Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-01-28, 21:20   Link #261
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipernorris View Post
Yeah too bad the title is hetalia = hetare italia... useless italy. I don't know the reason of such hate and I don't care about it. This retarded show should be cancelled from airing because anime is supposed to deal with fantasy worlds... if it deals with real worlds then it has to be very careful to not offending real people.
Ah btw Japan is a shy guy? Yeah like the ones who made a genocide in China during world war 2...
Free media, man. You start telling them to take the stuff you personally don't like off the air, they give in and next thing you know someone else asks them to take stuff you do like off the air.

There's no rule that says anime has to be set in an alternate reality, nor any that says it must be extremely careful lest someone get offended. Anime is just another storytelling medium, same as western animation, live-action TV, film, novels, comics, radio, etc. You can tell whatever kind of story you want.

Plus, this is a satire, and if you ask me a good satire ridicules sensitive issues and pushes the audience's comfort zone. That's the whole point.
Raiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-29, 01:38   Link #262
ipernorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
Free media, man. You start telling them to take the stuff you personally don't like off the air, they give in and next thing you know someone else asks them to take stuff you do like off the air.

There's no rule that says anime has to be set in an alternate reality, nor any that says it must be extremely careful lest someone get offended. Anime is just another storytelling medium, same as western animation, live-action TV, film, novels, comics, radio, etc. You can tell whatever kind of story you want.

Plus, this is a satire, and if you ask me a good satire ridicules sensitive issues and pushes the audience's comfort zone. That's the whole point.
Ok your point may be right... then it would be ok to make a manga or a comic on the atrocities committed by japanese soldiers in China or make a satira about how many japanese people were burned down by the nuke. I'm sure Japan would be veery happy about such a show!
ipernorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-29, 03:36   Link #263
domino
デレデレ

Quote:
Yeah too bad the title is hetalia = hetare italia... useless italy. I don't know the reason of such hate and I don't care about it. This retarded show should be cancelled from airing because anime is supposed to deal with fantasy worlds... if it deals with real worlds then it has to be very careful to not offending real people.
Ah btw Japan is a shy guy? Yeah like the ones who made a genocide in China during world war 2...
With that kind of logic, should no anime story take place on Earth as we know it?
And the word "hetare" doesn't really translate well to English... it has a kind of cute meaning attached to it to the point where it is a positive trait to many people (it's even a popular fetish in the anime world to like a "hetare character"). For example, in anime when a cute but clumsy girl keeps falling down and messing things up but you just want to hug her, that is the feeling of "hetare".

That said, it's not like this show is implying that all Italians are clumsy. Just the character is. Please watch it without taking it too seriously.

Quote:
Ok your point may be right... then it would be ok to make a manga or a comic on the atrocities committed by japanese soldiers in China or make a satira about how many japanese people were burned down by the nuke. I'm sure Japan would be veery happy about such a show!
Also remember that this series is not about war crimes or anything. I hope this kind of historical talk will stop in this thread and get back to talking more about the series itself... this series is not about bombing people or serious combat. It's a comedy of people rolling around and wanting food and random thoughts that the author had after reading stories in the news (such as things about national average height data).
domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-29, 06:41   Link #264
sapphire-pyro
C.C. Loyalist

I kinda doubt that majority of those who are complaining against Hetalia have actually read much of the manga >_>

Oh I hope people will stop judging whether an anime should be aired or not. If they find Hetalia offensive, the same applies to many other series out there! You cannot please everybody; there will always be someone who is offended on . . . everything! Even on harmless things! That's how absurd extremely sensitive people are and how crazy humanity is. I wish people will focus on more important issues, rather than banning an anime

I wish more people will see Hetalia more on the positive side. Come on, many people have loved history and nations more because of this series! xD

Alright, end of rant/sadness/frustration/hope/whatever, back to anime and character fun:

I can't wait for the next episode xD Chibitalia's so adorable and I would love to see more of him *_* I expect more Italy screentime next episode too. And I wish for UK's unicorn and US's alien to show up xD Wahahahha!!!!

