AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: -Your- picks for the best songs in Macross Frontier [Multiple-pick Option Enabled]
Welcome To My FanClub's Night! 67 21.34%
Shinkuu no Diamond Crevasse 108 34.39%
Aimo ~Tori no Hito 83 26.43%
Infinity 84 26.75%
Diamond Crevasse ~Sheryl Only♥ 184 58.60%
Northern Cross 150 47.77%
Anata no Oto 55 17.52%
Seikan Hikōu 82 26.11%
Yousei 98 31.21%
Ai Oboete Imasu ka ~Ranka 76 24.20%
Watashi no Kare wa Pilot 30 9.55%
Lion 165 52.55%
Diamond Crevasse 50/50 36 11.46%
Aoi no Ether 49 15.61%
Neko Nikki 20 6.37%
Nyan Nyan Service Medley 101 32.17%
What 'bout my star?@Formo 109 34.71%
Triangler ~ Maaya Sakomoto 71 22.61%
Iteza☆Gogo Kuji Don't be late 88 28.03%
What 'bout my star? ~Sheryl 78 24.84%
Aimo OC 52 16.56%
Triangular - Duet - 93 29.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 314. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-10-15, 13:50   Link #1121
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
You do realize that her Frontier OSTS have massively outsold everything else she has done? If you want to see Kanno phoning it in I'll point you towards the Darker Than Black OSTs... which btw didn't even get a second ost release which makes the sentence I quoted laughably wrong since DTB was Kanno's last OST prior to this series.

You could say that Kanno's stock was at an all time low with DTB before bouncing back to bcome her best ever with Frontier.
Yeah, I know it massively outsold everything she's ever done. Music doesn't actually have to be good or even fresh to sell to Otaku. The OST also has Macross Frontier, May N' (Popular + Sheryl) and Megumi Nakajima (Up and coming + Ranka) behind it. It was going to sell huge no matter what was on the CD. I imagine it could have been blank after the first track and still sold insanely well.

For me though, just being Yoko Kanno is not good enough, and personally I think she's one of the most overrated composer in the anime industry and beyond with many lesser known names actually putting a lot more effort and style into their OSTs. She, like anyone else has to make me want to listen to her music. That barely happened with this OST and pretty much the only reason I would listen to some of the songs more then once was for Megumi Nakajima and to a lesser extent May N'. The reason I don't like May N' as much is for the often nasally tone in her singing voice, which can get a bit much at times.

And I actually don't have a really rigid view of music. My tastes range from classical all the way to experimental such as Beck. Pretty much the only genre of music I don't like is Screamo. However, I will be brutally honest if I think an artist can do much better or isn't trying as much as they used to, which I think is the case with Kanno. And now that this OST has outsold anything she's ever done I doubt she'll ever have reason to try again. Her name alone clearly sells OSTs so she might as well retire and start collecting royalties off of commercial use of her "music" and rereleases of her old OSTs.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 14:10   Link #1122
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Well Kaioshin, I'll just say that your entire post is pointing the wrong direction.

My brother who hardly watches anime, is the one who bought all of Macross Frontier's cds. And I'm very sure that there are much more people like him who watched Frontier because its partly mainstream and has great music and bought the cds because they aren't people who download like us, otaku, but people who actually appreciate music.

Me and my bro don't listen to similar music all the time, but Macross Frontier is one that we both agree has great music.

You are now on that side similar to those ''Code Geass is a trainwreck' people', if I were to make it clear to you.

If Yoko Kanno wasn't putting in effort, how did she get every single one of Macross Frontier's CD up the oricon charts? Oh, yea you were saying her name sells. Then I'll just use my brother again, to tell you that he bought the songs even though he never heard a single Yoko Kanno song before.

Well, just giving you more examples of people, like the most, if not all others on this thread who thinks Yoko Kanno really did a great job with the songs.

But yes of course, its your opinion, like all others who always say its their opinion and others have no right to reject it. The internet is a place to realise such things.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 14:35   Link #1123
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post

You are now on that side similar to those ''Code Geass is a trainwreck' people', if I were to make it clear to you.
No I'm not. I liked the first OST well enough, but found this one lacklustre. The "trainwreck" people just bash everything about something without even stopping to consider if there are some good aspects behind it. I found some things I like about this OST, but many more things I felt made it lacklustre. Heck, I even felt Yoko Kanno did a decent job on some of the songs, but that just wasn't enough when I look at OST as a whole. Hence the whole 6/10 average thing.

Quote:
If Yoko Kanno wasn't putting in effort, how did she get every single one of Macross Frontier's CD up the oricon charts? Oh, yea you were saying her name sells. Then I'll just use my brother again, to tell you that he bought the songs even though he never heard a single Yoko Kanno song before.
Because her name is Yoko Kanno, I mean .....you do realize the power of name and good marketing in the music industry don't you? Look at Ali Project for example, they've been putting out pretty much the same song for a few years now, but because they have been well marketed and have been featured in a lot of anime soundtracks they have become popular and will continue to sell their CD's for some time yet and get even more contracts for anime. Their name is well known and they will continue to find work.

