AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-08-22, 14:51   Link #1
marvelB

Chapter 468 discussion (spoilers)

FINALLY, we focus back on the Hogback battle (was looking forward to this one!). Summary time:

-Jigorou and Pendog capture Chopper and Robin. The zombies have a conversation with Hogback, then Chopper talks with the mad scientist. It turns out that when Cindry was alive, Hogback proposed to her, but she had rejected him. It also turns out that Cindry is actually quite strong, as Hogback modified her body. She attacks Chopper, but he withstands the hit. Robin tries to purify Cindry, but Jigorou and Pendog stop her, and shortly afterwards get into a fight with each other. Robin then uses her wits to make both zombies fall out of the building. Hogback orders Cindry to stall both Chopper and Robin while he makes his getaway, but Cindry disobeys him. Hogback starts to cry, and somebody (this part isn't clear, but it's probably Cindry) says that they can't move their body....

Hmm... interesting-sounding chapter. So, it looks like Hogback was pretty obsessed with Cindry after all (that explains the shrine from earlier...), and it was pretty obvious that Zoro and Sanji's zombie counterparts wouldn't get along very well. Hmm.. it looks like Hogback himself is pretty weak, but that last part of the spoiler seems to suggest that he might have special control of Cindry in some way (that is, if Cindry was the one saying that her body couldn't move). Still gotta wait for the chapter to come out before things are more clear...
Old 2007-08-22, 15:04   Link #2
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
Sounds interesting. Too bad Hogbacks so weak.
Old 2007-08-22, 22:39   Link #3
cheese4u
da big boss

Can't Hogback turn into a bat? DF power maybe? I was just wondering cause I was kinda hoping that a bat Zoan fruit would be Mihawks power since he looks so much like a vampire. But I'm guessing he's a pure swordsman like Zoro. Oda has a habit of making a characters power not match anything about them. Someone help me out cause I could've been imagining the thing where Hogback turned into a bat.
Ya know, when a man works hard his entire life enduring hundreds of ladies, many of whom he does not even remember you'd like to think that at the end of the day he will be given a lot of money, without having had to earn it. -Leon Phelps
Old 2007-08-22, 23:47   Link #4
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese4u View Post
Can't Hogback turn into a bat? DF power maybe? I was just wondering cause I was kinda hoping that a bat Zoan fruit would be Mihawks power since he looks so much like a vampire. But I'm guessing he's a pure swordsman like Zoro. Oda has a habit of making a characters power not match anything about them. Someone help me out cause I could've been imagining the thing where Hogback turned into a bat.
Your probably a bit confused cause eariler on there was a character that was like a bat; he was probably a zombie like so many others... he was one of the minions that lead Nami, ussop and chopper into that trap with the normal zombies. though i don't remember what happened to him... probably got beaten up easily by one of the other characters.
Old 2007-08-23, 12:31   Link #5
marvelB

The zombie you guys are thinking of is Hildon, who was one of the first zombies shown in the storyline. Yeah, he does seem to be a vampire-like zombie, though we haven't really seen him do anything special. The last time I believe we saw him was when he warned Moria about the SH crew busting into his mansion to get their shadows back...

Anyways, more light was shed on the spoiler. Hogback says that zombies shouldn't have any humanity left in them, and that he has absolute control over them. He proves this by kicking around Cindry and has her lick the floor. Chopper is quite pissed about the fact that not only does Hogback toy around with the dead, but makes them his slaves. He tries to reason with Cindry, and Robin apparently tricks Hogback into ordering Jigorou and Pendog to jump off the building (heh). Also, turns out it was Cindry saying that her body couldn't move... not only that, but it was her who was crying, not Hogback....

More and more interesting! I guess we'll learn more about Cindry's past next chapter. That thing about Hogback making her lick the floor kinda disturbed me, though (it also brought back to mind when Spandam was abusing Robin during EL). Can't wait to see what becomes of these developments....
Old 2007-08-23, 21:47   Link #6
chitgoks

if hogback's indeed weak, then id be pretty disappointed. only thing hogback that may make him powerful was that he modified himself. why not..
Old 2007-08-24, 19:12   Link #7
marvelB

So, the chapter is out... and I actually quite enjoyed it, too. Hogback further proved that he was an evil bastard by saying that he became a genius surgeon for personal gain, rather than for the sake of helping others. He also said that in life, Cindry was a kind, considerate person (which is proved when she's shown sewing the buttons back on Hogback's jacket in the brief flashback), and already had a fiance when he had proposed to her (wonder what happened to THAT guy...). Finally, after Cindry died in the "tragic accident", Hogback quit his job and soon after, met Moria, who helped him bring Cindback to life. However, he only revived Cindry for her looks, and doesn't care about her personality (which, of course, greatly angered Chopper). So... yeah, it seemed that Cindry may have somehow regained more memories of her former self at the end of the chapter. And following the patterns of all the previous battles, Hogback ought to go down next chapter....

