AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-03-07, 03:05   Link #61
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Hehehe...I can just see those unsuspecting viewer's faces when they get to episode 5...

"WHAT?!? AREN'T THEY ALREADY DEAD?!?!11?ONE!?"

Kind of a weird episode cutoff, right after the first episode of a new story arc. Whereas other anime story arcs sorta blend together, Higurashi doesn't exactly quite do the same...
Old 2007-03-07, 04:50   Link #62
The Bloodlust Kid
Needs a better screenname

Send a message via AIM to The Bloodlust Kid
I think they should make the title: "When Cicadas Cry".
Most likely because it reminds me of someone describing it as otherworld beings communicating.
Old 2007-03-07, 10:34   Link #63
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

I don't know why some people are upset about the English name; "When They Cry" was the English title right underneath "Higurashi no Naku Koroni" on the games.
Old 2007-03-07, 14:24   Link #64
Supergrunch
Tegenaria gigantea

Send a message via MSN to Supergrunch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakaOnna View Post
Well... maybe people will wonder why there's a blood trail in the logo. I hope Geneon at least keeps the blood trail in the English logo since it's actually an important clue. Infinity symbol!
Wow, I never realised that... I suppose they added that clue for the anime, because the game logo didn't have the blood trail...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980 View Post
I don't know why some people are upset about the English name; "When They Cry" was the English title right underneath "Higurashi no Naku Koroni" on the games.
Well, some people are claiming that "When They Cry" was actaully the tagline rather than the title.

Personally, I prefer the original, but that's becuase I think it sounds better- "When They Cry" is a bit too simple, and doesn't sound mysterious enough.
Old 2007-03-07, 16:18   Link #65
Avisch
Reality Blender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrunch View Post
Wow, I never realised that... I suppose they added that clue for the anime, because the game logo didn't have the blood trail...

Well, some people are claiming that "When They Cry" was actaully the tagline rather than the title.

Personally, I prefer the original, but that's because I think it sounds better- "When They Cry" is a bit too simple, and doesn't sound mysterious enough.
The english title is ok..but sort of wierd. "When They Cry - Higurashi" Actually it is a decent mix of the Japanese title and english title/tagline. But I think it wound sound more meaningful (and somewhat more menacing..atleast to me) if the kept it literal "When Cicadas Cry".

I'm probably obsessing over a title......But I'm okay with that.
Old 2007-03-07, 16:24   Link #66
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

As long as the title doesn't act as customer repellent (recalls "Shadow Warrior Chronicles"), it's really not that important.
Old 2007-03-07, 16:27   Link #67
BakaOnna

Or something worse like Casey and Friends.
Old 2007-03-07, 16:37   Link #68
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakaOnna View Post
Or something worse like Casey and Friends.
[completely off-topic]
I wiki'd that and came up empty. What is it?
[/completely off-topic]
Old 2007-03-07, 16:43   Link #69
chrno_the_sinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by grgspunk View Post
I highly doubt they'll be able to use those covers if they're pursuing the horror angle and condensing the number of DVD volumes. However, I'm pretty sure they can always include the cover art in the form of postcards/pencil boards/reversable covers or in an art gallery in the extras section of the dvds.

The Rental DVDs had the same picture, only with reversed color (like a photo-negative). I can foresee the R1 going the same route for the DVDs.

As for actual covers, I can see the first one for the first disc, the Mion/Keiichi one for the second disc, the Satoko/Rika one for the third, the Akasaka/Rika one for the fourth, the Shion/Satoshi for the fifth, the Rena in the train for the sixth, and the final for the final disc, assuming 7 discs of course. The 4th to seventh could go without the reversed color since the mood does change a bit after the first three chapters anyways. The only ones we'd be without is the stripping one (which is too fanservice-y anyways) and the Rika/Satoko in the field, which could easily be included as pencil boards anyways. In house art is a bad idea though. Elfen Lied's covers weren't especially nice, neither were Narutaru's.
Old 2007-03-07, 17:13   Link #70
ashefatal
YOUR secret stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
[completely off-topic]
I wiki'd that and came up empty. What is it?
[/completely off-topic]

This is what they refer to
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5UfIRmkv28
Old 2007-03-07, 18:25   Link #71
chrno_the_sinner

I GOT SECOND PLACE IN THE CONTEST!!!! Sweet! I'm happy now.

The only voice I can really think of for Keiichi is sadly JYB. I like him, but he's in EVERYTHING. Crispen Freeman would make an excellent Akasaka though. Stephanie Sheh would do wonders as Rena too.

As for disc order, my choices stay the same as above, but without either the last one or the Rika/Akasaka one, one of which will likely end up on the collectors box.
Old 2007-03-07, 23:45   Link #72
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Indeed. That has always been the official English title, but people are upset because it sucks as an English title. Trust me when I say that for a native English speaker, it just doesn't do it.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2007-03-07, 23:55   Link #73
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Really? I think it has a certain mystery to it--although maybe I'm just able to say that because I already know what Higurashi's about.
Old 2007-03-07, 23:57   Link #74
The Bloodlust Kid
Needs a better screenname

Send a message via AIM to The Bloodlust Kid
Quote:
Well the Castlevania series has been known as Demon Castle Dracula/Dracula's Demon Castle but that just doesn't sound right to a lot of people. Same goes for that Shin Megami Tensei game with the insanely long subtitle.
Old 2007-03-08, 01:22   Link #75
Aya Reiko
Cutengu

Quote:
Some people will bitch and whine regardless of Geneon's (or whoever's) decision. Ignore them, since they usually know little to nothing about what they're talking about.
Old 2007-03-08, 17:27   Link #76
Shadow Miko
ASuki's #1 Virgillia fan~

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
Higurashi, Nanoha and possibly Rozen Maiden are all series I have an eye on. Combined with their excellent Hellsing work, Geneon is pretty quickly becoming my favorite English dub house. Their work is great and their taste in series superb. And they only seem to have gotten better since their old parent company, Pioneer, let them go.

Are you insinuating something, missy?

( )
I insiutate nothing. XP

They also did Erementar Gerad, didn't they? I really liked that dub. With this new addition I'd say Geneon is tied with Funi for favorite.

WAS Hanyuu's biggest fangirl, my heart belongs to Virgillia now. <3 Loli Salad - A blog of epic-proportions!
Old 2007-03-08, 18:31   Link #77
Bloodseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrno_the_sinner View Post
I GOT SECOND PLACE IN THE CONTEST!!!! Sweet! I'm happy now.
I got first.

I didn't really want to win though... I just entered without thinking within a minute of it being posted. I'll probably sell the bobblehead and the figurine. (too bad that they don't give you the first Higurashi DVD + artbox for free)
Old 2007-03-08, 23:04   Link #78
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Shadow Miko, did you screw up your quotes? I don't remember posting that

I didn't even realize there was a contest until last night. I got over the horrible feeling of loss once I found out that I didn't want any of the prizes, though, so it's all good
Old 2007-03-09, 00:38   Link #79
chrno_the_sinner

I also entered without thinking, but I'm happy about the fact that I won. I wish they would've given the DVD though. That would've made me really happy.
Old 2007-03-09, 05:04   Link #80
Bloodseeker

I would have been happy that I won that contest if they gave me even just the DVD without the artbox.

As it is though, meh.
Closed Thread