Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-04, 07:35   Link #1
Rab
UG'er

Send a message via MSN to Rab
A mystery, game, horror, psychological kinda anime...?

Umineko no Naku Koro ni gives me that impression, it's something that's got me hooked already just from watching the first episode. Similar with the Higurashi series in a sense.

I'm looking for something that shares the same sorta plot as Umineko no Naku Koro ni, but its got to be a completed series. Something like a corrupted, wealthy family eliminate each other for the family fortune or a kingdom with a lodda successors for the crown and their attempts at killing each other off. I'd like it to be tragedy to watch, maybe involve a dark romance also. But, mystery, game, horror and a psychological element are the top priorities here.
Old 2009-07-04, 07:55   Link #2
Saleh
Inactive

Code Geass
Death Note[
Old 2009-07-04, 08:04   Link #3
Rab
UG'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleh View Post
Code Geass has mystery, game and psychological elements. The protagonist and antigonist treat humans like chess pieces and are from noble blood.
Seen both seasons of Code Geass already. Both were awesome to watch. Unfortunately that's not what I'm after here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umineko_no_Naku_Koro_ni the link here should give better insight.
Old 2009-07-04, 08:40   Link #4
Saleh
Inactive

Basilisk, a mystery/action series, has a concept of eleminating members of rival clan as a part of game to decide successor of Emperor of japan but it doesn't have ample horror or psychological element to meet your criteria.
Old 2009-07-04, 09:16   Link #5
Rab
UG'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleh View Post
Basilisk, a mystery/action series, has a concept of eleminating members of rival clan as a part of game to decide successor of Emperor of japan but it doesn't have ample horror or psychological element to meet your criteria.
Seen that also.
Old 2009-07-04, 09:27   Link #6
Grif

only one episode is out, but perhaps you should check out Denpa teki no Kanoko

also perhaps chaos;head. But i found the anime version to be fairly average.

Neither have the "game" part if i am understanding you correctly, but are fairly good.

eden of the east might also be for you. but that is your specs take away "horror"
Old 2009-07-04, 09:41   Link #7
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Jigoku shoujo, along with futakomori and mitsuganae, it starts off as one-episode mysteries and later on starts a main plot, was pretty mysterious.
Old 2009-07-04, 09:49   Link #8
Saleh
Inactive

Can you post the series you have already watched?

In Fate Stay/Night, another series based on visual novel, seven magi participate in holy grail war in which they have to eliminate each other's servant (or masters) in order to win. It lacks in horror and psychological elements.

Kaiji and Live-action Liar game are based on similar concept of aquisition of money through deception. Both are thriller/mystery/game series but do not contain horror and iirc no one dies.

Monster meets your criteria by genre but since I haven't seen it I don't know.
Spoiler for Synopsis for Monster, courtesy of MyAnimeList:
Old 2009-07-04, 10:21   Link #9
cerrian

For something that gives off a similar feeling as Umineko you might want to check out Kaze no Yojimbo. Does it have a similar plot line as Umineko? Not really, but then again it sound like mystery, horror, and psychological plot lines are what you're truly after. If that's the case the Kaze no Yojimbo would be a good fit as it has that kind of aura.
Old 2009-07-04, 20:34   Link #10
Arkuatic

Not sure if you're fond of Manga but Liar game is DEFINITELY down your lane. An ex con who scammed and entire enterprise down to bankruptcy for revenge helps a girl who entangles herself innocently into the "Liar game." A game of wits with trust and betrayal as the backbone and twists and turns.

Also if it helps the con looks like a mixture between Yagami light and L.
Old 2009-07-05, 00:31   Link #11
qwertyuiopz

ghost hunt...more psychological than horror though
Old 2009-07-05, 01:09   Link #12
Marion
The Great Dine

Well in the manga section Doubt is a short manga with similar elements to Umineko. Basically they're trying to discover who the 'wolf' is before they all get killed off.

Tsukihime isn't as much of a mystery as it is horror, but it still has a good story. It's also in anime form, but it's a little short at about 12 episodes.
Old 2009-07-05, 14:01   Link #13
Albafica
Pisces no saint

Monster is the best anime I ever saw in my life! I try to find another show like that (thriller with mature design) but it doesn't exist. Perhaps with an adaptation of 20th century boys or Pluto...