AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

View Poll Results: Is that jutsu the tails?
Yes, sad but true. 79 34.80%
No, I've waited this long and Kishimoto won't dissapoint. 148 65.20%
Voters: 227. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2006-06-21, 15:20   Link #1
ShikaShika
無罪

[Manga] "That jutsu"

First off, if there's a thread about this already then please delete a.s.a.p. I tried searching but "that jutsu" returns quite a few hits on the Naruto board.

Anyway, as many of you remember about 15 months ago Jiraiya warned Naruto about using that jutsu. Now there is still a lot of speculation and wishful thinking concerning the specifics of this jutsu, even though we've already probably seen it. Yes, you've probably seen me arguing in the manga threads that that jutsu is simply Naruto's ability to release kyuubi chakra forming a number of tails. I thought this finally deserved a topic for itself where we can debate this subject without interfering with other discussions.

So without further ado, let's present the arguements for

the "the tails are the jutsu" side.
  • Time. Normally when something is introduced mysteriously it is usually resolved within the same arc. (Excluding things introduced at the very start of the manga.) We saw the tails from Naruto in the very same arc as Jiraiya's warning, and excluding the oodama rasengan we have not seen anything else new from Naruto at all. For two whole arcs and 15 months! And now Kakashi is going to introduce something completely new into Naruto's arsenal.
  • The warning. One popular translation yields the following from Jiraiya
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jiraiya
    When you feel as though you're about to lose control, get a grip on yourself or you'll mess up. Becoming hot-headed too fast is your bad habit. Naruto, I know you know but... don't use that jutsu.
    Hot-headed? Losing control? Certainly fits the context of the tails.
  • The danger element. We can all certainly attest to the obvious danger of the tails, both to Naruto himself and to all around him. Jiraiya's warning should naturally refer to the most dangerous jutsu that Naruto is likely to use when becoming hot-headed. If that's not the tails, then what could be more dangerous? He even warned both Kakashi and Yamato about the tails.

The "we haven't seen that jutsu yet" side:
  • Releasing the tails is not a jutsu. Some may say that releasing the tails could not really be considered a jutsu.
  • ??? You'll have to fill in the rest...

I realize most of you would be heavily dissapointed if that jutsu turned out to be the tails, but logically speaking, isn't it the most likely answer? Anyway, I'm turning the word over to an open debate. This is my first poll so I hope it turns out ok, I've never seen anyone but me really argue that that jutsu is the tails so I wonder what the outcome will be...
ShikaShika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-21, 15:51   Link #2
Rurik
Golden

Ok, I voted for the, It is not the tail.

Here is why:

A) The tail growth should not be considering a Jutsu; it is just a Chakra release. I think is very cheep that Jiraya is calling that a Jutsu.

B) Given what Jiraya said to Naruto, about not using that Jutsu, and apart of this, Naruto making a face expression as he knew the consequence of this Jutsu, makes me believe is not the tails, at least 4 tails, given that Naruto has no recollection on the Tails consequence, yet, it seems he knows about that Jutsu consequence.

C) The Author would had trown a random quote saying something like: “Im going to use that Jutsu” “That Jutsu is dangerous, but I will use it”, “He used that Jutsu” etc.
Old 2006-06-21, 15:53   Link #3
Mr. Johnny 5
Konoha's ANBU

D) Usually when such a jutsu is used...backflashes referred to that scene: with Jiraiya warning Naruto not to use it is/are shown...that hasnt been shown so far...
Old 2006-06-21, 16:22   Link #4
Hunter
Bubbly and super fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uchiha_Rurik
A) The tail growth should not be considering a Jutsu; it is just a Chakra release. I think is very cheep that Jiraya is calling that a Jutsu.
Akamaru aiming his pee at something is a jutsu.
A jutsu merely means a technique, the art to do something or an ability. There are arguements to believe that growning tails can't be "That" jutsu but this one -which funny enough is the most often used- isn't one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Johnny 5
D) Usually when such a jutsu is used...backflashes referred to that scene: with Jiraiya warning Naruto not to use it is/are shown...that hasnt been shown so far...
Or a flashback of Jiraiya warning Kakashi in case it would happen.

