AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi Episode 2 Rating
Perfect 10 127 57.73%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 59 26.82%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 26 11.82%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 1.82%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 0.91%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.91%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-04-15, 11:56   Link #101
NeoSlicerZ

I was rather WTF? when I was watching the first episode, but this second episode is pure gold. The way Haruhi grabbed Kyon by the tie and dragged him around, brilliant . Haven't felt like this since GTO.
Old 2006-04-15, 12:03   Link #102
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSlicerZ
Haven't felt like this since GTO.

why thank you.

please come again.

Old 2006-04-15, 12:08   Link #103
Arlyn
Moe~ is important!

Haruhi's not over-rated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant
But there is a fundamental difference between "over-rated" and "suck".

"Suck" can be used to describe any body of work with complete disregard of actual quality of the product. But "over-rated" can only ever be used on works that actually have some degree of merit. As such, instead of disregarding a review that consider a product "over-rated", I would instead consider it proof that the product must be at least decent.

But when saying that something "sucks" or is "over-rated" is mainly a matter of views, subjective views. So, even if the product has some degree of merit, if the reviewer has a negative opinion nothing can be done to change their mind.

The problem however, arise by the fact that they are creating an opinion based solely in one (two at best) episodes of Haruhi. So, they are free to do so, so we are to ignore them and form our own opinion.

About the over-rated thing. People who say that are, to my eyes, people who can not deal with a different kind of presentation like was the first episode. They are people who can not figure the small details of presenting the representation of a "live action" (bad) amateur movie in an anime format.

Or are just bashing for the sake of it, in this case not even Haruhi could do something. Or could she?
Old 2006-04-15, 12:22   Link #104
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlyn
But when saying that something "sucks" or is "over-rated" is mainly a matter of views, subjective views. So, even if the product has some degree of merit, if the reviewer has a negative opinion nothing can be done to change their mind.

The problem however, arise by the fact that they are creating an opinion based solely in one (two at best) episodes of Haruhi. So, they are free to do so, so we are to ignore them and form our own opinion.

About the over-rated thing. People who say that are, to my eyes, people who can not deal with a different kind of presentation like was the first episode. They are people who can not figure the small details of presenting the representation of a "live action" (bad) amateur movie in an anime format.

Or are just bashing for the sake of it, in this case not even Haruhi could do something. Or could she?
Oh, in that case we are talking about apples and oranges.

After many years, I no longer give a damn of convincing someone that something is good. If they can't tell the difference between gold or lead, that's their problem.

In fact, it's totally futile to try to convince someone that their entire life philosophy is wrong and that they better convert to my thinking. I leave such things to TV Evangelists.

It's more important that I am able to detect a decent show, than trying to convince the unworthy that they should watch them. As such, I find it useful that "This is Over-Rated" can be used to detect good quality shows despite bad quality reviewers.

Many people out there are just not worth your time. Don't even bother to prove you are right to them, you have better things to do.
Old 2006-04-15, 12:28   Link #105
MarmoO

At the beginning of the first episode I was close to stop watching it, thankfully I didn’t have anything better to do so I somehow endured Mikuru’s singing. I’m really happy I didn’t quit coz this show may be made of gold. I hope it won’t go worse later. I have really high expectations for this one. Right now I'm giving it "8" with hope it may score even higher.
Old 2006-04-15, 12:52   Link #106
Yashiro

I've gotten so many people to love this show as I do. Everyone I've shown the series to has loved it, with one exception - my sister, who thought the first episode was too strange and refused to watch the second. She's missing out on an amazing thing
Old 2006-04-15, 13:11   Link #107
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashiro
I've gotten so many people to love this show as I do. Everyone I've shown the series to has loved it, with one exception - my sister, who thought the first episode was too strange and refused to watch the second. She's missing out on an amazing thing
"Forcefully arrest" her like Mikuru and make her join the SOS.
Old 2006-04-15, 13:13   Link #108
Yashiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by fict_ticious
"Forcefully arrest" her like Mikuru and make her join the SOS.
Good idea
Old 2006-04-15, 15:13   Link #109
Last_Hope
System/Web developer

I love this show. The first episode was great (I would like to think that seeing the first episode again when all the characters have been introduced is going to make it even better. ) and now this one. Just awesome.

I like how she did to get the attention of the guy (I can´t remember his name) sitting infront of her when she came up with her great idéa to start a club of her own.

