AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-06-22, 05:19   Link #1
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Dredd (2012) - new Judge Dredd film

The trailer for the new Judge Dredd movie is out.

Old 2012-06-22, 09:42   Link #2
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

oh yeah totally pumped for this movie since I'm a huge fan of the comics. Hopefully it turns out better than that subpar film starring Stallone. Although from the sounds of it this Dredd has a bad case of Batman Bale syndrom with that voice of his.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-22, 11:41   Link #3
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

*squee*

it definitely looks better and lacks a certain Rob person...
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-23, 05:12   Link #4
monir
cho~ kakkoii

That's a lot of slow-mo! Not exactly sure how I should feel about this remake. I'm, however, eagerly waiting for the Expendable 2.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-23, 17:11   Link #5
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
IP necromancy...

It hasn't even been that long since we had the Stallone movie...

Doesn't this also kind of miss the entire point of the comic, which is that Dredd is not a good guy by any stretch of the imagination? And now the trailer is portraying him as a hero cop against a drug lord.
Old 2012-06-23, 17:18   Link #6
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Well... it does look like it won't be campy... just leaving us wondering why the woman doesn't have a freaking helmet on..
Old 2012-06-23, 17:25   Link #7
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Well... it does look like it won't be campy... just leaving us wondering why the woman doesn't have a freaking helmet on..
I wouldn't describe the comic as campy, but it definitely had a lot of dark humor, and this looks plenty dark... without the humor.
Old 2012-06-23, 18:02   Link #8
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
IP necromancy...

It hasn't even been that long since we had the Stallone movie...
Stallone's film came out 17 years ago. That's almost an entire generation (depending on where you are in the world).

Quote:
Doesn't this also kind of miss the entire point of the comic, which is that Dredd is not a good guy by any stretch of the imagination? And now the trailer is portraying him as a hero cop against a drug lord.
It depends if the film is R-rated or not. If Dredd is R-rated, then I expect we will get to see more of the anti-hero fascist from the comics. Otherwise, he will simply be another Dirty Harry clone (which isn't necessarily bad).

I did like seeing Lena Headey as the bad guy (seeing any female character as a lead antagonist is always fun). I guess her time as Cersei has changed her career path. Here is hoping we see more badass-and-evil Lena in the future.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-23, 18:13   Link #9
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

It's R-rated
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-23, 20:03   Link #10
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
I think not. I see a more grimy fascist anti-hero going against the being that disturbs the order of "Justice".

Quote:
just leaving us wondering why the woman doesn't have a freaking helmet on..
Probably because the white helmet would be too easy to notice and shoot at.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-23, 21:40   Link #11
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Look dumb ill stick with the Stallone one
Old 2012-06-24, 00:53   Link #12
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
I think not. I see a more grimy fascist anti-hero going against the being that disturbs the order of "Justice".

Probably because the white helmet would be too easy to notice and shoot at.
Let's see ... bullet resistant helmet of any color versus shiny blond hair.... hmmm. I'm going to call "movie magic" on that one. I think it'd be more interesting to have her act with a helmet on (recalls the pilot in the "Aliens" movie who scored hugely behind a full flight helmet with goggles).
Old 2012-06-24, 09:45   Link #13
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Let's see ... bullet resistant helmet of any color versus shiny blond hair.... hmmm. I'm going to call "movie magic" on that one.
On top of that, she's a rookie. Or, at least Dredd calls her a rookie. Looks interesting, I like the gritty look, but I think I like Stallone's voice better. Also interesting that the drug lord is a woman.

Endless "Judge, jury, and executioner" Soul
Old 2012-09-21, 17:34   Link #14
james0246

What a surpisingly fun and even good film. Tight pacing, good editing, wonderful sound and visual designs, expert 3d with great and relevant slow motion effects (one of the first times I've seen slow motion used to actually advance and enhance the plot of a 3d film), and great soundtrack all combine together to give us the basis for a good film. But it is the relatively understated and downright smart script and acting that turns this from merely a good action film to a truly great genre experience. And I can't stress enough just how much fun it is to see mostly realized female characters stand on equal footing with the supremely masculine Judge Dredd. What a wonderful surpise of a film. 80/100.
Old 2012-09-21, 17:37   Link #15
Sumeragi
Banned

So basically, better than the other one starring Sylvester Stallone?
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-21, 17:52   Link #16
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
So basically, better than the other one starring Sylvester Stallone?
To say it is merely better would be like saying apples are merely better than dog feces. There is no competetion.

Last edited by james0246; 2012-09-21 at 18:04.
Old 2012-09-21, 17:53   Link #17
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
What a surpisingly fun and even good film. Tight pacing, good editing, wonderful sound and visual designs, expert 3d with great and relevant slow motion effects (one of the first times I've seen slow motion used to actually advance and enhance the plot of a 3d film), and great soundtrack all combine together to give us the basis for a good film. But it is the relatively understated and downright smart script and acting that turns this from merely a good action film to a truly great genre experience. And I can't stress enough just how much fun it is to see mostly realized female characters stand on equal footing with the supremely masculine Judge Dredd. What a wonderful surpise of a film. 80/100.
Glad to hear that... maybe I'll put it back on the list.

And no, the Stallone version was.... 8P
Old 2012-09-21, 18:43   Link #18
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Wow, they got infinite ammo.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-21, 22:03   Link #19
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Couldn't have said it better myself. Very great fun movie that stayed true to the comic form. Karl Urban was perfect as Dredd (you could feel the constant anger behind him). They perfectly captured the dystopian city as well.

Last edited by GuidoHunter_Toki; 2012-09-22 at 00:10.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-22, 00:22   Link #20
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
I think I've got a opening this weekend for a run to the theater. After your take, I'm really looking forward to this!
monir is offline   Reply With Quote