AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2008-03-27, 10:15   Link #521
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Heh, I finally caught it... On the last day

Shinji is still Shinji (As expected, unfortunately...), Rei is still Rei (), but overall, I'm generally satisfied, and I welcome the new changes they made.

Oh, and the ending theme is a definite WIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormenk View Post
Shinji's resolve, as seen when he picked up the rifle again after being blown away by the Angel's counterattack and the scenes thereafter, was a very nice touch for me.
The BMG was epic for that scene

As for his resolve... I guess Gendo did something right when he "push shinji in Rei direction", or something like that. I can't remember the exact quote.

Quote:
I'm already anticipating some of the possible changes down the road.

Let it be so
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-27, 10:29   Link #522
Tormenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Heh, I finally caught it... On the last day
The airing ended so soon?! So much for a second time at the silver screen..

Quote:
Shinji is still Shinji (As expected, unfortunately...), Rei is still Rei (), but overall, I'm generally satisfied, and I welcome the new changes they made.

Oh, and the ending theme is a definite WIN
But of course. Somethings can't be changed too much for the mechanics later down the road.

And by ending theme, Utada Hikaru's Beautiful World? Awesome WIN of course.

Quote:
The BMG was epic for that scene

As for his resolve... I guess Gendo did something right when he "push shinji in Rei direction", or something like that. I can't remember the exact quote.

Considering that some of the BGMs are the 'newer' version of the anime, I'm wondering if some of the other BGMs will get their rework as well in the future movies. Like 'Thantos'.

As for the quote, it goes "Next I'll nudge him in Rei's direction."

Gendou's manipulation was pretty ambiguous in the anime but that scene pretty much spelt it out for the movie-goers.

..Needless to say, while I was pretty neutral towards Gendou before, I found a 100% increase of Genodu-dislike after that scene. That bastard.

Quote:
Let it be so
ReBuild FTW.

"Are you afraid of change? Or are you afraid to change?"

"Wheel turns, river flows and life goes on."

"Best way to kill a man, is to leave him alone."

"Until you come, until we close our eyes."

Tormenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-27, 10:57   Link #523
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
The airing ended so soon?! So much for a second time at the silver screen..
That's what I've heard from my friend, if not I would have taken my time to watch it tomorrow instead of rushing it tonight...

Quote:

As for the quote, it goes "Next I'll nudge him in Rei's direction."

:eek You could actually remember it after watching it only once

Quote:
Gendou's manipulation was pretty ambiguous in the anime but that scene pretty much spelt it out for the movie-goers.

..Needless to say, while I was pretty neutral towards Gendou before, I found a 100% increase of Genodu-dislike after that scene. That bastard.

True, though somehow, I could see why he intended to do that... Otherwise, I personally doubt anything else is going to... "Motivate" Shinji enough

"There's always a girl..."
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-31, 10:38   Link #524
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Wow, it's interesting to find teenagers interested in an anime that's over 10 years old. To be sure, Evangelion is not one of my favourite anime of all time, but I was greatly affected by it (like most other college kids who watched the series in my time). It may be severely flawed in several areas, but it remains a landmark series that subverted the mecha genre and changed the way mecha anime have been produced ever since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormenk
The airing ended so soon?! So much for a second time at the silver screen...
It's not over! I caught it today (31 March 08) at Cathay. But you better watch it before this Wednesday (2 Apr 08) because they have reduced screening to only once per day at 3:20pm, which basically means it's about to end its run this week.

I deliberately watched it late so as to escape the crowds, but the cinema was still about half full when I watched it today. While watching the movie, I suddenly realised that this is the first time I'm watching Evangelion in its original Japanese dub. I've watched the original series and the movies in Cantonese dub years ago (and was quite impressed by the voice acting, by the way).

So, it was a great pleasure to hear Misato's and Rei's original voices. Especially Misato's. She sounds exactly like the way I imagined - very sexy.

(Shinji's original voice is cringe-worthy unfortunately. But, that's Shinji for you. He's meant to be annoying.)

I liked the movie of course, especially the inclusion of new scenes to tie the condensed plot together. I agree however that character development suffered as a result, especially with regards to the growing bond between Shinji and Misato. They've brought forward the conspiracy to give the plot some coherency, which I think is a good thing. The only thing I can say about Rei is that there was not enough of her.

All-in-all, I think they've tied up the events from the Fourth Angel to the Sixth Angel very well, and ended at a very nice spot, with the focus of the first act being very much on Shinji's insecurities and angst, contrasted against Misato's genuine concern, along with Rei's positive influence on his resolve.

