AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2024-01-31, 11:43   Link #61
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

"The external defibrillator as known today was invented by Electrical Engineer William Kouwenhoven in 1930. William studied the relation between the electric shocks and its effects on human heart when he was a student at Johns Hopkins University School of Engineering."

https://www.communityheartbeat.org.u...-brief-history

So they have defibrillators but don't seem to know about insulin which was discovered about a decade earlier.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2024-01-31 at 12:09.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-01-31, 16:09   Link #62
Huh...?

I am really confused about the timeline setting of this World.
They show it to be around the Victorian/Edwardian Era, depending on the fashion style, but the overall medical knowledge seems to be more advanced.
Plus they also seem to have some form of Magic or Skill system.

Genjitsu Shugi Yuusha Fandom Wikia ("Administrator")
Arifureta Fandom Wikia ("Bureaucrat" & "Administrator")
Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchu Fandom Wikia ("Bureaucrat" & "Administrator")
Yu-Gi-Oh! Fandom Wikia ("Content Moderator")
Huh...? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-01-31, 16:45   Link #63
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huh...? View Post
They show it to be around the Victorian/Edwardian Era, depending on the fashion style, but the overall medical knowledge seems to be more advanced.
And, y'know...guns .
Old 2024-01-31, 16:50   Link #64
Rasty

Quote:
Wait, where did the Magic/Skills appear? I thought that there are no fantastic things except for Elise reincarnating back and forth.

Otherwise, I think it's a bit misleading to judge the era by what the nobility is wearing (they are bound to be old-fashioned). If we judge by technology it seems closer to the beginning of the 20th century.
Rasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-01-31, 17:05   Link #65
Huh...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
And, y'know...guns .
Yeah, in a way it's odd.
I mean, historically it isn't odd to showcase Guns like Revolver in this Era Setting.

But the issue is that, it was a random thug guy in the street who had it. I doubt street thugs in that era had access to guns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
Wait, where did the Magic/Skills appear? I thought that there are no fantastic things except for Elise reincarnating back and forth.
The item used by the Prince to change his appearance.
It was a circular with a gem inside, and glowed to allow the transformation.

Old 2024-02-01, 01:06   Link #66
Strahan

Yea it's a weird mix of modern and old. That revolver didn't look too old in design. As to his thinking, I'd assume he started with the knife to keep things quiet. Though given that he's facing two healthy looking guys, one with a sword at his hip, did seem like a bad idea to attack with a dagger lol
Strahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-01, 01:46   Link #67
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I don't think there's that much that's very old. Since the title is a reference to Florence Nightingale (the Lady with the Lamp), I think of it as ~mid 19th century with very rare magic and less rare anachronisms.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-02, 12:11   Link #68
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

How would you even power a defibrillator when there is no electricity? Did they have their Teslas and Edisons in 1850? I suppose lead-acid batteries would be possible, but wouldn't they have to be very big to deliver the kind of voltage required for a defibrillator?
Old 2024-02-02, 16:37   Link #69
Strahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I don't think there's that much that's very old. Since the title is a reference to Florence Nightingale (the Lady with the Lamp), I think of it as ~mid 19th century with very rare magic and less rare anachronisms.
Yea, it just seems to feel older; with the sword use, execution by burning at the stake and the manner of dress. It's funny, there is fire based lighting in most areas you see, even the ward where Elise is first assigned. I rewatched the surgery scenes, curious if they were gonna show oil lamps in the operating theater. If they have electric for a defibrillator, it'd be weird to not have electric lighting there. In the spleen operation, they actually focus entirely on the electric light heh. Also Graham has what appears to be an electric desk lamp in his office. The style of lamp doesn't track with what a candle based lamp would normally look like, and can't be oil as there is no reservoir. I actually still have and use an oil desk lamp

The sparse use of electric light makes sense if it's late 19th century, that tracks with our reality. Though our reality wasn't using defibrillators clinically until mid 20th. Of course, this isn't our reality so I guess worrying about it is meaningless lol
Strahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-02, 18:07   Link #70
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
How would you even power a defibrillator when there is no electricity? Did they have their Teslas and Edisons in 1850? I suppose lead-acid batteries would be possible, but wouldn't they have to be very big to deliver the kind of voltage required for a defibrillator?
Since they've already shown magic: You technically just need some crystal or whatever that can substitute for a battery and then have it struck by lightning.
Or they just turn it to an "internal" defibrillator.

Edit: note I should note that by that I meant literally sticking metal poles into them, not a medical heart monitoring device.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.

Last edited by AC-Phoenix; 2024-02-02 at 19:09.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-07, 10:04   Link #71
Frontier

So Elise's older brother Ren works with Linden! Though Linden is still feeling his health problems, but there's only one person he can think of to go to for treatment .

What are the chances that Viscount Ven would also be Elise's personal physician? Though she's acting so out-of-character from her old self that he totally dismisses the possibility that "Rose" could be Elise. I guess that's a compliment in some ways .

Well, figures they wouldn't immediately believe Elise performed the procedure, and her claims that she's just been mulling over complicated operations in her head isn't very believable either, but her reasoning and explanation are sound so they can't deny her .