Oh, and something else that's interesting: looks like Pendog had no qualms about attacking Robin, since Chopper says that he kicked her into submission. I find this strange, since he previously risked himself to protect Nami from Absalom, but I guess Hogback's had good control over him. And... it was really wierd to see an old guy like Jigorou use Zoro's signature 108 Pound Cannon move.
Old 2007-08-24, 20:27   Link #8
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
Lol now this is what the other mangas need. Especially Naruto. DRAMA. So much of it in this chapter alone. Crazy.
Old 2007-08-25, 10:35   Link #9
marvelB

I rather enjoyed learning more about Hogback and Cindry's past. Also, I kinda like the fact that Hogback "revived" Cindry out of lust for her, not love (it would be too cliche if it were the latter). In fact, now I'm more interested in who was the unfortunate woman who had her shadow stolen to reanimate Cindry's body....

And speaking of learning of character's pasts, I REALLY hope that we get a flashback about "pre-lazy" Moria during his fight with Luffy....
Old 2007-08-25, 11:55   Link #10
Otani-kun
Beta Tester

Send a message via MSN to Otani-kun
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Oh, and something else that's interesting: looks like Pendog had no qualms about attacking Robin, since Chopper says that he kicked her into submission. I find this strange, since he previously risked himself to protect Nami from Absalom, but I guess Hogback's had good control over him. And... it was really wierd to see an old guy like Jigorou use Zoro's signature 108 Pound Cannon move.
Dont forget what Hogback said, zombies who just got a new shadow might act a bit like their old selves, but in due time they,ll be fully
under his control.

The bit where Pendog and Old zombie guy jumped out of the window was hilarious, I wonder what happened to them and the shadows. o.o
About Cindrey, well..she wasnt able to move at the end of the chapter so I think Chopper's words really got her body to remember. She might aid Chopper and Robin against Hogback. (Wonder if he can fight, havent seen him do anything till now.)
Old 2007-08-25, 23:26   Link #11
TwistedMarionette

Hoggback is has def has to be strong, notice that the strongest enemys are taken out last, next go Gekko Moria, Hoggback and Cindy are all thats left (besides OZ), i think were finally going to see an amazing battle between Hoggback and Chopper (much like Usopp vs perona)
Old 2007-08-26, 13:34   Link #12
Phenomenal
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Phenomenal
This was kind of a boring chapter. Hogback's flashback was kind of lame and then the guy proceed's to run away but something happens to Cindry.
Old 2007-08-27, 02:09   Link #13
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedMarionette View Post
Hoggback is has def has to be strong, notice that the strongest enemys are taken out last, next go Gekko Moria, Hoggback and Cindy are all thats left (besides OZ), i think were finally going to see an amazing battle between Hoggback and Chopper (much like Usopp vs perona)
Don't forget, Spandam was one of the last villians to be taken out in the enies lobby arc... so ya... Hogback probably isn't strong and just has strong minions to throw in front him preventing him from getting his much deserved beating... much like spandam

I think if Hogback had a way to fight he wouldn't still be running behind his minions and would start acting like he's strong
Old 2007-08-27, 15:48   Link #14
Wolcik

Send a message via MSN to Wolcik
but Hogback still changed himself somehow into a zombie Oo

some strange hating plates woman lives in Cindy's body, but the body still have some will left :P

I hope that Zoro and Sanji will meet their shadows and deafet them with no time XD

and I think unless Oda made OZ just to bring up some chaos than he will fight Luffy or something like that :P - or after Moria is beaten and says to all the shadow that they are free he still says that he will follow his dream Oo
Old 2007-08-27, 19:54   Link #15
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolcik View Post
but Hogback still changed himself somehow into a zombie Oo

Hogback... isn't a zombie. His brief flashback even shows that he didn't look any different during the time that Cindry was still alive than he does now.

And about Hogback being weak, we can't rule out the fact that he possibly modified himself like he modified Absalom's body (though I highly doubt it since he tried to run away), or else he might have a weapon with a DF power like Spandam did....
Old 2007-08-28, 00:47   Link #16
TwistedMarionette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
Don't forget, Spandam was one of the last villians to be taken out in the enies lobby arc... so ya... Hogback probably isn't strong and just has strong minions to throw in front him preventing him from getting his much deserved beating... much like spandam

I think if Hogback had a way to fight he wouldn't still be running behind his minions and would start acting like he's strong
true, but dont forget they stated that he was weak way before cp9 started to fight, but i can see whwere your comming from ^^;;
Old 2007-08-28, 01:50   Link #17
Crusader

Send a message via MSN to Crusader
interesting chapter