AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-08-06, 09:39   Link #61
parrywrinkle

The only thing I'm uncomfortable with is how they sheath their claymores after they're done with them. They wouldn't be able to sheath it into a scabbard that they carry behind them due to the angle the claymores can enter the scabbard at and the length of their arms. But in the anime, that's what it seems they do. Maybe they use high powered magnets or carry something really sticky on their backs all the time, so they don't really sheath it but stick it back.
Old 2007-08-06, 10:13   Link #62
Panzerklein
In cash we trust!

Because it just a anime, not real life. There have many unreals, like in many game is how character can hold polearm weapon on thier back without anything to hold.
Old 2007-08-06, 10:44   Link #63
Goofus Maximus
Senile Member

I don't think that thing on their back is a scabbard, actually. Rather, it's just a metal disk with a slot on the top (okay, TWO slots; one for rightys and one for leftys), with the slot being somewhat larger than the width of the claymore blade.

The question is, how do they sheath their swords without stabbing themselves in the back or piercing their cloaks?
Old 2007-08-06, 11:00   Link #64
Panzerklein
In cash we trust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofus Maximus View Post
I don't think that thing on their back is a scabbard, actually. Rather, it's just a metal disk with a slot on the top (okay, TWO slots; one for rightys and one for leftys), with the slot being somewhat larger than the width of the claymore blade.

The question is, how do they sheath their swords without stabbing themselves in the back or piercing their cloaks?
No problem with the width of the blade part and scabbard, but problem is the lenght of sword and their arm, their arm is shorter than the sword so much, it not easy to sheath or draw the sword to the scabbard, but they did it like do with a dagger with the dagger's cover.
Old 2007-08-06, 21:49   Link #65
TheNewbSwordsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofus Maximus View Post

lots and lots of practice
Old 2008-05-03, 14:25   Link #66
chibamonster
'S' Class Fairy Tail

Hehe, who would have thought that some of the questions posed by this thread would be answered as well? At least according to the Chinese translations that have been shown... Also some of the stuff in the image thread would be much better suited for this thread where the swordsman of the forum could talk unrestrained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuken View Post
Some claymore swords.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerklein View Post
They are like Longsword than 2-handed sword.
Spoiler for some real Two-handed sword:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsart View Post
From top to bottom.

16th/17th century Scottish Claymore*

16th century German true two handed Sword often named a Flamberger (Flamebringer). Famous because of the German Landsknechts.

15th century bastard (half and a hand) sword like weapon. hard to tell in the picture

15th/17th century true two-hander or great sword. Italian maybe?

But yes! They are all longswords

* All sottish swords are often referred to as claymore. Even the older shorter one. these sword are recognizable because of they're V shaped crossguards wich appear some were in the 14th century or maybe even earlier.
Old 2008-05-04, 01:58   Link #67
Panzerklein
In cash we trust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsart View Post
From top to bottom.

16th/17th century Scottish Claymore*

16th century German true two handed Sword often named a Flamberger (Flamebringer). Famous because of the German Landsknechts.

15th century bastard (half and a hand) sword like weapon. hard to tell in the picture

15th/17th century true two-hander or great sword. Italian maybe?

But yes! They are all longswords

* All sottish swords are often referred to as claymore. Even the older shorter one. these sword are recognizable because of they're V shaped crossguards wich appear some were in the 14th century or maybe even earlier.
Nope, Longsword is not Two-handed sword, it is is usually used by 1 hand (Cavalry) or 1 and half hand (Infantry), almost Infantry use 1 and half hand if they don't use shield or when they exhaust, but almost medieval Infantry use shield, so they use just 1 hand :|.
Spoiler for Medieval Longsword:
Old 2008-05-04, 02:08   Link #68
Ryuken
Claymore #01

Good work Chiba, you showed the guys our swords.
Old 2008-05-09, 02:13   Link #69
Hisoka??
Ultra noob

Quote:
Why titanium is good material for armor will is poor fo a sword?
If i remember my engineering materials correctly titanium has imbalanced tensile str. In one angle it's incredibly strong but in the other(90degree difference) it's very weak.
Old 2008-05-09, 05:36   Link #70
Df-tommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claymore_Obsessed View Post
In episode 10, I have noticed that the hilts have different colors, green, brown... maybe they get their swords with a custom color? ^^
Hello,
someone in this forum mentioned that the color of the sword's hilt may be related to the owner's class (Green for defensive-type warriors and red for offensive-type warriors). Single digit warriors' hilts are blue.
Old 2008-05-09, 08:24   Link #71
chibamonster
'S' Class Fairy Tail

Now that is something I did not notice Df-tommy. That is an interesting addition to the story the anime would have made. From the colored page in the most recent chapter I can't see Miria's hilt and from her extra chapter hers appears to be black although it is washed out in the rain. Teresa's hilt looks to be a simmilar washed out in her extra chapter cover. Clarice's sword appears to have a black hilt from her cover on chapter 74. Clare also seems to have a black one. Galatea's hilt is the same color as her nuns dress on the cover of 76. From the colored pages it seems that they are all black, but for the anime to do that it would be pretty cool. Maybe I'll look for it next time I'm watching.

