AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-02-25, 13:42   Link #61
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I entirely endorse this assessment. I remember feeling the same way when I watched the first few episodes of Monster. Here was a show with adult characters in real locations engaged in serious dramatic conflicts. What is even more impressive about Monster is that I watched those 74 episodes in just the space of a few days; it was that compelling.
Old 2008-02-25, 18:26   Link #62
Qwazar

Mushishi might actually work.

However, I don't really think she'll get into anime. The way you are putting it, it seems, that shee agreed only to get her pet. Even if she manages to watch through all of it, most likely, it won't change her opinion (didn't for me)

Then again, if you made her watch the entire season of Mushishi, I doubt she could hate anime, as much as she does now.

Oh, and I doubt that you should show her Death Note. I loved it, but... Just call it a hunch.
Old 2008-02-26, 02:17   Link #63
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Actually, what kind of "mystery" is your wife looking for? I get the feeling that you're struggling against the "anime is for kids" prejudice, so shows like Death Note would probably turn her off. Personally, I found Death Note over-the-top and unrealistic after the first ten or so episodes. Not surprising really, given its target shounen demographic.

You described her as "uptight" and "close-minded" and a rabbit-lover eh? I sense she's someone who doesn't like violence or malevolence per se, in which case, Monster might not go down well with her. But if I'm wrong, then that is indeed a good series to showcase what anime is capable of.

However, if she's the type who enjoys shows that explore the "mysteries of life", then go with Mushishi and Haibane Renmei. Spirited Away is not mysterious, but it touches on a few themes of existentialism as well. Seirei no Moribito is more drama/adventure than it is mysterious, but it is an excellent series to show to get a newbie hooked to anime.

Other than those anime series, I'm hard-pressed to think of "crime mysteries" that do not include too much blood, gore or violence.
Old 2008-02-26, 02:21   Link #64
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I agree that Seirei no Moribito is an excellent drama/adventure without much mystery and is a great series to get hooked onto.

I really think you should change your genre...there isn't a lot of mystery anime that's also "friendly for beginners," or the ones that are (Monster, Death Note), they are over 24 episodes and your wife might lose interest easily.
Old 2008-02-26, 03:28   Link #65
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

myself yourself is a mild version of mystery
Old 2008-02-28, 01:15   Link #66
eXistenZ
pls..crac...anime need

I been looking and thinking and racking the brain.

Welcome To The NHK - conspiracy, comedy, romance, pychological, non bloody, but the occaisonal ecchi moment.
Closed Thread

Tags
wife