That said, viewers who are completely new to the franchise would probably be clueless about what the whole fuss is all about, due to the heightened pace of the abridged plot. If, by chance, they stick around to the end, they'd probably be even more confused (and probably outraged) by the eventual finale.

Heheheh, but we love the mind-f*ck, don't we? Fans of Evangelion are masochistic that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
*WanderingKnight covers his ears*

Lalalalalalalala, I can't hear you~

Seriously, I can't wait for the moment the DVD gets released in Japan.
Nya, nya, ni, nya, nya. I got to watch it on big screen. Kekekekeke.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-31, 12:16   Link #525
Tormenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
:eek You could actually remember it after watching it only once
Actually it should be something like "I'll nudge him in Rei's direction next."

<--- Closet Eva fan =3

Quote:
True, though somehow, I could see why he intended to do that... Otherwise, I personally doubt anything else is going to... "Motivate" Shinji enough

"There's always a girl..."
He's going to need lots more motivation down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Wow, it's interesting to find teenagers interested in an anime that's over 10 years old. To be sure, Evangelion is not one of my favourite anime of all time, but I was greatly affected by it (like most other college kids who watched the series in my time). It may be severely flawed in several areas, but it remains a landmark series that subverted the mecha genre and changed the way mecha anime have been produced ever since.

Evangelion left a pretty deep impression on me, back when I first watched it when I was twelve. Nothing sort of heavily influencing how I think and my perspective on matters. Though not drenched in pessimism I assure you.

Quote:
It's not over! I caught it today (31 March 08) at Cathay. But you better watch it before this Wednesday (2 Apr 08) because they have reduced screening to only once per day at 3:20pm, which basically means it's about to end its run this week.
Oh noes. D;

Quote:
Heheheh, but we love the mind-f*ck, don't we? Fans of Evangelion are masochistic that way.
That we do.

"Are you afraid of change? Or are you afraid to change?"

"Wheel turns, river flows and life goes on."

"Best way to kill a man, is to leave him alone."

"Until you come, until we close our eyes."

Tormenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 09:58   Link #526
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Finally managed to see it (the first one) on cinema today.

I was an ignorant teenage brat when the series first aired in where I live, unfortunately, the ridiculous TV censoring standards meant that even the mildest violence was cut ruthlessly, this resulted in awkward scene jumping, this did not help me understand the already quite convoluted plot. I remember after I saw everyone saying "congratulations" to Shinji, and then the TV station announced that it was the last episode, I went "WTF!?"

Still, being one of the series to define anime history, I knew I just had to watch the movie and indulge in some nostalgia. I've actually not bought any of the Evangelion-related DVDs (not even the "End of Evangelion" ones), so this would actually be the first time I would properly watch the Evangelion series. Another reason I was attracted to watch this "remake" was the promise of a "new interpretation" to the ending.

Of course, I reckoned a newcomer would probably not get what the hell is going on, so I made sure I did plenty of "homework" and "revision" beforehand, digging through Wikipedia and anything related to refresh my memory of the whole thing.

I was glad I did that as the movie started straight off into the fight, and there was plenty of Judaism-Christian related jargon used like LCL and Second Impact.

Apparently, I have not forgotten all the details, as I clearly remembered the way Misato introduced herself to Shinji was different from the beginning of the movie. (Also LOL at the classic Shinji and Pen-Pen scene. ) Watching the movie in a cinema was quite the experience, as in the NERV control room scenes, you can hear all sorts of people talking over the various speakers, as though the audience is in the control room.

I noticed this time there were quite a lot of commercial product placements that were not seen in the TV series. From Misato's beers to electronics and restaurants, there's a brand being seen.

The movie is heavy on plot, though character development of certain side characters was sacrificed as a result (such as Shinji's classmates), this is to be expected as it's only 1.5 hours long.

Most of the characters are how I remember them to be. Once I accepted that Shinji is naturally a wimp, putting up with his patheticness became easier. Rei is still your Rei, and Gendo continues to kickass as the ultimate Machiavellian manipulator. Good job to all the seiyuus. (I just realized Tachiki Fumihiko, Gendo's seiyuu, is the guy that did all the random male voices in Lucky Star. Now why did I not discover that earlier?)

Most impressive has to the final battle with Ramiel (the diamond-looking angel). And boy does he look impressive in CG-animation, transforming shapes faster than your average Transformer. Just that scene alone was worth the ticket price.

