AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Chrno Crusade

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-04-23, 23:40   Link #1
jordanlim4

CC's chinese manga name??

Can someone tell me Chrno Crusade's chinese manga name or show me the website that has the chinese name on it? I'm planning to buy it from me local manga shop.. but don't know the name of CC's chinese manga...
Old 2004-04-24, 00:18   Link #2
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

東立出版社 holds the license for publishing the Chinese manga.

They publish it under the title 摩登大法師.
Old 2004-04-24, 01:02   Link #3
jordanlim4

I see... thanks!! btw I know its tongli who publish most of the mangas
Old 2004-04-24, 01:03   Link #4
ShinDragon

The one I saw was "聖槍修女"? I guess this is the HK name for it.
Old 2004-04-24, 01:29   Link #5
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

I too have heard of "聖槍修女" but so far the impression I got from other bbs was that though this title was announced, the publisher that announced it have yet to publish & release it.
Old 2004-04-25, 17:36   Link #6
Kaka
罪人クロノ

I think for "聖槍修女" is the mainland chinese translation while "摩登大法師" is from taiwan

personally I think "聖槍修女" sounds better since "摩登大法師" is a very screw up name.........
but anyways to me it's still chrno crusade no matter what XD
Old 2004-04-27, 07:13   Link #7
jordanlim4

Different publisher produce different names... and I got to know the name of CC by Tongli as the 摩登大法師
Old 2004-04-27, 09:44   Link #8
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaka
I think for "聖槍修女" is the mainland chinese translation while "摩登大法師" is from taiwan

personally I think "聖槍修女" sounds better since "摩登大法師" is a very screw up name.........
but anyways to me it's still chrno crusade no matter what XD
"聖槍修女" > "摩登大法師" x11ty billion...don't know what the hell TongLi was thinking.
Old 2004-04-27, 10:05   Link #9
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcasteak
"聖槍修女" > "摩登大法師" x11ty billion...don't know what the hell TongLi was thinking.
Heh... probably their translation team were going "Chrno? what the.... 那是什么西瓜?!", gave up and just say "Heck, Modern Exorcist 摩登大法師 sounds nice!!!"

But who cares?! From their 6 Volumes of CC on my hand, I am very happy with their quality of print. Even more happiness is the news that they are publishing Fullmetal Alchemist soon!!!
Old 2004-04-27, 10:38   Link #10
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh
Heh... probably their translation team were going "Chrno? what the.... 那是什么西瓜?!", gave up and just say "Heck, Modern Exorcist 摩登大法師 sounds nice!!!"

But who cares?! From their 6 Volumes of CC on my hand, I am very happy with their quality of print. Even more happiness is the news that they are publishing Fullmetal Alchemist soon!!!
Yah, TongLi has been picking up the slack ever since 大然 went down to hell; gotta give them props for that.
Old 2004-04-27, 15:41   Link #11
Kaka
罪人クロノ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh

actually I think "大法師" means more like priest than exorcist ^^b
and I have to say taiwanese publishers really like to make up some "unique" names, look at Final Fantasy lol

I got scared by the chinese names/titles translations ever since I learned some japanese ^^bbbb now just impatiently waiting for my 6 and 7 by kadokawa........
Old 2004-04-27, 16:34   Link #12
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaka
actually I think "大法師" means more like priest than exorcist ^^b
and I have to say taiwanese publishers really like to make up some "unique" names, look at Final Fantasy lol
It's more like "Great Wizard" if you really want to be literal, but I think Yebyosh got it right based on the context. Yah, Final Fantasy = "Space Warriors" ^_^;;
Old 2004-04-29, 14:52   Link #13
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Taiwanese manga companies sure come up with lame cheesy names for translation, compared to Hong Kong manga companies, who has more elegant translated names.

Best example would be Rurouni Kenshin.
Culturecom (文化傳訊), one of the biggest manga distributors in Hong Kong, owns the translation rights in Hong Kong, calls it 浪客劍心, which is literally the same as Rurouni Kenshin (Wanderer Kenshin)
On the other hand, Tongli, the Taiwan manga giant, calls it 神劍闖江湖, meaning "Adventure of the Holy Sword", WTF?

