AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2009-12-04, 15:04   Link #21
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
What about the people like me who just have N/A listed since we're too lazy to answer the actual question
I presume you asked this question in jest, but, in reply, "N/A" is not a selectable option in the member search page. I presumed people who didn't answer the question at all fall into the "unspecified" category, but I really don't know how vBulletin treats them.

Quote:
Also it may interest monir to know that there are still people on this forum who mistake my gender on a daily basis
Do buns even have a gender?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-04, 19:21   Link #22
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Petition: ban everyone with Unspecified as their gender for being secretive and/or paranoid and stupid
You being paranoid and stupid about other people's sex is somehow different?

And what's with everyone being all shy in recent years. "Gender"?! the word you're looking for is "sex".

We may not have specified it but most are more then happy to tell you if you ask. I'm a guy, big deal. I'm sure most of us don't publicly display our sex since most conversations are not about sex and people are often too stupid to keep their minds off it with out help.
Old 2009-12-04, 20:08   Link #23
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
You being paranoid and stupid about other people's sex is somehow different?

And what's with everyone being all shy in recent years. "Gender"?! the word you're looking for is "sex".

We may not have specified it but most are more then happy to tell you if you ask. I'm a guy, big deal. I'm sure most of us don't publicly display our sex since most conversations are not about sex and people are often too stupid to keep their minds off it with out help.
The problem with saying sex is there's always someone who will write "Yes please."

Anyway, I don't see why it's necessary to know someone's gender to have a conversation with them on an internet forum. If one really cares just look at their profile. If it's not listed, pm them. Of course a lot of times the user name will give it away. If not, check the av and sig. If it's a moe girl, the poster is probably a guy, if it's a bishounen, it's probably a girl. Anything else flip a coin.
Old 2009-12-04, 20:19   Link #24
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

I too fail to see the point in having gender displayed in posts. My friends in animesuki are my friends because of who they are and what they say around here, not because of the amount of info in their profiles.

If you are uncertain about how to respond to someone on certain topics, just give them a neutral reply or use "if you are" whenever necessary.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2009-12-04 at 21:09. Reason: One line removed!
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-04, 21:31   Link #25
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
The problem with saying sex is there's always someone who will write "Yes please.":heh
Or something equally "clever". The word gender is clear and to the point. What's the orientation on your legal documents? Male or female? Outside of mother nature, it's pretty hard to screw up the answer of yes, no, or blank.

The whole issue is pointless because we're on the internet. People lie. I could be a girl for all anyone knows, even though my profile says male. There's no meaning to having such information readily displayed in each post. People can and do make stupid assumptions based on gender perception, which is why the field is always optional and why people often refrain from divulging information like posting pictures or opinions on topics of sexual nature.

Anyway, this topic really reminds me of this classic piece of AnimeSuki history:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=17726
Old 2009-12-04, 21:45   Link #26
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

From what I am understanding, there are only benefits to something like this, right?
Add-On: Show Profile Fields in Postbit, Zero Query & Template Edit
If you don't want "Unspecified" to show in the post bit you can change a couple of settings so that unless you choose one, its not shown, just like age and location. Better yet, you can add an additional mod so users can choose what they want shown in the postbit.
Template Mod: Allow user to select what is shown in their postbit
Old 2009-12-04, 21:55   Link #27
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
The whole issue is pointless because we're on the internet. People lie.
It's actually not pointless at all because most people don't lie. I don't get why people online are so paranoid. Did I miss the part where everyone turns into a pathological liar the moment they open a web browser?
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-04, 22:22   Link #28
Ansalem
Speaker

Quote:
It's actually not pointless at all because most people don't lie.\
Says the man claiming to be a doctor at age 22!

Seriously, I doubt that very many people lie about their gender on the site. Even so, I don't really see the need for it to be brought to attention by having it in the postbit simply so we can type 'his' or 'hers' instead of 'his or hers'. As Solace mentions, people will sometimes make assumptions based on gender, especially if that person is a stranger and in the setting of discussions.
Old 2009-12-04, 22:38   Link #29
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Its not just for using pronouns, it helps to know who you are talking to.

