AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shin Sekai Yori

Notices

View Poll Results: Shin Sekai Yori - Episode 12 Rating
Perfect 10 19 41.30%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 19 41.30%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 4 8.70%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 8.70%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-12-15, 06:40   Link #21
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakshasa View Post
Never trust subs... Pretty sure it was said that Mamoru was making the joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Yep, it's a mistranslation. Mamoru was upset about what happened and said the nekodamashi was coming to get him after this. He tried to make it sound like a joke but it was clear he was being serious.
I think you guys just remember that from the novel, which you would be right.

Spoiler for novel exerpt (spoiler only for size):

The line in the anime though is ネコダマシが来るんじゃないかなんで冗談めかして言ってたけど, so the translator's not wrong? I think the change's intentional because you don't find out
Spoiler for potentially skipped detail:
so maybe the script would flow better with that detail not being shown. I'm not going to defend whether that's a good decision but translation itself should be ok.

Quote:
Also:
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Oh my. wtf, animators?

She's there since the beginning. I remember reading somewhere that they actually sat down and plan out all the character profiles, so this is definitely intentional~ (do not quote me though)

I am particularly fond of this episode, because the viewers are finally given all the information to understand the theme of the series: 偽りの神に抗え/Opposing the Fake God. Infodump is difficult to animate. The storyboard for this episode is far more cohesive and engaging than all the previous infodump episodes. If there's one thing about Hyouka that I enjoyed (definitely not most of the mysteries), it's the extravagant directing/storyboarding that they use for "talk, talk, talk". I'm glad Shinsekai has pulled one of those finally, which turned out to be fairly unsurprising because Ishihama (our director for those who forgot) is the one who handled the storyboard for 12, a role he hasn't done since episode 1-3 (the "best" episodes). For fans of Yamauchi though, fear not, he shall return episode 14.

To top all of that, the dark humor of "no rights until 17" is just extremely hilarious when considering Japan's extremely lenient laws for youth under 17 (even regarding murders). Oh how the tables have turned in the future~ Finally (not sure if someone mentioned this already), there will be a new ED "soon" for "part III" of the anime sang by Hanazawa.
Old 2012-12-15, 06:43   Link #22
hgjfgh
Banned

If you remember, in the second episode, Shun read the story about the Karma Demon while in the first episode Maria read the story about the fiend.

We know what happened to Shun in the end, so what does that tell us about Maria?
Old 2012-12-15, 06:50   Link #23
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunagisa View Post

She's there since the beginning. I remember reading somewhere that they actually sat down and plan out all the character profiles, so this is definitely intentional~ (do not quote me though)
Just imaging ... her boobs didn't change in size ( maybe not ?!) after 2 years.... What more when she grows? Just thinking she has a female partner is so damn... hot!
Old 2012-12-15, 07:10   Link #24
kuromitsu

Quote:

The line in the anime though is ネコダマシが来るんじゃないかなんで冗談めかして言ってたけど, so the translator's not wrong? I think the change's intentional because you don't find out
so maybe the script would flow better with that detail not being shown. I'm not going to defend whether that's a good decision but translation itself should be ok.
It's "冗談っぽく" ^^;; not "僕". Anyway, it's still means pretty much the same thing? Especially in the context of the rest of the sentence, and the rest of the scene, for that matter (as worried as Maria is, she's not blaming herself as she would if she knew she caused him to run away... also, such a cruel joke to Mamoru would be pretty out of character for her). It's easy to see how the translators misunderstood it, though.

As for the "skipped detail", it's not skipped,
Spoiler for next episode, most likely:

Quote:
The storyboard for this episode is far more cohesive and engaging than all the previous infodump episodes.
Well, it helps that this time there's actually stuff to animate, unlike when the minoshiro library was just there talking and talking and talking...

Quote:
For fans of Yamauchi though, fear not, he shall return episode 14.
Do you have an episode title for that? By the pace they're going I have a few ideas about the content of ep 14 , and to be honest I'm not sure I want them done in Yamauchi's style...

Also, I'm not happy to hear about the new ending. :/ The current one is awesome, but that aside, Hanazawa singing it doesn't sound too good. (I don't mean she can't sing, of course she can, it's just the character association and everything else... :/ I hope the ending is not going to be Maria-centric.)

Last edited by kuromitsu; 2012-12-15 at 07:22.
Old 2012-12-15, 07:14   Link #25
Rakshasa

Quote:

No, I haven't read the novels... I actually got it from watching the anime.