Another is Fruits Basket. It's Hong Kong name is 生肖奇緣 (生肖 is animals in the Chinese zodiac, as the manga depicts, while 奇緣 would mean "strange encounters". )
The Taiwan name by 大然 (Daran) before going bust and transferring its translation rights to Tongli was 幻影天使 (Phantom Angels, which, IMO, has absolutely nothing to do with people changing into animals of the Chinese zodiac).

Hikaru no GO:
HK: 棋魂 (Go Spirit)
Taiwan: (Daran) 棋靈王 (Go Spirit King)
Both refer to Sai, but the Taiwanese name just sounds so darn cheesy while the HK name sounds very elegant. After the transfer of translation rights to Tongli a few years ago, along with a lot of manga titles, Tongli has opted to follow HK's translation of 棋魂, though it confused a lot of consumers.

Despite the criticisms, Tongli has good translated names as well, such as DN Angel, and its translation is probably the best of all the Taiwan distributors, in par with those from HK. I've seen some Taiwan translated manga that made me cringe, and I try to buy the HK version if available. The Chinese titles for some obscure manga titles (like Matantei Loki and Peace Maker Kurogane) are available only in Taiwan, so sometimes I have no choice. (Fortunately, both are by Tongli. )
Old 2004-04-29, 18:49   Link #14
polarbear

Quote:
Final Fantasy = "Space Warriors" ^_^;;
lol i remember i saw this and i was like "what game is this?" then i realised it was final fantasy...

when i saw on the internet "神劍闖江湖" i never knew it was rurouni kenshin either..same goes to chrno crusade as wel of coz " 摩登大法師"
Old 2004-04-29, 23:09   Link #15
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Well... Chrno Crusade was translated quite well by Tongli IMHO...

However now they released FMA as 钢仔! That comes across more as "Fullmetal Brat". The terms chibi was also translated to something like Ultra Short Alchemist. All the above heard from another forum. Make me hesitate to buy the Tongli version. Most probably I'll get the FMA HK Jade Empire ( 玉皇朝 ) version.
Old 2004-04-30, 02:10   Link #16
Kaka
罪人クロノ

Taiwan's translation is pretty good too, although personally I perfer translation from HK more. They just need to put a little more work on titles ^_^

it's funny how they translated the title when "鋼の錬金術師" is already a "very chinese name" lol
Old 2004-04-30, 08:46   Link #17
jordanlim4

tell me, what is Tsubasa (erm.. there's a chinese character after this word) RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE from tongli??... well.. it doesn't really matter what name that is.. as long as the translation is good and well done, do you really care about its name??..

yeah... erm... that's why i wanna go learn japanese and after that, buy from japan itself (mangas and you-know-what games) Also... if you use a name that has already been created from the original ones... you'll get sue for copyright unless you use something else as the title... (nowadays, companies like to sue each other for all these copyright nonsense) That's why titles must be different from others and creative enough to actually come out those if not, you'll get sued for been not-so-original
Old 2004-04-30, 14:08   Link #18
Kaka
罪人クロノ

I do care ^_^
that's why I just get the japanese version instead

then what about Yu Yu Hakusho, Rurouni Kenshin, City Hunter, Saiyuki, Dragan ball, Prince Of Tennis, Kindaichi Shounen no jikenbo, angel heart, crayon shin-chan, and whole bunch of other manga ? if you get sued for using the original title, I think most of the publishers in HK and TW would be gone. Besides, I think all of the copyrights fee are paid to the original publishers in japan, so this shouldn't really be a big problem........of course I could be wrong

Last edited by Kaka; 2004-04-30 at 14:21.
Old 2004-05-01, 12:05   Link #19
jordanlim4

dragon ball in chinese is call 7 (dragon) ball or in short, 7 long zhu

Maybe its the main branch (japanese publisher) that's doing all these creativities and the translation part?.. the sub-branches do all these dirty stuffs.... Well, there's also something very different from all publishers, some have free-goodies in their manga, others doesn't..
Old 2004-05-01, 14:05   Link #20
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanlim4
tell me, what is Tsubasa (erm.. there's a chinese character after this word) RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE from tongli??... well.. it doesn't really matter what name that is.. as long as the translation is good and well done, do you really care about its name??..
The character is 翼 which means wing (basically it is kanji of "tsubasa")

I like Taiwanese translation more despite the corny titles; for the most part they do a decent job.
Closed Thread