AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2011-02-19, 03:49   Link #1
Simon
気持ち悪い

PS3 stops reading discs

OK, I suspect the obvious answer to this is the correct one, but I'll ask anyway in the hope there might be a trick.

I was half-way through my new V for Vendetta Blu-ray tonight when the video froze and the PS3 started making clunking sounds like it couldn't read the disc. In the end I had to power it down before I could eject the disc, and now it doesn't recognise any disc at all - BD video, BD game, DVD or audio CD. At one level it knows the disc is in there, because the eject button works and will beep at me if no disc is present, but the UI never updates to say a disc has been inserted.

This is an original form-factor 40GB PAL model that's been on system software 3.55 for a while now and has had no previous problems. I've left it powered off at the wall for a while, reset to default settings, but no joy. Do I now have an out-of-warranty boat anchor, or is there something else I can try?

As if dying half-way through such a good movie wasn't bad enough, my copy of Catherine is due to arrive on Monday. Talk about timing
Old 2011-02-19, 03:53   Link #2
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I'm gonna say it's the lens. More often than not this is a disc read error, and it's likely the lens conked out.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-19, 04:00   Link #3
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I'm gonna say it's the lens. More often than not this is a disc read error, and it's likely the lens conked out.
Thanks - is that something they can fix reasonably quickly and cheaply? (Well, "cheaply" in Sony terms...) Part of me is tempted just to march into town tomorrow and buy a new slimline model, but I know I can't really afford it.
Old 2011-02-19, 04:07   Link #4
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Before you send it in I suggest you get a disc drive lens cleaner. I haven't used one in years so I don't remember what new ones look like these days, but before you send it in best make sure it's not just dust or dirt. Get a good one and try it out first.
Old 2011-02-19, 05:34   Link #5
Sides

You can replace the lens yourself, it is not too difficult. Other than that, check some shop in your local town that does electronic repairs, i.e. laptop repair shops, they probably can do it for you much less than what sony is asking for. It is a pretty common problem, even with newer slim models, that is why, do not to use the ps3 as a blu-ray player.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-19, 05:39   Link #6
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Replacing it yourself might be considered a breach of warranty so, unless you know the consequences, I don't recommend it unless you have no choice.
Old 2011-02-19, 06:11   Link #7
Simon
気持ち悪い

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I'm pretty certain the warranty is up since I got it at the start of 2008 (and it was a freebie with my Bravia when I lived in Aus, so warranty paperwork would be a mess anyway).

Fortunately my brother has mad hardware-hacking skillz (dude mods his own Xboxes "just for fun") so I'll pay him a visit with the beast tomorrow. Google is giving me inconsistent answers about whether blu-ray drives need special lens cleaners or whether you can use something generic like this, so the plan right now is to hit the shops for advice then we might try more radical measures.
Old 2011-02-19, 07:25   Link #8
Sides

I won't use a lens cleaner with brushes on it. It is ok, for for other disc based devices, but do not use them on consoles. If you want a simple cleaner, try finding the Maxwell's brush-less one. Alternatively open up the case and get some Isopropyl (use over 90% ones) and some microfibre cloth or q-tip. This only helps if the lens it dusty or dirty, but not if the diode is gone, in that case you have to replace some parts. before someone attempting to do something like opening your ps3, make sure you warranty is up, check with consumer rights and trading standards in you country, as warranty varies from country to country, even if sony and shops tell you it is just 12 months.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-19, 18:16   Link #9
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

happen to me, i had to buy a new one.
Old 2011-02-19, 22:11   Link #10
Fran~
floating away...

Sorry but i can't avoid this... D*MN LENSES... from CD to BR, i grew tired of any kind of discs and the d*mn lenses...

BTW... good luck with your PS3, i do hope you can resolve this
Old 2011-02-19, 22:48   Link #11
Simon
気持ち悪い

Well we took it apart this morning and it turns out the lenses are fine - it's the drive's spindle motor that has died. Long story short, I now have a sexy new 160GB slimline model and my brother has a cheap PS3 if he can find replacement parts. And we just won't talk about next month's credit card bill, OK?

Thanks again everyone for all the helpful suggestions. If any future reader is in a similar situation but thinks dust on the lens may be the cause, Maxell's Blu-ray cleaner was the only cleaning product that seemed to get half-decent reviews at the time of this post.
Old 2011-02-26, 16:19   Link #12
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Well we took it apart this morning and it turns out the lenses are fine - it's the drive's spindle motor that has died. Long story short, I now have a sexy new 160GB slimline model and my brother has a cheap PS3 if he can find replacement parts. And we just won't talk about next month's credit card bill, OK?

Thanks again everyone for all the helpful suggestions. If any future reader is in a similar situation but thinks dust on the lens may be the cause, Maxell's Blu-ray cleaner was the only cleaning product that seemed to get half-decent reviews at the time of this post.
Hahaha thats exactly what i had to do love my new sexy slim model.. its flat chested tho but eh.
Old 2011-03-08, 21:33   Link #13
Orlando1

Mike & Mike's PS3/PSP Repair

Whenever your PS3 does not recognize the disc that you put into it, it will most likely be the laser/lens. If you see the time clock in the top right corner spinning when you insert a disc then it is safe to say that it is in fact the laser/lens. Once you change this, it will be back to normal.

If your icon doesn't spin when you insert a disc, then it is more severe. Your controller board has gone bad. There is really no way of repairing this. You will need to send it in to Sony and say good bye.

WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT UPDATE YOUR SYSTEM (if your disc cannot play).

visit: Mike & Mike's PS3 Repair
Orlando1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-25, 23:41   Link #14
Dark Wing

I know this thread is really old but I don't know where else I can go to talk about this.

Well yesterday my PS3 that served me well for 5 years stopped reading disc and this only happened after I tried to play a copy of Final Fantasy 13 it was brand new straight out the box.

I tried to load it up and suddenly everything froze I got an error message and after that my PS3 would no longer read discs.

Now I don't know if it was because my PS3 was just old or I got one of those bad copies of FF13 I heard about a couple of years ago. Either way I have no idea what to do now I'm at a complete loss can anyone give me some ad vice on this?