AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-07-23, 16:57   Link #501
Darial
Otaku in disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm View Post
She's probably the single most spontaneous character that we've had in many a season. (In fact, her greatest weakness is that she generally acts on her feelings before stopping to think.)
That's why I think I am such a big fan of her. There's something utterly spontaneous and direct in her actions (other than the fact M'ayn's songs are great).
Old 2008-07-23, 16:59   Link #502
magnuskn

Quote:
magnuskn said that Sheryl's approach to Alto was more mature. What does that have to do with being reserved?

Ranka may be good at praising Alto, but she's terrible when it comes to actually expressing her feelings. She's much too concious of whether Alto will approve of her actions or not.

When Sheryl wants to do something with Alto, she takes the initiative. She's probably the single most spontaneous character that we've had in many a season (In fact, her greatest weakness is that she generally acts on her feelings before stopping to think.)
You can all just call me Magnus, itīs my first name. The "kn" part are the two first letters of my last name.

And I totally concur with your thoughts about Sheryl... itīs a great part of what makes her appealing, along with her graciousness to Ranka, her self-confidence, looks, voice, and, well, all that together which makes her Sheryl.
Old 2008-07-23, 17:15   Link #503
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone_wolf View Post
Ah the line in "Romeo and Juliet"! The screenshot fits.

--Lone Wolf
一匹狼
You know, if there was another woman in Romeo's life, I think that whole play would have been far more interesting... just a thought

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-07-23, 17:17   Link #504
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
You know, if there was another woman in Romeo's life, I think that whole play would have been far more interesting... just a thought
You mean like Rosaline?

(Technically, that's cheating, but still...)
Old 2008-07-23, 17:18   Link #505
Tak

Quote:
You mean like Rosaline?
Bah, someone not so secondary.

But if you ask me... Romeo and Juliet probably deserved their deaths. Throughout the whole play, I've encountered only a few situations were they actually sat down and think about something. Everything to them was so spontaneous that it simply didn't analyze the possible consequences...

Then again, I am not really a fan of Shakespeare anyway, so I can't really comment extensively.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-07-23, 17:39   Link #506
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Bah, someone not so secondary.

But if you ask me... Romeo and Juliet probably deserved their deaths. Throughout the whole play, I've encountered only a few situations were they actually sat down and think about something. Everything to them was so spontaneous that it simply didn't analyze the possible consequences...

- Tak
Yeah, they were rather impulsive...they didn't really think rationally. But then again, Macbeth and Hamlet were the same way...

--Lone Wolf
一匹狼
Old 2008-07-23, 18:18   Link #507
ickem
シェリルの為に!

Quote:
Yeah, they were rather impulsive...they didn't really think rationally. But then again, Macbeth and Hamlet were the same way...

--Lone Wolf
一匹狼
Which いs to be expected since they were something like 16 and 13 respectively if I remember right. Even given the fact the children of that era had to "grow up" considerably faster than their modern counterparts, people of that age aren't usually that sharpest tools in the shed. I figure it's because of the all the hormones running rampant . Well I've never really liked Romeo and Juliet so I keep silently for them to get a clue every time I read it.
Old 2008-07-24, 00:01   Link #508
stray
Classic Yandere

Quote:
We aren't dealing with real people so much as we are with the script writers' impressions of how real people act, so trying to study the psychology of the characters probably won't give you special insights into the characters' behavior.

In Ranka's case, many people seem to describe her as dependent. So if we can understand how Ranka's actions match up with people in our own experiences who exhibit dependent traits, then we might gain some insight into why we feel that way.
I can respect that; I was mostly playing foil to OD, who seemed to be painting things in a far too positive light, and yourself, who was looking at it almost too negatively, I thought. It's a tough issue, regardless; I don't think anyone really wants to be someone's security blanket in a relationship, but at the same time I don't think anyone wants to feel like they're not important, or needed to some degree.

Quote:
Now as you pointed out, Alto goes from being kinda cool to being a bit of an ass from episode six onwards. But when you consider that she's willing to take both Ozma and Michael to task for being similarily unresponsive, her attempts to go out of her way to regain Alto's favour once again come across as appeasement.
I don't know if the Ozma and Michael situations apply, per se... but really I just tried to look at things from her perspective and off the cuff that seemed a fairly likely scenario.

Quote:
Grooming is very important. Otherwise, you might end up with these.
LMFAO... classic

Quote:
crisis made some insightful comments about how relationships are portrayed in a story, in the previous page. In a series which throws in a token romance, it's enough for the writers to simply tell us that the two characters in question like each other. But if this relationship is an essential part of the story, then we need shown how and why the characters relate the way that they do.
I'm going to revisit this one come October or so, when we've seen all there is to see...

Quote:
In Ranka's case, the problem is that we see her reactions instead of her feelings. So while it's clear that she doesn't want to lose Alto to Sheryl, it's not entirely clear why she's interested in him as a person to begin with.
Speaking of Shakespeare, I'd just like to say... thank the gods and goddesses that the soliloquy/monologue didn't really survive into the film arts. Iambic pentameter is kind of nifty though.

