AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kami nomi/TWGOK

Notices

View Poll Results: Kami nomi/TWGOK: Goddesses - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 12 23.53%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 12 23.53%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 27.45%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 11.76%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 5.88%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 3.92%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.96%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.96%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-07-08, 21:18   Link #41
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Well when they announced they would cover the goddesses arc i was skeptical. And the 1st ep proves it. They skipped a lot of important stuff and just showed it as some flashbacks, plus some of my favorite conquests. Why did Lune appear now! They certainly are rushing things.
Old 2013-07-08, 21:24   Link #42
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
It fine if you're a manga reader and you just want to get to the good part... I guess they decided that the Anime-only viewers are not sizable or something
As an anime-only viewer, there really wasn't any problem jumping into the story at this point and following what was going on. It's obvious that they skipped some arcs (as alluded to in the opening), but as thundrakkon said, you can basically assume they were similar to the others, with the exceptions noted. If there are other important points, I'm sure they'll be mentioned when it becomes relevant.

So I really don't think it's really as bad for anime-only viewers as manga readers think it is. The story flow is quite logical as presented. I think it's mostly the manga readers who are more anxious about the skipped content than the anime-only viewers would be.
Old 2013-07-08, 21:30   Link #43
Tranhieu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyouka View Post
might as well read it from chapter 1 the anime is jumpy as hell with the ova's
Concur. If anyone's serious about the original content, might as well read it from the beginning.

Regarding this 1st episode, it was done pretty well. I'm not saying the staff should skip all the juicy parts and jump right into the most intense arc, but as a recap episode it accomplished its purpose well enough.

Personally I expected more from this 1st ep but meh my fault for holding hopes too high.
Old 2013-07-08, 21:31   Link #44
Manic
real men love pink

this gets a below avg score for me. I know they are getting far behind the manga, but wow they skipped too much. They even skipped my favorite Yui arc. If they wanted to hurry along with the goddess arc they could have cut the boring teacher arc or the side story they animated for the last ep.

grrrrrr so soo disappointed. The 1st 2 seasons were so good cus they followed the manga i hope the didnt fudge this one up just to rush things along
Old 2013-07-08, 21:36   Link #45
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Why do they decide to jump straight to goddess arc?
Old 2013-07-08, 21:46   Link #46
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
Why do they decide to jump straight to goddess arc?
Because it's the most popular part of the manga, and the first anime sales were sort of middling/average. Doing another season or two of similar conquest arcs with different girls may not have been financially viable, so they skipped ahead to the "best part".

If the sales pick up, I imagine it's possible they could go back and do some of the skipped arcs as OVAs eventually.
Old 2013-07-08, 21:52   Link #47
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
As an anime-only viewer, there really wasn't any problem jumping into the story at this point and following what was going on. It's obvious that they skipped some arcs (as alluded to in the opening), but as thundrakkon said, you can basically assume they were similar to the others, with the exceptions noted. If there are other important points, I'm sure they'll be mentioned when it becomes relevant.

So I really don't think it's really as bad for anime-only viewers as manga readers think it is. The story flow is quite logical as presented. I think it's mostly the manga readers who are more anxious about the skipped content than the anime-only viewers would be.
It's not so much about them not understanding, but rather that feeling that they've missed out on something awesome which is frustrating.

But I suppose that's up to the individuals; It's not like Manga-Readers and Anime-Only Viewers are expected to agree on things.
Old 2013-07-08, 22:17   Link #48
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Because it's the most popular part of the manga, and the first anime sales were sort of middling/average. Doing another season or two of similar conquest arcs with different girls may not have been financially viable, so they skipped ahead to the "best part".

If the sales pick up, I imagine it's possible they could go back and do some of the skipped arcs as OVAs eventually.
I wouldn't even say it's because it's popular.

It's the primary plot. The goddess arc is the continuation of the story that TWGOK is telling. As Diana said and as Lune made clear, the Weiss seem to be attempting a resurgence, and their previous intentions were to take over the world and feed on souls for power. Admittedly watching Keima repeatedly win over random girls can get a bit dull, and so they chose to animate a very large section of major plot instead of showing more of those captures.

Also, keep in mind that just because they've been skipped in terms of linear time, it doesn't necessarily mean that they wont appear on screen. We've already seen flashbacks of some captures, so why not assume that as those scenes become relevant we'll see more (if not the majority of the event)? Even though we've seen snippets of Tsukiyo, there's no guarantee that they wont expand upon those Tsukiyo flashbacks albeit in a non-linear fashion. It's technically possible that they could show the entire event in flashback form as well (however unlikely).
Old 2013-07-08, 22:32   Link #49
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
I wouldn't even say it's because it's popular.
Well, I'd have to find the interview, but I recall that being the way it was explained by the production staff -- that this was a popular arc in the manga, and that's why they wanted to adapt it. I wasn't making a comment on the manga myself, because I haven't read it.

