AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2003-11-22, 18:11   Link #1
|Aion|
Hajime

Send a message via AIM to |Aion| Send a message via Yahoo to |Aion|
Lightbulb How to set a audio prefrence in .mkv files.Learn here.

HELL YEAH!! I found a way to make a .mkv play your desiered audio.For this to work you NEED Morgan Stream Switcher. It is included in Matroska Pack 1.0.0.This is a very good pack to help play .mkv files.Has all the needed codecs.If you have these installed.You can Proceed.

This is a more detailed version of how to work this problem out,less detailed version at the bottom of this post

[1]Goto the folder in which the .mkv files are.

[2]Create a notepad document,rename it to the filename in which you wish to set a audio prefrence,then change the extension from .txt to .mss

[3]Inside of the newly created .mss file it should look like this .
Rename the Audio 1 and 2.to whatever the audios provided. Audio_def is were you set the default language for he .mkv file,by putting the audio track number after the " = " mark.

[4]Repeat if you have more .mkv files in folder. If you wish not to see the .mss files after they are all created,simply left click on the file > goto properties > check the hidden box,then apply. Next goto Tools > Folder Options > Click the View tab > Cliick the circle next to "Do not show hidden files and folders" then apply.

All of this has been tested by me.Im using Windows ME.No problems with it thus far.

Less detailed version at http://morgan-multimedia.com/mmswitch/index.htm
Old 2003-11-24, 19:49   Link #2
|Aion|
Hajime

---------------------ON to .OGM--------------------------

!!UPDATE!!

Well even though this thread is probalby not read too much,i figured there would be a couple that might find it useful.After i got my .mkv files to play exactly the way i wanted to them,I remembered that .ogm files also contain dual audio files.So i went and downloaded a series that was encoded in ogm tried it and it did not work at first,but i did find a way for it to.

THIS IS ALL TESTED BY ME AND WORKS!
If anything does go wrong i will try and help fix the problem,but i cannot gaurntee that i can help you.
Do NOT use if you are unsure that this will work
As to my knowledge ther is no way to reverse what happens in this guide,except for system restore,so like i said use caution when using this guide

Caution there is a very very small chance that doing this can corrupt the file,and it does state that using this program http://www.morgan-multimedia.com/download/mmaviinf.zip which is needed,is still in beta stage which means is can possibly mess up your files.

NOTE:On this single file something did happen causing it not to work,I dont know what happend but i could not play this single file,ALL other .ogm work perfectly and after i re-downloaded that one file i had no further problems.(This occured after all the steps are completed) This may not happen to you,this is just incase,so you dont have to worry about whats going on.

NOTE_2:Orginally in .ogm files there audio is controlled by a program called OggDSF,which is one of many audio splitters avaliable,anyways the .mss files on work for the Morgan Stream Switcher audio program.These steps will allow for MorganSS to take control of switching sudio streams,to allow the .mss files to decide the default audio for each file.

[1] After you have download MMAviINF,open and have it chose one of your .ogm files.As far as i know you just have to do this step once.(orginally this was just for .avi files,but just set it to accpet all files)(Picture below)

[2] Next select audio 2(usually the japanes audio stream) type in Japanes in the Dialog Box,press Save,after the pop-up (if one appears) Quit the program.(Picture Below)

[3] Create all the nesscary .mss files like i stated in the above post.Bascailly follow step 3 exatcly like above.After all this it should look like this.(Picture Below)
Old 2003-11-24, 20:59   Link #3
Animaniac
On leave?

Just to let you know, Morgan Stream Switcher is regarded as one of the worst filters out there. That said, it was recently made open source but there has been little to no progress.
Old 2003-11-24, 21:20   Link #4
|Aion|
Hajime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animaniac
Just to let you know, Morgan Stream Switcher is regarded as one of the worst filters out there. That said, it was recently made open source but there has been little to no progress.
hmm.. i did not know that,sadly though these guides that i made will only work if you have Morgan Stream Switcher.I guess though its possible to create another type of file other than .mss that will do the same thing,but i havent seen nor heard of any,but i havent looked to hard.I was happy just to find a way.
Old 2003-11-24, 22:35   Link #5
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

Hm, wierd...
For me, if I use Mplayer Classic...
I just right click->Audio Filter->Morgan stream Switcher
and pick the audio...
I don't even have anything installed...

and it works in avis too @_@
I ripped an angelic layer dvd, with fairuse,
included both languages and the avi allowed it.
Old 2003-11-25, 11:37   Link #6
Animaniac
On leave?

