Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2007-10-10, 11:01   Link #1
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote?

I was wondering, why does quoting in this forum doesn't include previous quotes if the person whom you quoted from quoted another person's post? Many times I think that it's very helpful because you can see what that person's replying so instead of you quoting a vague statement that no one knows what you're talking about. I just think that it would be a convenient addition.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-10, 11:18   Link #2
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
I was wondering, why does quoting in this forum doesn't include previous quotes if the person whom you quoted from quoted another person's post? Many times I think that it's very helpful because you can see what that person's replying so instead of you quoting a vague statement that no one knows what you're talking about. I just think that it would be a convenient addition.
It's not "this forum", it's the way vB forums work. The vB designers decided that quoting quotes would take up too much room (I assume that would be the reason) so they decided that they were not needed in that particular situation.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-10, 11:42   Link #3
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
It's not "this forum", it's the way vB forums work.
I personally prefer it that way . Quoting a message that quotes another message that quotes another one, just feels like unnecessary repetition to me. >_< !
Old 2007-10-10, 20:33   Link #4
CandyVanMan
Part Time Hikikomori

I've been on a forum where they had that feature. Needless to say, it was severely exploitable and lead to a few epic nested quote threads that really butchered things. Besides that, you can manually quote quotes...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainQuote
Like this
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubQuote
See, you just have to be willing to work for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkayDangDude!
Yeah, now I'm being silly. It would be disturbing if every topic looked like this...
CandyVanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-11, 00:04   Link #5
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
It's not "this forum", it's the way vB forums work. The vB designers decided that quoting quotes would take up too much room (I assume that would be the reason) so they decided that they were not needed in that particular situation.
I like the way the vB forum works. I hate quoting quotes, takes too much room, and unless it's really desired, it's not necessary.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-28, 16:36   Link #6
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Sorry to bump but I would like it if we can at least have double quotes. If I recall, there should be a way (built in vB option or a plug in) to limit the number of quotes so it doesn't make a reply long and annoying. It would be a big help especially in highly active topics where you may need to go back a page or two to see what the person is really talking about.
Old 2009-02-28, 17:03   Link #7
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I am also for having one extra level of quotes on the basis that we have and have had too darn many discussions where people seem to be completly ignorant to 1) what you are replying 2) what they wrote in a previous post. I believe quotes with two levels can help to diminish the amount of "random posting"/offtopicness, by adding more context to a reply.

I am however against having more then two levels in quotes, for the same reasons as posters above me.
Old 2009-02-28, 17:32   Link #8
xris
Just call me Ojisan

I'm not even aware this option exists in vB, or at least I can't find a setting in the vBulletin Options.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-02, 18:48   Link #9
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

You are correct about there not being any option.ref Apologies, I was thinking it was only natural for them to have this option. I will guess it was considered the functionality multi-level quotes would provide was better accessed with the Threaded/Hybrid view.

DragoZERO, I'm afraid adding this option will require a forum alteration. I do not see any plugin available in the usual sources for the current version of vB for enabling limited nested quotes in posts.

I've looked up the code in quetion...
Code Reference
Quote:
Originally Posted by newreply.php
$pagetext = trim(strip_quotes($postinfo['pagetext']));
Imediatly after this call the hook newreply_post_quote is called; I doubt it can be used in this instance, unfortunetly.
This solution (remove that function call), while suggested by vB staff, is best avoided.1

The function strip_quotes is located in functions.php, there are no hooks in place so creating a vB plugin to modify the beahaviour may be difficult. Altering the behaviour of the function may also be undesirable since it also effects calendar events (unless I'm missreading the code).

Old 2009-03-02, 19:58   Link #10
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I most likely saw that feature on another forum I admined at I guess. Thanks for replying and looking into everyone.
Old 2009-03-03, 07:42   Link #11
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
I'm actually happy we don't have the, you quote another persons quote messages, if it were inserted I'm certain people would then whine about the messages getting too long because it then goes quote on quote on quote and so on. The posts would end up being too long
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote