AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-01-23, 21:42   Link #21
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Wind Waker's sea still had a lot more going on for it than Skyward Sword's sky. WW had all those islands, and treasure-finding, and such. Skyward Sword? Sky was fucking devoid of anything. So he has a point on it being boring.
Old 2013-01-23, 21:53   Link #22
Xagzan

I keep hearing people say they had trouble with the motion controls. Gotta say, that just wasn't my experience. Sure, against like the lizalfos, it was harder to slash quickly at the correct angle, but it wasn't game-ruining by any means. It wasn't a huge hassle. I just had to check myself to make sure I wasn't slashing wildly.

My main complaint was Fi repeating the most painfully obvious things right after they'd already been said.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-23, 22:12   Link #23
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

The only aggravating moments I had with the motion controls was that damn harp minigame for the Piece of Heart. That could go to hell.
Old 2013-01-23, 22:16   Link #24
Xagzan

Was that the harp minigame in the pumpkin bar?
Old 2013-01-23, 22:26   Link #25
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
This isn't really an actual flaw with the game, just a preference. It along with breakable shields more-or-less means you need to be a little more careful and skillful with combat situations. You can't just mash a button anymore while intermittently guarding or parrying.
I think the real flaw lies in the fact that no matter how good you are, the fighting controls will fail maybe 5 or so percent of the time. Transfer that statistic to the B button failing and I don't think reviewers would have been very lenient, lol. Someone pointed out that you start off with way more hearts than other Zeldas. The devs knew.

Quote:
Sure Fi is captain obvious, but she's at least a more interesting design than a glowing ball with wings. Heck, even Tatl was just a Navi re-color. Midna's probably the best non-human female companion so far though.
The fairies weren't nearly so intrusive.

Quote:
Wait what? I was always aware when I was in a dungeon and when I was not. There's very simple ways to distinguish that too.
You took what I said too literally. I was referring to how the surrounding areas are very dungeon-like themselves. I didn't like that.

Quote:
Well, being barren is kind of the point. The surface of the world is a place where people haven't lived for a very long time. And while the dungeons don't really play into the area conflict, it still exists outside of dungeons. Rather the dungeons are much more central to the overarching plot than a contained sub-plot.
I don't feel that's a compelling excuse. There are civilizations on the surface. The existence of a Goron archaeologist indicates this.

Quote:
The sea in Wind Waker is empty and boring too, and unlike that at least you can travel around the sky faster and you're not limited to travelling in only the direction the wind is going.
The sea in Wind Waker has WAY more content.

Quote:
Narrative hasn't been Zelda's strong point if you ask me. I figure you're looking in the wrong place for that. The adventure aspect is largely the driving force behind the Zelda series, not it's story.
My expectations were pretty high going in based on things I had read.

Quote:
The third time is probably not really necessary sure, but you also fight Girahim 3 times. Do you have a problem with that too?
I didn't like that either (and kinda sucked at fighting him lol) but at least he was an actual character and not just this annoying blubbery thing that kept stepping on you as you rushed to chop toes before the time ran out. I loath time limits.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-23, 22:39   Link #26
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post
Was that the harp minigame in the pumpkin bar?
Yeah, that one. Not sure if it was more or less annoying than the turntable minigame for its piece of heart.
Old 2013-01-23, 22:50   Link #27
Xagzan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Yeah, that one. Not sure if it was more or less annoying than the turntable minigame for its piece of heart.
Wait, you had to do that one for a piece of heart? I know I got all the heart pieces, but for that minigame, I only have vague recollection of eventually just giving up

