Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-14, 00:49   Link #1
ashesatdusk

Send a message via AIM to ashesatdusk
Manga/Anime about Dance

I'm wondering if there are any anime/manga about street dances in particular.
Old 2009-08-14, 01:00   Link #2
Saber Cherry
Marionette

There's Princess Tutu, supposed to be excellent (about ballet). I have no idea what street dances are, but dance is pretty rare in anime. American 1930's movies and Indian modern movies are probably better bets
Old 2009-08-14, 03:22   Link #3
npcomplete

Been curious myself. Haven't seen anything featuring street dancing, or any modern pop culture dance aside from the bits in Lucky Star

I'm guessing you mean something like K-On except with a dance club instead?
Old 2009-08-14, 05:14   Link #4
Arkuatic

The closest you're gonna get to street dancing is the swordsmanship of Mugen from Samurai champloo, his combat style resembles much of modern street dancing.
Old 2009-08-15, 00:53   Link #5
ashesatdusk

Quote:
I have no idea what street dances are, but dance is pretty rare in anime.
Street dance is like Popping and associated (waving, tutting, ticking, botting, strobing) , Locking, Street Jazz, Bboy (commonly known as break dance), housing, hip-hop. It actually really surprises me, that dance is pretty rare. Japan is the largest dance center outside of the U.S. in the world, and half the best dancers in these styles are from japan. Not to mention some of the largest dance competitions take place in Japan. It boggles my mind that they have manga about american foot ball, but nothing about street dance.

Quote:
I'm guessing you mean something like K-On except with a dance club instead?
I've never seen K-On. So I wouldn't know. I guess anything that centers around a modern popular dance style.

Last edited by ashesatdusk; 2009-08-15 at 01:06.
Old 2009-08-15, 01:56   Link #6
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

I don't think there are any anime about modern dance. There's princess tutu as mentioned for classical, and I might even suggest Rideback for, uh, mecha ballet, but the most modern and 'street' thing I can think of in anime is Air Gear with the street skating.

I imagine it's simply much too difficult to animate modern dancing with any kind of accuracy without a huge budget.
Old 2009-08-15, 02:54   Link #7
Saber Cherry
Marionette

Super Gals! Kotobuki Ran has a few spontaneous para para dance scenes scattered through the episodes, but that's not really the focus. I thought it was pretty good.
Old 2009-08-17, 11:15   Link #8
sothis

ah ha!! i finally found it!

i've read so many shoujo/romance manga (especially one shots) that this was hard to track down; luckily i've started taking notes on each one i've seen, knowing that unless i did that it would be impossible to find later.

99% Love - a brief one shot manga about a girl with a street dancing bf who hasn't kissed her yet after a long time of dating. sounds cheesy (well, it is), but is still cute and worth a quick read.
Old 2009-08-19, 14:54   Link #9
ashesatdusk

thanks for the find.

Quote:
imagine it's simply much too difficult to animate modern dancing with any kind of accuracy without a huge budget.
Thats a good point. It may also just be a matter of the fact that its also to much of a cultish thing to begin with (anywhere).
Old 2010-05-26, 03:40   Link #10
Prcsholl

a good street dancing manga is 23:00
Old 2011-02-21, 12:18   Link #11
joannie

Well there's this manga....

It's really about ballet but then it also has many other features that's about street dancing. There was this short chapter where she gave up to ballet and went to hip hop. And she was fairly good at it. Dance! Subaru was a really good manga. I loved it. I rarely cried so it was also very nice. It was disturbing sometimes but the author described everything so well.

And I don't usually register to post something so this is very special. I don't know why you guys didn't already mention this before.

Quote:
99% Love - a brief one shot manga about a girl with a street dancing bf who hasn't kissed her yet after a long time of dating. sounds cheesy (well, it is), but is still cute and worth a quick read.
I don't remember the title but there was something like this manga before. And the pictures looks really similar. I think it was about fashion designing?

Anyway If you like Dance! Subaru there's another series about when she accomplished all her goals on this series; it moved onto a different series called MOON—SUBARU SOLITUDE STANDING. And in this series it also has romances in too which made it more cuter :3
Closed Thread