Want to know who did this kickass sig? Just click it!
Old 2006-04-15, 15:15   Link #110
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valient
Many people out there are just not worth your time. Don't even bother to prove you are right to them, you have better things to do.
True true, exactly the philosophy I live by
Old 2006-04-15, 15:17   Link #111
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
Anytime the words "over-rated" or "suck" is used... you can lop 1000 credibility points off of the review. Its possible those two have become part of the "basic 500 words" of english used by lesser sentients these days.
Not really... "Over-rated" in my mind means that the show may be good, but its popularity is way too high for how good the show is. For example, I would consider a mediocre show with a ton of people watching overrated. "Suck" in my mind means that the show is actually bad. Both need proper backing statements to become useful comments, but I can certainly say "Anime A is over-rated. I don't get why people are so interested in the shallow characters, lack of plot and cheesy music."
Old 2006-04-15, 16:12   Link #112
mp3chan
Junior, I guess

Then I think this show is under-rated. It's relatively good, but how many people are watching?
Old 2006-04-15, 16:22   Link #113
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

A great but unusual anime like this will definitely have its detractors. When so many people are falling all over themselves to say how great something is, it's tempting to try and find fault with it. We're rating it so high that surely we must be over-rating it. Personally, I don't think so, but it would be a logical thing to think.

In any case, the style of humor is not to some people's taste. Too bad for them. I class the humor here with that of my other favorite comedy anime, Ichigo Mashimaro: subtle absurdity.

In Japan, on 2channel, the "anti-" Haruhi thread ("Suzumiya Haruhi, the worst diarrhea anime of this season") is up to five threads (~5000 posts). But there are now 45 threads in the main forum for Haruhi (i.e., over 44,000 posts). Fate/Stay Night, the big hit of the winter season, only has 61, with a three-month head start.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2006-04-15, 16:48   Link #114
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas
Not really... "Over-rated" in my mind means that the show may be good, but its popularity is way too high for how good the show is. For example, I would consider a mediocre show with a ton of people watching overrated. "Suck" in my mind means that the show is actually bad. Both need proper backing statements to become useful comments, but I can certainly say "Anime A is over-rated. I don't get why people are so interested in the shallow characters, lack of plot and cheesy music."
I should have added that usually when those words are used... its usually done without any reference support. You're just supposed to bask in their supreme judgement.

The "anti-Haruhi" thread.... heh, Kaoru is being too nice. It seems like there's always a group in the back of the hall who prefer to "diss" everything ... the terminally jaded who are actually no fun at all to be near because they're only capable of producing "negative waves, Moriarity".

Its not enough they don't "get" something ... they have to dump on it to make themselves feel better about not getting it. An example might be the "llamas" in MMOs who make fun of roleplayers.

Note this is different from the folks who have problems or don't like something and support their reasoning and note that opinions may differ.
Old 2006-04-15, 16:54   Link #115
AMon10A

Well I have to say not typicaly being a fan of this sort of thing and the actual first episode being almost painful to watch. This was actually entertaining and funny. The best part of the show is Haruhi herself.
Old 2006-04-15, 18:26   Link #116
porchoky

this show is great. Haruhi is funny, but for me it's Kyon's side comments that are hilarious (espeically in the first episode). The only thing that bothered me was sometimes, it was hard to tell whether Kyon was actualy talking to haruhi or he was just thinking, but I guess it doesn't matter much, since she doesn't listen to him anyways
Old 2006-04-15, 18:43   Link #117
Adigard

Quote:
Originally Posted by porchoky
The only thing that bothered me was sometimes, it was hard to tell whether Kyon was actualy talking to haruhi or he was just thinking
When Kyon was thinking to himself "Anyway, isn't cutting it the day after I point it out a bit hasty?", it's pretty obvious he also asked... since she very clearly answered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by porchoky
but I guess it doesn't matter much, since she doesn't listen to him anyways
She was listening VERY intently to his discussion in the middle of Ep. 2 about humans innovating and genuises and stuff... And look where that got him ^^;;
Old 2006-04-15, 23:39   Link #118
Eclipze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant
If they can't tell the difference between gold or lead, that's their problem.
Spoiler:

That said, Episode 1 of Suzumiya Haruhi was a little underwhelming for me, even though I do "get it". S.H episode 2 ranks, in enjoyability, almost as high as Ouran episode 2. Animation quality is spendid as usual (it IS animated by the renowned Kyo-Ani afterall), pacing was excellent, and the comedy was not out-of-place.

I'll probably give the episode a 8.5.
Old 2006-04-16, 00:23   Link #119
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipze
....That said, Episode 1 of Suzumiya Haruhi was a little underwhelming for me, even though I do "get it". S.H episode 2 ranks, in enjoyability, almost as high as Ouran episode 2....
Your spoilered post made a lot of sense: beauty is in the eye of the beholder, to at least some extent. In fact you proved your point by placing Ouran ahead of Haruhi, since I consider Ouran enjoyable but quite ordinary, while Haruhi is unique and an instant classic, especially for its fabulous humor, to say nothing of the unexcelled animation, even in ep1. To say episode 1 was "underwhelming" is to me like saying the Grand Canyon is just a big ditch. Every cell in my body was laughing as I watched ep1. Of course, the only thing more beholder-dependent than beauty is humor.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2006-04-16, 00:30   Link #120
Pakxenon
popcorn

Somebody voted a "1".

Overrated: Quality does not meet popularity expectations.

Suzumiya Haruhi is definately not overrated. Very well underrated, actually, until popularity soars even more (not according to seeds:leechers, though XD).
Closed Thread