Right now the only single thing making me believe the possibility of Naruto still having this so mysterious that jutsu is the fact that Sasuke got one of them.
If by any mean Kakashi's training involve a new that jutsu it would be the end of this possibility for me.
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-21, 16:33   Link #5
Souryu
nothing at all...

I think that "that jutsu" is the tails... Remember that i'm not talking about 4-tails, i'm talking about the ability of creating tails only. Maybe that's what Jiraiya taught Naruto, how to make use of kyubi's chakra... of course, when naruto reached the 4-tails and went berserk, Jiraiya noticed that was a bad thing and told naruto not to use it.

And... what else could it be? And why naruto didn't use it until now?
Souryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-21, 16:36   Link #6
Hunter
Bubbly and super fun

Yeah, I have a question for people thinking this jutsu being yet to be disclosed : what do you expect this jutsu to be?
I mean obviously Jiraiya was serious about it, solemn even. Yet we saw him talking about the danger of the tails to Kakashi and how to seal if that begins. Then we saw the same thing with Tsunade and Yamato and how he was chosen for this reason.
So the question is : what could be worse than something leading to MiniKyubi killing anyone at sight and destroying Naruto's body?
Old 2006-06-21, 16:57   Link #7
Zek
Eyebrows...

I agree with all the points made thus far; the four tails were not treated like a "that jutsu" traditionally is in this series. However, they definitely fit the bill of what Jiraiya was talking about given the context, and the more time goes on the more I think that it was the tails. It has been a really long time since Jiraiya said that. We've been through two full arcs, and Naruto is about to get another big training session. It doesn't make sense that there's a big important jutsu he's known all this time and still hasn't used.

Then again, it's still very likely that he hasn't really fought to his own full capacity yet. Up until the 4 Tails incident, Naruto was too emotional about all his major fights and relied heavily on Kyuubi every time. He didn't have any opportunities to show such a powerful new jutsu because Kyuubi kept taking over. After Yamato had that talk with him and helped him hold Kyuubi back, he was still in Kyuubi hangover mode and couldn't fight properly, not that there's been a real fight since then anyway. In other words, not once in Part 2 has he fought at full power without going Kyuubi. There is technically room in his repertoire for another jutsu.
Zek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-21, 17:07   Link #8
EadTaes
The Northern Guy

Send a message via AIM to EadTaes Send a message via MSN to EadTaes
A jutsu he c<hasnt yet fully mastered.

Like if he knows how to use yellow flash but hasnt mastered it yet and cant fully control it. It would be prety disaterous if he teleported into solid mater.

It can't be Naruto growing tails since Naruto did know about it consequences. Were when Jiraya warned Naruto, Naruto knew what they were talking about.

As for warning Kakashi and Yamato about the tails its only logical since at 4 Naruto loses control and doesnt remember a thing. And the reason for that is because tails seem to be released when Naruto loses self control over his anger. And Naruto would realy need some anger management clases. But dunno if that would help since he is just and emotional guy.

An other possibilaty but not as likely i thought up is: A way for Naruto to use the Kyubys chakra by not having to go into tails and losing control. Also since Jiraya knew he would be facing Uchihas in the future, maybe a way to mix Kyubys chakra with his own so the chakra couldnt be surpresed.

Because we know Jiraya wante dto teach Naruto how to better use the Kyuby. But obviously it isnt the only thing he would be teaching him.
EadTaes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-22, 13:25   Link #9
Rurik
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
Yeah, I have a question for people thinking this jutsu being yet to be disclosed : what do you expect this jutsu to be?
I mean obviously Jiraiya was serious about it, solemn even. Yet we saw him talking about the danger of the tails to Kakashi and how to seal if that begins. Then we saw the same thing with Tsunade and Yamato and how he was chosen for this reason.
So the question is : what could be worse than something leading to MiniKyubi killing anyone at sight and destroying Naruto's body?
That is a good question,..

Now, What this Jutsu would be? Quite simply, I’m expecting something that It is Dangerous to both Naruto and his opponent, and even maybe someone close to him (Yeah, Redundancy as I expect it to be almost the same as His Kyuby Manifestation), I go far as to say it could be A Kinjutsu, something that when Sasuke and Naruto go at it, instead of Having a Clash of Rasengan and Chidory, we would have a clash of Both Sasuke’s and Naruto’s “That Jutsu”.

