AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Death Note

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-10-20, 06:20   Link #321
hitokirigirl
Japanestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neux View Post
Spoiler:

And Light may think he's smart and that he won't get caught, doesn't mean he think he is God who is invincible. Those are two different things.

Anyways, I prefer to call Light as "Chaotic Good' as opposed to "Evil" . His intentions of creating a better world is good, but his intentions of achieving that world is wrong.

"Chaotic good characters are strong individuals marked by a streak of kindness and benevolence. They believe in all the virtues of goodness and right, but they have little use for laws and regulations. Their actions are guided by their own moral compass which, although good, may not always be in perfect agreement with the rest of society"

Similarly, I guess I would call L "Lawful Good". Anyways, the thing that I liked about Death Note, at least in my interpretation, was that it wasn't another battle of good versus evil (L vs. Kira), but rather, a battle between two versions of "good": chaotic good versus lawful good. IMHO.
The statement that everyone can make is that Raito IS KILLING PEOPLE. Yes, I know, criminals one. Is it good to kill humans or not ?
The fact he's seen as an evil (in the anime) or not (in the manga) is a matter of way the manga authors and anime producers define the fact of killing IMO.
Just my 2 cents on it though.

And I think it's pretty interesting to give us an alternative mood than the manga.

Personally I prefer the anime : what, you don't like genius maniac ?
Old 2006-10-20, 10:21   Link #322
Neux

lol, in no way am I saying that killing is right. In fact, I'll agree that it's wrong. Like I have said his idea of reducing crime rate is good and admirable, but his idea of killing people to do that is wrong.

I think the question is more along the lines of whether the ends justifies the means and not simply whether killing is right or wrong. The question is if Light does create his ideal world with no crimes commited, what would that world be like, and would that world justify the deaths of the countless people who were used to build it. Would that world really work? I would say the answer is no since killing is wrong, but this is a fictional story, so why not explore an intriguing scenario like that.

Anyways, I like to believe Lights trying to do good, but unwittingly does evil instead. But he himself is not "evil".
Spoiler for episode 2:

I still prefer "Chaotic Good".
Old 2006-10-20, 10:50   Link #323
avangion

Like Junpei and Shabazza (pg.16), I'd like to know about the quality of the different fansub groups. I downloaded both Toriyama's World (TW) and Live-Evil (LE) episode 3. (I had Soylations' episode 1, but it had too many spelling errors... so I deleted it.)

In any case, I think it'd be easier to decide which fansub to go for if there can be some samples to look at, instead of having to d/l an entire episode just to compare. I'd do a comparison for TW-LE episode 3... If anyone has Animanda or C1's episode 2 or 3, pls do some screenshots and write on some characteristics.

TW-LE OP
TW: Romanji karaoke is clear, but kanji has no karaoke.
LE: Both have karaoke, but the text is somewhat hazy and difficult to read.

TW-LE LIGHT'S SPEECH
TW: "L" uses the actual font.
LE: Okay, nothing special. Hmm.. personally, I find the subs flash too fast. I had to backtrack a few times to read them.

TW-LE SHINIGAMI'S SPEECH
TW: A different font (Sand) for Ryuk's speech. More spelling/grammar errors. Uses "Shinigami".
LE: Same font as other character's speech. Less spelling/grammar errors. Uses "Death God".

Personally, I like what TW did with the fonts and stuffs, but the spelling/grammar errors are starting to bug me...

Pls help to evaluate other fansubs...
Old 2006-10-20, 13:37   Link #324
Junpei

Quote:
Originally Posted by avangion View Post
Personally, I like what TW did with the fonts and stuffs, but the spelling/grammar errors are starting to bug me...
IMHO I much prefer the use of regular fonts, like you might find on DVD subtitles. Much easier to read. Sometimes subbers really go nuts (not in this case) and it makes them much more difficult to read.
Old 2006-10-25, 13:34   Link #325
hitokirigirl
Japanestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neux View Post
lol, in no way am I saying that killing is right. In fact, I'll agree that it's wrong. Like I have said his idea of reducing crime rate is good and admirable, but his idea of killing people to do that is wrong.

I think the question is more along the lines of whether the ends justifies the means and not simply whether killing is right or wrong. The question is if Light does create his ideal world with no crimes commited, what would that world be like, and would that world justify the deaths of the countless people who were used to build it. Would that world really work? I would say the answer is no since killing is wrong, but this is a fictional story, so why not explore an intriguing scenario like that.

Anyways, I like to believe Lights trying to do good, but unwittingly does evil instead. But he himself is not "evil".
Spoiler for episode 2:

I still prefer "Chaotic Good".
Sorry for the late *peeling my ass off the bed*
And don't think my post was aimed at you; I just wanted to emphasize the fact "killing". By no mean I'm judjing your words
I totally agree wih your last thoughts : L and L think doing the right hing. And I prefer the good maniac too ^^"
Old 2006-10-25, 16:38   Link #326
Itachikun
Animesuki's Janitor

Send a message via AIM to Itachikun Send a message via MSN to Itachikun
Err, first off. There are sites that do the rest for you.

www.ultracarl.com/fansub

Second off, so what if we, TW, dont do the kanji? Why does it really matter?. Why does karaoke even matter, sure some sing along. With the romanji I can understand, but kanji... I fail to understand.

