AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-02-26, 19:06   Link #1
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Why male characters often push away willing girls?

This is a thing i could never understand, really: when the protagonist is some unlucky dude, he can just hope for a girl to approach him, and he'll eventually try to peep on girls or do perverted things.

However, when this unlucky, wicked minded animal gets the only chance to be with a hot girl, that teases him nonstop and often expresses her(suspicious) feelings towards him, why does he act like a dick, like he suddenly made up his mind? Don't you find it a bit unreal?

It's actually common that teenagers, at that age, mostly think about sex, talk about sex, and make a big deal out of it. You surely have heard one of your classmate bragging about having made out with a girl, or often talking how much he'd fuck any breathing life form. Now, put that guy in a situation where he's being teased by a hot girl non-stop. How many seconds do you think he's going to resist? Just how much time will pass before that dude on heat jumps on the girl? Now, how much is the % of that not happening?

From my own experience, it was mostly the girls who cared about their virginity(Or better, were more selective, even tho some were slutty), while boys always trying to get to them(no matter who they were, lol). There are of course exceptions, and some people that think it would be wrong, and that's okay. I myself am a respectful person.

But when i am presented such scenes, how am i supposed to be, if not skeptical?

I'd rather prefer a normal boy trying to win the heart of his beloved one, by working hard, asking her out, help her when there is the need, always be close to her, be loyal etc, rather than seeing a hot girl teasing non-stop an indifferent boy.

You talk about "tension"? They could easily build up tension by adding embarassing scenes, such as the boy falling on the girl, or the two sticking their face close for some reasons, or just when they are in the perfect mood but get interrupted. That would do the job, imo.

Yet, why are we presented such stuff?

Last edited by Classified Info; 2012-03-06 at 19:09.
Classified Info is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 19:19   Link #2
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

I bet you never saw School Days. The "hero" is completely opposite than you described.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 19:34   Link #3
Aesthetic Shampoo

Because the plot would never go anywhere otherwise. What's the fun if the protagonist gets with the dream girl in the first episode? And like above said, wheres the fun if the guy does sleep with every girl in the cast, becomes a massive douche-ass-bag, and make the entire audience rage and wish for his painful death?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classified Info View Post
No really, since when morals and ethics affect boys? I thought it were the girls who were delicate beings with morals and an obsession for virginity, not the boys.
Don't generalize like that please.
Aesthetic Shampoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 19:35   Link #4
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameruka View Post
I bet you never saw School Days. The "hero" is completely opposite than you described.
Watched it, but you couldn't consider the "hero" that normal anyways, for many reasons. It also ended in an odd way. That anime was just fucked up.
Old 2012-02-26, 19:35   Link #5
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Just an anime trope. For comedy and plot, not to mention a player isn't someone to look up to.

Watch School Days and you may revise your opinion.
Old 2012-02-26, 19:41   Link #6
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
I was planning to make a similar thread in titled "Why are some male characters are so dense?"

For the thread of yours, I came up of only two answers regarding the "lucky bastard thing".

1. It's the character's traits> I don't know if it's appealing to both male and female views but personally, there are times I hate it.

2. The pairing> In case of harem, fans often love to pair characters (especially if its romance). This leaves the fans the chance to make their own choice. That is the same reason why some damned anime has a hanging ending (pointless ending). I hate the fact that my favorite female character ended up not being choosen (e.g. Mashiro no Symphony)

@the waking up with the naked girl? I'm not the type who gets a "hard on" after seeing a naked girl beside me. How the hell did she get into our house in the first place!!!?? and naked??!!!!
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 19:46   Link #7
leokiko

If he isn't a loser, he will have sex with everyone and it will either go to poligamy/hentai or he will be killed
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 19:51   Link #8
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

In some animes there is often the "living together" factor, that involves a childhood friend or sister living together with the protagonist. It often happens that the guy wakes up with the girl sleeping next to him, making a big fuss out of it.