I would not rule out the possibility that a the end that Jutsu turn out to be Kyuby Tails, but after Seen how Naruto reverted back to his normal from was in like “Ok Lets get Orochimaru”- He was unaware, and did not even felt any sort of guilt towards what happened, only after Yamato told him what Happened.
Old 2006-06-22, 13:40   Link #10
Hunter
Bubbly and super fun

So you think it will be something with the same kind of impact than the tails but different in its application. Do you have something more precise in mind?
And since the chapter 312 where we get to know for sure that Naruto will develop his own "ultimate Ninjutsu" you don't think that in a future jutsu clash between Sasuke & Naruto he would rather use this one?

I have two others questions for people believing in this that jutsu:
How many time would you still believe in the existance of this jutsu if there is no mention of it in the story?
What kind of event would it take for you to stop believing into it?

Last edited by Hunter; 2006-06-22 at 13:55.
Old 2006-06-22, 14:14   Link #11
T1BillionX

I want it to be something totaly opposite of the Kyubii.
T1BillionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-22, 14:50   Link #12
Dias_Nox

Im gunna go against the wholy kyuubi thing, just because yamato tells naruto NOT to use the kyuubi chakra, i know yamato is the man, so i dont think he would advise naruto against using what jiraiya has called "that jutsu". Also the times he does go into his tailed form its usually through severe distress. Against itachi he does go kyuubi (the face marks and what not) But he doesnt go tailed form, and still manages to pull of some powerful moves (oodoma rasengan). It doesnt seem to fit that going berzerk is a jutsu :P Maybe what jiraiya meant, is that the jutsu he taught naruto is too powerful to just be casually used, and if naruto were to get hot headed or pissed off he would use it on a whim
Dias_Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-22, 15:08   Link #13
xyz
none

Considering that Kakashi is going to train Naruto in order for him to create his own über jutsu that will be more powerfull than the rasengan etc... it's seems that the infamous "that jutsu" who Jiraiya was talking about is just the tails coz obviouly Naruto new super attack will be the one that he'll learn with Kakashi.

If there was a "that jutsu" then why bother learning a new one with Kakashi ?

Last edited by xyz; 2006-06-22 at 16:41.
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-22, 16:07   Link #14
Ero-Senn1n

My ultimate answer is that it would totally suck if in 2,5 years with Jiraiya Naruto did not TRY to learn any "that"-level jutsu. I mean he did not even learn to use it safely, so how could i believe that the main character did not half-learn only 1 (one) high level jutsu.
Ero-Senn1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-22, 16:19   Link #15
Luminion Lancer
Time-diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz
If there was a "that jutsu" then why bother learning a new one with Kakashi ?
-This thought just struck me a while ago. Could it be that Naruto took Jiraya's warning to heart and is simply planning to not "that" jutsu since he doesn't want to break his promise? Assuming that the unknown jutsu is not the ability to manifest more Kyuubi tails it could very well be something Naruto learned the consequence of and is planning on using it only in completely desperate situations.

-Why bother learning a new one you ask? Well why not? It is always good to up the arsenal of your attacks so I don't see a problem with Naruto learning his own ''ultimate'' jutsu. If 1 jutsu of your techniques is forbidden for you to use then why not learn a new one to make sure you don't use the forbidden one? In conclusion I would just like to say just because we haven't seen Naruto use "that" jutsu in the last 2 Arcs doesn't mean that it is simply the releasing of more tails. Maybe Kishimoto-sensei is saving it for another occassion or he himself hasn't really thought of how it works yet.
Old 2006-06-22, 16:23   Link #16
Rurik
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
So you think it will be something with the same kind of impact than the tails but different in its application. Do you have something more precise in mind?
And since the chapter 312 where we get to know for sure that Naruto will develop his own "ultimate Ninjutsu" you don't think that in a future jutsu clash between Sasuke & Naruto he would rather use this one?
Mmmm, I will say in part yes- same impact of the tails different application, development, consequences, etc- But something he at least has control on, something he can decide wether to use it or not, not something that only is present or is created as product of his mood swings, in other words, Call the Kyuby Chakra, which we can say he can do it in any situation, and do the Jutsu.

