AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Old 2009-04-02, 17:09   Link #861
enragedjacquescouste

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Ah... Ahhaha... Sorry, I was just surprised at her popularity and did a round-about-way of saying that I personally don't give a care about her. I've already read her whole surreal arc in the actual JP volume.
Thanks for her last name though. Not sure how I missed that... *shrug*
How can you not care about her?? I'm borderline obsessed with her...
enragedjacquescouste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-02, 22:05   Link #862
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by enragedjacquescouste View Post
How can you not care about her?? I'm borderline obsessed with her...
Which I can ask straight back, what is so good about her?
As far as I see, she doesn't have any great points whatsoever. Her character design? Not really (though I froze when her older form appeared with a butler. By the way, the freeze was from the shock of her appearance changing). Her personality? Nothing interesting or that likable. Her story? A surreal tragic whose only remaining impression was how crappy Hayate's parents are.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-02, 22:43   Link #863
enragedjacquescouste

1) Her style of dress is so unorthodox that it really begs the question what her origins are.
2) She has the strong, assertive personality of Hinagiku without the odd self-consciousness that Hina falls victim to. She was completely open with Hayate about her feelings towards him and what she expected out of him...I found that enchanting in a manga where literally all of the other girls have hidden feelings.
3) Her arc was the only time the manga got serious at all. Not only that, but it also brought an unprecedented mystic quality to the story that HnG completely lacked beforehand (with a few exceptions revolving around Isumi's supernatural encounters). In due time, I definitely foresee Athena being the catalyst for the final major plot turn of the series that'll literally throw every character's position in the social network into jeopardy.

This is why I love A-tan
Old 2009-04-03, 02:40   Link #864
Fandal

Is it just me or is Hina becoming strangely more powerful as the manga goes on? Her sword fighting skills seem to be getting stronger and stronger. Nothing close to Hayate, but for a normal character, progressing really well.
Fandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 05:36   Link #865
Mentar
Banned

Just so that you don't misunderstand: More fanboy powah to you ...

Quote:
2) She has the strong, assertive personality of Hinagiku without the odd self-consciousness that Hina falls victim to. She was completely open with Hayate about her feelings towards him and what she expected out of him...I found that enchanting in a manga where literally all of the other girls have hidden feelings.
And it's exactly the lack of self-consciousness and other visible weaknesses which keeps her from MY top spots in my personal rankings. I think I understand the appeal of having one girl going pretty much all-out in a harem of more self-conscious characters, but that's also what's DEFINING a good character in my book. It's not the strengths, it's the flaws.

Take chapter 195, for example. The fact that Hina was willing and able to grit her teeth and climb the ladder to the "high place" in order to let Ayumu win, overcoming her weakness, is what I consider really touching. Athena would probably have jumped at the platform in one go without even USING the ladder.

Winning with strength is one thing. Overcoming weakness is more in my book

Quote:
3) Her arc was the only time the manga got serious at all.
Er, no. There were enough serious arcs for Hina, Hamster and Maria in particular. But I'd concede that the Athena arc was particularly dark.

Quote:
Not only that, but it also brought an unprecedented mystic quality to the story that HnG completely lacked beforehand (with a few exceptions revolving around Isumi's supernatural encounters). In due time, I definitely foresee Athena being the catalyst for the final major plot turn of the series that'll literally throw every character's position in the social network into jeopardy.
Well, you might be right there.

Quote:
This is why I love A-tan
Fair enough
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 06:13   Link #866
Fandal

I think we should be careful about Athena not having any flaws or weaknesses. We don't know enough about her and seeing her position now in life, I'm pretty sure she has her own huge problems.

Wondering around in a gigantic castle alone and wanting to go back there...... There's something wrong with that picture.
Old 2009-04-03, 13:33   Link #867
Used Can

I hope I won't sound offensive for saying this, but you guys do realise you're discussing tastes, right? Tastes are subjective you know. So, asking something like "how can you not like this character if I love him/her to death?" is quite silly.

Anyway, back to discussing the chapter, I think it is fairly obvious the one who spoke to Hayate at the end was Maria (she's the only one who calls him "Hayate-kun," unless I'm mistaken). Why would Hata hide her face?
Old 2009-04-03, 14:20   Link #868
enragedjacquescouste

Well, Hinagiku does as well, although the rest of the speech pattern (incredibly polite) is Maria all the way.
Old 2009-04-03, 15:22   Link #869
anselfir
Style Über Alles

maria end noowwwwwwwwwwwww
Old 2009-04-03, 15:35   Link #870
Used Can

Quote:
Well, Hinagiku does as well, although the rest of the speech pattern (incredibly polite) is Maria all the way.
I'm fairly sure Hina calls him "Ayasaki-kun".
Old 2009-04-03, 15:49   Link #871
VRMN
Dangoism

Send a message via AIM to VRMN
She calls him Ayasaki-kun from after the Sports Festival arc up until after Hina's birthday event. Before the former and after the latter, she uses Hayate-kun.
VRMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 17:29   Link #872
Used Can

Hell, I really suck at noticing these kinds of things. Anyway, as it was already mentioned, the speech pattern is undoubtedly Maria's.
Old 2009-04-04, 09:03   Link #873
9taileddemon

Probably is Maria. Would explain her general lack of appearance of late even when everyone else is doing stuff. Perhaps Hata was preparing for the next part of the arc.

Maybe even... plot development!?
9taileddemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 10:04   Link #874
uis

i love A-tan...
I hope she will appear in season 2 ^^

-It is okay if you are weak. I will grab your hand and realize your dream-
uis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 14:26   Link #875
Used Can

Spoiler:

Last edited by Used Can; 2009-04-04 at 18:24.
Used Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 17:38   Link #876
Fandal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Old 2009-04-04, 18:22   Link #877
Used Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fandal View Post