AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-09-11, 15:23   Link #1141
blackwhite67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaticAxiom View Post
I can't say for sure, but from what I remember, it seemed like he caught them by decomposing their motion vector. Remember, his decomposition doesn't work against just magic but solid objects, and unlike many magicians, I believe he can use partial decomposition due to his unique skills (though I'm not sure if this is anything like Kichijouji's Basic Code deal). That was my take on it, at least. I believe that portion was somewhat difficult to read. Actually, that scene was the first of MKnR I ever read, so I wasn't really good at interpreting the machine translations. Also, there was little extra detail to help me infer what may have happened.
He can decompose things like vectors? That opens up new possibilities.
Old 2012-09-11, 15:50   Link #1142
Awrya
U mad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaticAxiom View Post
I can't say for sure, but from what I remember, it seemed like he caught them by decomposing their motion vector. Remember, his decomposition doesn't work against just magic but solid objects, and unlike many magicians, I believe he can use partial decomposition due to his unique skills (though I'm not sure if this is anything like Kichijouji's Basic Code deal). That was my take on it, at least. I believe that portion was somewhat difficult to read. Actually, that scene was the first of MKnR I ever read, so I wasn't really good at interpreting the machine translations. Also, there was little extra detail to help me infer what may have happened.
The first thing that came to mind was that Tatsuya might be a good match-up with Accelerator

My sources of information are your summaries, but in web arc 1 you mentioned what happens when using decomposition magic on solid objects
Spoiler:

So maybe he used strong deceleration magic instead?
Old 2012-09-11, 16:01   Link #1143
blackwhite67
Banned

There's no way he can cast a magic like that faster than a bullet.

Maybe he just decomposed the bullets completely and regenerated them in his hand. I remember him doing something like that with the bullets he used to destroy the Chinese fleet in Arc 4.
Old 2012-09-11, 16:49   Link #1144
whsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwhite67 View Post
There's no way he can cast a magic like that faster than a bullet.

Maybe he just decomposed the bullets completely and regenerated them in his hand. I remember him doing something like that with the bullets he used to destroy the Chinese fleet in Arc 4.
You seem to forget that decomposition is an innate magic for him. He can activate it faster than the blink of an eye since the magic is seemingly "wired" to his brain. If he wanted to, he most definitely could decompose a bullet in flight. When he used restoration (his other innate magic) in the School Tournament Arc, he was able to activate it so fast that no one was able to even notice it. Remember, the audience include thousands of students and there were a handful of elite experts. Even the two undercover soldiers didn't catch the magic and wouldn't have known it activated if they didn't know about Tatsuya's ability beforehand. Even a person with a trained eye such as Kazuto's couldn't explain what happened.
Old 2012-09-11, 18:05   Link #1145
blackwhite67
Banned

No no whsie. I was referring to Awrya's suggestion that he used deceleration magic on the bullets. Even if deceleration was less than five steps, he wouldn't use flash cast in front of everyone like that.
Old 2012-09-12, 02:22   Link #1146
Flere821
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwhite67 View Post
No no whsie. I was referring to Awrya's suggestion that he used deceleration magic on the bullets. Even if deceleration was less than five steps, he wouldn't use flash cast in front of everyone like that.
Spoiler for Flash Cast and Mist Dispersion in front of others:
Old 2012-09-12, 03:35   Link #1147
whsie

While his innate magic is a secret, it doesn't matter if no one noticed it. As mentioned, he used those magic in front of people several times, but the audience could never understand exactly what happened.
Old 2012-09-12, 04:18   Link #1148
xBakaChanx
Kotori!Kotori!Kotori!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsie View Post
While his innate magic is a secret, it doesn't matter if no one noticed it. As mentioned, he used those magic in front of people several times, but the audience could never understand exactly what happened.
Spoiler for LN:
Old 2012-09-12, 06:01   Link #1149
EnigmaticAxiom

Did he use Mist Dispersion on his hand? I suppose he did use human decomposition, but I thought MD was referring to more of a pin-point thing rather than human decomposition as a whole. Trident is also human decomposition, after all.

Also, whsie, I don't think he would take the risk if he could avoid it. He will use his restricted magic, but only when he has no other choice to achieve what he wants/must and he can cover it up. He used flash cast against Crimson because it was necessary for victory and he could disguise it with the extremely basic Vibration Magic (I think that's what it was. Too lazy to check). I just don't think he would take the risk otherwise (as in, he could kill the soldier without using Flash Cast).