Now Elise is a bit of a hot commodity that they immediately want at the Imperial Cross Hospital, which would be a very big deal, and Graham has plenty of nice things to say in praise of her skills and how she's worthy of this opportunity...but first she has to pass the physicians exam, and of course the Emperor has made it the hardest it's ever been as part of their wager .

The Empero's birthday was a major turning point in Elise's life as it was when her engagement to Linden was announced, but it just makes her reflect on the doomed love she had for him and how she never made him happy. And now her path will never cross the princes' again...oh, here's Ron !

Pretty surreal for Linden to get checked out and diagnosed by Elise, right down to her feeling his hands and neck to treat him, which flusters him more than her. If she'd known he was Linden though, I wonder if Elise would've been just a bit more hesitant to touch him? All the same though, she's able to successfully diagnose Linden and Linden uses the excuse of follow up to visit Elise more! He's even disappointed when they're all done with his treatment .

But now Linden is just visiting her as Ron in his free time! Even helping her clean! And what an intimate scene of her teaching him how to use a mop between the pair !

Well, I guess it makes sense that you'd go to Elise's brother for info on what to give her, but Ren can only tell her about her sweet tooth and love of jewelry...the latter of which doesn't hold any interest to the current Elise. But the sweets are still effective and it gives Linden an opportunity to take her out, so it all works out! Especially when he smiles his biggest smile and Elise seems to sense Linden is Ron .

I really don't like this attendant guy. He's always rude to everyone but the Emperor, and he seems to be deliberately trying to sabotage Elise's chances .

Last edited by Frontier; 2024-02-07 at 10:18.
Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-07, 11:01   Link #72
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I thought this the weakest episode so far. I'm hoping the Linden as Lord Ron business soon runs its course. Surprising that the king didn't mention his illness to one of the empire's top doctors, but maybe it's come up before. We haven't seen him be treated for his diabetes yet as far as I know.

Is Elise living at her parents home at this time?
Old 2024-02-07, 13:01   Link #73
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I thought this the weakest episode so far. I'm hoping the Linden as Lord Ron business soon runs its course. Surprising that the king didn't mention his illness to one of the empire's top doctors, but maybe it's come up before. We haven't seen him be treated for his diabetes yet as far as I know.

Is Elise living at her parents home at this time?
I assumed she was living at the hospital.
Old 2024-02-07, 15:19   Link #74
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I assumed she was living at the hospital.
That makes sense. Thanks.
Old 2024-02-08, 06:31   Link #75
zztop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Most Korean Rofans are anachronistic like this.

- The dresses and architecture are clearly meant to be 18-19th century Europe inspired,

- The structure of the army and governance is feudal medieval Europe (ex. knights and swordfighting),

- and court politics and intrigue are inspired by imperial Korea/historical Kdramas (emperors with harems/concubine consorts, ruthless power struggles, capital punishments, etc.)
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-08, 09:14   Link #76
Huh...?

What i really want to know is the circumstances behind Elise's execution.
I mean, why the heck was a the Queen/Empress punished like that by the King. Normally someone from the Royalty only gets punished when the,
- rule is taken over by someone else, or
- Royalty is question harms another Royalty, or
- they were working against the nation with enemy nation

Old 2024-02-08, 18:47   Link #77
Rasty

^ Adultery could also be grounds for execution. Death by burning was mostly reserved for witchcraft or heresy though and the ruler would have to be an idiot to give the church rights to execute his own wife no matter the cause.

In any case, I am also interested in what happened. I can't imagine a case where the King would continue to rule, but would gruesomely execute his wife in this way. In almost any reasonable case it would make much more sense for her to "become a nun" or if necessary "die of sudden illness" or "fall from stairs". Executing a royalty (not even speaking about a queen) is a straight way for you or your children to end the same way (since there would now be a precedent).
Rasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-08, 19:38   Link #78
Frontier

My understanding is she became a scapegoat for all the failures of the government and her own inability to rule and Linden blamed her for failing his father.
Old 2024-02-08, 22:08   Link #79
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
What i really want to know is the circumstances behind Elise's execution.
I mean, why the heck was a the Queen/Empress punished like that by the King. Normally someone from the Royalty only gets punished when the,
- rule is taken over by someone else, or
- Royalty is question harms another Royalty, or
- they were working against the nation with enemy nation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
^ Adultery could also be grounds for execution. Death by burning was mostly reserved for witchcraft or heresy though and the ruler would have to be an idiot to give the church rights to execute his own wife no matter the cause.
I literally just re-entered the thread to wonder about the same thing. Elise alone being blamed for everything seems really... Strange.

Especially since the first two episodes gave off the impression that the prince actually did like her (contrary to his words). I mean did he let her rule and not say a single word like the Emperor in Tearmoon Empire let his daughter run the show? (that is at least the impression I had there.)

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-09, 02:22   Link #80
Greenish Growth

I kind of got the impression that in the original timeline the Prince might have been neutral to marrying her because he just felt like he had to do it. He didn't dislike her enough to put up an objection. Perhaps later he grew to dislike her.

In the current timeline, he might have started off neutral like before, but is growing to like her. Unfortunately for him, she's uncomfortable around him when she sees him as the Prince.
Greenish Growth is offline   Reply With Quote