But that turntable one was sooooo annoying. I would always get through the rings, but then completely miss landing on the right part.
Old 2013-01-23, 23:03   Link #28
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
I think the real flaw lies in the fact that no matter how good you are, the fighting controls will fail maybe 5 or so percent of the time.
As was said earlier, some copies (or more likely than not some Wii controllers) have some kind of error where they simply do not work some of the time. I remember hearing about people having to calibrate their controller every few minutes... that never happened to me.
I never had trouble with the combat. The swimming and skydiving, sure, they were difficult, but as I alluded to earlier that was more my own fault than anything else.
At least the swimming is better than Mario Galaxy's excuse for swimming controls.
Quote:
Tatl wasn't. Navi sure was!
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-23, 23:05   Link #29
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
I think the real flaw lies in the fact that no matter how good you are, the fighting controls will fail maybe 5 or so percent of the time. Transfer that statistic to the B button failing and I don't think reviewers would have been very lenient, lol. Someone pointed out that you start off with way more hearts than other Zeldas. The devs knew.
I can't say my experiences with the controls was flawless either, but I wasn't really expecting perfection in the first place. I feel comparing something like infrared motion sensors to a simple push of a button isn't really fair.

Quote:
If a character's going to be intrusive they should at the least be interesting to look at. Fi fulfilled that I'd say unlike the fairies.

Quote:
I don't feel that's a compelling excuse. There are civilizations on the surface. The existence of a Goron archaeologist indicates this.
There were Kiwis, Mogmas and robots, it shouldn't feel barren like you say. Do those not count as a civilizations or are humans and Gorons the only ones that matter?

Quote:
The sea in Wind Waker has WAY more content.
The method of navigating said overworld I find more important that whatever content it has. Skyward Sword's was much less annoying and tedious which is why I prefer it.

Quote:
I didn't like that either (and kinda sucked at fighting him lol) but at least he was an actual character and not just this annoying blubbery thing that kept stepping on you as you rushed to chop toes before the time ran out. I loath time limits.
He was actually just as relevant to the story as Girahim was. It was Demise in a sealed form after all.

And I take it you don't like Majora's Mask very much either then.

Last edited by SilverSyko; 2013-01-23 at 23:18.
SilverSyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-23, 23:38   Link #30
jedinat

Quote:
And I take it you don't like Majora's Mask very much either then.
I like Majora's Mask a lot and am hoping for a 3DS remake. The 3 days thing is a little different.
Old 2013-01-23, 23:49   Link #31
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Not very much. It's just a super long time limit that you can speed up, slow down or reset at your whim.

Guess I'll be forever alone in my sentiments of Majora's Mask being my least liked 3D Zelda.
Old 2013-01-23, 23:59   Link #32
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
The method of navigating said overworld I find more important that whatever content it has. Skyward Sword's was much less annoying and tedious which is why I prefer it.
Oh, Skyward Sword definitely has Wind Waker beat as far as the overworld navigation went, that much is true. It's just that it didn't matter to much because there was so bloody little do at all in the sky as it was, while the Great Sea of Wind Waker has plenty to do.

And Wind Waker had the best damn overworld theme music ever. :V You cannot deny that.
Old 2013-01-24, 00:12   Link #33
Shadow5YA

Skyward Sword's motion controls were fine for me. I also thought the dungeon design was very interesting and creative (the time warping crystals in Lanayru were brilliant for example).

The problem however was that the main game was all there was. It was like the opposite extreme of Majora's Mask. The sidequests were uninspiring, there was only one real town area (Skyloft) while the rest were puzzles, and the overworld was also barren. After you finish the main game, there was really no incentive to go back and explore the rest of the world and get the other Pieces of Heart, because there wasn't much to explore outside of the main story.

Anyway, back to the thread topic. During the Nintendo Direct presentation, Iwata blatantly said Wind Waker HD was just to tide us over until they finish their next Zelda game. I already have Wind Waker on Gamecube and don't care that much for graphics, so I will be skipping out on this.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-24, 00:21   Link #34
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
And Wind Waker had the best damn overworld theme music ever. :V You cannot deny that.
It was good, but I think Twilight Princess had the best overworld theme.

