AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > High School DxD

Notices

Old 2012-02-05, 03:11   Link #821
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterVampire View Post
Does anyone else think that bringing back Asia as a devil was really mean?

She was this very good and religious girl and now she is dammed and can't be with god and goto heaven,
She still serves God, it never mattered what form she now take. It is obvious she didn't become a Nun to get a ticket to Heaven, she became a Nun because she wants to help other people.

Angel, Devil, they are just labels. Asia is still Asia.

That's the difference between scripture stereotyping and to actual treat people like individuals. Asia is not obligated to do evil... The same way Angels are not obligated to do good.

Actually, one could classify Asia as a Fallen Devil.
Old 2012-02-05, 05:44   Link #822
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
That spying bird of the true harem king was sooooo subtle
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-05, 06:09   Link #823
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

episode.5

seems the fallen angels behave more demonically than the devils in this anime.

next episode. Wow now I know why the main site of HSDxD is called haremking.tv
Old 2012-02-05, 10:49   Link #824
king12354

Where have I seen this before? Oh yeah, just about every other ecchi show. The shallow characters and weak story = dropped.
king12354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-05, 13:02   Link #825
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
seems the fallen angels behave more demonically than the devils in this anime.
Well, they are the betrayers, for one.
Devils — despite what some people tag them as — probably have their own morals as well.

Oh, and don't feed the troll.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-05, 13:21   Link #826
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterVampire View Post
Does anyone else think that bringing back Asia as a devil was really mean?

She was this very good and religious girl and now she is dammed and can't be with god and goto heaven,
Asia herself answered your question at the end of the episode. She just wants to be with Ise(first priority over the church).
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-05, 13:26   Link #827
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Well, they are the betrayers, for one.
Devils — despite what some people tag them as — probably have their own morals as well.
Indeed, though I wouldn't be surprised if Rias (and thus the people she would gather around herself) is more of an exception than a rule among the devils. I'm sure that we will get to see some despicable ones as well as the show goes on. Like the guy at the end of episode 5 - I'm pretty sure that's a devil, and not of the friendly sort, seeing we see him and Issei clash in the OP.

Though yeah, the fallen angels are probably as low as it gets.
Old 2012-02-05, 14:36   Link #828
Malkuth
Banned

Enjoy Rias drawn by one of my favourite H-mangaka, Minato Fumi...

Spoiler for NSFW:
Old 2012-02-05, 14:55   Link #829
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Indeed, though I wouldn't be surprised if Rias (and thus the people she would gather around herself) is more of an exception than a rule among the devils. I'm sure that we will get to see some despicable ones as well as the show goes on. Like the guy at the end of episode 5 - I'm pretty sure that's a devil, and not of the friendly sort, seeing we see him and Issei clash in the OP.

Though yeah, the fallen angels are probably as low as it gets.
See, that's the thing; what is the justification of portraying Devils as being evil in culture?

Devils are originally caricatures. Creatures who serve no purpose but to terrify humans. They do evil for evil's sake, with no net personally benefit whatsoever. They are hollow because that's all they were; just like how Angels are nothing more than shallow portrayals of divine slaves doing the will of their master.
Once you start to install personalities, emotions, and free will into these ancient concepts, they couldn't fit the old image any more.

In short, humans are not the only ones who want to have meaning in their lives; Angel and Devil do too. And since religion only caters to humans and nowhere else, the supernatural entities have to make their own path.

This reminded me of a comment made in the 2nd season of Mahoromatic, by the antagonist android. She made the observation that supposedly humans have a heaven to look forward to, but androids like her don't even get the privilege of having a place in Hell.

The movie Dogma also made the same argument. That humans are loved, but Angels are not. If you are not human, you are religiously irrelevant.
Old 2012-02-05, 15:26   Link #830
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
See, that's the thing; what is the justification of portraying Devils as being evil in culture?
Nothing really - as you said, they originally functioned as a boogieman to scare people with, and thus were given the characteristics of a boogieman. The opposite with angels and what they represent. I'm not really sure what you want to say with the above post though, that even caricatures become nuanced the moment you try to a tell a compelling story with them in the center ? Well, obviously - we have seen that unfold in this story all along, with Rias being a prime example of a devil that acts nothing like the caricatures her label originates from.

