AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2011-03-28, 01:43   Link #1
Dr. Casey

Can there be a slight addition to the Advanced Search function?

At some message boards, whenever you use the search function you can adjust just how detailed the results are. You can set things so that only the first 200 characters of each post are displayed, for example (A system similar to what AnimeSuki uses), or you can change the character limit to something higher, or even make it to where entire posts are returned. I suck at explaining things so right now I'm sure none of you have any clue what the hell I'm talking about, so here's an example using a random message board to demonstrate what I mean. I'm talking about the 'Return First' option at the very bottom; if you choose 'All Available', complete posts are displayed in the Search results rather than a chopped off thumbnail version.

I think it would be nice if AnimeSuki had something like this. I raised the idea in some thread a couple of years back and didn't get much more feedback than 'That's a pointless idea lol you're dumb', but personally I think it would be a very useful addition. The current Search function is pretty good for most purposes and I'm sure that it suits most people just fine, but there's a few things that it doesn't cover very well. Like... let's say that I ever want to read through the posts that I, or someone else, made in a certain subforum (I do this a lot because I'm a stalker, lul). I think it would be much more convenient to have the entire posts gathered on one single page (Or 25 posts per page, rather) where I can just scroll down and read them, rather than having two line previews for each post and having to open them all in new tabs to read each one. Or maybe I want to read through posts containing certain words or character names. I don't know, I just like having everything on one page and being able to read through it all easily. I find searching for stuff on AnimeSuki to be cumbersome because it lacks this feature.

The last time I mentioned this I think someone said that the Search results would be way too long this way, but I don't think that would be a problem. Check the example forum I linked to in the first paragraph. You have to select 'All Available' yourself in order to have entire posts returned; the default is just a short preview like here at AnimeSuki. Short previews are also the default when using Quick Search; so in order to get longer post lengths returned, you'd have to use Advanced Search then go out of your way to select it. Nobody who thinks it's too long or ugly or congested or blah blah whatever would have to deal with it.

Anyway, that's all. If it's possible to implement, I think it would be a useful feature.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-28, 04:01   Link #2
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

The problem is that we're simply using different forum software than the site you are referring to. The site you mention uses phpBB whereas we're using vBulletin.

In my opinion, with the exception perhaps of this one advanced search feature you are referring to vBulletin is way better than phpBB. This might be because it is commercial software and has a team of developers working on it full-time.

Now we are using an older version of vBulletin (v3.8.6 while latest is v4.1.2), but it doesn't appear the newer version has what you want either.

Anyway, this means to add the requested functionality we would have to modify the forum, either by installing a ready available plugin (or something) or hacking the forum software ourselves. Personally I'm not sure if I want to spend time on that.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-28, 04:10   Link #3
Dr. Casey

Ah, I was hoping that adding this wouldn't be too much of a pain. Thanks for the response; if you tried implementing the feature that would be great, but if you don't feel like it that's totally fine too.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-28, 06:19   Link #4
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

GHD is the value for the preview’s length hardcoded? If not check for any hook in close proximity; it shouldn’t be too difficult then. I’d check for you, but I have no copy of vB3.8 installed.