Why do you use Morgan Stream Switcher when MPC has a (MUCH BETTER) built-in stream switcher?
Old 2003-11-25, 14:12   Link #7
|Aion|
Hajime

well dont know really,My favorite player is Zoom Player,has all the features I want and it doesnt take up much resources.Morgan is the stream switcher that i installed at some time.Also i think that all version of wmp suck.When i try and play a ogm or mkv in classic my comp freezes up every time.
Old 2003-11-25, 18:12   Link #8
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

Maybe it wasn't Morgan.
I didn't install anything.
[Let me check]

Nope, sorry about that.
It wasn't Morgan.
Old 2003-11-28, 05:48   Link #9
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Here's an absurdly simple method that works for both MKV and OGM files. Use Core Media Player. The current version will allow you to set your preferred audio and subtitle languages in the program's preferences. Once you've set your preference it will be used whenever that language is an option.

Simple, eh? It's a really great player also.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2003-11-28, 14:29   Link #10
|Aion|
Hajime

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Here's an absurdly simple method that works for both MKV and OGM files. Use Core Media Player. The current version will allow you to set your preferred audio and subtitle languages in the program's preferences. Once you've set your preference it will be used whenever that language is an option.

So your basically saying that these guides i wrote are worthless if you have that Core Media Player, huh?

EDIT: Either way if those guides are useles or not,If people can set up there audio and subtitle preference,maybe .ogm and .mkv medai files will be more accepted,cause before i found this stuff out i hated .ogm and .mkv
Old 2003-12-01, 20:09   Link #11
Animaniac
On leave?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa

It's made by some of the same Matroska developers too. =)
Old 2003-12-01, 20:19   Link #12
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
It's made by some of the same Matroska developers too. =)
I know. That's why it is listed on Matroska's page as the player that they recommend. Originally I found it because I was trying to playback a Matroska file. Since then it has slowly grown on me until it became my favorite player.

This is just one more reason to use the Core Player! (Plug! Plug!)

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2003-12-01, 22:26   Link #13
Kagari

Send a message via ICQ to Kagari Send a message via MSN to Kagari Send a message via Yahoo to Kagari
penny dun get offended... :P dun worry, it's like there 2 wayz, the easy and the hard... hehe... maybe i'll give ur tip a shot, if all else fails try using core player... :P

anywayz thanx alot for the help... i can finally watch keneshin... :P
Old 2003-12-02, 17:17   Link #14
Xiandu
Destroyer of the God Deus

Send a message via AIM to Xiandu
Hey sweet, thanks for the core player. I had some ogg and mkv files that would not play at all on mpc. Now to see if i can adjust the brightness and contrast.
Old 2004-02-18, 11:32   Link #15
cjdshaw

Thanks Xeno. I use J River Media Center which is great for doing all my organisation on my HTPC, so I didn't want to switch to a different player. Using a remote also makes switching tracks manually a real pain. Your MSS method is perfect.
Old 2004-02-20, 11:28   Link #16
eean

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Xeno:.
HELL YEAH!! I found a way to make a .mkv play your desiered audio.For this to work you NEED Morgan Stream Switcher. It is included in Matroska Pack 1.0.0.This is a very good pack to help play .mkv files.Has all the needed codecs.If you have these installed.You can Proceed.
<snip>
mplayer has command-line options to switch between languages. There are two ways to do it. If the .ogm or .mkv is setup right, running `mplayer -alang ja -slang en somefile.ogm` will do it. Sometimes they're not though. In that case you have to switch by audio and subtitle number, so then it might be `mplayer -aid 2 -sid 1 somefile.mkv`

MPlayer outputs the available subtitles and audio streams when it starts up.

Check out the mplayer man pages for all the options.

In Linux there are already multiple GUI frontends to mplayer... someone should get around to make one for Windows.
Old 2004-04-04, 01:14   Link #17
ryaneszorro

Quote:
Why do you use Morgan Stream Switcher when MPC has a (MUCH BETTER) built-in stream switcher?

Is it possible to set the default language in MPC (media player classic) to Japanese (if Japanese is available, that is)? That would be lovely. Also, I tried The Core Media Player with ZX's Witch Hunter Robin.mvk and it went psycho.... it wouldn't "render" properly and crashes everytime I try to play it with CMP... Works fine with any other player though..... any suggestions?