Quote:
Ah btw Japan is a shy guy?
I think he is more of the passive-aggresive type in the show rather than a shy one (can't think of a better term, but from reading many of the manga, I'm sure he's not shy xD). I am not very sure who is the real very shy nation-tan in the series (maybe Latvia? Hmm x_x)
sapphire-pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-29, 06:41   Link #265
ipernorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
With that kind of logic, should no anime story take place on Earth as we know it?
And the word "hetare" doesn't really translate well to English... it has a kind of cute meaning attached to it to the point where it is a positive trait to many people (it's even a popular fetish in the anime world to like a "hetare character"). For example, in anime when a cute but clumsy girl keeps falling down and messing things up but you just want to hug her, that is the feeling of "hetare".
From animedb
Quote:
The manga's title comes the Japanese words for "useless" (hetare) and Italy (Italia).
I think it's highly offensive for Italy and Italians in general... if we want to talk about uselessness then it would be nice to make an anime about how much of a dog Japan has became to the US after the nukes. I don't think Japanese people would be too happy about it, rightfully. I think most japanese don't have these prejudices like the author and editors of this manga/anime .

You then say
Quote:
That said, it's not like this show is implying that all Italians are clumsy. Just the character is. Please watch it without taking it too seriously.
Evrey character rapresents his own country in this "show".

Quote:
Also remember that this series is not about war crimes or anything. I hope this kind of historical talk will stop in this thread and get back to talking more about the series itself... this series is not about bombing people or serious combat. It's a comedy of people rolling around and wanting food and random thoughts that the author had after reading stories in the news (such as things about national average height data).
If you're happy that someone comes out of nowhere calling your country useless and depicting its inhabitants as retarded then it's ok, but don't except others behave the same way!
Old 2009-01-29, 07:05   Link #266
sapphire-pyro
C.C. Loyalist

If "hetare" actually means like what domino is explaining, then it just shows that Italy's being "hetare" in the series is actually both negative and positive. I think the series pretty much balances BOTH the positive and negative traits of all nation-tans.

But if it doesn't, and the word "hetare" does equate to the level of offensiveness to the word "useless", still, doesn't mean that Hetalia is meant to insult nations. It's a satirical comedy after all. It can make fun of everything and it's NOT meant to take seriously

I wish people will stop seeing the "hetare" thing in Hetalia in a very negative way. Try to wonder about this: If Hetalia's Italy is so useless and is the type that his fellow characters and audiences will be annoyed with, how come he is loved by all (I don't think any nation-tan had hated him to bits) nation-tans and loved by many many fans???? (I am not saying all, since you can't please everybody, but still, they're so many! xD)

Fans don't care about the exaggerated negative stereotypes of the nation-tans in Hetalia . . . we love both their good and bad side, and that's how people should be to each other xD

Quote:
Yes, but please do take note that the personalities and traits that these characters represent and manifest are EXAGGERATED stereotypes. And we all know that not all stereotypes are actually true or at least really applicable to the victim of the stereotype.
sapphire-pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-29, 07:52   Link #267
ipernorris

Ok so we can dismiss the entire issue with "it's all satire"... Can I assume someone can make satire on evreything then, like the Olocaust or the Japanese burnt down like crisp chips in Hiroshima? What qualifies a satire as good or as bad?
Old 2009-01-29, 10:00   Link #268
Nvenya

Quote:
Ok so we can dismiss the entire issue with "it's all satire"... Can I assume someone can make satire on evreything then, like the Olocaust or the Japanese burnt down like crisp chips in Hiroshima? What qualifies a satire as good or as bad?
Yes, you can dismiss the entire argument because it's a satire. Yes, you can create a satire about the Holocaust or the bombing of Hiroshima. You have to understand that satire is used to make fun of the faults and stupidity of others. Would it be dangerous to create a satire about those subjects? Yes it would. Would it be in poor taste? Possibly, depending on the specifics of the satire. They might be able to make fun of the Germans or the United States.

There are many overly sensitive people out there that can't take a joke or laugh at themselves. When someone makes a satire about Islam the Arabic world gets their pitchforks out and mobs the creator. The Chinese use satire as a form of protest against their government. I'm sure not all of them have gotten away with it. Many people have been killed for creating satire.

I wonder if the Korean nationalists would have been this upset if Hetalia had been created by someone not hailing from Japan.

I liked the first episode. Thought it was cute and funny. Glad to see they already made fun of Japan for not thinking for himself. Thought France and Greece were great.

Last edited by Nvenya; 2009-01-29 at 10:28.
Nvenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-29, 12:10   Link #269
domino
デレデレ

Quote:
From animedb

I think it's highly offensive for Italy and Italians in general... if we want to talk about uselessness then it would be nice to make an anime about how much of a dog Japan has became to the US after the nukes. I don't think Japanese people would be too happy about it, rightfully. I think most japanese don't have these prejudices like the author and editors of this manga/anime .