In other hand, we can say that Naruto consciously decided to convert in to 4 tails, but then you have to convince me that he knew exactly what happened when he almost killed jiraiya.

And the new Jutsu that Naruto is going to learn is what have open my doubt of this Jutsu been something not shown yet, Why learn another Bigger than life Jutsu when he has already has one to show?

BTW, Regarding calling it that Jutsu, I also remembered that Gaara’s Shukaku’s manifestation was considered as “that Jutsu” also.

Quote:
I have two others questions for people believing in this that jutsu:
How many time would you still believe in the existance of this jutsu if there is no mention of it in the story?
What kind of event would it take for you to stop believing into it?
You are one slick Poster; I refuse to answer those questions .

Really, I would leave the benefit on the Jutsu for at least Naruto next fight participation.

-If in this fight Naruto Throw everything including the Kitchen sink, and no sighting of this Jutsu, then I will 100% convinced that it was the Kyuby 4T manifestation.

Remember that Naruto has not fought without converting himself into the tail thingy, maybe this is the reason why he has not had the opportunity to use that Jutsu.

Last edited by Rurik; 2006-06-23 at 15:04.
Rurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-22, 16:28   Link #17
Luminion Lancer
Time-diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uchiha_Rurik
You are one slick Poster; I refuse to answer those questions .

Really, I would leave the benefit on the Jutsu for at least Naruto next fight participation.

-If in this fight Naruto Throw everything including the Kitchen sink, and no sighting of this Jutsu, then I will 100% convinced that it was the Kyuby 4T manifestation.

Remember that Naruto has not fought without converting himself into the tail thingy, maybe this is the reason why he has not had the opportunity to use that Jutsu.
-I agree with you there. I would rather see what Naruto can do rather than just assume on "circumstance". If Naruto doesn't do something which can be claimed as "that" jutsu then we can conclude that it was indeed the tails.
Old 2006-06-22, 17:01   Link #18
xyz
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatonMakai
-This thought just struck me a while ago. Could it be that Naruto took Jiraya's warning to heart and is simply planning to not "that" jutsu since he doesn't want to break his promise? Assuming that the unknown jutsu is not the ability to manifest more Kyuubi tails it could very well be something Naruto learned the consequence of and is planning on using it only in completely desperate situations.

-Why bother learning a new one you ask? Well why not? It is always good to up the arsenal of your attacks so I don't see a problem with Naruto learning his own ''ultimate'' jutsu. If 1 jutsu of your techniques is forbidden for you to use then why not learn a new one to make sure you don't use the forbidden one? In conclusion I would just like to say just because we haven't seen Naruto use "that" jutsu in the last 2 Arcs doesn't mean that it is simply the releasing of more tails. Maybe Kishimoto-sensei is saving it for another occassion or he himself hasn't really thought of how it works yet.
Well assuming that Jiraiya told him to not use "that jutsu" it certainly must be dangerous at some point (and the tails are ^_^ ) but I really don't think that Jiraiya would taught Naruto a reckless move like the Death God summon for example.

If there was a "that jutsu" that would be Naruto's ultimate trump card, something he could not use carelessly and only to defeat a very strong opponent ...& as far as we known the jutsu he'll learn with Kakashi is going to be "that jutsu".

Of course the more you know powerfull jutsu the better it is but you cannot have a collection of "that jutsu" so unless the one he'll learn with Kakashi is going to be crap I don't think there will be another very special jutsu.

Last edited by xyz; 2006-06-22 at 18:58.
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-22, 18:39   Link #19
full_metal_sousuke

Send a message via AIM to full_metal_sousuke
no no no no its not the tails. We will eventually see "that jutsu" in a fight. Maybe we will see Naruto use his "That Jutsu" against Sasuke's "That Jutsu"
manga chapter 335 "The Amazing showdown of "That Jutsu" Naruto and sasuke face off using "that jutus"
Old 2006-06-22, 18:53   Link #20
tritoch

Maybe Naruto will use it vs. Kakashi. training.
tritoch is offline   Reply With Quote