AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

View Poll Results: Higurashi Episode 16 Rating
Perfect 10 25 33.78%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 25 33.78%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 22.97%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 6.76%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.35%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.35%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-07-18, 11:42   Link #1
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Higurashi Episode 16 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Higurashi no Naku Koroni, Episode 16.

Thread Guidelines
  • No telling or asking for RAWs.
  • Try to keep spoilers from the Game or Manga out of the anime thread. If you need to in reply to someone with a reference to the Game / Manga, either PM them or use Spoiler tags (see example below).
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if not aired.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Try to keep the discussion on topic and future episode spoilers out of the thread whenever possible.

Spoiler Tag Usage

Using Spoiler Tags is easy. Using this...

[spoiler=title]Don't forget to use the spoiler title[/spoiler]

....will get you this...

Spoiler for title:

ADDITIONAL RULES FOR Higurashi no Naku Koroni
  • Make sure you read the English wikipedia article for Higurashi no Naku Koroni before you ask questions!!!
  • Feel free to utilize the info on the TIPS section as a complement to this series.
  • Feel free to share your theories and speculations. In fact, I encourage you to do so as this is what makes this series interesting.
  • I am designating Sushi-Y and Freakman to lead the discussion in the correct path without spoilers as they have played the game in advance. I put confidence in them that they will recognize a member has spilled the beans too far if any other members has begun to play the game.
  • SPOILERS FAR ADVANCED THAN THE CURRENT AIRED ANIME EPISODE WILL NOT BE TOLERATED. THIS INCLUDES THOSE IN SPOILER TAGS!!!. People tend to peek at spoiler tags; especially when they do not know such tag is meant for the episode, only to find it spilling the beans too far advanced in the game storyline.
Old 2006-07-18, 20:29   Link #2
Rasuberi
Give me things to draw!!!

Send a message via AIM to Rasuberi
Aa, now I'm confused. I enjoyed the episode, but now I don't know what to think of any of my theories when it comes to Shion. Shion~

Spoiler:

Old 2006-07-18, 20:45   Link #3
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Holy cow, is Hinamizawa famous for producing people with superhuman powers or something? People getting tossed/blown against walls like they're made of paper...

But still, hurting my beloved Satoko... Shion... 許せない

===================
Now then, for some general comments.

To start off, I'd like to say that the flow of the episode was not bad. It's much more composed compared to the earlier chapters (where events flew by at light speeds) However, there were a few points in the episode were the development would suddenly jump ahead, leave you hanging for a bit before you can catch up. For game players like me, we can follow the story easily enough (by filling in the missing spots with what we already know from the game), but I wonder if the anime watchers can keep up with the story. It's also possible that all the swappings between Mion and Shion can become confusing too.

Oh the other hand, the animation quality was quite stable. Satoshi's design and voice were both pretty spot on (Kobayashi Yuu was a slightly surprising choice though ( ・ω・ )). Shion was very cute too. ^^

Spoiler for episode specific comments:
Old 2006-07-18, 23:46   Link #4
Hanatori
Yarr.

Actually it wasn't that bad, I could tell that Shion liked Satoshi from the first time they were together. o_o; Satoshi~ I was caught off-guard by his voice, though. But I like him already.

Crazy me, I've already watched this 3 times. >_<; I rarely do that with raws.

I wonder what will happen between Mion and Satoshi now that Shion didn't quite give him the best impression...

So... Keiichi does not show up at all? ._.;
Old 2006-07-19, 13:45   Link #5
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Most likely the best adaptation of the game to anime episode I have seen recently for Higurashi. Sure, it still left out some pieces here and there, but this one was paced quite evenly.

I was surprised to hear that they used Kobayashi Yuu for Satoshi. Hmm, perhaps she'll was the one selected in advance for Satoshi in future drama CDs? Nice to know as she is becoming one of my favorite seiyuus ever since her excellent role as Secchan in those Negima CDs.

Mika-P crying for over 2 and a half minutes! Now that's a great professional voice acting work right there!

And I guess my theory was indeed correct: kids living in rural areas back before the eras of video games are more energetic and powerful. Must be the excercise and they get everyday going out into the woods.
Old 2006-07-19, 18:11   Link #6
USCPharmacist

and level up...killing oyashiro sama's bits
Old 2006-07-19, 20:12   Link #7
Flame-X
Anti-fan

HOLY CRAP! O.O

lol one little push, everyone gets tossed XD
Old 2006-07-20, 11:51   Link #8
USCPharmacist

I am only basing this on the anime, so the game player might disagree with me, but I really hate Shion now. I think she is an obsessive, compulsive, selfish bastard who only think about herself and not other. Also she is either really dumb or her obsession made her handling the situation with Satoshi very poorly. I think part of the reason of her selfishness was due to her rich girl experience and isolation. She thought that she was the most important person in the world from her statue and she felt she was a victim because of her isolation so the world owed her something.