As for Regrowth, he has no choice. It's entirely subconscious unless he stops it. I gave the number as 0.2 (since that's roughly how the math worked out), but it's probably activated in a much shorter time period, since a lot of that 0.2 second time period is spent reading the Eidos. I would say the casting is actually near instantaneous without that reading period, which is why the two soldiers didn't feel a flow of magic.
Old 2012-09-12, 06:21   Link #1150
Sixth
Hu Tao

Ummm...how old is the MC? I read some info from the wiki, and it stated that he is freaking captain of some assassin group, and a leader of some kind of research technology center under the codename "Silver".

What the hell?
Old 2012-09-12, 06:26   Link #1151
Seitsuki
Onee!

16 at the start of the story. Yeah, he's just that good.

Which means there's only one person good enough to match him. Also conveniently currently the closest person to him. Sec, gotta wipe my nose.
Old 2012-09-12, 06:28   Link #1152
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
16 at the start of the story.

Yeah, he's just that good.
So, is it OK for me to label him as "Gary Stu"?
Old 2012-09-12, 06:33   Link #1153
Seitsuki
Onee!

I suppose there are elements of that. However I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing. The '(tragic) flawed hero' trope is just as bad. His character does get expounded on extensively later. It's also far more entertaining to read this way. As long as you don't say a word concerning Her Highness, all's fair.
Old 2012-09-12, 09:19   Link #1154
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobita View Post
So, is it OK for me to label him as "Gary Stu"?
Power-level wise? Definitely yes. Still not sure it's the right label for him though cause he's still super flawed.. He has no strong emotions so he's almost always composed.. but he can't even get properly aroused..

I'm not sure anyone that has any real interest in the opposite gender would ever think of being him as "wish fulfillment" -- this is also bad news for all the people shipping Tatsuya x Anyone.
Old 2012-09-12, 18:36   Link #1155
xBakaChanx
Kotori!Kotori!Kotori!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobita View Post
Ummm...how old is the MC? I read some info from the wiki, and it stated that he is freaking captain of some assassin group, and a leader of some kind of research technology center under the codename "Silver".

What the hell?
Spoiler for LN:
Old 2012-09-13, 11:33   Link #1156
NeutralZero

Say, over the course of the story up to the current volume, did the Blooms in general had a change of heart on how they treat and view the Weeds especially Tatsuya?
Old 2012-09-13, 12:12   Link #1157
whsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZero View Post
Say, over the course of the story up to the current volume, did the Blooms in general had a change of heart on how they treat and view the Weeds especially Tatsuya?
Nope. The Blooms (with the exception of the Council) are still the same arrogant j-as*es. Morisaki the D-bag is still representative of the Blooms' attitude toward Weeds.

Even when Tatsuya performed miracles during the 9 School Tournament, the other 8 schools thought Tatsuya was a Bloom because his shirt was that of a Bloom. Tatsuya may have been popular with the girls of his own school (whom all wondered how the hell Tatsuya was a Weed), but the guys were filled with jealousy and rage.
Old 2012-09-13, 12:57   Link #1158
DarkDooM

what ignorant brats :P

but now that u mention Morisaki, have there been more scenes of him being a complete douchebag in the later arcs as well? i think there was even a side story about him
Old 2012-09-13, 13:24   Link #1159
whsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDooM View Post
what ignorant brats :P

but now that u mention Morisaki, have there been more scenes of him being a complete douchebag in the later arcs as well? i think there was even a side story about him
I don't really remember Morisaki showing up later. He didn't show up much after the tournament where he was gloriously caved in by the ceiling and hence out of commission for the remainder of the Monolith Code Competition (Tatsuya + 2 Weeds replace the team). People were like wtf, an technician and two guys who weren't even on the original tournament team?

There is a SS about Morisaki. It mostly explores his background where we learn that his family is into the security/bodyguard business. He himself became a bodyguard for an American girl as she was chased by Japanese authorities throughout the city. It was a so-so SS.
Old 2012-09-13, 13:28   Link #1160
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsie View Post
Nope. The Blooms (with the exception of the Council) are still the same arrogant j-as*es. Morisaki the D-bag is still representative of the Blooms' attitude toward Weeds.

Even when Tatsuya performed miracles during the 9 School Tournament, the other 8 schools thought Tatsuya was a Bloom because his shirt was that of a Bloom. Tatsuya may have been popular with the girls of his own school (whom all wondered how the hell Tatsuya was a Weed), but the guys were filled with jealousy and rage.
It should be mentioned though that during the student council election arc, Mayumi's anti-discrimination policy allowing weeds to serve in the student council too got the majority, so it's fair to assume that at least a part of the blooms are no D-bags like Morisaki.

There's been one cute scene during the 9 school tournament where some girl participant (I think it was Eimi) was "thanking" the male first-years for "giving Tatsuya to the girls". Morisaki busted a gut and left seething ^_^ ... so, the bloom douches get their just deserts.
Closed Thread

Tags
action, fantasy, harem, incest, mahouka, rettousei, school life, shounen, siblings