Quote:
It's technically possible that they could show the entire event in flashback form as well (however unlikely).
Even if they have two cours in the best case scenario (still not known), I don't think they'll have enough time to cover the skipped chapters. At this point, it's better just to move on and run with the new plot, I would think. Extensive flashbacks (except little bits when absolutely required) would jar up the pacing.
Old 2013-07-08, 22:54   Link #50
Richocet
Lover of Purity

This seemed kinda rushed to me
But good nonetheless
Old 2013-07-08, 23:01   Link #51
Phantom

Here are my thoughts:
First, the girls that were supposed to be conquered before the Goddesses' arc are maybe less important to them. Maybe that is why they did not try to risk the chance of having to show the rest of the girls extensively.
I got to say though, I can't see the chance of the other girls getting their own episodes. Maybe flashbacks (hopefully not too long of flashbacks)?
Second, I don't see any problems with the first episode (as long as you have watched the OVA before this). It is just my opinion, though. Note: I did not see or read any of the comments before mine just in case.
Third, the people who made the newest Hayate series are here, too, for this KamiNomi adaptation. I do find the quite amusing. I have seen somewhere that the authors of Hayate and KamiNomi series are friends. If that is the case, I do sure hope that we are not taking the same path as the Hayate series.
Old 2013-07-08, 23:33   Link #52
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Jung View Post
Third, the people who made the newest Hayate series are here, too, for this KamiNomi adaptation. I do find the quite amusing. I have seen somewhere that the authors of Hayate and KamiNomi series are friends. If that is the case, I do sure hope that we are not taking the same path as the Hayate series.
It's not really the "same people who made the newest Hayate series". Out of all the key staff, the only one person who had a role in the new Hayate series was the video editor. All the other key staff: director, story planner, character designer, etc. etc. are all different, and they have a lot more impact on how the show turns out than the end-of-the-line people who do the drawing and colouring. So even though it's still "Manglobe", it's not really the same.
Old 2013-07-09, 00:04   Link #53
Phantom

Quote:
It's not really the "same people who made the newest Hayate series". Out of all the key staff, the only one person who had a role in the new Hayate series was the video editor. All the other key staff: director, story planner, character designer, etc. etc. are all different, and they have a lot more impact on how the show turns out than the end-of-the-line people who do the drawing and colouring. So even though it's still "Manglobe", it's not really the same.
Sorry about that. I really got to check my info. before I post stuff, eh? But still, the two authors supposedly friends under the same company name.... Hmmmm...must be my imagination.
Old 2013-07-09, 00:09   Link #54
Elestia

The pacing was a bit rough with the recap of all the girls past summer. They even had to compress the unfolding of the main plot within one episode to make up for it. A lot of the foreshadowing and framing of the story lost some of its touch, but they managed to execute it well enough. They certainly did not waste any time.

Still it was quite sad they had to do the exposition in such a dull fashion.
Spoiler for Comparison to the manga:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-07-09 at 00:25. Reason: added spoiler tags for comparison
Old 2013-07-09, 00:13   Link #55
backbone
Banned

Urgh, still can't get rid of this hard feeling after watching the terribly jarring and rough first episode. On one hand, i'm glad they decided to animate the Goddess arc, which is definitely the most interesting and crucial turning point in the entire Kaminomi's universe. On the other hand, it sort of saddens me that some interesting heroines that Keima had captured in previous arcs will only appear shortly as flashback (even though they've really grown on me in the manga).

But whatever, since Keima, the most impressive harem lead in my book is finally back, i'll just sit and enjoy the ride
Old 2013-07-09, 00:29   Link #56
jvcscasio
Lord of Lurkervile

Quote:
Thank god for that, if the Hayate staff did Kaminomi, they would cover all girls, and skip the goddesses arc, then put fillers about watches...
Old 2013-07-09, 00:39   Link #57
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elestia View Post
The pacing was a bit rough with the recap of all the girls past summer. They even had to compress the unfolding of the main plot within one episode to make up for it. A lot of the foreshadowing and framing of the story lost some of its touch, but they managed to execute it well enough. They certainly did not waste any time.

Still it was quite sad they had to do the exposition in such a dull fashion.
Spoiler for Comparison to the manga:
Spoiler for Reply to manga comparison:

Was there previously a thread for discussing the anime for manga readers? I suspect as more and more people watch this episode these discussions will get increasingly dangerous.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-07-09 at 00:48. Reason: added spoiler tags
Old 2013-07-09, 00:48   Link #58
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Was there previously a thread for discussing the anime for manga readers? I suspect as more and more people watch this episode these discussions will get increasingly dangerous.
Yes; I mentioned it a few times before in this thread. Anime Spoilers & Speculation is a good place to discuss what was cut and what it might mean for the future. These episode threads aren't a good place.

(And please: if anyone is going to compare the anime to the manga at all (for things already shown or skipped), please use spoiler tags.)
Old 2013-07-09, 00:48   Link #59
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Well for one I'm happy it wasn't a train wreck like Rozen Maiden's first episode, and at least they did enough (sort of) for the important returning characters we never really got to see animated. They skipped swimming girl and Shogi girl but I can live with that as long as I get my goddesses.

Also needs moar Elsie.
Old 2013-07-09, 01:07   Link #60
SQA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvcscasio View Post
Thank god for that, if the Hayate staff did Kaminomi, they would cover all girls, and skip the goddesses arc, then put fillers about watches...
As one of about 5 people actually commenting on the just completed 4th season, I laughed.

And I doubt anyone else got the joke.
Closed Thread