AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-07-31, 13:37   Link #34401
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

It should be noted that there is a difference between the words lands and nation. A nation is the peoples of a particular type. Lands is dirt marked with lines.

Israel or Palestine, the lands, can and have been taken by conquest many times over the last several thousands of years. The nations that spring from there sometimes whither and die, but others continue on. The Jewish nation continues on. The Arab nations continue on. Only the lines of the lands change.

As for international law. At some point in the early 20th century, "international law no longer recognized that a state could acquire title to territory by conquest" according to John McHugo. Something along these lines springs up across the 20th century. Self-defense is considered viable, but taking title by conquest would be beyond the limits of self-defense by a lawful point of view. (I somewhat call that bullshit, but I suppose I'm still wired with the idea that if you get attacked and then kick your attackers ass in war, you can keep their stuff as spoils of war).
Old 2014-07-31, 13:59   Link #34402
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Well it's true, until something affects you directly, it doesn't have a high priority in your everyday life.
But that doesn't mean it's ok to sneer at sympathy and act desensitized and overtly pragmatic, no?

This isn't 4chan or 2ch, not all opinions have the equal weight, though.
Showing sympathy and saying "lol it hapens" isn't on the same term.
And just exactly where were people “sneering” at sympathy? As far as I can see, the only references to “sneering” and “lol it happens” are in your accusations against those who were pointing out that this isn’t exactly out of the norm in the grand scheme of things.

I’m also unclear as to about the equal weight bit, are you saying that those that agrees with your view are worth more?

Quote:
Besides, "this happens anywhere, so don't care about it" seems even less constructive for a news thread than the opposite... no?
I mean, that applies to pretty much everything that happens. That's a dead-end for any discussion, isn't it?
I would like to point out again that the “don’t care about it” bit is something that you tacked on yourself.

TBH, it kinda feels like you’re just lashing out at people who’s not openly raging at Israel.
Old 2014-07-31, 21:23   Link #34403
AnimeFan188

CIA Admits to Hacking Senate Computers:

http://www.defenseone.com/politics/2.../?oref=d-river

Quote:

"The Central Intelligence Agency improperly and covertly hacked into computers
used by Senate staffers to investigate the spy agency's Bush-era interrogation
practices, according to an internal investigation.

CIA Director John Brennan said that employees "acted in a manner inconsistent
with the common understanding" brokered between the CIA and its Senate
overseers, according to CIA spokesman Dean Boyd.

The stunning admission follows a scathing, 40-minute speech Senate Intelligence
Chairwoman Dianne Feinstein gave from the Senate floor back in March, in which
she accused the CIA of covertly removing key documents from her panel's
computers during its review of the government's torture, detention and
rendition policies during the Bush presidency. Feinstein lacerated the CIA and
charged them with possibly violating the Constitution."

Brace for the oncoming $#^%Storm........
Old 2014-07-31, 22:19   Link #34404
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275
I would like to point out again that the “don’t care about it” bit is something that you tacked on yourself.

TBH, it kinda feels like you’re just lashing out at people who’s not openly raging at Israel.
When Russia attacked Crimea, pretty much everyone condemned Russia for it and ridiculed anyone trying to defend Russia. But when it comes to Israel, not enough people are showing the same vigor to condemn it and instead pulls out the "it is what it is" card. I think this is what Aohige meant with people "don't care about it".
Old 2014-08-01, 00:36   Link #34405
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Russia and Crimea is an one-time deal. Israel and Palestine, well, it's the n times. Everyone attention has run dry.

Also, western media would more willingly to critic Russia (remnant hostility of Cold War) than Israel (long-time ally.)
Old 2014-08-01, 00:36   Link #34406
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
When Russia attacked Crimea, pretty much everyone condemned Russia for it and ridiculed anyone trying to defend Russia. But when it comes to Israel, not enough people are showing the same vigor to condemn it and instead pulls out the "it is what it is" card. I think this is what Aohige meant with people "don't care about it".
The problem with the conflict is that most of the flak thrown on both sides make no sense. The only sense is that people extract image/ego boosts and money out of it.

From a perspective, I appreciate this conflict. Keeps the Mideasterners from fighting amongst themselves over who should have the right of rule over the next caliphate.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2014-08-01, 00:50   Link #34407
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
I'd rather say it may have to do with the mentality of a lot of people who think that the so-called "money grabbers" and the so-called "terrorists" fighting each other is a good thing.