I do think it's reasonable to expect that all devils won't be like her though - not because of some religious convictions (I'm non-religious, so all connations tied to it mean less than nothing to me), but because that's simply the common archetype these folk usually fulfill in a story ... and unlike Rias, the guy introduced at the end of episode 5 doesn't feel like someone out to subvert tropes, even if he does get a personality assigned to him to act as a being beyond a caricature

I don't expect all the devils to be puppy-kicking-evil here (Rias herself has already denied that possibility), much like I don't expect angels (not the fallen ones) to be perfect goodie-two-shoes: like in most stories that strive for a decent narrative, shades of grey are likely to rule the day. But that doesn't mean I expect all the devils to be like Rias either, and wouldn't be surprised at all to see that many of them act in accordance with their caricaturist origins, imbued with personality and desires or not. Rather, I'd be pretty surprised if they didn't (though that may well be a welcome surprise).
Old 2012-02-05, 16:20   Link #831
Silvance
Storm Vanguard
*Graphic Designer

Well, Issei's reaction to Yuuma's plead was refreshing... I thought for sure he'd spare her like most protagonist of the shounen genre, but I was proven wrong, and I'm glad. XD

Also, Asia's facial expressions near the end was priceless. I felt all warm and fuzzy inside during that scene. >///<
Silvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-05, 19:54   Link #832
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
Once you start to install personalities, emotions, and free will into these ancient concepts, they couldn't fit the old image any more.
There are people who give personalities and their own unique traits to demons. Gremory, for example, "is depicted as appearing in the form of a beautiful woman with the crown of a duchess tied around his waist".

In the present, Shakugan no Shana has used the concepts of demonology extensively.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-05, 22:33   Link #833
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

One thing that bothered me, why didn't Issei had that headache when he was praying to God? While Asia had that headache?

Also I remember in The World Only God Knows anime there are demons which are more civilized and live lives normally in their own plane, the ones they capture are the ones which are truly evil in roots, meaning evil spirits that inhabit people.
Old 2012-02-05, 23:12   Link #834
EroKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
One thing that bothered me, why didn't Issei had that headache when he was praying to God? While Asia had that headache?
Serious moment with Issie while a funny one with Asia's?
Old 2012-02-05, 23:35   Link #835
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Anyone else find it hilarious that the voice of Issei's Sacred Gear is the same as the voice of the transformation announcer in Kamen Rider?

This entire show is simply ripe material for hentai doujins (I mean just LOOK at the OP and ED)... even though I'm suddenly thinking that's actually kind of redundant for this show to have doujins.
Old 2012-02-05, 23:40   Link #836
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
Anyone else find it hilarious that the voice of Issei's Sacred Gear is the same as the voice of the transformation announcer in Kamen Rider?
It looks like Ankh's hand and has the voice of the Gaia Memories. If my memory serves me correctly, combining those things means Issei should be transforming into a giant fire elemental any day now.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-05, 23:52   Link #837
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post
Serious moment with Issie while a funny one with Asia's?
That was a heart felt moment with Issie and Asia. I really loved that scene, makes him one of my fav anime male characters.

Poor Asia she can't pray to God anymore...I hope later on she wouldn't be stuck as a joke character with that kind of development.
Old 2012-02-06, 00:03   Link #838
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

This show has no right be as entertaining as it is. It's one of the shows I am most enjoying this season, as Daimaou was when it was on. Maybe it's partly the fairly strong lead. And maybe it's the fact that both novels were adapted by the same writer (Yoshioka Takao).

And maybe it's the excellent cast. Hikasa Youko proves once again how good a voice actress she is, playing Rias Gremory. She does as good a job with this kind of character as Itou Shizuka (who plays Himejima) would have (e.g., as Shinra in Kimi Aru). Toss in Nabatame Hitomi as the evil fallen angel and you've got three of the best seiyuus of all for strong mature female roles. Taketatsu Ayana is perfect for any character called "Koneko-chan" ("little kitty"). And Kaji Yuuki is the real deal.

