3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-09-23, 08:09   Link #141
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
This is little better than a shipping war. The important detail is that there is a valid in story reason why Subaru became attracted to Emilia in the first place. There justifiably is a good reason for Rem too, but that was not the author's choice. Is that choice better or not? Hard to say. Subaru went to hell and back because he wanted to save Emilia. The basic character motivation is not there otherwise and we wouldn't really have the story we did have here.

There is also a big gap in the screen time department between Emilia and Rem. It makes sense why most viewers like her character significantly more. You have an underdeveloped character who (in her own words) hasn't really done anything for Subaru versus the person who will actually sacrifice herself for him. Emilia has been kept more mysterious on purpose it seems.
Well, this is roughly why I was surprised (and mildly disappointed) by Subaru choice. But I would like make clear I never bashed Emilia, Subaru nor their ship on that matter. Do I find alternative better and making better sense? Yes, but It's not like I can't respect his choice, even if I don't look like it.

If Subaru pulled KInM or School days on either of girl than would be bashing in order...
Old 2016-09-23, 08:17   Link #142
moridin84
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllegalGoddess View Post
But there is no closure at all.

I was not watching a romantic slice of life story about Subaru and Emilia. I was watching a twisty portal fantasy that had a lot of questions for the viewer to think over.
I got almost zero answers.
Why is Subaru in this world? What exactly was the mystery behind the first shots? What is the witch exactly? What is her connection to Subaru? Why do Puck and Emilia have that kind of contract? Does Julius have a similar one, if not, why not, how does it work in their world anyway? Why does she look exactly like the witch (and no, being a possible vessel is not the answer). Why does the witch keep bringing Subaru back when he is energetically opposing her plans? What are her real plans? What about the assassin who liked guts? Who hired her? What’s the deal with the Dragon?
I could go on.

Pretty much none of the questions--including those poised by the very structure of the script--got answers. The open ending is so open three White Whales could swim through it.

For me, the ending is ruined not because I'm a LN reader (I'm not), but because I didn't get any answers to the questions that hooked me into watching the anime. When a story piles up secrets and twists, revealing them is a big part of its resolution. Quoting a comment from a reviewer's blog--it's like we were watching a mystery and never learned who the murderer was.

Same with the worldbuilding, we get hints and glimpses here and there but they are never gathered into a global picture.
The story isn't over. It is bigger than at 26 episodes.

Did you get mad after the first Harry Potter movie because they didn't explain the deal with Voldemort? Or after reading any book that is part of a series?
moridin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-23, 08:29   Link #143
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by moridin84 View Post
The story isn't over.
Yeah. I mean, is that really that hard for people to figure out?

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-23, 09:16   Link #144
Azurial

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Is it because don't they have intelligence of a goldfish? XD that why they cant figure it out hahahah im not trying to insult but it's a true . Having cyber wars is really childish things to do tbh please talk with respect is good for both side. ♥
Azurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-23, 09:28   Link #145
Applehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Well, this is roughly why I was surprised (and mildly disappointed) by Subaru choice. But I would like make clear I never bashed Emilia, Subaru nor their ship on that matter. Do I find alternative better and making better sense? Yes, but It's not like I can't respect his choice, even if I don't look like it.

If Subaru pulled KInM or School days on either of girl than would be bashing in order...
That only what she believes though, Subaru didn't believe he did anything for Rem to be so attached to him either. Both Subaru and Emilia have shown a habit self-depreciating themselves and don't realize the effect their actions have on others. They very similar in that regard as highlighted by the ending narration of reconliation:

Spoiler for Ep 25 cut narration:

Well I wasn't surprised at his choice because he had only come this far for Emilia. If he simply dropped that then, what been the point of their meeting and everything said to Emilia back then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Exactly.

Last edited by Applehell; 2016-09-23 at 10:52.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-23, 09:49   Link #146
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurial View Post
Is it because don't they have intelligence of a goldfish? XD that why they cant figure it out hahahah im not trying to insult but it's a true . Having cyber wars is really childish things to do tbh please talk with respect is good for both side. ♥
I'm not sure, but are you trying to say I was being disrespectful in some kind of way? That's not what I was trying to do, there.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-23, 10:06   Link #147
Tenzen12

∆∆ Well putting aside our disagreement, for Emilia who would help complete stranger even with full hands own troubles is that weird for Subaru saving her? I don't think there two really got to truly understood each other , but she is worth all that effort regardless if romantic feelings are involved or not.

To be honest for long time I hope to read/watch something where Hero barge into villain fortress after long g struggle, save princess and ask her to fund his marriage with female Knight who shed blood by his side whole time to save aforementioned princess ass and it looked to me I finally hit the jackpot...
Old 2016-09-23, 10:17   Link #148
DemonneoPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaneo View Post
Before y'all go and get this thread closed, one thing that I'm interested in is, before Betelguise possessed Subaru, he told Julius to remove his spirit from him, was this because it would have been dangerous for Julius and his spirit, or because Subaru didn't want him to maybe somehow figure out what was going on?
Otherwise Julius would learn about best girl Satella and Subaru's curse, since he was connected with him. She would probably kill Julius in the same way she killed Emilia because of that.