Colors can be hard to tell in black and white manga, like silver eyes or Clarice's colored hair. I think the anime did a really good job with hair colors of claymores and the like.
Old 2008-05-09, 09:33   Link #72
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisoka??
If i remember my engineering materials correctly titanium has imbalanced tensile str. In one angle it's incredibly strong but in the other(90degree difference) it's very weak.
Regardless what material their claymores are made out of, at a cursory glance, the weapons are all probably horribly unbalanced in real life. (The pommel is far too tiny in relation to the length and size of the blade. A pommel is supposed to serve as a counterweight to balance a sword, usually at around 1/3 of its length, measured from the tip of its hilt.) In addition to great strength, every warrior probably needs tendons of solid steel to wield their claymores without causing injury to themselves.
Old 2008-05-09, 18:37   Link #73
hell88
Banned

Location: Canada, but sometimes in La La-Land hanging out with Midori-chan89
Quote:
Originally Posted by chibamonster View Post
Now that is something I did not notice Df-tommy. That is an interesting addition to the story the anime would have made. From the colored page in the most recent chapter I can't see Miria's hilt and from her extra chapter hers appears to be black although it is washed out in the rain. Teresa's hilt looks to be a simmilar washed out in her extra chapter cover. Clarice's sword appears to have a black hilt from her cover on chapter 74. Clare also seems to have a black one. Galatea's hilt is the same color as her nuns dress on the cover of 76. From the colored pages it seems that they are all black, but for the anime to do that it would be pretty cool. Maybe I'll look for it next time I'm watching.

Colors can be hard to tell in black and white manga, like silver eyes or Clarice's colored hair. I think the anime did a really good job with hair colors of claymores and the like.
In the anime you can see the different coloured hilts, I'm just not sure how many colours there are I never checked.

The anime did do a good job but the anime made the claymore's look a little older then in the manga I think.
Old 2008-05-09, 19:13   Link #74
Panzerklein
In cash we trust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell88 View Post
In the anime you can see the different coloured hilts, I'm just not sure how many colours there are I never checked.

The anime did do a good job but the anime made the claymore's look a little older then in the manga I think.
3 colors, Green for Defensive type, Red for Offensive tye, and Blue for Single Digit.
Old 2008-05-10, 09:40   Link #75
hell88
Banned

Location: Canada, but sometimes in La La-Land hanging out with Midori-chan89
Quote:
3 colors, Green for Defensive type, Red for Offensive tye, and Blue for Single Digit.
Thanks I have been trying to figure that out forever, but I thought I saw black before one time. Oh well must have seen wrong I guess.
Old 2008-05-12, 20:55   Link #76
Vinak
Procrastinator

one thing that bothers me about the Claymores.
Why do they insist on blocking a sword slash blade to blade?

You are supposed to block with the bunt side of the sword to prevent damage to the blade. dents cuts etc.

but i guess that's not a problem when you own a blade that is made out of a material that is reminiscent to diamonds. might as well be Adamantium
Old 2008-07-06, 11:54   Link #77
Vachel
Lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejinathan View Post
I would carry that sword and swing with no problems with 1 hand. There are men that can take 700-800 lb in this world you know and i can just maybe take over 230-250 lb i guess.

But the swing speed is something different.

Can take? What is it you mean exactly? The whole point of a sword is being able to utilize speed. In any event the numbers you post are moronic.
Old 2008-07-07, 21:05   Link #78
graywolf202

Hullo. Newbie here. Just thought about a way how Claymores sheath/unsheath their big swords. The main idea is it's all about the scabbard: they use a short clam-like scabbard instead of a tube-like scabbard. I'll be posting it here soon, just give me time to draw stuff.
Old 2008-07-08, 17:54   Link #79
babuji
Alston De Ventigo

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by graywolf202 View Post
Hullo. Newbie here. Just thought about a way how Claymores sheath/unsheath their big swords. The main idea is it's all about the scabbard: they use a short clam-like scabbard instead of a tube-like scabbard. I'll be posting it here soon, just give me time to draw stuff.

Well, due to claymore strength, they just unsheath it in a straight movement. More precisely, an upright movement.
Old 2008-07-08, 20:35   Link #80
Cyclone
Transient Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by babuji View Post
Well, due to claymore strength, they just unsheath it in a straight movement. More precisely, an upright movement.
The problem with that is the sword's length - it's longer than the arm.
That could be solved with a partial scabbard - like the one Guts uses in Berserk, but the problem here is that their Claymores are under their capes, which seem to be attached to their shoulder pieces, but that yeilds us back to the same problem we started with.
The model of Clare doesn't seem to yield any clues either...
Closed Thread