comedy/Student Council Hijinx fix? This isn't Medaka Box. This is just another action Shounen.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-17, 07:59   Link #10062
RedKey
天界の異端審問官

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
Because the anime did an atrocious job of selling Medaka Box. They should have started further along the plot- had they begun with the Unzen Arc and treated all the rest of the pre-Unzen arc material as the OVA material it rightfully should, then Medaka's Box true nature as a Meta-mockery of genres would have been manifestedly obvious.

As it is, in the eyes of many anime only viewers, Medaka Box is tainted goods, and to them, Season 2 might as well be full of the same "Love-Comedy cum Slice of Life BS" even if we manga viewers know that Season 2, unless they somehow butcher it in a spate of amazing creativity this Gainax B team has never displayed yet would be even more classically Action-Shounen than the Unzen Arc. But some of those - many infact, who stuck around would be going : Where on Earth is my Slice of Life/Comedy/Student Council Hijinx fix? This isn't Medaka Box. This is just another action Shounen.
They could put smiling Anshin'in right in the first ep of season 2 saying "Hey if you're getting bored wait till we get to the Minus arc". I'd totally be dying from laughter.

Or on a more serious note, they could animate Good Loser Kumagawa as an OVA at the end of season 2. By then, Abnormalities - and maybe Minuses - would have already been introduced, and it wouldn't spoil anything but All Fiction, really.

Last edited by RedKey; 2012-07-17 at 08:10.
RedKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-17, 11:55   Link #10063
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
to be fair, this happened to the manga when it first started. Just look at the earlier posts on this very thread for that, a lot of people who preferred the slice-of-life elements hated genre shift. They wanted to see more love hijinx and Medaka actually fulfiling the requests but after the genre shift, the haters started to laothe Medaka even after revealing the existence abnormals. I read how the prevalence of abnormals and Medaka (Mary Sue) in the story was really annoying them and they wanted to go back to the old style.

Not even the Minus arc entirely allievated haters as it was eventually going to end and it was pretty much a given Medaka was going to somehow win. There are still fans here who want the manga to end and really hate manga for the unsatisyfing conclusion of the arcs in question. Even seeing Medaka herself actually lose to Zenikichi is not enough as the box stopped being relevant to the story.
Old 2012-07-17, 13:38   Link #10064
Tenchi Hou Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
to be fair, this happened to the manga when it first started. Just look at the earlier posts on this very thread for that, a lot of people who preferred the slice-of-life elements hated genre shift. They wanted to see more love hijinx and Medaka actually fulfiling the requests but after the genre shift, the haters started to laothe Medaka even after revealing the existence abnormals. I read how the prevalence of abnormals and Medaka (Mary Sue) in the story was really annoying them and they wanted to go back to the old style.

Not even the Minus arc entirely allievated haters as it was eventually going to end and it was pretty much a given Medaka was going to somehow win. There are still fans here who want the manga to end and really hate manga for the unsatisyfing conclusion of the arcs in question. Even seeing Medaka herself actually lose to Zenikichi is not enough as the box stopped being relevant to the story.
TBF, "The End" was a pretty cop out ending for the flask plan arc, and Medaka's fight with Kumagawa wasn't that great. So it was true that up til that point the way Nisio had developed her characater made for pretty anticlimatic arc ends, which isn't exactly a great thing.

Though obvious that's not all there is to this story or any story.
Tenchi Hou Take is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-17, 17:25   Link #10065
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

I thought the point of those arc endings was to develop the idea of Medaka as an antagonist, as by that point a) Oudo had become extremely pathetic and desperate and b) if you weren't cheering for Kumagawa at the end of his arc, I don't know what to say to you.
Medaka is only a really good character when acting in that role anyway, in my books.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-17, 18:42   Link #10066
Last Carpet

any spoilers out yet
Last Carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-17, 20:12   Link #10067
ccie20012

Quote:
They wanted to see more love hijinx and Medaka actually fulfiling the requests but after the genre shift, the haters started to laothe Medaka even after revealing the existence abnormals. I read how the prevalence of abnormals and Medaka (Mary Sue) in the story was really annoying them and they wanted to go back to the old style.
I agree. I was going to drop this manga about 84 chapters.
I changed my mind after a 116. More precisely, I gave up and casually looked 116 and began to read again.
ccie20012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-17, 20:21   Link #10068
Tenchi Hou Take

Spoilers are always out mid day on tuesdays.