Anyway, the more we progress, the less spelling errors we getting. Sadly...
________
Toyota matrix history

Last edited by Itachikun; 2011-02-15 at 08:41.
Old 2006-10-25, 20:42   Link #327
myopius

I watch the new episodes within half a day of their release, and once a week with my local anime club. About half a dozen people who haven't read the manga are usually there.

It's cool to hear people's reactions.
Spoiler for Episode 3:

It definitely makes you realize how the anime characterizes Light differently than in the manga, that's for sure. Yes, and what with how
Spoiler for Episode 3:
Old 2006-10-25, 22:44   Link #328
avangion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itachikun View Post
Err, first off. There are sites that do the rest for you.
www.ultracarl.com/fansub

Second off, so what if we, TW, dont do the kanji? Why does it really matter?. Why does karaoke even matter, sure some sing along. With the romanji I can understand, but kanji... I fail to understand. Anyway, the more we progress, the less spelling errors we getting. Sadly...
Cool. Thanks, I didn't know of such fansubs review sites. Hmm. I think the kanji just... looks good. I suppose it's not vital. But if you already time/format it and everything, might as well just leave it in.

I agree with not using too fancy (unreadable) fonts, but I think the ones TW has been using is fine. I like the "L" used and the creepy shinigami speech.
Old 2006-10-25, 23:07   Link #329
Xelsol

sorry, put it in the wrong thread...

Last edited by Xelsol; 2006-10-25 at 23:09. Reason: wrong thread
Old 2006-10-31, 17:38   Link #330
nilsen
What's happiness...?

Location: Norway, thats why Im bad in English, but I try my best
Send a message via MSN to nilsen
What is the orginal thread to Death Note?
Old 2006-11-04, 16:00   Link #331
myopius

Spoiler for Second movie's ending:
Old 2006-11-06, 12:24   Link #332
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Post Licensing for DEATH NOTE anime?

From Anime News Service

Quote:
ANS has learned the Death Note TV animation has been officially licensed for release in the North American market in 2007. We'll leave the actual licensee to properly announce themselves at their preferred time and in their preferred manner. A few things have to come together before that can happen though. Look for some official word in the form of simultaneous / coordinated press releases anywhere from weeks at earliest to months at latest.
Neither Anime News Network nor Anime On DVD have updated into their sites confirmation that the Death Note anime has been indeed licensed.

What I understand from that news is that the licensing is unofficial or either I must assume that the news is false, because ANS doesn't list a reliable source of information that gives credence to their statement that the licensing for Death Note is indeed true.
Old 2006-11-06, 15:54   Link #333
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
What I understand from that news is that the licensing is unofficial or either I must assume that the news is false, because ANS doesn't list a reliable source of information that gives credence to their statement that the licensing for Death Note is indeed true.
First of all, this is no surprise. It was a no brainer that the TV series was going to be licensed considering how popular the manga is.
Secondly, ANS is a VERY reliable source. They are more accurate than ANN and AoD historically. Just because they do not cite a source does not mean it's not true. There is lots of news out there which does not cite a source and you take it for granted. AoD and ANN aren't going with it because it tells them nothing. From ANS's newest post, this sounds like they are walking around a Japanese trade show and found this out. They make it out to be that the ink on the contract is not completely dry yet from their description.
Old 2006-11-12, 16:15   Link #334
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Kappei Yamaguchi has always been my favorite male voice actor. Aya Hirano isn't half bad either and is one of my faves, but not in my top 5 list of female voice actors. Maybe I should expand the list to a top ten now that I know more people. Anyway that gothic-lolita girl Aya Hirano will play creeps me out.
Old 2006-11-30, 03:17   Link #335
bayoab

And we move one step closer...

Quote:
At MIPCOM in Cannes (France). Viz Media said they had worldwide license (except asia), so unless the re-sell the US rights to another company, it's more than likely they will release Death Note in R1.
Source

Edit: Before it gets mentioned, a later post has more information about the unsourcedness of this. I am not linking to every relevant post.
Old 2006-12-07, 17:36   Link #336
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Looks like ICv2 is basing off that as well (well sort of):

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/9394.html
Old 2006-12-07, 19:46   Link #337
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post
Looks like ICv2 is basing off that as well (well sort of):

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/9394.html
Except I have no idea why ANN linked to a 2+ month old article which has no new information or even any information on that.
Old 2006-12-09, 20:42   Link #338
Yeyana

Looking forward to this.
Hopefully, it may be a little different from the actual story...
I find it difficult to see the same thing twice.
Old 2006-12-09, 21:47   Link #339
myopius

It's the same story, from what we've seen so far, but you'd be surprised to see the extra dimension animation can add. There are both weird and brilliant moments.
Old 2006-12-15, 15:40   Link #340
blossomsakura

From what I read on forums discussing about Death Note, it seems that the manga, anime, and movie differs yeah?
Is it necessary to read the manga as well as watch the anime? I'm considering to do both but it take some time.. Should I do both? I mean read the manga and watch the anime? Experienced Death Noters please give some comment. :]
Closed Thread