AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2004-10-04, 22:42   Link #1
jay3k
KYO

gundam seed = remake of gundam 0079 ???

i have just watched the first gundam series and found that gundam seed copied most of the plots from gundam and u can also find resemblance for most characters from both series like kira and amuro and also char and that guy with mask from seed (forgot the name). Gundam seed like almost like the remake of the first gundam series.

And after i watched the preview for gundam seed destiny and that gundam also full copied tat gundam from the first series how it can be separated into 3 parts and also looks almost the same as well
jay3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-04, 22:46   Link #2
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

That's one of the reason's I've become disinterested in the Gundam franchise, at this point all they're really doing is rehashing and recycling previous plots and characters.

Oh, the original Gundam wasn't the 0079 series. It was called Mobile Suit Gundam.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-04, 23:10   Link #3
Timeless Enigma
Tsushima Masaki

I found Gundam SEED very closely related to Gundam X. Then again... I've only ever seen Wing, X and SEED. Yes, I'm unenlightened.
Old 2004-10-04, 23:11   Link #4
Sanjuronord
セクシーなパイロット

To be blunt, that was the idea....
Sanjuronord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-05, 00:48   Link #5
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
Yes, Sunrise apparently intends to make SEED the new UC Gundam. They felt quite free to snag bits and pieces of the stories from 0079, Zeta, and a few other things and stick them into a new series.

I kinda hope this doesn't preclude new UC stuff, and that they get over this phase soon. SEED should be new and different, not a UC rehash.
microlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-05, 01:14   Link #6
Pepperidge
Dissatisfied Canadian

Send a message via AIM to Pepperidge Send a message via MSN to Pepperidge
The point of the CE Universe was so Sunrise could keep the Gundam franchise going reasonably strong without driving the UC timeline into the ground or having to pump out half-baked alternate universes every year.
Pepperidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-05, 01:33   Link #7
Panon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperidge
The point of the CE Universe was so Sunrise could keep the Gundam franchise going reasonably strong without driving the UC timeline into the ground or having to pump out half-baked alternate universes every year.
Uh.. the UC was driven in the ground long ago. That's why it's been dead for over a decade.

I hope the Zeta movies are just a nostalga flirtation, because I most certainly don't want the UC back.
Panon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-05, 01:35   Link #8
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Well, the first half of SEED does indeed resemble the original Gundam quite a lot, but then it starts all those crazy stuff with Lacus and whatever...

SEED Destiny looks to be starting like Z Gundam as well, but I guess they'll pull some new crazy stuff later on...
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-05, 02:04   Link #9
srb
I can see time itself!

Send a message via MSN to srb
Destiny also wins the prize for Making No Sense What So Ever in the mechanical department.

The Impulse is a waste of research and production funds if I ever saw one. With Saviour and Gaia they have two high-performance prototypes for space/air use and general/ground use. The League Militaire had a use for the core block system in the Victory Gundam since it was important to preserve good pilots and it gave it a surprise advantage in battle, like detaching the top fighter and having it kamikaze into a hangar and stuff like that. ZAFT and PLANT has the engineering and scientific knowledge bar none due to the fact that they are Coordinators and obviously have very good industrial output - just see how many GuAIZ they could crank out in a short time. They are not a group that uses guerilla warfare, and the Impulse core block system just seems expensive and unneeded when you compare to the technology used in the other mobile suits. I can understand the need for mission packs when there's a limit on the amount of mobile suits you can have, but I really don't understand the core block system of the Impulse. They might as well have started limited production of the Regenerate if they wanted stuff to combine.

But of course, as we all know - super robots who combine from different parts sell a lot to the kids.
srb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-05, 03:06   Link #10
CalamitiesEnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by srb
I really don't understand the core block system of the Impulse.
It looks cool. Thats as far it goes for Destiny and the mechs. The storyline should be simple, the new primister for Z.A.F.T allows the EA to steal the new mechs so he as an excuse to fight and shin lateron is torn between the truth and lies.
CalamitiesEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-05, 08:16   Link #11
srb
I can see time itself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalamitiesEnd
It looks cool. Thats as far it goes for Destiny and the mechs. The storyline should be simple, the new primister for Z.A.F.T allows the EA to steal the new mechs so he as an excuse to fight and shin lateron is torn between the truth and lies.
Well, the Saviour and the Gaia makes sense from a MS standpoint. Chaos and Abyss could be seen as curious experiments but aren't eligible for mass or even limited production like the Saviour and Gaia. Possibly in very limited quantities for aces who can handle the Chaos gunpods, but other than that it would be better to use those funds on Saviour, Gaia as well as the new Zakus to complement these high-powered units.
Old 2004-10-13, 12:07   Link #12
Rias

Destiny looks does look similar to Zeta, right now...

but what I learned from watching Seed is, treat it like an anime; then it's not too bad. Once you start to think of it as an Gundam series...it just became an stirfry of old ideas/gimmicks...
Rias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-13, 12:19   Link #13
MrBrown

The whole point of Seed was to bring in new audience to the franchise... Previously, Bandai had tried to keep franchise going by doing differents kind of series (which is how AU got born in the 1st place). However, with Seed, they just decided to keep the merchanside pretty much the same, but change the audience to sell it to. Seeing as Seed is/was pretty popular in Japan, their plan seems to be working so far.

The veteran gundam fans are still there, those are the people Bandai is doing the Zeta movies for. However, these people mostly bring Bandai money through other merchandise, such as models, video games, books, etc (at least half of these stuff that gets released in Japan every year is still mostly based on the original series). In Japan, the majority of these people are UC fans, and while they're interested in every new series, they regard the original stuff above it.