Quote:
The problem however was that the main game was all there was. It was like the opposite extreme of Majora's Mask. The sidequests were uninspiring, there was only one real town area (Skyloft) while the rest were puzzles, and the overworld was also barren. After you finish the main game, there was really no incentive to go back and explore the rest of the world and get the other Pieces of Heart, because there wasn't much to explore outside of the main story.
Nah. Twilight Princess was the opposite extreme. That game was Zelda linearity in it's finest form. There was absolutely nothing to do outside of main plot aside from heart pieces and Poes.
Old 2013-01-24, 02:43   Link #35
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
I liked WW best mainly because:

-Link was not the 'child of destiny'. He merely was on a quest to save his sister(at first or course).

-Link's myriad of different faces made him feel more alive than every other Link.

-Tetra actually lending a hand. Usually, Link gets no help, just 'go here' and 'here, you need this to get to X area...*receives item* *cue music'. She actually felt like she took some part in helping in your journey, at least in the beginning/middle parts.

-the final battle. Best and most climatic final battle in Zelda history. Why? Because
Spoiler for WW end boss details:

That's why I'll def get my hands on this game, although I still feel that, after seeing that MM teaser(fake or otherwise), MM is the game that most deserves a remake/upgrade.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-27, 01:40   Link #36
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I don't know if you guys heard the other Zelda news from that day, but the first all-new Zelda game for the Wii U is said to be non-linear. May it be like the original Zelda in some ways; a big, open world format and also non-linear? Imagine if the first all-new Zelda for Wii U was kind of like Skyrim in those regards.

About the Wind Waker HD remake, I love Wind Waker, so I'll get the Wind Waker HD remake. Wind Waker is my favorite Zelda game. My only complaint about the HD remake is the graphics. They look nice, but they aren't cel-shaded like the original. They aren't cel-shaded, but mimic Wind Waker's visuals. I would have prefered if they did HD cel-shaded graphics for this remake.
Old 2013-01-27, 11:22   Link #37
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Those bloomed up HD graphics look bad. Ugh.

Why would anyone buy such a lazy port when you can play the original?
Old 2013-01-27, 14:02   Link #38
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post

Is it on Wii U VC yet?

Otherwise it is pretty hard to find nowadays. Only eBay for used and decent price. Of course if you already have it there's no reason to get that though. OoT 3D wasn't special at all except the 3D and redone graphics...
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-27, 14:05   Link #39
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post

Because it looks better and will play in a much larger, clearer resolution? Wind Waker's art is cel-shaded, so making them HD isn't even a bad thing.

Also, on the topic of Wind Waker's Sea VS. Skyward Sword's Sky, I don't get the complaints about either. The sea had plenty to explore and paying attention rewarded you cool fights and awesome weather changes. God forbid we have to actually navigate for more than 5 minutes in an "adventure" game. Yet I see people playing Fallout 3 without fast travel because it's fun to explore. As for the skies, they're definitely somewhat barren, but it's just a branching overworld to me. "Why walk, when you can fly?" comes to mind, and you have the occasional events up there too.

Like I said, my complaints with Skyward Sword weren't about the actual game at all- I think it's pretty and feels like a proper 3D Zelda game. My copy just happened to be downright broken, so using the gimmick of swinging in certain directions completely impeded my progress and ruined my fun. If I have access to a nice copy someday, I'll definitely play it.
Old 2013-01-27, 14:09   Link #40
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
Like I said, my complaints with Skyward Sword weren't about the actual game at all- I think it's pretty and feels like a proper 3D Zelda game. My copy just happened to be downright broken, so using the gimmick of swinging in certain directions completely impeded my progress and ruined my fun. If I have access to a nice copy someday, I'll definitely play it.
I've never heard anything about there being better or worse copies of the game... I don't see how that could even work. It would be a whole region or w/e that would have gotten a "broken" copy and I never heard anything like that either. There was just one save game bug that got patched.