AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-04-23, 13:38   Link #881
chrno

Send a message via AIM to chrno
Quote:
Originally Posted by [DOT].L View Post
Well, according to the Japanese Wiki article (which has consistently been a much more reliable source for anime info than the English wiki) the official name of the "Church of Violence" is Rip-off Church (リップオフ教会). I've always thought the name "Church of Violence" is too literal (and maybe too "formal," as well) of a translation. Frankly, I'm pretty happy with the adaptation.
Ah, so that's it. Didn't catch that. I guess the only reason why someone put in 'Church of Violence' was because of all that "heat" they are packing and selling.

"I'm afraid 400 years won't cover me."
chrno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 15:14   Link #882
[DOT].L
Delightfully lost...
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrno View Post
Ah, so that's it. Didn't catch that. I guess the only reason why someone put in 'Church of Violence' was because of all that "heat" they are packing and selling.
Revy does actually call the church "暴力教会" (literally, "the church of violence") throughout the story. I believe Dutch has also refered to it as such. The official name is probably on some back page of the manga that most people missed.
[DOT].L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 21:39   Link #883
Antonik

Damn this is the only thing that made me want to smoke, not even peer pressure did such a great job at making smoking cool. Fantastic series though. Were the twins both female or male? and will Rock ever get any action ( with Revi and with guns)? Guess we'll never know.
Antonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 21:41   Link #884
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Well the manga is till going so who knows, maybe a new season. And if Rock or Revy does not get killed, I am guessing yes, he will eventually get action with her.

OR he gets action with her and she is killed. Then that would be time for action with a weapon.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 21:56   Link #885
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

I could have sworn the last episode of the series implies that they slept together...When the nun asks Revy about it and she coyly says "I don't wanna talk about it.." and the nun proceeds to laff and give her a hard time...ObviouslyI'm basing this purley on the anime...An Anime that was good, but far from great if I'm being honest...

And yes that's most likely a rose that I'm hoping someone will prick their finger on^^...
Old 2007-04-23, 22:09   Link #886
kujoe
from head to heel

Well, that scene is pretty much left the same way even in the manga, so you're really just left with your own imagination as to what Revy is possibly talking about. My guess? She probably made or wanted to make a move but doesn't know how to, or perhaps she wanted Rock to make one. But nothing happens due to the mess they had to go through in Japan—which is why she's so pissed. Or maybe, she just got shy and embarrassed when Eda asks such a question to her.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 22:17   Link #887
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Eh, I think she was pissed that they didn't have sex. Also do you remember her leg? I don't think they coulda done anything with that. Also, I am not sure if Rock realizes that Revy wants him. I mean she has been nice but she has also been a a bitch, but there are a few things he shoulda picked up.

First was the oddly arousing cigarette kiss.

Then the fact that she said she would not pull a gun on Hotel Moscow for anyone.

She wants him, not sure if he knows it.
Old 2007-04-23, 23:39   Link #888
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Now I just watched the final ep Saturday, and I still think the implication of the final ep says they did it...The final scene of Rock is that of a man who has grown up and then he has the Miami Vice cool smoke-scene as he fades into final episode oblivion (cigarette after sex anyone?)...Then we have Revy and the nun with Revy blushing and the nun seemingly teasing her in a way that suggests she always treats her this way when it comes to her "doing it"...Based on as much anime I've watched, for this to happen in a FINAL EPISODE seems to be a shout-out to the fans...Revy IMO didn't seem frustrated in her mannerisms, but more embarrassed...Atleast that's how I saw it...
Old 2007-04-23, 23:44   Link #889
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Eda has no doubts about who she thinks Revy wants. Revy's pissed at both Rock and Eda. At Rock, for not showing any interest in sleeping with her, and at Eda because she saw the source of Revy's frustrations right away.

Edit:
wingdarkness posted while I was writing

I think whatever maturation Rock displays on the Lagoon at the end has much more to do with the picture he received from Balalaika than it does with Revy. Both Benny and Rock are talking themselves into appreciating the lives they've chosen to live knowing how dark those lives truly are. One aspect of Black Lagoon I've enjoyed from the outset is when the characters reflect on who they've become and why. It's those moments that add the necessary humanism to keep Black Lagoon from being simply an orgy of mindless violence.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-24, 00:12   Link #890
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

^Well my point is strictly superficial and aesthetic...I won't argue Rock's maturity in regards to the picture (I honestly don't care much), I'm simply stating the atmosphere, the climate, and the expression of the last scene (which appears after the credits), says to me it was done to throw the anime-veiwers a bone (heh, so to speak^^)..

Unlike most of the hardcore manga-heads Lagoon ends for many of us with that final scene (and my opinion hasn't changed of that scene)...One reason I was dissapointed with Black Lagoon was that by the end of the series I didn't care what happened to the characters..Don't get me wrong, the stylish action and shocking gore was fun, but I thought the anime on-whole was devoid of any true-focus and frustrated me with it's indulgence...Unlike the series' that logo appears in it's credits (Cowboy bebop) Black Lagoon isn't half as creative or artistic when it comes to genre-breaking (I guess it's my fault for thinking it would be based on that connection)...Overall I enjoyed it for what it was worth (The first half prolly more than the second half before Dutch and Benny were just tossed out of the series like trash)..I'll always love that smoke-kiss ep when Rock tells Revy off and the crazy maid ep which was hilarous and awesome, but in the end it just felt like another series to me...

On to the next...
Old 2007-04-24, 08:31   Link #891
Biswa

Hmm i'm putting some hopes on the English dub, just because the nature of the show is much more toned for the english language. Especially because everyone is SUPPOSED to be speaking english (and the assumption is that we are only hearing it Japanese). I just wish that when they get to Japan in the show, that they'll find a guy with a similar voice who can speak Japanese. Like during the translation scenes with Balalaika and Rock, Rock can speak Japanese quietly, while Balalaika speaks (good) English.
Biswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-24, 09:07   Link #892
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biswa View Post
Hmm i'm putting some hopes on the English dub, just because the nature of the show is much more toned for the english language. Especially because everyone is SUPPOSED to be speaking english (and the assumption is that we are only hearing it Japanese). I just wish that when they get to Japan in the show, that they'll find a guy with a similar voice who can speak Japanese. Like during the translation scenes with Balalaika and Rock, Rock can speak Japanese quietly, while Balalaika speaks (good) English.
Actually, I was hoping that with the 2nd Barrage Japan arc, that the Region 1 DVD might offer a special service; besides the "English Dub" and "Original Japanese language" options, they can offer a "Multilingual option".

Essentially, a little work and sound editing can ensure that the entire Japan arc involves everyone speaking the language they are suppose to speak, with Rock and Balalaika using both the English and Japanese voice talents.

...I know, it's extra work that they don't have to do. But I can dream, right?
Old 2007-04-24, 10:47   Link #893
Antonik

Is there any actual word that the anime might continue? was it popular in japan? Hows the manga doing.
Antonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-24, 13:15   Link #894
TigerII
Pilot in Training

No word on a season three. Not sure how the Japanese felt about it.
Old 2007-04-24, 13:20   Link #895
ShadowClone
Genin Featherweight

Send a message via ICQ to ShadowClone Send a message via Yahoo to ShadowClone
If there ever was a "what you would NEVER see in Black Lagoon" thread, then this picture should say it all!

Giving a new meaning to...
ShadowClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-26, 03:11   Link #896
kujoe
from head to heel

Nah, we expected it!
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-26, 08:41   Link #897
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

That was my wallpaper for a long time last year
Considering the omake the manga has, you can expect all sorts of crazy out stuff XD

Highly recommend anime fan of this series to get the manga.
Old 2007-04-26, 21:26   Link #898
Sturmwehr

I'm disappointed to see the Black Lagoon DVD Volume 1 only contains the first 4 episodes (link). I was sort of hoping for the entire first season. Oh, well, it'll still be nice to have it dubbed on DVD at least.
Sturmwehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-26, 21:31   Link #899
TigerII
Pilot in Training

But that does not make as much money! Why I really hate buying DVDs. They rip you off bad. Twenty-Thirty bucks for 4 or 5 episodes.
Old 2007-04-26, 21:34   Link #900
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturmwehr View Post
I'm disappointed to see the Black Lagoon DVD Volume 1 only contains the first 4 episodes (link). I was sort of hoping for the entire first season. Oh, well, it'll still be nice to have it dubbed on DVD at least.
!!!
Are you nuts? Region 1 DVD aren't some Cinese bootleg. How can you squeeze a dozen episodes into 1 DVD without massive quality loss!

4 episodes a disk is considered VERY acceptable for anime DVDs. I don't know what standards you are upholding...

Tags
action, crime, madhouse, seinen