AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > sola

Notices

Old 2007-04-14, 04:43   Link #261
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Not really, the AIR OP turns into a fast jangly piece... it does remind me a bit of some of the secondary OST tunes (not quite as soaring as Azora) but it actually reminds me somewhat of a few of the tunes in Tsukuyomi Moon Phase (sad, mournfully tragic, but hopeful wordless vocals... though those were done in sort of a waltz).

Given the "romance across the divide of race" theme which echoes petopetosan (from whence some of the creators came), I'd say its more of a coinflip as to whether a successful romance is to be had or not (it could be a bittersweet romance; as transient as life... oops, going all gothic now).
Old 2007-04-14, 05:21   Link #262
kct

Send a message via MSN to kct
Talk about totally being in the dark about this D: . Seems like we're getting more questions than answering them by now.
kct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 08:19   Link #263
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Some extra things to note about Episode 1:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Wikipedia entry on Kanon
Nayuki Minase (水瀬 雪, Minase Nayuki?)
Nayuki is a girl of Yuichi's age, and she is his first cousin; he moves into her house at the beginning of the story. She has always been in love with him and must learn how to deal with her feelings, especially with the threat that he may fall for one of the other girls. Nayuki talks noticeably slower than those around her and has constant trouble waking up in the mornings.Voiced by: Mariko Kōda

Makoto Sawatari (沢渡 琴, Sawatari Makoto)
Makoto is a young girl who attacks Yuichi out-of-the-blue in the middle of town early on in the story. She has lost her memories but despite this she is sure that she holds a grudge against Yuichi from when he last visited the city. Makoto has a mischievous side and constantly plays pranks on Yuichi. She has an affinity towards the spring and once wished that it would stay spring forever. Voiced by: Mayumi Iizuka
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Wikipedia entry on Sola
Mana Ishizuki (石月真名, Ishizuki Mana)
Voiced by: Yōko Honda
Mana is Yorito's friend from school; she often gets annoyed at Yorito for how he spends so much time taking photographs of the sky instead of spend more time with his sister.
See the link yet? Moreover, the literal translation of Mana's name in kanji is, "real name".

What kind of name is that for a girl?!

Moreover, it can be established that Mana was cooking at Yorito's home; the photo frames of the sky are on the wall if you look closely, thus it's Yorito's home for certain.

On the same note, after Mana told Yorito that there was no ginger left, we see him biking out in search of a store which stocks them at such a late hour. What I'm intrigued by, is his exclamation at 11:03-11:05, "Mana, you dummy!"

Now I'm left wondering, why would he say something like that? Why was he expecting Mana to know more than him about the state of the foodstocks in the kitchen, as can be reasonably deduced by that exclamation? After all, he's the one who lives in that house, he shouldn't expect Mana, an osananajimi who's just stopping by to cook for him, to be clearer than him on the state of the foodstocks....unless she's the one who regularly does the groceries.

And if she's the one who regularly does the groceries, it can be reasonably deduced that she spends a lot of her time at his home....and perhaps that's even where she stays most of the time. So now I'm left wondering all the more; what the heck is the relationship between Yorito and Mana?! Considering the way they talk to each other, they're almost like an old married couple rather than teenagers in school.

Which is why I'm getting more and more worried, that Mana is going to turn out to be the Kaede-character in Sola......and I'd much prefer not to have psycho-moe complicating the whole deal in here, thank you very much. Sorry, Skane-sama.

EDIT: On another note, I think I read somewhere that there is a manga being released concurrently? Is that true?

If so, is a Chinese scanlation out for it already?

If so, then I'll like to take a crack at it.

Last edited by Ascaloth; 2007-04-14 at 08:43.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 08:46   Link #264
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

The problem with having Mana go down the psycho-moe path is that we've seen the nice-girl-turn-psycho-jilted-unrequited-lover before, so any repeat of it will seem trite, unless they somehow put a massive spin on it. I agree, though, one would hope that they'd write something better than that.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 08:52   Link #265
kct

Seriously, I'm NOT going to be very happy about seeing another Kaede, too many of these things has been going on for a while now, and given the direction of the writing...although I would rather toss the coin for Aono to play a more important role in matters regarding relationships with Yorito...

I'm seeing Mana more as some kind of Mariya though.
Old 2007-04-14, 08:54   Link #266
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by kct View Post
Seriously, I'm NOT going to be very happy about seeing another Kaede, although I would rather toss the coin for Aono to play a more important role in matters regarding relationships with Yorito...

I'm seeing Mana more as some kind of Mariya though.
Or perhaps another take on KyoAni's Nayuki. I much prefer everyone to get along.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 08:57   Link #267
kct

I'm hoping for something along the lines of good end, too many action animes for me.

Probably, because Aono is giving me some kind of Ayu vibe (latter part of Kanon 2006), except the fact that she is not comatose.

Maybe because Yorito is placing a far higher priority on Aono right now, other than Matsuri, obviously.
Old 2007-04-14, 09:03   Link #268
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

According to my internal "psycho-moe meter", Mana is dead-zero on the ratings. The only way she could be less psycho-moe is to be dead. I'm fairly confident in my psycho-moe detection, and Mana just doesn't register on the meter. I have been proven wrong about girls being psycho-moe, but I have yet to be proven wrong about girls that are not psycho-moe.