You then say

Quote:
If you're happy that someone comes out of nowhere calling your country useless and depicting its inhabitants as retarded then it's ok, but don't except others behave the same way!
Even though each character represents a country, no harm is meant, so why be offended? They are all exaggerated stereotypes and nothing more. The author didn't make this because he wanted to insult anyone.

Quote:
Actually, my country, America, is arguably the dumbest character in the show. He can't find any other countries on a map and just expects everyone to agree with his ridiculous sense of justice and thinks hamburgers are the cure for diseases. I am not offended by this at all -- in fact, I think it's hilarious. It is an exaggerated stereotype but is based on truth (there really are a lot of Americans who are bad at geography and hamburgers are very popular here). The series is not trying to call everyone in the world stupid or anything. It's a fictional comic!
domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-29, 12:22   Link #270
jennkei
Screenshot Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amex_Yohko View Post
Even thought I never seen it but it is best to say that this show is much like a male version of Koihime Musou, bishounens instead of bishoujos. Well, this is kust a wild speculation and I hope someone can prove me that I was wrong.
Koihime Musou?! Where did that come from?! -boggles-

I'd read a few of the original yonkoma, and liked the first episode -- didn't find it rushed. And after I'd watched it, having a look at some fanart and fanvideos floating around was a treat too...^^

Honestly. If the Italians start getting angry over this, it'll really be -__- But I trust they have better things to do, like PASTAAAAAA..

Steoreotypes exist everywhere. Domino's pretty much said it all. Maybe sometimes it gets rather tongue-in-cheek, but it's not personal unless you make it personal. And I don't think the mangaka meant it offensively.
jennkei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-29, 19:09   Link #271
gaguri

Quote:
I wonder if the Korean nationalists would have been this upset if Hetalia had been created by someone not hailing from Japan.
Your observation is true. Many ignorant Koreans want to take the show down because they think Hetalia shows Korea in bad light (although Korea isn't in it). But, there are also many Koreans who find the very notion of Japanese making a satire of other nations tasteless (especially given Japan's reputation for unforgivable portrayal of other nations). It's not because Koreans don't know how to have fun and can't enjoy satire in general. If it wasn't made by Japanese, there wouldn't have been a problem. It really doesn't matter whether the artist had ill intentions or not, that's how big the racial divide that is fueling this blind hate right now.

I'm not going to point fingers, who started this divide, or suggest what there needs to be done, but the scar is large and will take a lot of time, efforts and understanding on both sides to heal.

So now we FINALLy all understand that it's not the problem with satire itself, but a lot of Koreans still having not-so-pleasant opinions on Japanese, which is not part of this thread at all, can people forget about touchy issues and start talking only about anime itself?

If you don't like it, then understand that there are no ill intentions, and people find this funny and cute for innnocent reasons. Just don't watch it or talk about it. If you like it, then accept the fact that there is a lot of blind anger fueling Koreans present day, and it's something that takes lot of time and understanding to heal. I think there is a really, really easy way to stop (or at least minimise) the discussion going off-topic, but that is moderator's job, regardless of their competence (or evidently in this case, lack thereof).

Now on the topic,

I watched the first episode. It was the worst piece of animation I've watched in years. It was even worse than the mediocrity that was Kurokami. The problem wasn't with low video quality (many of my favourite obscure animations from past are only available low quality), I just didn't find the 'jokes' funny at all. The only redeeming quality was chibitalia bit at the end. Strangely the Japan wasn't the type of character I imagined him to be. The one I had in my mind resembles more of detective Lunge's observation in Monster.

Last edited by gaguri; 2009-01-31 at 02:57.
gaguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-29, 19:32   Link #272
ddwkc
Lone Wolf

Send a message via MSN to ddwkc
I'm Korean and I enjoyed the show immensely. With all those discussion, I'm actually very curious how Korea is portrayed in the original material.
Eo tempore mortem cognovi
ddwkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-30, 00:22   Link #273
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

The show was intensely weird, and the discussion perhaps even more so. I'm entertained, for the moment - by both.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-30, 00:42   Link #274
rose-wisteria
~Cuteness is NOT a Crime~

Send a message via AIM to rose-wisteria Send a message via MSN to rose-wisteria Send a message via Yahoo to rose-wisteria
I personally find the jokes very funny but then again, I have a thing for jokes that poke fun at history/countries and such. I know I told a joke from Hetalia to my brother and he didn't find it as funny as me so it must be a taste in humor I think. Then again, I have a very strict history teacher back in high school and know a lot to try to get all the jokes. ^^;; It's like watching an anime, looking for jokes, and willing to look up info if I don't get one. ^_^;;