EDIT:
Btw, i find the lack of love for Satella in this forum trully slothfull and outrageous. She beats Emilia and Rem's ass by a long shot :P
DemonneoPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-23, 10:34   Link #149
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Well, it's hard to get excited for a non-entity bigger scope villain.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-23, 10:47   Link #150
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
all we know is that she's a silver-haired half-elf, and that she and other Witches are the closest things to deities. To compare with Dark Souls, they are like Bearers of the Lord Souls.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-23, 11:10   Link #151
DemonneoPT

Yet, the few times she appeared made me more excited than ever. Imagine if she was a regular char
Old 2016-09-23, 11:12   Link #152
Applehell

True, she is pretty hype whenever she does show.

Poor Betelgeuse tho.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-23, 12:59   Link #153
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
True, she is pretty hype whenever she does show.

Poor Betelgeuse tho.
Beetlejuice is not even husbando material.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-23, 13:41   Link #154
Metaneo
Anime Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonneoPT View Post
Yet, the few times she appeared made me more excited than ever. Imagine if she was a regular char
I really hope the story gets to a point where she's not just this massively evil/dangerous character that's kept (mostly) in the background.
Metaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-23, 14:44   Link #155
Joachim
et tu, brute?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Dear lord, where do I even begin deconstructing this?

Ok lets start with pointing out that I never actually mentioned my preference, so you saying I prefer Emilia makes me wonder if you paid any attention at all to the things I said.

Also if you have any example of me being passive aggressive, please quote me because I have no clue what you're talking about.

I'm also not sure what gave you the idea that I am annoyed by Rem destroying female characters in popularity polls. I was merely confused (and still am) at the fact that this somehow means that Subaru being in love with Emilia is a crime.
it looks like we are completely on the wrong train of thoughts, either i get your point wrong in your earlier reply or we are off on a bad start, but anyway, lets leave it as it is.

Quote:

Did you get mad after the first Harry Potter movie because they didn't explain the deal with Voldemort? Or after reading any book that is part of a series?
interestingly or rather unfortunately a lot of re:zero reviewer/critics does thinks like this

regarding re:zero, i am not sure what i was expecting from the delayed preview of episode 25 (which apparently aired today), i did set up myself to something "bigger" and ended up with nothing. Well of course the preview is a massive spoiler so that might be why they delayed it, but oh man that did send a lot of wrong signal to me.

Last edited by LKK; 2016-09-23 at 14:56. Reason: posts merged. don't post multiple times in a row. edit instead.
Joachim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-23, 16:10   Link #156
FrejaOne

Quote:

Did I miss the announcement of this being a 104 ep anime or something?
We got only those 25 eps, we even got a super trolly "That's All This Story Is" in the last frame of the last ep.
Sure as hell if the first Harry Potter movie ended with a subtitle saying "bye guys this story is over" with absolutely no news of the sequel I'd be pissed.

Either do a proper full length adaptation or give this an original ending--with closure.
FrejaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-23, 16:36   Link #157
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Full length adaptation of what, exactly? There's barely anything left to work with.
Old 2016-09-23, 16:43   Link #158
DemonneoPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllegalGoddess View Post
Did I miss the announcement of this being a 104 ep anime or something?
We got only those 25 eps, we even got a super trolly "That's All This Story Is" in the last frame of the last ep.
Sure as hell if the first Harry Potter movie ended with a subtitle saying "bye guys this story is over" with absolutely no news of the sequel I'd be pissed.

Either do a proper full length adaptation or give this an original ending--with closure.
That makes no sense. To give an original ending in order to explain all of Re:Zero's story you would have to create an anime original plot instead..lol. Plus, everyone here should know how this industry works. This was never supposed to be a finished product at first place. It was only made to promote the LN! Luckily we will have a second season, but i seriously doubt of that given the last episode title... i will wait for the manga and maybe in a few years i can grasp new content beyond the anime story!
Old 2016-09-23, 16:49   Link #159
FrejaOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
I agree, those are legitimate grievances.

I think Re:Zero has a problem of scale. It's obvious that the writer intended it to be an epic like Game of Thrones or something from the start. A true ending would be a resolution to whatever mission Subaru was sent to this world for, and to the royal selection. All other goals that Subaru has had are just stepping stones to that, and can't really make for a proper ending.

And in the way we have the witch's cult, of which only 1/6 has been addressed, some kind of subplot hinted at by Elsa in the beginning, and actually dealing with the other candidates which has barely begun. And it's reasonable to assume that the TRUE story will be even greater in scale.

There is a real possibility that in anime form, the story will always remain unfinished. So I'm not sure how I'm supposed to rate it. Sure, the season got some kind of ending, but if it ends here I can't really recommend it. It's like if the LOTR movies were cancelled after the first one. Yay, the hobbits made it to Rivendell! What a great ending! Not. If it ends here, I'd have to conclude that the show sucks.
Yes. Exactly. And you are right, it's not a new problem for anime. DIMENSION W is similar. There are probably 100 titles with a similar execution but Re:Zero is especially jarring because it needs its twists and mysteries to be effective. It's easier for a typical shounen story, because it's more about the journey so it doesn't need to surprise the reader quite so much and can be more episodic.

Another thing is that we are not a single step closer to finding out the answers. It's not like a partial ending where some questions are answered but new questions appear. For example, the witch situation is exactly as it was. Subaru did not find out anything else, he was boggled down in the local problems.
Though by now I've read some spoilers and--no worries, not going to spoil anything here--I got the impression that the scale is not just large, it's positively giant. Like they'd need a Naruto length adaptation to cover it all.
FrejaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-23, 16:53   Link #160
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Don't you think you're exaggerating the scope a little? There's not that much going on.

There's the succession thingy, and there's the witch. That's about it.