AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-05-13, 14:11   Link #681
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Given the sales numbers some of KyoAni's hits have generated, I think both them and their partners probably worry about how many such hits the market can sustain at any given time.
I'm not quite following you here.

Besides, if 2011 proved anything, it was that the market can sustain a fair number of hits at any given time.

Spring 2011 had several anime titles crack 10K or more, and Fall 2011 also had several big hits. The domestic anime marketplace appears to be growing larger, if anything.

Quote:
As a general rule, the lapse between one Pony Canyon project to the next or one Kadokawa project to the next has been comparable to anyone else in the industry. So I'm inclined to see this squarely as a choice of project issue, largely on the Kadokawa side of the business.
Well, whatever the root cause is for my listed pros/cons, the effect is the same for the fan. My KyoAni and SHAFT comparison still stands.

Fact is, on the whole, I prefer the SHAFT approach.
Old 2012-05-13, 15:43   Link #682
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I'm not quite following you here.

Besides, if 2011 proved anything, it was that the market can sustain a fair number of hits at any given time.

Spring 2011 had several anime titles crack 10K or more, and Fall 2011 also had several big hits. The domestic anime marketplace appears to be growing larger, if anything.
Quite a few of KyoAni's shows have crack 20K. Some more than that. I'd be hard pressed to think of a studio that has simultaneously aired more than one 20K+ TV series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Well, whatever the root cause is for my listed pros/cons, the effect is the same for the fan. My KyoAni and SHAFT comparison still stands.

Fact is, on the whole, I prefer the SHAFT approach.
My point wasn't just root causes. It was that Kyoto/Pony Canyon and Kyoto/Kadokawa have very different records on completion and so I question a "KyoAni approach" to sequels.

Pony Canyon and Kyoto spent four years making nothing but Key based anime before they decided they wanted to try something else. Then spent another two and a half years making nothing but K-On stuff.

Kadokawa and Kyoto, on the other hand, seldom makes sequels even of high selling works.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 16:05   Link #683
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Full Metal Panic and Haruhi are the only two I can think of that were Kyoto and Kadokawa series that had sequels. Full Metal Panic: TSR was not fuctionally a sequel to Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu, but one to the GONZO aimated first series. Haruhi is Haruhi, and with the ways they tell things, it is hard to pin the title "sequel" on anything other than the movie. It actually is almost impossible to define exactly what Haruhi 2009 was.

But my contention in terms outside of DVD/BD sales is that Haruhi already sells. And while a new Haruhi series or film would almost certainly sell 20K+ in disks, the series itself doesn't need more animated to generate sales of other products, since people already buy those things. With a new show (Hyouka in this case), there is greater potental for profits throughout all Kadakawa's many branches. All sales will be new aside from some of the older book series fans. Given that the books are selling in the 20K+ region, that means a lot of profit on a 11 year old novel, plus the BD/DVDs, plus any other merchandizing they can come up with. That is a lot of money to come in, all while people are still buying Haruhi products at only a slightly lesser rate than if there was a show on the air. About the only sales projection that they lose on is potental BD/DVD sales of a new Haruhi anime, and I imagine they get more from the volume of sales of other products related to Hyouka than they lose by not making Haruhi for Disc sales. Because everything else Haruhi still sells.
Old 2012-05-13, 20:01   Link #684
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Since the recent discussion chain is focusing more on KyoAni/Kadokawa in general than on Anime DVD/BD Sales in Japan specifically, I'm replying to 0utf0xZer0 and Ithekro over here on the KyoAni Studio discussion thread. If anybody wants to continue that discussion, and/or read my reply, you can find it on that thread.
Old 2012-05-14, 09:08   Link #685
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
and yet Shaft is able to do all of the Montagari and has time to do their own stuff.
Really? Look @ what SHAFT have been doing lately, their schedule is becoming more KyoAni like than you would think.... though I guess that's what happens when you have two gold mines you have to pay attention to instead of taking on any work they can.

Winter - Nise
Spring - N/A
Summer - N/A
Fall - Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb, Madoka Movie 1 (and how much will be new animation?)

Kizu was pushed too 2013 as well... 2 TV series with one having 11 episodes in addition to a Movie that will mostly reuses scenes.. not exactly SHAFT like is it? They had 5 TV series in 2010... and 4 TV series and 2 OVAs in 2009. 3 TV series, 1 OVA and 1 Movie (if you want to call the Negima movie that lol) in 2011.

People forget that Movies aren't as "easily" made as TV series.... Kyoto Animation has been able to output a 2 cour series and a movie (Haruhi's being 3 hours long IIRC?) which is no small feat... with SHAFT working on Kizu and eventually Madoka Movie 3.. you'll see their output drop continue...
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-15, 11:57   Link #686
sa547
*Author

Just reading this now:
http://www27392u.sakura.ne.jp/index_news.cgi

Last edited by sa547; 2012-05-15 at 22:25. Reason: link only. if you know kanji, I'll leave someone to do the translating.
sa547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-15, 15:47   Link #687
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Just reading this now:
Looks like Stalker Points haven't changed all that much, but as a reminder, please try to translate the series names when referencing this data, as our Forum Rules do require that all communication be in English.
Old 2012-05-15, 22:43   Link #688
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
There's one thing that surprises me on that stalker points list,what the hell is Sengoku Collection doing so high on the DVD chart?If it sold I figured it'd be selling blu-rays,not dvds.
Old 2012-05-17, 05:51   Link #689
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Here's some interesting info regarding why a certain series may have been adapted.