Since some are getting on the School Days discussion, let's take off the "harem" factor; let's only consider one main heroine following the protagonist around and getting rejected the whole time. Wouldn't it be more realistic if it were the other way round? Beside that i find frustrating when the girl is willing and the boy just stops or pushes her away.
Old 2012-02-26, 20:33   Link #9
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I see the OP's point if it's just one girl and the male lead. Which is why romances often fail for me if they take too long to get consummated.

I'm willing to give the male lead some leeway, but some really need to get a move-on, imo (*cough*Shota Kazehaya*cough!* )

As for harems, though, I think School Days is a somewhat more extreme version of what would likely happen if harem anime leads took full sexual advantage of the situation, and it's not pretty.
Old 2012-02-26, 20:35   Link #10
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore

Send a message via AIM to speedyexpress48 Send a message via MSN to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Yahoo to speedyexpress48
Simple; harem leads are often idiots. And School Days is actually pretty damn realistic of what would actually happen, minus the stabbing.

Your Friendly Bitcoin Trader|Go Avs/Broncos
speedyexpress48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 21:47   Link #11
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

The others who think School Days is the only alternative to a completely wimpy male lead are presenting a false dilemma. School Days simply is the opposite extreme.

I'd personally like to see more harems where the male protagonist gets into several awkward situations regularly. Then around the *middle* of the series, he finally gives in to one girl and the two hook up permanently. The remaining part of the series would show their blossoming relationship while the other girls learn to Deal With It™. Clannad did this approach quite well (minus the sexy aspect for the most part).

Now for OP's question?

Perhaps the author simply doesn't have a clue when it comes to writing close relationships so makes up by prolonging the plot with sexual tension.

It could be for practical reasons, to keep the shipping fanbase on edge by placing the protagonist in several potentially romantic situations without fulfilling anything for the most part. As long as the audience is eager to find out who wins, they'll keep coming back for the story, and it makes the most sense for a writer to delay a consummated relationship until the very end (I'm thinking Infinite Stratos here), and sometimes not even delivering at all (Ranma 1/2, from what I've heard). If done poorly, which is way too often, this can come at the expense of character development and/or the audience's suspension of disbelief.

And sometimes, there is a big ongoing non-romantic plot, and the author doesn't want to drag it down by the additional drama or lovey-dovey scenes that would come up if a main couple were to form.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 23:21   Link #12
Autumn Demon
~

Male leads pushing away attractive girls makes no sense. I've seen studies that show around one in five males are apathetic towards sex, but a majority of the rest think about nothing but sex. And it is possible to have plot in a romance anime where the couple gets together early (see Kare Kano); it makes for a much better show.

Also, if you liked School Days I recommend White Album.
Autumn Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-27, 00:09   Link #13
Eragon
Still Alive

I think the reason is this: Anime is an escapist form of entertainment. It is there to satisfy the fantasies of its audience, not to portray reality(for the most part anyway). The writers write what they think the audience wants and what the publishers think will sell. Anime's that depict reality are small in number and not as popular as their counterparts(as far as I know). And like someone above said, the guy pushing away the willing girl, is there to prolong the plot and in my view - to a lesser extent - to shove in some more fanservice.
Old 2012-02-27, 01:16   Link #14
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
For goodness sake, the answer to this question is SO simple!!

If both the male and female characters were so willing, the anime would be over. FAST. The girl needs time to win the guy's heart.

I personally see nothing wrong with this. I'd much rather a guy act like a gentleman and cover his eyes when a girl gets naked in front of him instead of trying to have sex with anything that moves like Makoto. >___>
While such a character probably isn't realistic, he's at least pure. That's okay, isn't it?

Quote:
If he isn't a loser, he will have sex with everyone
I wanted to point out, Makoto DID have sex with everyone and he's the biggest loser out of all losers.