As for the whole lying bit, because of the anonymity people tend to be more truthful about the minor details, such as age and gender.
Old 2009-12-04, 23:05   Link #30
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Okay, but if gender 'doesn't matter' to posts, why do we have location displayed? Or join date for that matter? As others have said, anonymity would still be an option if one so chooses.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-04, 23:25   Link #31
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
Okay, but if gender 'doesn't matter' to posts, why do we have location displayed? Or join date for that matter? As others have said, anonymity would still be an option if one so chooses.
Neither of those are as personal as one's gender actually is. After all, I could talk for hours about my city, never really saying anything about myself.

Also worth mentioning is the fact that we are not always willing to share certain info with everybody on the forum. I do not have my e-mail displayed on my profile, but I will gladly give that bit of info to any of my friends that would ask.
Old 2009-12-04, 23:31   Link #32
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
It's actually not pointless at all because most people don't lie. I don't get why people online are so paranoid. Did I miss the part where everyone turns into a pathological liar the moment they open a web browser?
Most people do lie. Not all the time, not always about things that affect anyone, but they do lie. I have no idea who most of you are, but I don't really care. I know that we're all on this forum because we share the same interests, and we discuss them. I don't care if you're a hermaphrodite from Neptune, as long as you make intelligent posts. That's what I'll judge you on, not what's in between your legs.

Quote:
No one harps on join date much. Location however does get people into trouble. A recent thread devolved into cultural mud slinging partly because of a misunderstanding of how the user entered his location information. On another note, unlike join date which you cannot modify, location and gender are easily changed. Quite a few people can and do put random unrelated text in those fields.

Let me ask some questions for everyone.

1a. Have you ever had a moment on these forums where you wished you knew the gender of an individual, but could not find out without asking said person privately?

1b. If so, why?

2. Have any of you ever been in a discussion on these forums where knowing a persons gender would have made a difference in the discussion? By this I mean in relation to the topic, and not because "boys can't get pregnant so their opinions don't matter" type of thinking?

3. How many times have you run into someone being bothered that you got their gender "wrong" on the forums?

These are polling questions, so don't try to read into them.

Last edited by Solace; 2009-12-04 at 23:35. Reason: Ninja edit.
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-05, 01:13   Link #33
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
No one harps on join date much. Location however does get people into trouble. A recent thread devolved into cultural mud slinging partly because of a misunderstanding of how the user entered his location information. On another note, unlike join date which you cannot modify, location and gender are easily changed. Quite a few people can and do put random unrelated text in those fields.
I think the location field is a good example to compare it with. I'm clearly one who uses unrelated text for the location field at times. I make no effort to hide my location, but I changed the location text when some one flew off the handle and interpreted a joking comment as serious due to their anti-USian prejudices.

I enjoy having the location text there, when it says something useful (or when it makes me chuckle). It provides extra data to help make interpretations in discussion. We can extoll the virtues of being taken at our word all we want, but the truth is that no discussion is made in a cultural vacuum. Whether location, age, gender or anything else, more data can go a long way in providing context for understanding a poster. That's especially true with discussions in which at least one person is not a native speaker and therefore lacks the experience to pick up cues from the text.

The problem is the number of idiots who make poor assumptions with the data provided or express their prejudices. In the land of internet forums, sometimes you have to make concessions in order to disable the idiots.

Quote:
Let me ask some questions for everyone.

1a. Have you ever had a moment on these forums where you wished you knew the gender of an individual, but could not find out without asking said person privately?

1b. If so, why?

2. Have any of you ever been in a discussion on these forums where knowing a persons gender would have made a difference in the discussion? By this I mean in relation to the topic, and not because "boys can't get pregnant so their opinions don't matter" type of thinking?