That's my interpretation of Bandai's plans for the franchise, anyways. So if you think Seed looks like <some past gundam show>, boo boo, you're not the target audience!
MrBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-15, 22:55   Link #14
Keppers

Wing was the first series I ever saw. after that I was able to catch some of the original series (but not all of it unfortunatly), 08th MS team, 0080, and some of 0083. I didn't like G-Gundam so I didn't watch much of it at all. Other then G, I thought they were all good... very good in fact. But of all the Gundam I've seen to date, Seed is my favorite, and I'm looking forward to Seed-D. Episode 1 was great . Everyone has their opinions, and this is mine.

... some day I hope I get the chance to see 0079, Zeta, ZZ, and Char's counterstrike (or whatever its called) all together.

Robots are cool, Giant Robots are cooler, and Gundam has the best there is
Keppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-16, 21:15   Link #15
sperry

Send a message via AIM to sperry
Quote:
Originally Posted by srb
Well, the Saviour and the Gaia makes sense from a MS standpoint. Chaos and Abyss could be seen as curious experiments but aren't eligible for mass or even limited production like the Saviour and Gaia. Possibly in very limited quantities for aces who can handle the Chaos gunpods, but other than that it would be better to use those funds on Saviour, Gaia as well as the new Zakus to complement these high-powered units.
There's no real evidence, but as for Aybss, I'm thinking it might be a water-use MS. It's MA form looks really boat-ish like, plus the blue color(but I guess that doesn't really say anything) suggests, at least to me, that it might be a water superiority suit. If it isn't, then I truly don't understand why that MA is shaped the way it is. It would make sense, in a way- Saviour is the air-use suit, Gaia the ground, Abyss the water, and Chaos the all around, general purpose suit.(Similar to Duel, kind of).

Yes, it's true that there aren't that many water-based battles, so it would be better in the long run to produce more Saviour and Gaia, but I think, if my assumptions are correct(which they probably aren't), that it might be worth it for Zaft to produce at least a few Abyss.
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-16, 21:56   Link #16
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
There's no real evidence, but as for Aybss, I'm thinking it might be a water-use MS. It's MA form looks really boat-ish like, plus the blue color(but I guess that doesn't really say anything) suggests, at least to me, that it might be a water superiority suit. If it isn't, then I truly don't understand why that MA is shaped the way it is. It would make sense, in a way- Saviour is the air-use suit, Gaia the ground, Abyss the water, and Chaos the all around, general purpose suit.(Similar to Duel, kind of).
According to the official site, Abyss's MA is indeed for water use. Saviour's MA is for aerial combat, Gaia's MA is for ground-based combat, and Chaos's MA is for Space-based combat. So you're pretty close.
Old 2004-10-18, 11:58   Link #17
pyu
Crouchety Old Man

Send a message via MSN to pyu
Quote:
That's one of the reason's I've become disinterested in the Gundam franchise, at this point all they're really doing is rehashing and recycling previous plots and characters.
Actually, as a big Gundam UC fan and as someone who understood the UC timeline from playing Super Robot Wars, I'm more bemused by the recycling part done by the producers. I guess its the rather cheesy ending (at least I found it cheesy, come on, dropping an asteroid on Earth, while the two protagonist of the UC century gets squished to bits...) of Char's Counterattack.

The mental image I got when I first watched Seed and realise the massive similarities between it and the various UC series and later when I heard they were churning out another universe similar to UC was of a final "Athrun's Couterattack" whenever I see Athrun = Char = Quattro and Kira = Amuro (though its not really true anyway).

Too bad there's no direct equivalent to Bright Noah yet.

The only disappointing thing about Seed was that how all the main mechs (the ones piloted by any characters of note) were Gundam designs. The venerable Zaku design is just cannon fodder for it. No one remembers how it eventually evolved to become the Szasabi. Maybe everyone wants a Gundam model and not a Zaku...

I guess that will change in Destiny.
pyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-18, 12:25   Link #18
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry

Yes, it's true that there aren't that many water-based battles, so it would be better in the long run to produce more Saviour and Gaia, but I think, if my assumptions are correct(which they probably aren't), that it might be worth it for Zaft to produce at least a few Abyss.
You are completely correct... What a genius you are! Here, have a cookie!

Like brightman said, it's official.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyu
The only disappointing thing about Seed was that how all the main mechs (the ones piloted by any characters of note) were Gundam designs. The venerable Zaku design is just cannon fodder for it. No one remembers how it eventually evolved to become the Szasabi. Maybe everyone wants a Gundam model and not a Zaku...

I guess that will change in Destiny.
Yes...I never refer to myself as a "Gundam" fan because I LOVE THE ZEON MS AND GENERALLY HATED (most of) THE GUNDAMS--MONO-EYE AND JOINTED-TUBES AND SPIKEY SHOULDER PADS = WINNAR!

Last edited by sarcasteak; 2004-10-18 at 12:43. Reason: BECAUSE I CAN! XD
sarcasteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-18, 12:41   Link #19
srb
I can see time itself!

It's funny though that the Zeon made a better MS than the RX-78's that were flying around - the Galbaldy Alpha. Heck, it was so good that the feddies took over the project after the war and made the Galbaldy Beta a part of their forces. You don't even need a hand to count the number of RX-78's in Zeta. The four GP RX-78's in Stardust Memory (Gerbera Tetra is actually the GP-04 but in a Zeon style outer armor) were all destroyed and were more like test-beds for technology (the 360-degree view monitor used in the Alex in the OYW was tested again in the GP03 and later became standard in all Z-era suits), and the Sazabi was the better mobile suit compared to the Nu Gundam.

And mono-eyes = win. Poor Nise Gundam gets no friends
Old 2004-10-18, 12:56   Link #20
Blaat

I think that's because Nise White Base, that one looked so odd.
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote