AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2006-01-27, 01:34   Link #1
sixtydeuce
助けて!

Making video clip from a still image

Hi. Does anybody know how to make a video from a still image? For example if you had a jpeg with the credits for your episode, and you would want it to play for 10 seconds before the episode starts. Any help is greatly apprieciated!
sixtydeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-27, 13:37   Link #2
frad113

Send a message via AIM to frad113
Make 240 JPEGs (10 sec x 24 fps) and encode an AVI from that?
frad113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-27, 14:16   Link #3
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtydeuce
Hi. Does anybody know how to make a video from a still image? For example if you had a jpeg with the credits for your episode, and you would want it to play for 10 seconds before the episode starts. Any help is greatly apprieciated!
It's pretty easy. Just tell the editing program you're using to hold on the still image for 10 seconds and then dissolve or cut to black (or the program).

Example (note: I'm using a consumer grade toy like ImageReady just to illustrate my point, but any professional or semi professional editing program functions the same way.)

Here are your three frames for the animation: Black -> JPEG For Credits -> Black

Add time delays to your black and the image you want to roll credits on:

Add your credits on top of your image (if they aren't already there) and render the animation to whatever file type you need. I'm using GIF for the sake of this demonstration:

And you're done. You can also add a fade-up and fade-out to it to spiff it up a bit:

Hope that helps. Cheers.
Catgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-27, 14:18   Link #4
Nicholi
King of Hosers

I think I understand what you mean. Simple command using AviSynth, which you are hopefully already using. At the end of your AVS it would go something like this...

Code:
AssumeFPS(23.976)
Final = last

ImageSource("C:\nifty_picture_with_credits.jpg",end=250,fps=23.976).ConvertToYV12()+Final.Trim(250,0)
The 'end' parameter determines how many frames the image should be reused, thus it is repeated until frame 250 (which in total is 251 frames because you count frames starting at 0) which at 23.976 fps (the framerate of most typical shows) is approximately 10.4 seconds. Depending on the framerate of your video source you will need to change the 'end' and 'fps' parameter accordingly. The AssumeFPS at the beginning is just to be sure everything is in order, it also would need to be changed to whatever the fps of your source is. And this will simply replace the first 251 frames of your video with that picture, thus no problems with audio sync etc.
Nicholi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-28, 01:54   Link #5
sixtydeuce
助けて!

Thanks, it worked! But there's one problem. I can't add it to my episode! I tried changing the frame rates in virtualdub, but it still won't let me! Is there any way to merge them? I tried the splice in avisynth but had the same problem.
Old 2006-01-28, 12:19   Link #6
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Well let me show you a more complete AVS as maybe you did it incorrectly.

Code:
AVISource("C:\My_little_AVI.avi")

#All of your lovely filtering goes here

#this goes at the very last part of the AVS
AssumeFPS(23.976)
Final = last

ImageSource("C:\nifty_picture_with_credits.jpg",end=250,fps=23.976).ConvertToYV12()+Final.Trim(250,0)
You should not need to change anything at all in VirtualDub. First though you need to know the framerate of your video source. If it is not 23.976 you cannot just change it to 23.976 to make this work, you screw up the audio sync with the video completely. You change the AVS to match the framerate of your video. Sometimes you will find that the video declares it is 23.978 or some other weird number tht is very close to 23.976, which would be fine to just force it to 23.976 then, otherwise it should be changed to whatever the framerate of the video is. Then it will work.
Old 2006-01-28, 14:45   Link #7
sixtydeuce
助けて!

Nicholi that's what I did. I looked at gspot to see what the frame rate is and it was 23.976. I then created a new a new script for good measure:

avisource("c:\ep18.avi")
AssumeFPS(23.976)
Final = last
ImageSource("C:\splash18.jpg",end=250,fps=23.976). ConvertToYV12()+Final.Trim(250,0)

And now I get virtualdub saying that it can't splice because one clip has audio and the other does not!
Old 2006-01-28, 14:56   Link #8
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Most of the time, doing audio in avisynth is not the best of ideas... but, well, if you want to do that, you need to do something like this:

Code:
original = avisource("c:\ep18.avi")
original.killaudio()
AssumeFPS(23.976)
Final = last
ImageSource("C:\splash18.jpg",end=250,fps=23.976).ConvertToYV12()+Final.Trim(250,0)
audiodub(last, original)
(By the way, Nicholi, I think you don't need that "Final" variable - it should be fine to do:
Code:
AssumeFPS(23.976)
ImageSource("C:\splash18.jpg",end=250,fps=23.976).ConvertToYV12()+last.Trim(250,0)
IIRC, since the result of the line doesn't get assigned to last before it's all evaluated.)
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-28, 15:25   Link #9
sixtydeuce
助けて!

Thanks Thefluff! I tried what you said, but now it vd says frame sizes don't match. I can create a clip with Nicholi's script if I change the trim 250,0 to trim 0,250. But vd won't let me append the clip with my finished episode. I would like to attach this "splash" at the beginning of my episode as one avi to distribute it on the web. It just seems more complicated that it should be.
Old 2006-01-28, 16:07   Link #10
Eeknay
Gendo died for your sins.
*Fansubber

Your image has to have the same resolution of the video file you're trying to attach it to. So if your encoded file is 640x480, your image file *has* to be 640x480, otherwise as you've discovered you'll get an error. Fairly easy to correct, just resize or crop the necessary parts in your image applicaton of choice, then try again.
Eeknay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-28, 17:14   Link #11
sixtydeuce
助けて!

Thanks Eeknay! You know I forgot to resize after I cropped! But now when I load it in vd, it plays the first 250 frames and stops. With the audio of my episode playing in the background. I want it to play the "splash" silently, then have the episode start. Should I start this from scratch when I clean up my raw etc, or can I just append it to my complete episode?
Old 2006-01-28, 21:39   Link #12
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Ah, so you wanted it silent in the beginning? No problem, that is doable with some more AVS magic:
Code:
avisource("c:\ep18.avi")
AssumeFPS(23.976)
episode = last
ImageSource("C:\splash18.jpg",end=250,fps=23.976).ConvertToYV12()
audiodub(last, blankclip(episode,length=250))
last++episode
Note: the ++ is NOT a typo, it really should be ++. + is unaligned splice (doesn't sync audio), ++ is aligned splice (does sync audio).
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-29, 00:10   Link #13
sixtydeuce
助けて!

Thank you so much TheFluff!! どうもありがとうございます!! You made my day!!
Old 2006-01-29, 08:05   Link #14
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Ahh yes I totally forgot to mention the resolution of the image matters to, which is why it was bugging you. Also my method meant to simply add the image into the first 10 seconds of the current video, while TheFluff's actually made the video 10 seconds longer. Not that either really makes much of a difference unless you don't have 10 seconds of blank/silent space at the beginning of the video, my mistake.