Spoiler for spoiler:
Tenchi Hou Take is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-17, 23:48   Link #10069
DawnEmperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
I thought the point of those arc endings was to develop the idea of Medaka as an antagonist, as by that point a) Oudo had become extremely pathetic and desperate and b) if you weren't cheering for Kumagawa at the end of his arc, I don't know what to say to you.
Medaka is only a really good character when acting in that role anyway, in my books.
I wasn't really cheering for Kumagawa. Okay, well, even I sympathized with him a bit, but I kind of wanted him to just get defeated already.
DawnEmperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-19, 02:04   Link #10070
DawnEmperor

Any other spoilers come out yet?
DawnEmperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-20, 11:54   Link #10071
Naginoura
匂宮家

Spoiler for 155:

Naginoura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-20, 16:04   Link #10072
Last Carpet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naginoura View Post
Spoiler for 155:
I figured Namanie's Word Style had something to do with reversing.

Her verbal tic, Ruki, is Kiru(to kill) with the symbols reversed

And...I think Momo has just beaten out Unzen in the category of most evil looking child. Seriously, a kindergardener.....
Old 2012-07-20, 16:08   Link #10073
[HearT]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Carpet View Post
I figured Namanie's Word Style had something to do with reversing.

Her verbal tic, Ruki, is Kiru(to kill) with the symbols reversed
It's actually 'to cut' :P
[HearT] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-20, 16:14   Link #10074
Last Carpet

Quote:
Originally Posted by [HearT] View Post
It's actually 'to cut' :P
I know.....considering how Namanie is

Kiru/Kill
japanese pronounciation

....I was trying out a little wordplay of my own

Anywho.......any news about the new chapter....I haven't seen a translation or a RAW yet
Old 2012-07-20, 18:00   Link #10075
Wolfenstein

I wonder if Kamone also has some kind of mark.
Wolfenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-20, 18:46   Link #10076
[HearT]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Carpet View Post
I know.....considering how Namanie is

Kiru/Kill
japanese pronounciation

....I was trying out a little wordplay of my own
Ah~ I see~~ I apologize for spoiling your fun then~ :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfenstein View Post
I wonder if Kamone also has some kind of mark.
I was wondering that too, but I hope so! If he had a tongue tattoo, that'd be so hot~~♥♥
...in a weird way~
[HearT] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-20, 18:51   Link #10077
Wolfenstein

I doubt it would be his tongue, since apparently he isn't a language user.

Well, as far as we know.
Wolfenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 09:55   Link #10078
summers

Strange the chapter does not seem to be out yet?
summers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 14:13   Link #10079
Ilidsor
Angelerator

They just got the chapter today. They said it'll be out by the end of the day.
Ilidsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 01:33   Link #10080
whx_epic

Does anyone find it strange about the identity of the remaining 3 suitors?
Up till now, there has been a real connection between the real suitors and the fetish of the fake suitors:
1)Namanie Nienami-Sakugo Nienami : self mutilating style - fetish for blood covered girl.
2)Sui Kanaino- Kaiteru Kanaino : Wearing Glasses - Glasses fetish.
3)Mogura Kugurugi-Kaira Kugurugi: Like to step on people- Fetish on like being stepped.
So in this case, since Shinkirou Kotobuki has loli fetish, while Joutou Kotobuki is not a loli, is there any possibility that they are hiding their identity? (name swapping, etc). Momo Momozono are more suited to become a Kotobuki, since she is a loli.
whx_epic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council