As for your brother, perhaps he just really likes the style of music to begin with or took a chance on it. I would ask whether he has heard her name before or not and that she's supposed to be teh best. Did you ask him if he took a recommendation on it? Also your brother is just one person out of many, and he's not in the core demographic the OST is aiming at. There will always be outliers and that includes me as a person who doesn't think this OST is up to par.
Old 2008-10-15, 14:55   Link #1124
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Quote.
Damn lol, I was expecting a more agitated response from you, I'm a little disappointed that it wasn't. But nevermind lol

Yes, you mostly make good points, but I must also tell you that you always have some sort of 'I expect alot more from someone supposedly great, if not I'm rooting for the underdog or Sunrise(example only, I know you also root Bones and such).' type of tone in your posts.

But for my brother, I was telling him the music is from Yoko Kanno from the start of Macross F and he says he never heard of her before lol

If he had any recommendations, its watching the show itself lol. He's not a regular anime watcher, just watches some that I tell him is good.

As for Ali Project and their style, its a Japanese music industry thing. Unless you're so incredibly popular, you must keep to your unique style until you are that popular. Its their way to make each singer unique and accumulate fans from there. Then when you are like 30% Ayumi or Boa, you get to expand to other styles or something. These anime theme singers don't get to be too popular and mainstream, so they get stuck to their extremely unique styles that must be repeated all the time. But still they gain from their niche audience, its their way, we can't do anything about it.

But Yoko Kanno is much more broader, her style differs alot, except for her love of latin and such.

And the reason why this OST sells so well is exactly because of those songs that you gave 6/10. Because it contains these sogns, it is 10/10 for the rest of us.

This isn't really a song album for a single singer or something, its just part 2 of an anime's OST. If you have to judge it, you have to judge all OSTs together, then judge it as a whole anime's OST.

Old 2008-10-15, 16:39   Link #1125
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
I don't want to sound too off topic-ish, but you could probably count me as one of those folks. IMO, R2 was a train wreck, its inexcusable how R2 proceeded and ended.

Actually I am confused. I love Season I, but R2 confused the crap out of me, I don't know what to think about CG anymore *ugh*

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 16:46   Link #1126
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
I don't want to sound too off topic-ish, but you could probably count me as one of those folks. IMO, R2 was a train wreck, its inexcusable how R2 proceeded and ended.

Actually I am confused. I love Season I, but R2 confused the crap out of me, I don't know what to think about CG anymore *ugh*

- Tak
Everyone has their own likes and dislikes, I acknowledge such but at the same time hate it when people have to bash instead of just ignoring and understanding its them not the show that's having problems. This is the case for shows where lots of people like it but have people not liking, not cases like Dragonaut. Its just human nature not to have love and peace lol

I'll not go on with this here, but Kaioshin has been settled by me and over msn as well, I just like arguing with him lol

His stand is actually very simple, he just likes to be the critic to something everyone loves and when something gets overbashed he becomes the defender.

Old 2008-10-15, 23:04   Link #1127
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:

- Tak
See, I love how people do that, anytime I start to state my own opinion on something else they like to push buttons by bringing up issues of contention, specifically words I despise. You know what though, I'll just counter that I find it inexcusable that someone could put out a CD that is almost entirely composed of remixes and charge full price for it. I love OST 1, but OST 2 confuses the crap out of me. I don't know what to think of Yoko Kanno anymore. I'd like to see her get her career back on the tracks.

I'm good now.
Old 2008-10-16, 06:27   Link #1128
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
See, I love how people do that, anytime I start to state my own opinion on something else they like to push buttons by bringing up issues of contention, specifically words I despise. You know what though, I'll just counter that I find it inexcusable that someone could put out a CD that is almost entirely composed of remixes and charge full price for it. I love OST 1, but OST 2 confuses the crap out of me. I don't know what to think of Yoko Kanno anymore. I'd like to see her get her career back on the tracks.

I'm good now.
OT : I love how you make puns, serious. From music to tracks then to trainwrecks, those words are so subtly related in a sense.

It is okay though, people just have different views of music. For me I feel that people who say that real music is classical music and metal is sound are ignoramuses and should be wiped out via genocide off the face of the earth.

Otherwise, I think that music and sound are the same thing, it is just that music is sound purposefully arranged to convey emotions. But the thing is, won't one feel sick of having the same feeling everyday? That is why people who are happy everyday go crazy, and people who are sad everyday eventually commit suicide or homicide.

Not every musician is recognised by everyone, I don't think Mandopop fans know who is Rick Rubin, nor any hardcore rocker know who is Jay Chou. Everyone has their own tastes, but siding with an elitist view of music and sound is no different from being a facist dictator who had his neurons cauterised (which will lead to severe retardation).

What you hear everyday is how you define it, that is why we have interesting pieces such as George Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue (which consists of some strange "instruments") and Kumikuyou No Suzumiya Haruhi (which is about a strange girl who is supposedly God). I have the urge run around my neighbourhood naked shouting "TOUCH MY BODY" everytime I hear an idiot make a semi-retarded comment about how good music are like sweets and the (w)rappers should be thrown away.