It's not the easiest line to figure out, it seems like it could be very ambiguous if you aren't very familiar with Japanese. The '僕' in your transcript above is actually 'ぽく' as in 'pretend / act like', e.g. 'he was pretending to be joking'. (Not to mention girls don't use '僕')

When you hear the later parts of the explanation it's clear that it was Mamoru that was joking, but was just acting like it was a joke.
Old 2012-12-15, 07:26   Link #26
ookamigirl

So they knew everything about what happened right from the start.
The story about Karma demons was interesting.
This episode came with lots of new info as well.
Mamoru's disappearance doesn't look good.
He's probably gonna end up like Shun..

My Blog --> ookami
Old 2012-12-15, 07:27   Link #27
Kunagisa

Quote:
It's "冗談っぽく" ^^;; not "僕"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakshasa View Post
No, I haven't read the novels... I actually got it from watching the anime.

It's not the easiest line to figure out, it seems like it could be very ambiguous if you aren't very familiar with Japanese. The '僕' in your transcript above is actually 'ぽく' as in 'pretend / act like', e.g. 'he was pretending to be joking'. (Not to mention girls don't use '僕')

When you hear the later parts of the explanation it's clear that it was Mamoru that was joking, but was just acting like it was a joke.
Ah, should've thought of that. You are right. One of these days I'll get used to conjugation ... maa, I only looked into it because I heard that's how the Chinese sub translated that line as well and the sub groups usually read the source materials beforehand.

Thank you so much for correcting me though! There are so much limitation to learning just by reading, these help a ton.

Quote:
As for the "skipped detail",
Spoiler for next episode, most likely:
Hence, why I said "potentially" skipped!

Quote:
Well, it helps that this time there's actually stuff to animate, unlike when the minoshiro library was just there talking and talking and talking...
You can always animate the things you talk about! It's just a choice of whether the staff wants to do it! I never fault Shinsekai for "being lazy" though, since there's no OP, so they gotta make up for those stock footage budget somewhere.

Quote:
Do you have an episode title for that? By the pace they're going I have a few ideas about the content of ep 14 , and to be honest I'm not sure I want them done in Yamauchi's style...
Nah, I just saw that one on 2ch back 34th thread. Interestingly enough, it didn't even have the episode director nor animation supervisor's name down yet.
Old 2012-12-15, 10:10   Link #28
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That was a nice informative episode. Nothing new was revealed, but we finally found out in detail how Karma Demons and Fiends are born, what the difference between the two is, and how the rules of society were bent in order to prevent their emergence. I understand why they're so scared of them, K managed to kill over a thousand people all by himself. They couldn't even defend themselves against him due to the restrictions imposed on them. The death feeback has its drawbacks.

K's story was as terrifying as the girl karma demon's was tragic. That poor girl, just like Shun, never did anything wrong - she was just unlucky. I enjoyed the visuals accompanying the narration. They did a good job conveying how horrible and desperate her situation was.

I was a bit surprised Saki was chose by Satoru's grandmother to be the next head of the ethics committee, but this actually makes a lot of sense. It is true that Saki is very level-headed and composed. She handled the truth impressively well for someone her age. She's basically the complete opposite of Mamoru.

Mamoru's disappearance is worrisome, however I don't think he will become a fiend. He doesn't strike me as the type of person who would hurt anybody. He was never hinted to have any morbid thoughts either. Besides, if he really had the potential to become a fiend, I believe he would have been removed by now. Fiends are easier to detect than karma demons; since they were watching him closely, they would have noticed something was off with him. It's possible that fear could turn him into a different person though, so I suppose we can't rule this possibility out yet.

Quote:
Also:
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Oh my. wtf, animators?
lol, I knew this would catch somebody else's eye.

Quote:

Wait, she's actually been there all along? How did I not notice? And she had those big boobs even when she was only 12, dayum...

New ED soon... I'm going to miss the current one. I'm curious to hear the new song nonetheless. I hope it will suit Kana's heavenly voice.
Old 2012-12-15, 11:05   Link #29
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I think that Fiends and Karma Demons are different sides of the same coin.

A Fiend is someone who gives complete vent to inner dark and violent impulses. This complete lack of self-restraint ultimately turns them into murderous monsters.

A Karma Demon is someone who gives no vent to inner dark and violent impulses. This is partly why they are such kind and loving people. But since their inner darkness is given no vent at all, that darkness falls entirely to the subconscious, and hence it leaks out uncontrollably, causing destruction.

Perhaps one of the key ideas being put forward by Shin Sekai Yori is the concept of psychological balance, and how achieving it is important.