I LOVE ITALY. >___<

Minnie's Blog- My thoughts, my stories.
Hey, Say, Anime!- My anime blog with a group of writers.
rose-wisteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-30, 19:38   Link #275
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

... After seeing all of the arguments for and against hetalia I just want to say one thing. You guys DO know that it's not the nation of Japan or the Japanese government making this show, right? It's someone's little idea that hit it big, not the Japanese in general trying to make fun of a nation or the Japanese government trying to cover up history again. I think part of the Korean problem is that the people in Korea (who are annoyed with this, obviously not all the Koreans) don't seem to understand that this isn't a true or possibly even a (Japanese) largely held view of what Koreans are like.
Although it does greatly amuse me that a gag manga about international politics is now being involved in real world international politics.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-31, 00:22   Link #276
Zaresh
Caperucita Roja

I was just remembering one thing.

For those who are still complaining for their nation stereotype in this show, it's all about History, you know... It's not about a group of italian, or french, or japanese people, it's about nations as a whole, as a political entity and career, especially. And, the true was that moderm Italy was very useless and change-minded in WWII and so on, as well as it was slow and a lot of more things in the colonialism in the 19th centiry, as well as it was a great group of very VERY complex political places in the Rebirth because all the main countries in Europe were in war for some of their little nations and lands (including the Vatican itself), as well as Italy was artistic and creative, as wel as...

You know, I'm from Spain, we were allways the bad guys in the past, and in moderm ages, we even aren't, we're nothing, we don't exist in 18th, 19th and most of 20th centuries (in world politics). We are a minor older character with appearently a dark past, and... That's indeed a cliche, and... somehow, it's true (well, we weren't so dark, more or less as the rest of countries. But don't mind ). If Italy was hetare in WWII, Spain was even less. What's the problem if is, at least at some point, true? Or if Italy has a lot of cliches about italian people, like the pasta thing? I'm sure Japan is a cold and dark and weird character, quiet but pasionate and extremist in its actions: that's the cliche concerning japanese, because it's how "is" Japan.

But, nevermind. I'm spanish, I offense people without know it .

BTW, I'm more worried about why anybody is doing anything about all that historical revisionism with Japan doing nothing to people from some countries in WWI, and all that. THAT is a real battlefield, not a satiric full of cliches anime and manga, because Japan really DO BAD things as a country in that time. And, like a friend of me said, I'm sure only a small part of coreans/italians/french/wahtever people are going to be offended by Hetalia cliches.

(Poland lives!!!)

(I hope I didn't take offense to anyone with my post, and I hope my english wasn't too bad to understand).

Edit: I enjoyed the first episode. It was funny to see the UN in Hetalia discussing a crazy plan of the USA. I remembered all that Star Wars Shield thing. AND there was Spain, trying to calm things!

Last edited by Zaresh; 2009-01-31 at 09:23.
Zaresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-31, 04:52   Link #277
Solais
Youkai of Coincidence

First episode was fast and weird. And that's good.

Those who are offended by Hetalia have nothing better to do than bashing the series? Come on, I could be offended too, how the relationship between Hungary and Austria is all wrong (we only sought Austria's help once, then they conquered us, and basically raped us, and we loved that they've left), but it's cute, and it doesn't bother me at all.
Solais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-31, 12:10   Link #278
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Here's sarcastic thing to say to those Koreans who are trying to take down everything Hetalia.

I pity the fools who don't understand the shows about the satire of country stereotypes, i do!

I pity the fools who will be so pwn by all of the world fans of Hetalia after the fools fail to stop Hetalia, I do!

I pity the fools who thought taking down this anime will make make them famous heroes when it makes them villains and superfools, and that's true!

And i pity the fools who try to mess with Mr T!
Old 2009-01-31, 14:05   Link #279
ipernorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Here's sarcastic thing to say to those Koreans who are trying to take down everything Hetalia.

I pity the fools who don't understand the shows about the satire of country stereotypes, i do!

I pity the fools who will be so pwn by all of the world fans of Hetalia after the fools fail to stop Hetalia, I do!

I pity the fools who thought taking down this anime will make make them famous heroes when it makes them villains and superfools, and that's true!

And i pity the fools who try to mess with Mr T!
I feel pity for you for being born in such a pitiful world then!
Old 2009-01-31, 16:06   Link #280
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
I feel pity for you for being born in such a pitiful world then!
You do realize i was making a joke?

Tags
comedy