Short of a totally inept scripting, no producer worth his salt will fail to foreshadow psycho-moe. It's like the Death Flags and Tragedy Flags. There will be foreshadowing, and as of Ep02, there is NONE for a case of psycho-moe in Mana.

So no. Not Mana, I'm afraid. She fulfils the archetypes (either in part or full) for Childhood Friend, Elder Sister type, the Tomboy, etc... but not Yandere or its' ilk.

I don't even feel any romance between Mana and Yorito (so jealousy is not an issue either, at this point), and this is to be expected. The main pairing being focused on is Matsuri and Yorito. With no need to pander to fanboys, they can afford to relegate Mana to a true supporting role and not incur the wrath of fanboys lamenting over the lack of focus on "Mana's arc".

The way I see it, Mana is not helping Yorito for Yorito's sake, but for Aono's sake. Mana seems to be a close friend of Aono, and it reflects in the amount of time she spends with Aono (not to mention her little sister). So it would seem that Mana is helping Aono to take care of Yorito. Note that it is always Mana that drags Yorito to see Aono, not the other way round.

This is one of sola's strengths. The lack of need to "merge" multiple arcs into one coherent path. A lot of us are probably so used to actual renai-game-to-anime adaptations, that it might seem alien to us to see the other "choices" shunted into "mere" supporting roles.

Cheers.
Old 2007-04-14, 09:07   Link #269
kct

And sola is not a game to begin with (I'm not really into renai-game-to-anime adaptations most of the time).
Old 2007-04-14, 09:08   Link #270
raidou
Confused person

Send a message via MSN to raidou
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Or perhaps another take on KyoAni's Nayuki. I much prefer everyone to get along.
Agreed although it doesn't seem to be happening with the way Mana and Aono behave so far ><

The OP really gave Air vibes just like Skane mentioned earlier which made me more worried about tragic ending

13 episode would be perfect though at the rate they are going , more than that seems to be dragging on.
raidou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 09:16   Link #271
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kct View Post
And sola is not a game to begin with (I'm not really into renai-game-to-anime adaptations most of the time).
Well, according to an earlier post; sola is a parallel production of anime, manga and game. So there is a sola game, but the great thing is, we won't be biased by it when it comes to the anime, because the game is not out yet.

Cheers.
Old 2007-04-14, 09:26   Link #272
kct

Hence the word called 'begin' in my post , lol .

I wonder how the PS2 game would be like though.
Old 2007-04-14, 09:30   Link #273
raidou
Confused person

Well this might sound stupid but is Sola for PS2 going to be ren'ai game ?
Just wondering because i cant seems to find much info about it.

Hopefully they would make 2 different ending for manga and anime ^^ so either one can be tragic/happy and no one will be sad ;p

Edit:arggg kct posted faster
Old 2007-04-14, 09:36   Link #274
kct

I do not want to speculate too much about the game though, it would probably go more than the standard renai fare, if you ask me.
Old 2007-04-14, 10:09   Link #275
raidou
Confused person

For those that mention "Yorito closing a photo album with a picture of Matsuri in the OP scene" remind you of tragic ending ,

just imagine that person is not Yorito O.o, it might his son/grandchild or even Matsuri itself ;p in near future reminiscing about happy past ^^ (Photograph hobby also ) It help for me at least.

For the game , it would be nice if they mix up some photography element into the game play.
Old 2007-04-14, 10:23   Link #276
Susanou
.Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidou View Post
For those that mention "Yorito closing a photo album with a picture of Matsuri in the OP scene" remind you of tragic ending ,

just imagine that person is not Yorito O.o, it might his son/grandchild or even Matsuri itself ;p in near future reminiscing about happy past ^^ (Photograph hobby also ) It help for me at least.
Erhm, I don't want to ruin your mood but
Spoiler:
Susanou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 10:27   Link #277
raidou
Confused person

Well his child/grandchild could be wearing similar clothes ,i know what you mean ^^...

Just forcing that idea in my sleep last night lol so not to get depressed (exam+prospect of sola's tragic ending )

I will just go watch some akazukin for a break this weekend
Old 2007-04-14, 10:59   Link #278
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Watch the Weather

A Sky-Colored Umbrella

This anime would have fallen on deaf ears and blind eyes on me it it weren't that I watched the screen pics at Omniscient's blog.

Lately, several of the anime titles that I have picked up in the past years I came to notice them due to exposure at either Omniscient or wrex_japans' blogs.

And I am giving my thanks to Omni for blogging this title. The beginning to sola did not dissapoint me. As I suspected from a first glance at the characters' designs, the anime most likely was adapted from the game of the same title.

I would say that the suspense and action toward the end of episode one is the misleading device, and the true nature of the show lies on its lighthearted drama, shoujo, and slice-of-life content.

My thanks to J.C. staff (if it is the studio behind production) for animating the scenarios and in particular the beautiful effect to capture the real-life shades and hues of the weather at different phases of the day.

Memories of OtoBoku come to my mind everytime that I see the characters in particular for the eyes, which bare some resemblance to those of the OtoBoku characters.

My favorite character right now is Matsuri and then Aono. They have beautiful looks and design, and it is interesting that though seemingly normal at first glance they have a mystery aura roaming on them.

Spoiler:
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 11:00   Link #279
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Cute character design for Matsuri + Mamiko Noto as her seiyuu = Ultra Kawaii !!
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 11:36   Link #280
kct

Try to use the edit button, people would not like double-posting.

Tags
bishoujo, drama, nomad, romance, seinen, supernatural