I have made a characters/seiyuus page with pics of the five main characters and their seiyuus, and giving info about each seiyuu.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-06, 07:00   Link #839
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

So fellows, I somehow can't bring myself to watch the ep a second time, but I don't think anyone mentioned this either......

What happened to Accelerator Priest? I don't remember seeing him at all....

Once that dude retreated down the stairs he left the house lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest35 View Post
Ugh, 'Yuuma-chan' ... Despite how much of an utter b***h she was, I'll miss seeing her body...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I didn't expect Yuuma to die, at least not so soon. I thought her status as Issei's first "girlfriend" and her hotness granted her a certain amount of plot immunity. I was gravely mistaken. Although I'll miss her body, it's good to know that anybody (on the villain's side) can die.
Well that makes 3 of us who will miss her body

Imagine that, a villain is popped into a thousand feathers and our final words to her are "I'll miss your body"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizuno View Post
I think it was said already, but the episode would have more impact if Asia wasn't in the OP and ED, that way perhaps not many people would expect her to come back. It was still a powerful scene even though we expected Issei and company would do something about it.
I've expressed the same thoughts about this ep. Even if they wanted to make the ED as epic as it is without Asia, just put Yuuma in the pole dancing and what not. The rest of the girls in this series had some time in the ED, so having Asia replace Yuuma would have been really funny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
Well, talking about uncalled for and distasteful, fanservice shots then mine will be complaining for this episode about leaving her breast uncovered at a scene packing much gloom and drama delivered by Issei.
Spoiler:
Well finally someone mentions this. I thought I was the only one who was paying attention to Asia's exposed boob throughout the entire ordeal

My question still stands: who had the gall to cover that up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyack View Post
But I got a friend ( called Shiso) and he refuse to watch it, he saw a lot of anime and I keep convincing him that this Anime is quite good.
He watched episode 1 and keep saying that it is hentai and those stuff and he refuse to watch it anymore. Well, do he is obviously wrong in my opinion and how about you guys, does this anime has a good story line or does it only about hentai?
Well your friend needs to stop with the "1 episode rule", which I think doesn't even exist , I mean, the first eps don't always define the tone of a series (C3!), and while I won't argue about this series piling on the Akeno Rias shower scenes, I can't even bring myself to calling this a hentai anime.

I mean just once, just one scene worth a few seconds does the 2nd hottest girl in the academy show us some skin. Ain't no hentai anime do that, no siree. In most hentai anime the second hottest girl would be naked in a heartbeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Enjoy Rias drawn by one of my favourite H-mangaka, Minato Fumi...

Spoiler for NSFW:
No lingerie? Pass

*runs* I so hate that police tape....stay in the last decade where you belong lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvance View Post
Well, Issei's reaction to Yuuma's plead was refreshing... I thought for sure he'd spare her like most protagonist of the shounen genre, but I was proven wrong, and I'm glad. XD
Personally I wish Issei said his farewell to her like in the manga, it certainly would have completely closed the Yuuma chapter in his life and show that he will move on from that, and it really would have made him look more cool. The anime made it look like he was regretful about the whole thing
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-06, 08:11   Link #840
Malkuth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron View Post
What happened to Accelerator Priest? I don't remember seeing him at all....

Once that dude retreated down the stairs he left the house lol.
He joined the priest mob and turned into another nameless character defeated

Quote:
Well that makes 3 of us who will miss her body
At least she got an appropriate Higurashi-like expression before dying

Quote:
Well finally someone mentions this. I thought I was the only one who was paying attention to Asia's exposed boob throughout the entire ordeal
I was since last episode when the left side of her nightgown got torn on the crucifix the moment she lost that glowing thing that killed her then, but as was shown in the last episode not immediately, only to be revived at its end

Anyway, logic and decent writing aside... it was a deliciously cute little nipple

Quote:
My question still stands: who had the gall to cover that up?

Quote:
No lingerie? Pass
Probably I am the only one that found her facial expression the most attractive feature of the drawing

Quote:
*runs* I so hate that police tape....stay in the last decade where you belong lol
I don't want to get another infraction for inappropriate content Run to pixiv for the uncensored version

Tags
comedy, ecchi, fantasy, harem, romance, shounen