This is just my two cents worth of thoughts (thinking is a cheap act, that is why it is discouraged in school--which I never did well in). Hope it has some sense in it.

P.S Jay Chou's new album got owned. It only managed to sell 90,106 copies in the first week.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-16, 09:33   Link #1129
hai_san

Well about Macross Frontier OST 1&2 i find both excellent, the insert songs/OPs/EPs could be considered the best i've heared in 5-10 years. Also note that it isn't just 1 or 2 songs that stand out, normaly in an anime serie you get 1 or 2 songs that great (the last anime serie which has OST/songs such quality & quantity i considered would only be Honey&Clover), but in Macross Frontier there are many many songs that fantastic.

About Kanno, i think her work for Macross was great especially the songs, but for great BGMs i like her work in Vision of Escaflowe best.
hai_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-17, 23:52   Link #1130
vision33r
Oldskool Otaku

I find the 2 OSTs quite refreshing compare to most anime OST.

OST2 appealed to a larger audience because of the anime's popularity and it features 2 distinctively difference style singers.

You have Sheryl who is unlike the common squeaky voice J-pop singers. Nakajima is kind of squeaky but she has a nice tone.

The mixing done in OST2 is a bit "experimental" I wouldn't say amateurish, it's done with a little polish rather than the over-distilled remixes we here on the radio.

Basically OST2 offers a little for everyone with different taste. I get tired sometimes of the same Jpop format.

Well done.
vision33r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-18, 01:21   Link #1131
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
You have Sheryl who is unlike the common squeaky voice J-pop singers. Nakajima is kind of squeaky but she has a nice tone.
What are you talking about man? How is this at all squeaky or anything she does for that matter. I'd honestly have to say that May N' is the more typical squeaky J-Pop artist. Okay not so much squeaky, just nasally. Honestly, if I had never heard either of them before and didn't know who they were and you asked to listen to the two side by side and guess who was the more experienced one, I'd go with Nakajima. She has a lot more control, whereas May N' tends to oversing.
Old 2008-10-18, 01:29   Link #1132
Tak

Quote:
She has a lot more control, whereas May N' tends to oversing.
Control? More like monotonous.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-10-18, 02:07   Link #1133
Ottocycle

Quote:
Control? More like monotonous.

- Tak
Depends on mindset of the listener, doesn't it? Though I'd prefer using 'less expressive' instead of an extreme term like monotonous...
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-18, 02:37   Link #1134
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
What are you talking about man? How is this at all squeaky or anything she does for that matter. I'd honestly have to say that May N' is the more typical squeaky J-Pop artist. Okay not so much squeaky, just nasally. Honestly, if I had never heard either of them before and didn't know who they were and you asked to listen to the two side by side and guess who was the more experienced one, I'd go with Nakajima. She has a lot more control, whereas May N' tends to oversing.
I wouldn't say oversing as May'n song are better when the vocalist puts more emotion in it. Best example is Northern Cross and Diamond Crevasse. Yousei though is rather overproduced in my view, I think it would have been better if they kept it simpler (especially near the end) so it be more focused on the vocal instead.

I can't say which is better honestly in technical sense since both were given very different type of songs to sing. But for the duets, May'n voice does tend to overpower Nakajima for most part.
Old 2008-10-18, 02:50   Link #1135
TwilightHack
~ Madoka = Win ~

As far as the dynamics of music are concerned... its unfair to compare people with different singing styles.

But! From what we've seen, May'n has shown a greater range than Megumi.

in the shadows i lurk... but nevertheless there i am...
TwilightHack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-18, 07:44   Link #1136
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightHack View Post
But! From what we've seen, May'n has shown a greater range than Megumi.
QFT.

Plus, I like the sound of her voice better. Seems more mature, whereas Mamegu's voice is way too childish, for me.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-18, 07:56   Link #1137
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
I can't say which is better honestly in technical sense since both were given very different type of songs to sing. But for the duets, May'n voice does tend to overpower Nakajima for most part.
Actually it is just like comparing the voices of an adult to a child, for most of the time the adult is louder as he/she has more developed vocal cords.

The reason why Megumi is a little "monotone" is because she cannot stretch too much of her vocal cords, or else she will become high and squeaky. It has all got to do with the development of the larynx and diaphragm, which results in varying voices and tones for singers across the level.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-18, 12:52   Link #1138
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Sometimes power isn't everything. I'll still take Nakajima's quieter vocals over May N's nasal inflection any day of the weak.
Old 2008-10-18, 13:02   Link #1139
Tak

Quote:
Sometimes power isn't everything. I'll still take Nakajima's quieter vocals over May N's nasal inflection any day of the weak.
Then think what you want, but as you can see, we just don't agree.

- Tak

Old 2008-10-18, 13:34   Link #1140
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Exactly. Thank God we're not all the same, eh?

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
music