Shin Sekai Yori certainly tells an interesting story, and its fictional world is as fascinating as it is dark. It was good to see the plot move forward nicely in this episode, while also doing some excellent world-building.

As horrific as the darker elements of this society are, it's hard to fault the adults managing this society for doing what they do. A child gone bad is like a walking weapon of mass destruction, after all.
Old 2012-12-15, 11:17   Link #30
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Oh, I can just feel Maria snapping and turning into a Fiend. XD

But yeah, a very awesome episode. Shin Sekai Yori finally returns to it original quality during the first three episodes, and it's a welcome sight considering this series dropped in my rankings recently.

And was the Asahina in the flashback the grandma? Because if it was, it's weird that the world looked to be of present modern times despite it being maybe just 50 years in the past of the current timeline.

Finally, I wonder if Saki's mom was also a candidate for the succession as head of the Ethics committee, as both mother and daughter gave the same response according to Tomoko. Because if she was, she didn't come off as a level headed person during Saki's childhood... but then again maybe having your children killed at such a young age was her weakness.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2012-12-15, 12:01   Link #31
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I had a hard time watching this episode after yesterday's events in Connecticut. I'll try it again in a couple of days when I've had a bit more time to grieve.
Old 2012-12-15, 12:21   Link #32
Grey

"What, the episode is over already?" Hahaha, great stuff. Even if we already guessed at a lot of it, the exposition was nice.

And wow, the Education and Ethics groups look a lot less sinister than I thought. Instead, they're normal people trying to deal with dangerous and unfortunate illnesses.
Old 2012-12-15, 13:16   Link #33
SagaraSouske

Fiend I can understand. Karma Demon why don't they just send them to a secluded area to let them live by themselves. I mean the population is a fraction of what it used to be so there should be plenty of empty lands. The nature of these Karma Demons will allow them to obey their instructions and live in seclusion till end of their natural lives. But their intellect can be used to understand their own problem and develop solution for it or at least able to study and provide insight. Especially if there will be more then 1 Karma Demon living together.
Old 2012-12-15, 13:28   Link #34
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SagaraSouske View Post
Fiend I can understand. Karma Demon why don't they just send them to a secluded area to let them live by themselves. I mean the population is a fraction of what it used to be so there should be plenty of empty lands. The nature of these Karma Demons will allow them to obey their instructions and live in seclusion till end of their natural lives. But their intellect can be used to understand their own problem and develop solution for it or at least able to study and provide insight. Especially if there will be more then 1 Karma Demon living together.
That's an interesting thought. I like it.
Old 2012-12-15, 13:38   Link #35
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Finally, I wonder if Saki's mom was also a candidate for the succession as head of the Ethics committee, as both mother and daughter gave the same response according to Tomoko. Because if she was, she didn't come off as a level headed person during Saki's childhood... but then again maybe having your children killed at such a young age was her weakness.
Most likely this is what happened.

After having one of her own children having to be removed she lost her nerve and turned down her spot as the next head of the Committee.
Old 2012-12-15, 14:43   Link #36
SeaDoor

The further into this series I go, the stronger the feeling I have there might be an ecological metaphor in play. How viable is a society who, despite brutal steps for prevention, continues to contaminate their surroundings and periodically harm themselves?
Old 2012-12-15, 14:54   Link #37
Eater of All
NOM

Anyone else got reminded of Psychopass when the grandma mentioned personality index?

Now I see parallels between the two series everywhere.
Old 2012-12-15, 14:56   Link #38
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eater of All View Post
Anyone else got reminded of Psychopass when the grandma mentioned personality index?
Yep.

I immediately thought "Ah, now I know precisely how to describe Akane generally unflappable nature in Psycho-Pass. She has a high personality index!"
Old 2012-12-15, 16:49   Link #39
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SagaraSouske View Post
I think that even if they are sent to live far away, they will unconsciously create monsters (all their nightmares will take physical form) that will breed and cause chaos in the ecosystem.

Think for a moment that the only reason we do not have giant ants, wasps or cockroaches is because they lake lungs and can't grow bigger than well, insect size. But with gene manipulating you can give them lungs and make them bigger, even with psychokinesis an army of giant wasps would make mincemeat of a whole village in one night.

Now think about the monsters that can be created if we get really creative.
Old 2012-12-15, 17:00   Link #40
Triple_R
*Author

You know, I'm actually kind of surprised that they haven't tried to remove "Cantus" (i.e. PK ability) completely from the population. I mean, at a genetic engineering level.

While "Cantus" powers have some obvious benefits to them, it's hard to think that they're worth the associated downsides.