3. How many times have you run into someone being bothered that you got their gender "wrong" on the forums?
1a. Yes.
1b. Although I rarely mince words, I attempt to maintain a level of decorum in my conversation. For the sake of politeness, I might use different vocabulary in the discussion of personal issues. Likewise, my presentation style can differ. A message intended to challenge an ego to elicit a positive response can work well as a friendly gesture between males, but would be very likely to be interpreted as outright rude by a female recipient. Likewise, when discussing contentious issues, reducing the confrontational impression of a logical argument by surrounding it with empathetic justification might be more likely to be considered polite by a female party, but more likely to be considered to be diluting the argument to a male party. Of course, not all persons of a certain gender are the same to be able to say these sorts of considerations are universally applicable, but the tendencies exist due to the realities of the human experience. Even those who do not share those tendencies and personality quirks are generally quite used to working in a society that assumes them.

2. Yes. As an example, in the discussion of parental and romantic relationships, I've occasionally been overly careful in my replies or declined to reply at all because the lack of knowledge of a gender means I don't have the context to answer properly. A person talking about their "boyfriend" or "girlfriend" doesn't necessarily mean that they are of the opposite gender, and speaking out of turn can mean adding the clutter of a useless post or causing offense.

3. I've rarely seen someone offended. What I see far more often are threads temporarily derailed by an incorrect assumption, followed by several corrections, apologies and follow-up comments.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-05, 03:06   Link #34
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I've had enough people make the amazing leap that because my tag says "I'd rather be in Kyoto" that somehow I *am* in Kyoto (which I'm not presently). Reading skills :P (its a spin on a W.C. Fields misquote)

Quote:

1b. If so, why?

1a+b - I've had moments in which knowing their gender, ethnicity, or nationality *might* inform me as to their cultural baggage... but in general, its more *useful* not to know that because it forces people to be more precise with their language (or look stupid when too many pronouns or unsupported assertions sink their boat).
2 - no. Since the primary topic is anime... people of both sexes have tastes that stomp all over the supposed "genre" lines. And that's why I roll my eyes so much at someone obsessively concerned whether the series they're enjoying is shounen or whatever. The only place it may matter at all is in General-News and related threads... and frankly that's usually a minefield of sound and fury anyway.
3 - only twice and in both cases it was a young teen I had assumed was male and they got indignant about the error
"On the Internet, no one knows you're a left-handed trilobyte"
Usually, unless the person is adept at neutral speech or roleplay - they slip up and it becomes obvious what their sexual orientation is at least.
Old 2009-12-05, 04:54   Link #35
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:

1b. If so, why?

1 No.
2 No. Don't frequent those topics where it might actually matter to some extent (which are enough one could count with one hand).
3 Yes, I have got "the gender they say they have" wrong and correction post followed; maybe once or twice in the entire time I've been here.
Old 2009-12-05, 17:57   Link #36
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:

1b. If so, why?

1a. Yes.

1b. We became close friends through PMs and VMs, so I asked them about it privately because while I had a pretty good idea of their gender from how they spoke in their posts, I didn't want to be wrong in my assumptions and offend them.

2. No.

3. No one, in my experience.
Old 2009-12-05, 18:06   Link #37
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
Neither of those are as personal as one's gender actually is. After all, I could talk for hours about my city, never really saying anything about myself.
I'm not so sure about that. After all, one of the main reasons we want to remain gender-anonymous is to skirt prejudiced judgment, correct? If someone is willing to judge based on gender, they'll probably do it based on location, as well.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-05, 21:29   Link #38
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
If someone is willing to judge based on gender, they'll probably do it based on location, as well.
True that.
Old 2009-12-07, 14:14   Link #39
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post

Do buns even have a gender?
We are ambunguous

Quote:
=Solace]1a. Have you ever had a moment on these forums where you wished you knew the gender of an individual, but could not find out without asking said person privately?

1b. If so, why?

1a: No

2: No

3: None. Usually if I guess wrong Im corrected but normally that doesnt happen since 9 time outta 10 you can tell based on posting style what gender they are. Fangirling helps XD There have been a few few times Ive clicked someones CP and saw what gender they were and went "oh well that makes sense" but I wasnt there looking for gender either I just happened to see it.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote