AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-03-23, 19:43   Link #3041
Clarste
Human

Gathering takes time, so it's not exactly free. Plus I'd have to level up an alt with herbalism, buy them an epic flyer, etc etc. Frankly, buying even the inflated prices is a better investment of my time and gold.

Anyway, gathering is not what I was talking about. Gatherers do work, and deserve to get what they feel their time is worth (some people will always value their time less though). People who play the AH are just scalpers, taking advantage of a limited supply to create a little monopoly that lets them set their own prices. I don't think that's something to be proud of.

Edit: And of course merchants did things for profit. Obviously they're not working for the benefit of society. The point is not their motivations, but the effects their actions had. Aiming for a profit had the ultimate effect of of distributing goods to people who wanted them, and people are willing to pay higher prices for things they can't easily obtain. They served a role in society. That's the ideal of economics, to get people what they want to have. Unfortunately, there are also loopholes that people can take advantage of, but that's a negative side effect, not something to be embraced.

Last edited by Clarste; 2009-03-23 at 19:59.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-23, 19:44   Link #3042
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The only time I intentionally undercut is if the item I'm selling isn't moving (meaning I've put it up before and got it back 48 hours later, perhaps more than once), or I just want to be rid of it with no chance of it coming back (while still getting something out of it beyond vendor prices). The later happens when I get something I can't use and I have no idea what the real price should be, or I have a lot of it and just want to be sure it all gets moved so it won't take up bag or bank space anymore(cloth usually).

The earlier one (the itemes been up at least once already) tends to be engineering products...ammo or items made while attempting to level enginnering. At that point I'm lowering the price because it keeps coming back, and probaly a factor of supply and demand (too much supply, not enough demand). Things like engineering trinkets, or guns, or parts that you build in bulk to level the skill, but don't need for anything in particular. I was suprised the rare quality trinkets didn't move at all even at a low price. I would have thought someone would want to shard them for enchanting.

Bullets and arrows are just dependent on whos making stuff and when. It was jumping all over the place for a while.

With cloth, the prices go up for some of the middle grade cloths (mageweave and runecloth) due to the lack of people farming those items, since most people go to Outland now rather than run old world instances. Netherweave went up a little for few weeks, but returned to normal once the Death Knights and new characters started hitting Outland. Linen and Wool are usually low, and Silk jumps around sometimes, but is usually low.

Ore, Bars, and Gems fluctuate and in recent months selling Gems gets you next to nothing compared to the AH cut. Gems and BoE items from Outland are still rated rather high on the AH, but net little since you have to reduce the starting and buy out price to almost the AH take just to sell it. Northrend Gems that aren't rare quality sell for next to nothing (2 gold maybe).

Eternals sell pretty good though. As do most metals.
Old 2009-03-24, 00:19   Link #3043
krisslanza
Sleep beneath the flowers

I always undercut. I want my money now not like days later and wasting money on having to re-auction it.

MONEY NOW. >: (
Old 2009-03-24, 00:33   Link #3044
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Gathering takes time, so it's not exactly free. Plus I'd have to level up an alt with herbalism, buy them an epic flyer, etc etc. Frankly, buying even the inflated prices is a better investment of my time and gold.

Anyway, gathering is not what I was talking about. Gatherers do work, and deserve to get what they feel their time is worth (some people will always value their time less though). People who play the AH are just scalpers, taking advantage of a limited supply to create a little monopoly that lets them set their own prices. I don't think that's something to be proud of.

Edit: And of course merchants did things for profit. Obviously they're not working for the benefit of society. The point is not their motivations, but the effects their actions had. Aiming for a profit had the ultimate effect of of distributing goods to people who wanted them, and people are willing to pay higher prices for things they can't easily obtain. They served a role in society. That's the ideal of economics, to get people what they want to have. Unfortunately, there are also loopholes that people can take advantage of, but that's a negative side effect, not something to be embraced.
To be frank, don't blame me if you don't like inflated prices... blame the idiots who buy my shit on the ah... If there was no market for it no one would do it but because there are avenues people will do it, its the exactly the same with retail, I avoid paying retail whenever I can, if I can get it in bulk I will, if I can get it factory Direct then I will, but unfortunatley when it comes to virtual gold, people are a lot more loose with their "money"\. Also if I could make money on my two profession then I would definetly just craft crap but it doesn't work that way... Crafting never really pays off, even with JC cuts, because I actually have to stop empty my fucking bags cut your gems and then you tip me 20g for the rare patterns that I've farmed god knows how many dailies to do. Don't play it off as if only gathers suffer... crafters get the shaft when it comes to making gold, this specifically true for JC and enchanters, because really who really wants that +1 strenght to bracers? The market is LOPSIDED, because some things are just greatly undervalued and others are not. And plus with 10millions users your bound to have some idiots in there who greatly overvalue services. This market is quite like pokemon tcg days. Savy kids traded crap like vulpix's for charizards... this is just an example but its the same principal except simplified.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-24, 02:56   Link #3045
Skane
Anime Snark

Cool

Heh... I actually apply more than one principle when it comes to the Auction House.

For my Herbalist/Alchemist, I do engage in buying-low-selling-high whenever I see some high-valued herbs going for cheap. Whether it was through the seller's ignorance, naivety or desperation, I do not know nor care, because it means a profit for me as I can resell it for much higher.

In the field of Alchemy, I generally tend to focus on farming for the absurdly profitable crafts, and try to target crafts that coincide with my current questing area; so that I do not need to go out of my way to make money. The good thing about Alchemy is that you are mostly making consumables, so there is always a high demand by Raiders.

For my Miner/Blacksmith, I tend to undercut more as the items I am selling are not disposed of as frequently, so their value is not as high. That said, with Titansteel items being as good as they are now, it is not a problem for me to sell items in terms of 1000s, because the demand for these high-end items is high.

Feels good to open your mailbox and see 4-digit gold in it.

So while Blacksmithing does not allow me to sell often, it makes it up by allowing me to sell less for higher.

Cheers.
Old 2009-03-24, 05:38   Link #3046
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

AH itself is just another mini game in WoW.

Even scalping have it's own pitfall. There's nothing more heartbreaking to see someone flood the market with items that you have took time to monopolize. It could easily wipe out a considerable sum of your own gold in very short time There's no ingame mechanic or RNG to determine how success you are in this, just your wits and your luck.

So it's just risk/effort vs reward.

If you want stuff fast, then you ll have to pay a premium. Be patient, you can profit from it.
Old 2009-03-24, 07:19   Link #3047
Nosauz

Well I understand were hes coming from, most people who have now started to play wow, are casual gamers, ie, they don't play 7days a week 3-4hrs a day, they play when they feel like it, they feel that leveling is just as interesting as endgame stuff since they haven't reached there yet. So time really is about enjoyment for them so of course everybody is pissed about high ah prices, but again its the risk/effort vs reward thing, and some people who have more time naturally will be able to differentiate themselves from the pack. Also MMO's have always been spend the most time get the best toon, and since raiding is the pinnacle of this peak or hunting rarespawns once or twice a day, there is more incentive for players who spend a vast majority of game to fill their coffers instead of doing other things, because gold will always be of value, since most new additions cost gold. Anyway theres always a "balance" most players think that balance is much higher.
Old 2009-03-24, 07:25   Link #3048
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer

I got a strange problem.

This morning i was trying to log in to wow to check some auctions. And i kept getting Invalid account information. Checked the Account managment page, also invalid...

Tried recover password, tells me my email address is wrong/invalid.

I only started with WoW 2 month ago, and i'm 100% sure i haven't done anything to get myself banned. And i assume i would get a message should i get banned, for whatever I did. Also don’t think someone would bother to hack me seeing I don’t even have money to pay for a epic flying mount. And I only got 4 epics. So my account isn’t really worth much.

So what options do I have now? I can’t get in game. So can’t really ticket a GM with my problem. Can’t really post on realm forum either… >.< Quite pissed atm.

Currently watching: Aria the Origination & Dennou Coil
Sephi: Anime Icons | Signatures & Avatars | Renders
Sephi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-24, 07:30   Link #3049
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephi View Post
I got a strange problem.

This morning i was trying to log in to wow to check some auctions. And i kept getting Invalid account information. Checked the Account managment page, also invalid...

I only started with WoW 2 month ago, and i'm 100% sure i haven't done anything to get myself banned. And i assume i would get a message should i get banned, for whatever I did. Also don’t think someone would bother to hack me seeing I don’t even have money to pay for a epic flying mount. And I only got 4 epics. So my account isn’t really worth much.

So what options do I have now? I can’t get in game. So can’t really ticket a GM with my problem. Can’t really post on realm forum either… >.< Quite pissed atm.
Email Blizzard's account support and tell them your account name (password not required). Describe your problem. Wait for their reply.

Cheers.
Old 2009-03-24, 07:30   Link #3050
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephi View Post
I got a strange problem.

Call/E-mail support. It sounds like you have been hacked most likeyl. Unless your info is very wrong.
People hack for any reason.

EDIT: Damnit, too slow.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-24, 07:31   Link #3051
Nosauz

uhm? You might have been key logged? its decreased substantially but at this point just contact blizzard phonesupport, its a bitch but at this point I think you have no other options, also have your cd keys at the ready. This is why you want to link you wow account to your bnet acount as soon as possible. wow u chumps are fast
Old 2009-03-24, 07:39   Link #3052
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Be careful with the mods you download, and most importantly where, as often these can be the trigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
This is why you want to link you wow account to your bnet acount as soon as possible. wow u chumps are fast
... Okay, I'm probably missing a point here, but why would I want all my games to be linked to one account? Doesn't that mean that when I get hacked there is no bnet game I can play?
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-24, 07:57   Link #3053
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
... Okay, I'm probably missing a point here, but why would I want all my games to be linked to one account? Doesn't that mean that when I get hacked there is no bnet game I can play?
This is to help people manage their accounts and password. 1 account and password to access all the Blizzard games you have purchased. No more worrying about losing your old games and cd key cause if you have registered them into your blizzard account, you can download it back for free if i m not wrong.

Of course, there's that danger of compromising all your games when your account got hacked.
Old 2009-03-24, 08:01   Link #3054
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Yeah I still don't get that about B.Net account.. to me it seems like the honey pot for account hacking. Bliz shuts down your account too when they are checking things out as well (so you'd be boned if you have multiple accounts). I'd want an authenticator just to be on the safe side before I play around with that, unless there is something I'm missing. I like my redundancies.

Although I am careful with my stuff, if for some reason I did get hacked it would have to be a colossal failure on my part considering the security on my computer and network and my internet usage habits.
Old 2009-03-24, 08:11   Link #3055
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer

Found the reason why my account couldn’t be used… Though blizzard could of told me the reason when they suspended, and not when the ban is almost gone. Apparently I got a 3 hour suspension. Now I don’t know where that comes from, as I don’t really swear in game or insult people.

Quote:
This account has been temporarily suspended from accessing World of Warcraft. Please note, if your account is under Final Review the duration below is subject to change (up to permanent).

Duration: 3 Hours

An email has been sent to the registered address on the account with the reason for this suspension or review. If you would like to appeal this decision or did not receive the message please contact our Account Administration team via our webform.
Quote:
Following several reports of disrupting the in-game chat, we have issued the World of Warcraft account ****** a 3 hour suspension and issued the account a new password. No form of contact from you is needed as the account should automatically become available once the 3 hour suspension has elapsed. Please note that in case of any further reports in the future, the account may be disabled again.

A new, randomly-generated password will be emailed to you shortly. After you have successfully logged in to the World of Warcraft with this new password, please go to the Account Management page (https://www.wow-europe.com/account) and create a new, secure password.

It can take up to one hour for our system to generate and send the new password. If you have not received a password within one hour of this message’s delivery, please check your Spam, Junk or Suspect Mail folders.

If you believe that this suspension is incorrect or if you have not been playing yourself, please make certain that you secure the account. For more information regarding account security, please review the information below:

Account compromises are usually the result of the registered player of the account sharing his or her login information or playing on a computer that has a virus.

Please remember that it is your responsibility to keep your login information confidential. Any account that is registered to your name may not be shared with anyone except for one minor, of whom you are acting as a parent or guardian. You are also responsible for every use of your login information, whether authorized or not.
I got a notebook, as well as a pc, I sometimes log on to my notebook, but the ip should be the same.. I really don’t know where the 3 hour suspension comes from. But I’ll be ticketing a GM to find out what it actually was that made them decide this…

Currently watching: Aria the Origination & Dennou Coil
Sephi: Anime Icons | Signatures & Avatars | Renders
Sephi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-24, 08:26   Link #3056
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Looks like you got reported for spam.

Might want to check if your character hasnt been looted by hackers.
Old 2009-03-24, 09:33   Link #3057
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
Yeah I still don't get that about B.Net account.. to me it seems like the honey pot for account hacking. Bliz shuts down your account too when they are checking things out as well (so you'd be boned if you have multiple accounts). I'd want an authenticator just to be on the safe side before I play around with that, unless there is something I'm missing. I like my redundancies.

Although I am careful with my stuff, if for some reason I did get hacked it would have to be a colossal failure on my part considering the security on my computer and network and my internet usage habits.
One word: STEAM! It works, it consildates everything, you'd think people would get hacked and their steam accounts stolen but thats just not the case. Also when you consolidate its easier to deal with a corporation, instead of picking up instances of ur mulitple accounts scattered about you can point and make it easier for them to find your info. If your like me, you have a couple of trial accounts, maybe 2-3 accounts that you used or still do own. Since I've quit a couple of times accounts have changed hands many times, and once you link your it to your bnet account this solves many headaches that could possibly come up
Old 2009-03-24, 10:12   Link #3058
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Sephi, that is weird...I'd say either spam or someone found something you said insulting. I've heard of people getting 3 hour suspensions for the weirdest things. What I find even more bizzare is the exact reason wasn't listed in the email from Blizzard, which usually is, or at least was in the cases of people I know. So do find out why, because having that mark against your account is damn annoying. I've played since early 2005 and I have never recieved a warning or complaint. *shrug* I'd hate to think it was because someone right clicked your name instead of the gold seller they were trying to complain about...
Old 2009-03-24, 11:43   Link #3059
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

I been banned for 24 hrs before for telling someone to f*ck off after some rogue QQ about me for using totems in duel. Sadder to say, it's was on normal chat, not even a zone chat like trade or general.
Old 2009-03-24, 11:53   Link #3060
Nosauz

they do know they have a language filter right??? this so asinine, if you don't like bad words turn on the filter, or else don't bitch about fuck/shit, and a duel nonetheless... glad that twat didn't play freaking beta... cuz i'll tell you theres was amighty bit of cussing while transfers where down and you had to play on murmur...

Tags
blizzard, game, mmorpg, online, warcraft, windows