There was nothing wrong for her to fall in love with Satoshi at first sight. However she then became "jealous" of Satoko. Yes, she claimed she hated her because Satoko caused suffering for Satoshi but I think that's a self denial. She didn't like her because Satoko was too clining to Satoshi, so that Satoshi had to pay all of his attention to her instead of Shion. I meant, any normal person, like Keiichi hahaha, would see that the villains were the uncle and aunt, and perhaps the villagers. How could she blame Satoko for getting scare from abusive foster parents. Shion should've call children service first instead of beating to crap out of Satoko for crying (although a crying kid can be very annoying but that's not an excuse eheheh). If Shion really love Satoshi the smart thing to do is to first lose the disguise. I understand the situation but she was inconsidered for Mion if she continue to use her image for stupid thing. Second, Shion should help out Satoshi to take care of his sister first. It didn't matter if that'll hellp the situation but at least Satoshi would be grateful. It was true that Satoshi might really want to ditch his sister but Shion would be stupid to think he'll do it publically. but I think that Shion just didn't have any patient, she wanted Satoshi now, instead of spending time to woo him and also sacrified a bit of herself to help Satoshi. She acted as if she wanted to eliminate everything in Satoshi's life so he can only think about her. That's very selfish if you ask me. Of course, if people were not fucked up in Higurashi, we wouldn't have all these crazy murder to begin with
Old 2006-07-20, 15:34   Link #9
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCPharmacist
I am only basing this on the anime, so the game player might disagree with me
No, I think those are very reasonable observations. Shion is actually a very intelligent person, she's just blind and impulsive when it comes to love.

Your observations are pretty much the same as what I had when I was at this point in the game. It's a good mindset to have because you can see how your opinion will change as the chapter progresses. It'd be interesting to hear what people think about Shion right now and hear from them again after the chapter ends.
Old 2006-07-20, 18:26   Link #10
USCPharmacist

It would probably takes a lot to change my opinion, even if Shion past is really tragic because being in a tough situation and falling in love doesn't give you the right to beat the crap out of someone else unprovoke (no, crying loud is not a justifiable offense). My beef is not really the violent, because I watch Higurashi for that but the fact that she pick on Satoko instead of the Aunt and Uncle.

Does she really believe that beating Satoshi's sister in front of everybody will make the supposely compasionate brother find you hot, in your sister appearence? hahaha lol
Old 2006-07-21, 08:22   Link #11
TougeSil80
I have enough, I'm gone.

This ep is a little confusing for me. Is this the beginning of the Answer Arc, or is this still Question Arc? Thanks.
Old 2006-07-21, 10:12   Link #12
LostBlue
祭囃子

Answer. Answer Arcs don't solve everything in one go. But they do reveal A LOT of info and completely crush incorrect theories.
Old 2006-07-24, 17:30   Link #13
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

So the first answer arc begins, yay for a lot more Shion. Its good to finally get to see Satoshi, not shocking at all how people thought Keiichi was him.. i'd say its only the hair color/eyes that are different.

I was pretty much just waiting for Shion to snap at Satoko, you could just see it coming from the Rena & Shion talk. You just gotta feel sorry for Shion & Satoko.. ;_;

Next episode looks like its gonna get even more crazy, & i'm missing Keiichi.. ^^;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
Spoiler for episode specific comments:
Spoiler:

Last edited by Shiroth; 2006-07-24 at 18:04.
Old 2006-07-24, 17:50   Link #14
Rias

This epsiode made me think about the events in Watanagashi-hen...the fact that Shion can take Mion's place, without anyone noticing...makes me wonder about the events that happened at the last epsiode...

I wonder how Rena ties into this, after all, this arc is supposed to solve the Onikakushi-hen, no?
Old 2006-07-24, 17:54   Link #15
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rias
This epsiode made me think about the events in Watanagashi-hen...the fact that Shion can take Mion's place, without anyone noticing...makes me wonder about the events that happened at the last epsiode...

I wonder how Rena ties into this, after all, this arc is supposed to solve the Onikakushi-hen, no?
Read the English wikipedia article for Higurashi no Naku Koroni carefully:

Quote:
Meakashi-hen (目明し編, Detective Chapter?), (Released December 30, 2004)
Answer to Watanagashi-hen. It is practically the same as Watanagashi-hen, however this story is told from a different person's perspective which allows the player to understand the mysteries of that chapter.
Note the word "practically the same" as well. It denotes a hint.
Old 2006-07-24, 18:14   Link #16
BakaOnna

Now I understand why Shion was the gamers' least favorite character out of the main ones. She was sure a violent girl. Like others have mentioned, people from Hinamizawa have super strength.

Anyway, this was the first 10 I've given in a while, since episode 8 and ep. 4 before that. I really enjoyed seeing events through Shion's POV, and I also liked the sister relationship the twins have with each other. But I do miss Keiichi since he's one of my faves.
Old 2006-07-24, 18:25   Link #17
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelsama
Spoiler:
If that's the case, you might as well buy the game and try to go through it yourself that way. ^^; If you already have a gist of the story from the anime anyway.

There were a few memorable moments from the game (for me) that this episode covered:
Spoiler:
Old 2006-07-24, 18:30   Link #18
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
If that's the case, you might as well buy the game and try to go through it yourself that way. ^^; If you already have a gist of the story from the anime anyway.
My japanese could be able to get me through the game.. maybe the PS2 version.

Quote:
There were a few memorable moments from the game (for me) that this episode covered:
Spoiler:
Thanks a lot Sushi, i'll probably rewatch the episode with these tracks playing at the right times, see what i get. ^_^
Old 2006-07-24, 18:38   Link #19
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

I expected the answer arc to cover the same time period as Watanagashi but once again this series managed to surprise me. For the first time I could not wait and watched the raw first but didn't post here before watching the sub to get a clearer picture of the events. Impressive episode - I voted 9, not 10 because of the stupid incredibly strong athletes that seem to live in Hinamizawa according to the anime scriptwriters.

Spoiler:

Old 2006-07-24, 19:18   Link #20
Paracelsus

Awesome episode, lots of answers, but still, I wonder:

Spoiler:

And Sushi-Y: I think Satoko became so strong and dependable, thanks to that wrestling match with True Mion <.<
Closed Thread