Quote:
Hideki Takeuchi's live-action Thermae Romae film held the No. 1 spot during its second weekend. Based on Mari Yamazaki's manga, the story follows Roman architect Lucius Modestus (Hiroshi Abe), who designs bath-houses in ancient Rome. One day he's sucked into modern-day Japan. Able to travel back and forth in between worlds, Lucius uses Japanese ideas to improve the Roman baths he builds in the past. The film grossed US$6,835,550 on 304 screens for a total of US$27,758,574.
I guess the anime was a conduit for the movie, similar to how Kaiji S2 was. Both titles did weak sales as anime but did good numbers in live-action.

Also worth noting Space Bros live-action was #2 that week and pulled in around 5 million so far.
Old 2012-05-17, 09:23   Link #690
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

^ So that means that Space Brothers will soon be adopted into a live action movie?
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-17, 09:32   Link #691
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
^ So that means that Space Brothers will soon be adopted into a live action movie?
That movie is still out for viewing now.
Old 2012-05-17, 22:28   Link #692
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

anyone know how the first season of phi-brain sold?
Old 2012-05-19, 02:07   Link #693
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
anyone know how the first season of phi-brain sold?
I'd like to know as well,though my guess is sales are really low since it seems to never show up on any charts.
Though it being a daytime nhk-e show I'm guessing sales weren't the priority.
Old 2012-05-23, 03:34   Link #694
Ushio the Omega

I know that anime doesn't really have a "long tail" but this is ridiculous. The week ending 20th May the 9th best selling Blu-ray sold 196 copies that's nothing! (the 10th best selling Blu-ray was 180 but not an anime). The week ending 13th May the 50th best selling Blu-ray was 241 copies.

First week sales seem to becoming more important every time I look at sales data and that's not a good thing, I can't help wondering if because the first volume of an anime sells badly shops in Japan chose to decline to stock later volumes removing the ability of shows to grow.

Oh right links
2012 05/07~05/13 Full / Translated List
http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthrea...109291&page=65

2012 05/14~05/20 Anime 30/10 List
http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthrea...109291&page=70
Ushio the Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-23, 16:15   Link #695
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ushio the Omega View Post
I know that anime doesn't really have a "long tail" but this is ridiculous. The week ending 20th May the 9th best selling Blu-ray sold 196 copies that's nothing! (the 10th best selling Blu-ray was 180 but not an anime). The week ending 13th May the 50th best selling Blu-ray was 241 copies.

First week sales seem to becoming more important every time I look at sales data and that's not a good thing, I can't help wondering if because the first volume of an anime sells badly shops in Japan chose to decline to stock later volumes removing the ability of shows to grow.
I don't know that it's good or bad. It's because a lot of retail stores have bonus items if you pre-order or order the whole set of discs at once, and those all count as day-one sales for each volume. Almost all anime is also sold as Limited Editions, and some have first pressing bonuses, so that's further motivation to pre-order.

Keep in mind that, at these prices, this isn't exactly an "impulse buy" item. If people were interested in checking out the show, they'd check it out online or rent it rather than buy any Blu-Rays or DVDs. Shows do continue to sell in small quantities over the long term, but it's a very slow trickle after the initial rush. If the producers are counting on the show to grow beyond that initial rush (for example, if another season is announced), they may re-release the show in a boxset or some other format to catch people who missed it the first time around.

The other thing to keep in mind is the used market. If you're going to buy a show after the initial release and already missed out on the bonuses, why not buy a used copy for a fraction of the price? You can often find used items that are in almost-pristine shape. None of these "re-sales" count either.

With so many shows produced each season, the market is very cyclical. With so many SKUs released, I'm not sure how feasible it is to expect that regular stores will keep a huge inventory, but this is why you can buy online. And of course, I'm sure they do order less of subsequent volumes if the first didn't sell, but the distributors also produce less in that case too. They don't want to have mountains of surplus inventory.
Old 2012-05-24, 03:39   Link #696
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Btw what's up with amazon.jp problem with Aniplex title? Its not gonna get solved?
Old 2012-05-24, 16:08   Link #697
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
Btw what's up with amazon.jp problem with Aniplex title? Its not gonna get solved?
Not any time soon, it seems. You can read the thread about it over on the former Anime on DVD forums, but the crux of it is that they appear to be having a contract dispute. Aniplex insists that they are continuing to make their shows available to all retailers, but obviously there's some sort of string attached that Amazon can't agree to. The most likely issue is Amazon's habit of discounting Blu-Rays below cost to bring people in the door (with some Aniplex shows having been discounted on pre-orders by as much as 31+%), which pisses off all the other local retailers that can't afford to take that sort of hit. It's possible that Aniplex may have imposed some sort of condition on the sale price (sort of a Minimum Guaranteed Price), which Amazon refused to agree to. So right now, Aniplex is taking a hit by their shows not being available on Amazon, and Amazon is similarly taking a hit by not selling these particular shows (which means shoppers are going elsewhere). This is basically a battle of wills to see who will be the first to crack, but based on the two players being Amazon and (essentially) Sony, it's hard to place bets. At this point, Aniplex's best hope would be if other groups take up their cause... but that'd mean taking a short-term hit for uncertain gain. We'll see what happens...
Old 2012-05-24, 17:23   Link #698
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

^ IMO On the long run sony is bound to fail since not everybody lives near Akihabara.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-25, 02:59   Link #699
cyth
Banned

Well, isn't it a sort of a power struggle, to establish who has most power? TBQH, Amazon can handle the loss. Not sure if Aniplex can.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-25, 17:29   Link #700
bahamut zero
miragecoordinator

Yikes, Fate/Zero Box 2 will be even more expsensive without the amazon discount ;__;

Tags
sales, statistics