Me? I'd say you cannot compare the warfare between a country from "the west" and a middle-eastern country with the warfare between two middle-easter countries on the same standards... their borders are in range of missile attacks, but it seems a lot of people would rather want Israel to just "take it like a man and bear with the attacks", while at the same time the USA declares "war on terrorism" and everyone cheering about it, while condemning Isreal's behaviour. I just have a hard time taking such hypocritical views seriously...

Either you fight terrorism or not. You either protect the civilians of your country, or the meatshield of the enemy. Sadly you can, in most cases, not protect both. But appearantly people watched too many superhero comics, where somehow "everyone is saved".
Old 2014-08-01, 06:52   Link #34408
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
The difference is that for Crimea, everyone knew that Russia was the instigator and the aggressor, and pretty much pulled the entire pretext for their invasion out of thin air.

Israel and Palestine has been going at it for the last 60+ years. At this point neither side’s hands are remotely clean, yet both sides have reasons for their actions. You can’t really condemn or defend either side without also doing the same for the other.
Old 2014-08-01, 07:01   Link #34409
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Indeed, I never consider Hamas sympathetic. I merely object to the obvious, that Israel has gone down the dangerous road of starting to NOT CARE about dead Palestinian civilians.

Hamas of course, intentionally attack from areas where civilians live. Where hospitals and schools are. Where shelters reside. I don't deny that, and of course I object to what they do.

What's different, is that Israel now say it is PERFECTLY FINE to kill civilians as long as they get Hamas too. That they are killing civilians and have no guilt over it whatsoever, because they have managed to convince themselves that Hamas gets all the blame now.

Hamas is still Hamas. I didn't support them before, and I don't support them today either. But Israel... Is changing.
Old 2014-08-01, 08:53   Link #34410
Wigwams

If only south korea was like israel. maybe north korea would be no more or liberated.

south korea and USA should really emulate israel. the world willl have peace. maybe back in the stone age, but peace.
Old 2014-08-01, 09:48   Link #34411
Hitenma
Behold! We are the Nine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigwams View Post
south korea and USA should really emulate israel. the world willl have peace. maybe back in the stone age, but peace.
Please tell me that you are sarcastic or something, please tell me this is not what you really want
Old 2014-08-01, 10:04   Link #34412
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitenma View Post
Please tell me that you are sarcastic or something, please tell me this is not what you really want
Sarcastic or not, he has a point. Josef Stalin had once said, "Death solves all problems. No man, no problem."

If we kill off enough people maybe such problems will go away. Apparently we haven't killed enough yet. [/evil]

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2014-08-01, 10:19   Link #34413
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitenma View Post
Never heard of the phrase "a fate worse than death"? Never heard about how you can see North Korea's borders when looking at a night satelite image?
Old 2014-08-01, 11:21   Link #34414
maplehurry

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
Never heard of the phrase "a fate worse than death"? Never heard about how you can see North Korea's borders when looking at a night satelite image?
Maybe by modern standard, but I can hardly imagine the situation being worse than living under monarchy 500 years ago or more.
Old 2014-08-01, 11:26   Link #34415
LoveYouSaber

^Besides, not that I recommend North Korea's life standards, but at the moment, people in North Korea are at least better off than people in Gaza right now who lie awake in the night fearing if they are going to get shelled...
Old 2014-08-01, 11:31   Link #34416
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYouSaber View Post
^Besides, not that I recommend North Korea's life standards, but at the moment, people in North Korea are at least better off than people in Gaza right now who lie awake in the night fearing if they are going to get shelled...
i don't know if lying awake at night watching your children starving to death is much better.
Old 2014-08-01, 11:39   Link #34417
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
i don't know if lying awake at night watching your children starving to death is much better.
People have different perspectives of suffering. Choose your poison.

Old 2014-08-01, 11:43   Link #34418
maplehurry

Well, it's not like Gaza people are not hungry either, even with all the aids.
Old 2014-08-01, 11:44   Link #34419
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehurry View Post
How would you like reliving a scene like The Last Supper every day?

Old 2014-08-01, 11:45   Link #34420
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehurry View Post
hungry but not at the point of starving to death.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international