Really, though, I don't think it's that clear to Ranka either. But, they seem to bring out something in each other, sometimes that's really enough.

Quote:
If a crush evolves, then it stops being a crush. It's almost like saying "If two people grow to love each other, then they'll love each other."
It's got alot of negative connotations tho. At least it's not a sitcom, where a crush can go a solid 8 seasons...

All told, I mean... she looks 11, she's got dog ears, and fleas, dissociative amnesia, and the guy she started to like is now maybe dating the Galactic Fairy... but she just kind of picks her head up and gets back to following her dreams, and her heart, in a really sweet, if sometimes misguided way. Even though I'm not particularly pushing for a RankaXAlto end, I gotta respect that.

Quote:
That's your segue into "We'll wait and see," right?
sigh... first crisis and now you... I'm getting way too predictable
Old 2008-07-24, 00:06   Link #509
sekidousai
Ra-ou
*Graphic Designer

Quote:

--Lone Wolf
一匹狼
Macbeth i believe should have been the name of Macross.
Old 2008-07-24, 00:15   Link #510
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekidousai View Post
Macbeth i believe should have been the name of Macross.
Valkyries forbid, I am glad Kawamori stood his ground on that one.

- Tak

Old 2008-07-24, 00:18   Link #511
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Valkyries forbid, I am glad Kawamori stood his ground on that one.

- Tak
Yeah same here.

The last thing we need is for a Macross character to spout off lines from Macbeth like:

"Double, DOuble, Toil and trouble..." or "Frailty thy name is woman"

--Lone Wolf
一匹狼
Old 2008-07-24, 00:22   Link #512
Tak

Quote:
Yeah same here.

The last thing we need is for a Macross character to spout off lines from Macbeth like:

"Double, DOuble, Toil and trouble..." or "Frailty thy name is woman"

--Lone Wolf
一匹狼
Or have someone suddenly recite a line from Hamlet.

I can imagine Quamzin going "To be. . . . . . . . . . or else!"

- Tak

Old 2008-07-24, 00:25   Link #513
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Or have someone suddenly recite a line from Hamlet.

- Tak
Do'h! Yeah the "Frailty" line belongs to Hamlet LOL...I'm getting the two mixed up. Could be worse...Macross characters could forget the Shakespeare thing altogether and just be reciting 'Beowulf
'

Yes, I think Quamzin would just put a new spin to that line.

--Lone Wolf
一匹狼
Old 2008-07-24, 10:15   Link #514
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Enough Shakespeare please. I had to endure that crap in HS and purposefully got transferred out of Senior English and into Creative Writing, so I did not have to read his garbage.
Old 2008-07-24, 13:46   Link #515
glyph

Quote:
Quamzin:
"What a piece of work is Minmay!
How nubile in figuration!
How deculture in melody!
In song and dance how express and admirable!
In concert how like an a angel!
On television how like a goddess!
The darling of the world!
The paragon of songstresses!
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of fluff?
J-pop delights me not."
Old 2008-07-26, 08:23   Link #516
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Ranka is stealing Sheryl's spotlight

Dont do this Ranka....dont....do this to my sheryl....
Old 2008-07-26, 09:57   Link #517
Prov1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonli View Post
Ranka is stealing Sheryl's spotlight

Dont do this Ranka....dont....do this to my sheryl....
yeah I know. In the last episode Sheryl wasn't looking so good after she realized what Ranka could do. Also, it seems Sheryl might be in the hospital long term because of what Grace gave her.
Old 2008-07-29, 01:28   Link #518
Eidolon Sniper
Tsubasa No Kami
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Eidolon Sniper
Just WHAT was in the medicine Grace gave her? Getting really weird rumors from /m/ about that one, but I hope it doesn't do anything really bad to Sheryl as part of the "plot". As much as I like an Alto Ranka end, doing that to Sheryl will make me RAGE a lot.

Ethereal Exiled Queen. NATCH~~~!!!
Old 2008-07-29, 02:35   Link #519
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon Sniper View Post
Just WHAT was in the medicine Grace gave her? Getting really weird rumors from /m/ about that one, but I hope it doesn't do anything really bad to Sheryl as part of the "plot". As much as I like an Alto Ranka end, doing that to Sheryl will make me RAGE a lot.
As thereīs nothing official at all, nor any spoilers at all beside the magazines/TV guides which have been reliable, itīs all speculation at the moment. So, donīt worry, itīll work out. Kawamori most likely knows that killing off a unique character like Sheryl will sour fans for years.
Old 2008-07-29, 02:38   Link #520
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
As thereīs nothing official at all, nor any spoilers at all beside the magazines/TV guides which have been reliable, itīs all speculation at the moment. So, donīt worry, itīll work out. Kawamori most likely knows that killing off a unique character like Sheryl will sour fans for years.
I've got a truck, a box of C4 that could blow up Iraq 3 times, a will of iron, and a mind of a lunatic.

Am I missing anything else?

- Tak

Closed Thread