◆◆◆◆◆◆ <--- Tribute to Ramiel in 2ch.

Fan-made CG of the many forms and shapes of Ramiel
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm1247471

And the re-enactment of that scene, not bad for a fan-made CG
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm1106990

I'm also glad I stayed behind after the credits to watch the episode 2.0 preview, probably thanks to forums like these spreading news to stay behind when the credits began to roll. (Not a bad ED song by Utada Hikaru by the way. )
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-14, 09:44   Link #527
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Pardon for bumping this thread.

Hey c'mon, whatever happened to all you lot before me that saw it in the cinema? It's not like I'm resurrecting a dead thread when I last posted (it's only a week since), surly someone wants to discuss? No?
Old 2008-04-14, 10:07   Link #528
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

It would help if you got the ball rolling? I liked the movie and I've already posted my comments. I am miffed that I missed the preview, but it's no biggie.

Hmm, I wonder why Ramiel is now the Sixth Angel. If they are going to add a completely new character, I wonder if the ending is going to be very different as well. I've read speculation that Rebuild is...

Spoiler:

I won't be surprised if someone else had already suggested that in this thread. I have not read all 27 pages. Whatever the case, feel free to speculate.
Old 2008-04-14, 10:19   Link #529
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
It would help if you got the ball rolling? I liked the movie and I've already posted my comments. I am miffed that I missed the preview, but it's no biggie.

Hmm, I wonder why Ramiel is now the Sixth Angel. If they are going to add a completely new character, I wonder if the ending is going to be very different as well. I've read speculation that Rebuild is...

Spoiler:

I won't be surprised if someone else had already suggested that in this thread. I have not read all 27 pages. Whatever the case, feel free to speculate.
Spoiler for Just to be safe:
Old 2008-04-17, 13:50   Link #530
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Finally found a better resolution youtube video of the awesome fan-made CG of Ramiel, the diamond-shaped Angel.

Be warned that what you see in this fan-made CG video is what you will see in the movie, which is why I placed it in spoiler tags. So if you're prepared, enjoy.

Spoiler for ◆◆◆◆◆◆ Video:
Old 2008-04-17, 14:08   Link #531
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Something tells me you've become a born-again "Evangelist".

Not bad for a fan-made video. Thanks for the link!
Old 2008-04-17, 17:30   Link #532
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Oh how depressed I am to not have seen this yet...and finding out that it released in HK during the time my family was there and I happened to skip the holiday this time makes me want to kick myself >_<

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-24, 21:49   Link #533
RyougaElliot
Dancing Madly

And God said, let there be raws.
RyougaElliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-25, 10:00   Link #534
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
And the fans wished, let the subs come fast enough

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-25, 10:21   Link #535
Corn
Gotta kill 'em all!

Never seen Evangelion before, so I was interested in this movie so I could see what all the fuss is about.

But I don't know... I really don't like Shinji. Maybe he will be more cool in the three later movies, but I just don't like him very much. It was a strange movie. It had a strange beginning, and end.
Corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-25, 10:43   Link #536
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Emm...

Spoiler for Shinji's future:

Yup, Evangelion is strange from beginning to end. Which does make you wonder why people watch it, doesn't it?
Old 2008-04-25, 11:30   Link #537
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
Quote:
Emm...

Spoiler for Shinji's future:

Yup, Evangelion is strange from beginning to end. Which does make you wonder why people watch it, doesn't it?
Spoiler for shinji:
CeDeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-25, 12:14   Link #538
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn View Post
Never seen Evangelion before, so I was interested in this movie so I could see what all the fuss is about.

But I don't know... I really don't like Shinji. Maybe he will be more cool in the three later movies, but I just don't like him very much. It was a strange movie. It had a strange beginning, and end.

Shinji is the prototype for all emo teenagers in modern anime. If you seen a recent anime with a emo teenager blame it on Shinji

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeDeR View Post
Spoiler for shinji:
then he currently is, YES HE CAN

That is Shinji the King of All Emo Teen Pilots.
Old 2008-04-25, 23:37   Link #539
Arm
*Fansubber

edit: going to up a new one soon that's higher quality.

.ass timed to the IZ raw(credit goes to NERV for tl/edit).

Last edited by Arm; 2008-04-26 at 00:23.
Arm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-26, 04:00   Link #540
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

Quote:

Well in the old evangelion movie Shinji

Spoiler for EoE:

Tags
movie, remake