AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-01-13, 08:28   Link #141
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

But it started with a comparison to Taichi.

And at least, the other first years were only reacting. She was being actively disruptive. Not that I think much of the other first years either.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 09:46   Link #142
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Interrupting Chihaya's introductory talk to ask if Taichi has a girlfriend is more than just aggressive -- she's disrupting the club out of her own selfishness. Having a person like that around is the worst thing that can happen to an organization.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
She's getting in the way of the club activities, as Utsuro no Hako said. As for "bitchy", she purposely tried to undermine Chihaya.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume Hanabi View Post
Almost every newbie is guilty of that. She was just the most vocal, but judging from the others' reaction, she was just expressing what they were all thinking.
Quote:
And at least, the other first years were only reacting. She was being actively disruptive. Not that I think much of the other first years either.
It seems to me that referring to asking one non-karuta related question as "actively disruptive" and "bitchy" is a bit over-kill. That wasn't really what I would call a disruption. She didn't go on and on and on about it. She didn't demand an answer. She didn't "disrupt" the proceedings until she got her answer. Like Yume Hanabi said, the new girls were all wondering the same thing. I personally found it refreshing that she had the gall to ask the question, and I enjoyed Chihaya's response.

I suppose my attitude is influenced by my enjoyment of a new character that is injecting some much needed liveliness into the cast. All three of the main leads are pretty dull and boring when it comes to anything other than karuta. Even the popular and worldly Taichi is dull and boring outside of karuta, his looks and wealth seeming to be the only things he has going for him since his personality is pretty flat. Chihaya is like a shining star when it comes to karuta, but take it away from her and she's pretty much a limp biscuit. Arata, too, has been depicted as being a nearly one-dimensional character.

What surprises me is that no one has yet made the comparison between Sumire and Chihaya. What, you say? Just look at how determined she is to achieve her goal, how she won't give up, the enthusiasm and energy she has mustered up to get her there. Sounds just like Chihaya when she was determined to get enough members to form the club, including chasing after people and browbeating them until they join. At least Sumire isn't that aggressive (yet).
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 10:14   Link #143
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
It seems to me that referring to asking one non-karuta related question as "actively disruptive" and "bitchy" is a bit over-kill. That wasn't really what I would call a disruption. She didn't go on and on and on about it. She didn't demand an answer. She didn't "disrupt" the proceedings until she got her answer. Like Yume Hanabi said, the new girls were all wondering the same thing. I personally found it refreshing that she had the gall to ask the question, and I enjoyed Chihaya's response.
She interrupted Chihaya mid-speech. Even if it had been with a karuta-related question, which it wasn't, it would have been unbearably rude.

And worse, she outright stated her intention to not play karuta. Which, yes, the other newbies joined. She basically came right into their clubroom, and as an alleged applicant, mocked all the second years for their devotion to the sport.
Old 2013-01-13, 10:39   Link #144
Arya

Quote:
She interrupted Chihaya mid-speech. Even if it had been with a karuta-related question, which it wasn't, it would have been unbearably rude.

And worse, she outright stated her intention to not play karuta. Which, yes, the other newbies joined. She basically came right into their clubroom, and as an alleged applicant, mocked all the second years for their devotion to the sport.
I agree with you, Sumire has been bitchy. It's unquestionable to me. On the other hand that was something they had to take into account deciding to use that kind of subtle bait recruiting new members. So I can't fully blame her for being bitchy!

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 10:46   Link #145
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
I That wasn't really what I would call a disruption. She didn't go on and on and on about it. She didn't demand an answer. She didn't "disrupt" the proceedings until she got her answer. Like Yume Hanabi said, the new girls were all wondering the same thing. I personally found it refreshing that she had the gall to ask the question, and I enjoyed Chihaya's response.
She interrupted Chihaya's presentation,spoke up without permission,asked a personal question without being given permission.

That's the textbook definition of disruptive,not that I didn't enjoy the scene,it was quite entertaining.
Old 2013-01-13, 11:09   Link #146
kitten320

She's been bitchy yes, but people with her personality are needed. They tend to be annoying but at the same time they are entertaining because tehy are not scared to show what they actually think. They are different to majority.

Right now she showed it in bad form but once she develops, those qualities could become a big plus and entertainment.

The only problem I have with her is her popular guy obsession.
Old 2013-01-13, 11:13   Link #147
Eragon
Still Alive

Quote:
What surprises me is that no one has yet made the comparison between Sumire and Chihaya. What, you say? Just look at how determined she is to achieve her goal, how she won't give up, the enthusiasm and energy she has mustered up to get her there. Sounds just like Chihaya when she was determined to get enough members to form the club, including chasing after people and browbeating them until they join. At least Sumire isn't that aggressive (yet).
You could compare anyone with Chihaya with that analogy. Heck I can compare Vegeta to Chihaya with that analogy

Last edited by Eragon; 2013-01-13 at 11:57.
Eragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 11:26   Link #148
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
I agree with you, Sumire has been bitchy. It's unquestionable to me. On the other hand that was something they had to take into account deciding to use that kind of subtle bait recruiting new members. So I can't fully blame her for being bitchy!
I totally can. I wouldn't have minded so much if she'd tried a bit harder at hiding how little respect she had for the club she was joining. Like waiting until Chihaya invited questions before asking if Taichi had a girlfriend. And trying to actually learn to play karuta, even if she didn't want to participate in tournaments. I don't think it's too fucking much to ask.
Old 2013-01-13, 11:42   Link #149
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
It seems to me that referring to asking one non-karuta related question as "actively disruptive" and "bitchy" is a bit over-kill.
No, but interrupting someone during a presentation to ask an unrelated question is. There's no reason why she couldn't've waited for a more appropriate moment.

