AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2003-11-14, 10:12   Link #1
Hindy83

Laws about BT

Does any one know the laws about sharing unlicensed anime through BT? Can you give me some type of reference to the actual text? My school is trying to crack down on BT and P2P file sharing because it is a violation of copy right laws. Adult swim is a farce of anime (with all the editing that they do) and it is soon going to be my only source if they have their way.
Old 2003-11-14, 10:17   Link #2
Esperchld
Photographer

The distribution of copyrited material (without permission) is illegal regardless of who owns the copyrite and what the material is. The shows that are fansubbed are copyrite the company that made the show. The distribution of these is illegal regardless the method. It just looks legal as people turn a blind eye to fansubbing. It can't be given legitimacy without giving it to bootlegs as well, and that is the problem.
Old 2003-11-14, 10:53   Link #3
Lambda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindy83
My school is trying to crack down on BT and P2P file sharing because it is a violation of copy right laws.
Filesharing is not a violation of copyright laws. Only when you share copyrighted information without the consent of the holder is there a violation. Bittorrent in particular is used to distribute many files perfectly legitimately, such as free software. KaZaa is one of the main publicity tools of the free music movement, again perfectly legitimately.
Old 2003-11-14, 10:59   Link #4
xris
Just call me Ojisan

You may want to look at the AnimeSuki Licensed Anime page as well as this thread from the old forum, Legal issues concerning fansubbing.

And to put it in context of unlicensed anime, it is a violation of copyright laws. So is illegal.
Old 2003-11-14, 14:38   Link #5
JAppi
Banned

Send a message via AIM to JAppi Send a message via MSN to JAppi Send a message via Yahoo to JAppi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambda
Filesharing is not a violation of copyright laws. Only when you share copyrighted information without the consent of the holder is there a violation. Bittorrent in particular is used to distribute many files perfectly legitimately, such as free software. KaZaa is one of the main publicity tools of the free music movement, again perfectly legitimately.
You are very misguided if you believe that p2p is not for illegal purposes. The orginal purpose of napster was to share music. The majority of music is illegal to share. People sharing their music on a p2p network will see little sucess. If the vast majority of filesharing is to share illegal files, Then why not shut it all down to begin with.

I'm sure Microlith will post something about damning licnesed anime leechers.
Old 2003-11-14, 15:39   Link #6
Hunter
Bubbly and super fun

Lambda said it all, even if almost all the user of this kind software use it to download illegal stuff, the software by itself isn't an illegal one.

Btw unlicensed or licensed anime are both illegal, the unlicensed fansub is tolerated, not legal.
Old 2003-11-14, 15:59   Link #7
aquilus
Dismember!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAppi
You are very misguided if you believe that p2p is not for illegal purposes. The orginal purpose of napster was to share music. The majority of music is illegal to share. People sharing their music on a p2p network will see little sucess. If the vast majority of filesharing is to share illegal files, Then why not shut it all down to begin with.
The content doesnīt really define the legality of its medium ... at least if one isnīt affected by ridiculous pieces of legislation. However, as the majority of stuff transferred thru p2p-apps like kazaa is copyrighted, yet distributed without permission, it makes sense for the school to "crack down" on such use of their network.
Old 2003-11-14, 16:08   Link #8
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

just use a computer at home and solve all your problems
Adult Swim isn't that bad, a lot of people working at CN LOVED FLCL so it turns out the editing job isn't as bad as some others (i think there's just a curse blip, some extra censory on Naota's dad, and the very end of ep. 6 is cut out for time's sake)
Old 2003-11-14, 16:19   Link #9
LuciaMelody

Send a message via AIM to LuciaMelody
As many said before the software is NOt illegal. Why? Because may be u want to make ur ..i dont know...graduation, or a song u wrote, into a BT file or P2P file and share it with others for whatever reasons.

Some of the files transfered are legal some are not. That is all.

Why would a school want to deal with this? May be Im not getting something....what, somebody scanned their homework on p2p and teachers are trying to stop them?
Old 2003-11-14, 17:38   Link #10
extarbags
Inactive Member

Schools are not responsible for what their students share. Most of the time schools crack down on file sharing apps, it's because they want to conserve bandwidth.
Old 2003-11-14, 18:08   Link #11
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by extarbags
Schools are not responsible for what their students share. Most of the time schools crack down on file sharing apps, it's because they want to conserve bandwidth.
Actually universities will get sued for what students do on their networks. This is because by sueing the students, they can't get much money out of them, they're poor college students. But, they can bring charges against the university or at least threaten to, which causes the university to act.
Old 2003-11-14, 18:33   Link #12
extarbags
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas
Actually universities will get sued for what students do on their networks. This is because by sueing the students, they can't get much money out of them, they're poor college students. But, they can bring charges against the university or at least threaten to, which causes the university to act.
That's very cute, and it makes sense that they'd go after someone with more money... it's a shame that they have no legal ground on which to do so.
Old 2003-11-14, 19:15   Link #13
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da

school computers are for school work. So whether it is legal or not is not their concern, you shouldn't be using it to download anime. Just like playing games on computers at school is frowned upon (unless you're the lab assistant )
Old 2003-11-14, 19:21   Link #14
extarbags
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterx
school computers are for school work. So whether it is legal or not is not their concern, you shouldn't be using it to download anime. Just like playing games on computers at school is frowned upon (unless you're the lab assistant )
I'm pretty sure this thread isn't about high shool, but about college networks. You lose.
Old 2003-11-14, 20:06   Link #15
method

This is one of the few times I have to agree with Lambda. P2p applications in themselves are not illegal well except for Kazaa lite. It's just that 95% of the material being transferred on them is copyrighted. For most schools it is easier just to block the ports that p2p applications use than try to sort out who is doing what and also protect themselves from being sued by the MPAA and RIAA. Well its either Adult Swim or buy your anime then.
Old 2003-11-14, 21:00   Link #16
extarbags
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by method
buy your anime then.
Oh, definitely. Nothing says "moral and legal" like buying bootlegged dvds of unlicensed anime that were pressed and sold by the Triad.
Old 2003-11-14, 21:09   Link #17
method

Of course, The Triad are just a fun loving group of individuals who reputation was ruined by the liberal media. What's wrong with going down to your local Suncoast or buying anime from places like bestprices.com or animenation.com?
Old 2003-11-14, 21:14   Link #18
Lambda

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAppi
You are very misguided if you believe that p2p is not for illegal purposes. The orginal purpose of napster was to share music.
The original purpose of bittorrent was to enable easy distribution of things such as linux ISOs. The original purpose of freenet was to establish an alternative to the internet in which privacy was virtually assured. Peer to peer is a far bigger concept than any particular purpose you might think for it, it is simply an alternative model for electronically distributing information to the client-server model, which has risen in those areas in which client-server is becoming inadequate. With the proliferation of broadband, I wouldn't be surprised if peer to peer ends up being the basis on which most of the internet runs eventually, once the necessary protocols become seamlessly and ubiquitously integrated into the necessary software.
Old 2003-11-14, 21:46   Link #19
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da

Quote:
Originally Posted by extarbags
I'm pretty sure this thread isn't about high shool, but about college networks. You lose.
are you pretty sure or you don't know? or maybe you can't read?

Quote:
My school is trying to crack down on BT and P2P file sharing because it is a violation of copy right laws
Old 2003-11-14, 22:23   Link #20
method

Well the poster said his age or if he was in college or not, so you can't say for certain what venue he is talking about. Judging by his username and assuming the normal tendencies of using your birth year I guess he is in college.
Closed Thread