Quote:
The first example that really pops in my mind is Kanokon: the girl just wants to have sex, she often teases the boy, she's hot and willing, yet she gets rejected like she was trash. What's wrong with that dude? Ugay?
To be fair, Chizuru IS TRASH. At least, she's trashy, nothing more than a selfish, slutty brat who thinks rape equals love when it clearly does not. No matter how attractive she is on the outside, her personality flat out sucks. I can't blame Kouta for rejecting her for eleven episodes. I'm glad he did because it was like watching an adult whore trying to rape an eight-year-old boy!
.....that entire anime was garbage though.
Old 2012-02-27, 01:30   Link #15
Eragon
Still Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
While such a character probably isn't realistic, he's at least pure. That's okay, isn't it?
Yes I would rather have him be a gentleman but I want the girl to be pure too - although not oblivious(since pure usually means oblivious in most anime).

Quote:
that entire anime was garbage though.
Glad I dropped it after 2 episodes
Old 2012-02-27, 01:35   Link #16
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
I want the girl to be pure too
I do too....in most cases. If she's already his fiancee and tries to get him into bed, I can find that amusing....and not exactly impure because her mindset is, they're already married. lol

Quote:
Glad I dropped it after 2 episodes
You've done well. XD I lament that I will never get those six hours of my life back.
Old 2012-02-27, 03:50   Link #17
mecharobot

Quote:
If both the male and female characters were so willing, the anime would be over. FAST. The girl needs time to win the guy's heart.
That. Plus, there are a lot of shows where the romance is really just a side element for story or comedy. It is the most common thing people complain about, but when you actually have some spontaneous sex scenes, they complain about that too.

Also, not all males want to screw everything they cross paths with. Some hold to a certain sort of romantic idyll.
mecharobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-27, 04:29   Link #18
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Thank God, that Clannad's male lead ain't stupid...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-27, 04:59   Link #19
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
I do too....in most cases. If she's already his fiancee and tries to get him into bed, I can find that amusing....and not exactly impure because her mindset is, they're already married. lol
I do like pure girls generally, but I find impure girls can be too great of comedy source in some cases Such as Kuroko(Railgun), Yamada(B Gata H Kei), Hiyori(Lucky Star), Kanbaru(Bakemogatari) or etc .
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-27, 05:07   Link #20
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classified Info View Post
This is a thing i could never understand, really: when the protagonist is some unlucky dude, he can just hope for a girl to approach him, and he'll eventually try to peep on girls or do perverted things.

On the other side, if the male character is some lucky bastard and he is getting teased and provoked by a willing hot girl, he'll most likely push her away... homo? The first example that really pops in my mind is Kanokon: the girl just wants to have sex, she often teases the boy, she's hot and willing, yet she gets rejected like she was trash. What's wrong with that dude? Ugay?

This issue is shared by majority of romance/ecchi animes, with little exceptions, like Zero no Tsukaima (Actually, Saito rejects Kirche, but on the other side, he enjoys Louise) or Kissxsis (Keita often tries to push away his sisters, but he always ends up kissing and grabbing, so i cannot consider it like kanokon case, since the male character actually takes action). Beside those two titles, all other titles just seem to have gay male figures. The thing is that this looks too much unreal. I know some people that, if they were in those situations, would turn into animals, lol.

No really, since when morals and ethics affect boys? I thought it were the girls who were delicate beings with morals and an obsession for virginity, not the boys. Is it that way in order to avoid immediate sex scenes (because if you think about it, if the girl is willing and the male is willing aswell, what would stop them from making out?)?. It would be more realistic if the girl was harder to get to, and wasn't some kind of horny heated female.

What are your thoughts about this matter? Is it part of the japanese culture, or i just have fucked up morals? Also, what is wrong with waking up with an half naked girl sleeping next to you?
It's quite easy when you think about it

The protagonists you mentioned most likely are shounen manga/ anime. The target audiences are guys. They have different fetishes on girls, one will be: 'willing to go as far as possiblefor her unrequited love', which all comes down to giving away her virginity/ innocence. So the girls sometime have to act quite bold (or 'slutty' as some may put it ). But if the guy does not hesitate or acting "gay" like you mentions. He will pop every heroines' cherries. And one thing that shounen audiences hate more than anything else, is having their favorite heroines character having a sexual partner/ boyfriend.

So 1+1=2. The girl try to advance on relationships, but it must not happen -> dense protagonist