Quote:
That wasn't really what I would call a disruption. She didn't go on and on and on about it. She didn't demand an answer.
Only because Kana slapped her down.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 12:23   Link #150
pagan poor
Swayin' to the beat

Sumire will only play the bitchy girl only when Taichi isn't around. Pretty soon everyone will figure out what her deal is.

Chihaya's reactions to everything are still priceless. Love this show.
pagan poor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 12:39   Link #151
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
I don't think it's too fucking much to ask.
My, my, my. Sumire sure has generated a lot of hate.

Like her, hate her, or feel indifferent toward her, Sumire sure has made this first episode (and this forum) very lively. I wonder how many of you haters will do a flip-flop by the end of the season? If it wasn't for her reaction to the poem, I would be thinking that she would stay the "bitchy" character so many perceive her to be. However, from that reaction, I suspect that there will be some real character development in store for her, something that was pretty lacking in the first season. The five main characters didn't receive a whole lot of character development during the first season, and are not much different now than they were at the beginning of season one.
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 12:48   Link #152
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I suspect she'll end up being vaguely tolerable, yes. But there's no reason to cut her a break now.
Old 2013-01-13, 12:57   Link #153
pagan poor
Swayin' to the beat

Quote:

Like her, hate her, or feel indifferent toward her, Sumire sure has made this first episode (and this forum) very lively. I wonder how many of you haters will do a flip-flop by the end of the season? If it wasn't for her reaction to the poem, I would be thinking that she would stay the "bitchy" character so many perceive her to be. However, from that reaction, I suspect that there will be some real character development in store for her, something that was pretty lacking in the first season. The five main characters didn't receive a whole lot of character development during the first season, and are not much different now than they were at the beginning of season one.
So you're saying that a new character from season two will get real development, when the main characters from the first season didn't get much at all? Seems inconsistent.
pagan poor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 13:16   Link #154
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:

Like her, hate her, or feel indifferent toward her, Sumire sure has made this first episode (and this forum) very lively. I wonder how many of you haters will do a flip-flop by the end of the season?
Oh, I'm sure her character will evolve and in six months I'll look back at the first season and think, "How bland without Sumire." But that's me the genre savvy viewer with high expectations for the future. The character as she exists now is annoying, selfish and totally deserving of the smackdown Kana laid upon her.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 15:53   Link #155
Jmac
Sharing my world thru art
*Artist

"Small figure with huge boobs. Enemy!"
Classic! XD
Old 2013-01-13, 15:54   Link #156
GundamZZ
残念美人

It's risky to introduce new characters. Their story may become too minor later. I can see why there are Taichi haters out there. Taichi swiftly rejects Sumire's love quest. Also, he's too confident with girls. It seems he admits it is usually girls asking him out. Maybe he has dated many girls at same time. No wonder there are Taichi haters. p.s. Their hate is rage, not jealousy...not jealousy.
天啓のシスティーナ Sistina of Apocalypse
愛憎のロクサーヌ Roxanne of distinguished love and hate
万有のルテーシア Lutécia of everything
塵喰いのカサンドラ Cassandra of eating dust
GundamZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 16:02   Link #157
Kirarakim

I am also sure Sumire will develop into a likeable character. Chihayafuru isn't the type of series with one dimensional characters like that but Sumire's introduction didn't exactly endear her to me.

Yeah there were some things I did like about her: when she reacted to the poem, when she said she doesn't want to write poems of regret...but there were many others things about her that didn't sit well with me. I expect we weren't supposed to immediately like her though.
Old 2013-01-13, 18:06   Link #158
Yume Hanabi

We weren't really supposed to like most of the characters at first glance. Taichi started out as a bully, Tsutomu was really condescending in his introduction episode, so was Kana to some degree... It's been consistent all throughout Chihayafuru: characters are often introduced as not-so-great, and then we get to know them in more depth and see them develop and change and we start loving them. I wouldn't be too worried about how Sumire'll turn out, and I wouldn't be so hasty to judge her either.

I totally understand the negative first impression though - nothing about her strikes me as particularly endearing right now, and I feel the episode went a bit fast, which prevented me to really appreciate her few good moments. But I also think it's too soon to call her a bitch or whatever. Let's wait and see.
Old 2013-01-13, 22:19   Link #159
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Good to see this again but wow Chihaya dream is to greedy
Old 2013-01-14, 00:44   Link #160
Quadratic
SIBYL salesman

Quote:

Sumire's "bitchiness" is tame compared to what Taichi has done.

Sorry, but I really don't understand what development is missing...? (Other than the romance front crawling slower than a snail, but that was obviously going to happen).
Some of the biggest themes in the first season includes:
Grow some balls and stop running away.
Recognizing your flaws and how to overcome them.
Making true friends.
Letting go of guilt.

Do I need to give the specifics?

And I have no idea on what you mean by "one-dimensional" characters...
Quadratic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cards, josei, karuta, sports