AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-02-11, 23:43   Link #1
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Toradora! Licensing Discussion

Per ANN, Toradora! has been licensed by NIS America, the American division of Nippon Ichi Software. This is the first anime title they'll be releasing in North America. Pre-orders are slated to begin later this month, with a release scheduled for April 2010. (Update: The release schedule is being revised apparently.)

As this is NIS America's first anime release, no one really knows much about what to expect, but more details should follow soon.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2010-02-12 at 12:11.
Old 2010-02-12, 01:04   Link #2
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Excellent news. This is one of the first anime I may actually purchase the DVDs for, if only to show my love.

Does anyone know if the R2 DVDs actually fixed the, ah, glaring animation inconsistencies from the broadcast run? Since that might affect my purchase...

Last edited by Tyabann; 2010-02-12 at 01:16.
Old 2010-02-12, 01:19   Link #3
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

awesome.

English dub lol. Who'll they get? XD
Old 2010-02-12, 02:05   Link #4
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

<in shock>

Anyway, the article has been updated to reflect "scheduling changes..." the release date has been removed and a new date will be announced shortly...

And how did Funimation not get this title???
Old 2010-02-12, 05:07   Link #5
Dop
Mmmm....

Woo-hoo! What a great piece of news to wake up to this morning...
Never heard of this company before, hope they'll do a good job. It's definitely on my 'DO WANT' list.
Old 2010-02-12, 08:48   Link #6
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
A video game company taking up on anime.......I was shocked!
Old 2010-02-12, 09:48   Link #7
hinakatbklyn

They took their chances with game animes with some success, so I'm guessing they want to try their hands at something bigger. But this could be a sink or swim scenario with a big title like Toradora. Let's see how well this works out dub or sub.
Old 2010-02-12, 12:10   Link #8
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Does anyone know if the R2 DVDs actually fixed the, ah, glaring animation inconsistencies from the broadcast run? Since that might affect my purchase...
Can you give me an example episode/timecode to check out? I have all the R2 DVDs here, so it wouldn't be that hard to find out for you. (Then again, if you're thinking about the things I wonder if you might be thinking about, I thought some of that was stylistic choice.)
Old 2010-02-12, 13:54   Link #9
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I am now picking my jaw up off the floor.

OTOH..... what a bizarre choice for NIS's first effort. Makes me wonder if they're thinking to *specialize* in the sophisticated-shounen, seinen, shoujo arena. Might Lovely*Complex be next? REC?

The hyperspeed of the pre-order/release schedule makes me think it will be a "subtitles-only" release.
Old 2010-02-12, 14:28   Link #10
Armored Knight

A small company like NISA shouldn't really get involved in this market where they are going to lose money (most likely). Toradora! is a decent anime I hope that it sells enough for them.

They are going to release Pandora Hearts and Persona Trinity Soul too.
Old 2010-02-12, 17:52   Link #11
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm actually more interested in seeing the light novel series licensed. Along with the Haruhi series and the Spice&Wolf series of light novels.... seems like this would be an easy project to greenlight.
Old 2010-02-12, 19:04   Link #12
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Can you give me an example episode/timecode to check out? I have all the R2 DVDs here, so it wouldn't be that hard to find out for you. (Then again, if you're thinking about the things I wonder if you might be thinking about, I thought some of that was stylistic choice.)
I'm specifically recalling that god-awfully drawn scene in the guidance room in Episode 23, though there were other moments, such as that 70-degree angle hill in one of the early episodes.

But I guess it really doesn't matter too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'm actually more interested in seeing the light novel series licensed. Along with the Haruhi series and the Spice&Wolf series of light novels.... seems like this would be an easy project to greenlight.
It would definitely be much easier to market in some ways, as well, since it's a straight-up romantic comedy rather than a story about, say, magical wolf goddesses and economics.

The only problem I foresee is that's it's supposed to be a romance for boys...
Old 2010-02-12, 19:20   Link #13
babohtea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post

The only problem I foresee is that's it's supposed to be a romance for boys...
Hm. My sister likes Toradora! a lot. I don't know if that counts for anything though.
Old 2010-02-12, 20:31   Link #14
Starry Dust
Lurkin' in ur threadz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
And how did Funimation not get this title???
This calls for competition then if there's someone new within the anime-licensing industry

Either way, I'm really excited about this.
Toradora is one of my most personal favorites in the rom-com department of anime.
Old 2010-02-12, 20:56   Link #15
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The hyperspeed of the pre-order/release schedule makes me think it will be a "subtitles-only" release.
Supposedly, they could have had those licenses for quite some than we are to believe so who knows how much production work they have been doing.
Old 2010-02-12, 22:15   Link #16
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by babohtea View Post
Hm. My sister likes Toradora! a lot. I don't know if that counts for anything though.
That's not what I meant. Toradora is, or might appear to be, to publishers, the sort of series that is marketed more towards young women in the West.

I'm somewhat worried if an incompetent book company gets the license.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post
Supposedly, they could have had those licenses for quite some than we are to believe so who knows how much production work they have been doing.
Now that's interesting... I'm certainly hoping for a dub...
Old 2010-02-13, 03:08   Link #17
Abashi

That sounds fantastic.
Old 2010-02-13, 15:11   Link #18
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Send a message via MSN to AmyElizzabeth
Toradora's getting a dub? Yay!
If they ruin Taiga or Minori's voice I will be angry.
Old 2010-02-13, 15:40   Link #19
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I don't think we *know* its getting a dub. It may be a 'subtitle only' release. These posts are speculation til someone provides a link of a press release where they detail what the product will contain.

ANN has an update:
Quote:
Update: More background information and links have been added. The release date for Toradora! has been removed; ANN has been informed that the schedule has changed and will be announced shortly.

Last edited by Vexx; 2010-02-13 at 16:17.
Old 2010-02-13, 17:39   Link #20
GDB

If there's a dub, the only way I wouldn't get it is if it's god awful (you know, like the girls sounding like guys or something), or if they charge like $100 per half season set.

However, depending on what the "limited edition" incentives are... I'd consider getting those, even if there wasn't a dub (but it'd have to be damned good without the dub to compensate).

Same applies to Pandora Hearts, which NISA also picked up.
Closed Thread