AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fate/ Series

Notices

Old 2010-10-17, 21:19   Link #901
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Moczo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik.K View Post
First of all hi to everyone, i am new here and i became a member mostly to speak about Fate / Stay Night.

First of all i am not aware of the Game, i am a PC person since 1989 and have no interest whatsoever in consoles, so if the game had anything awesome about the series feel free to fill me in.

Now i just finished watching all episodes of Fate/Stay Night and the UBW movie....And i am confused a bit....For example why is the series so different than the movie ? More or less many things are the same with just slight differences but others are sooo different (illya and Archer for example).

I also did not like the ending of the series at all, i have to admit that the UBW finalle was much better for me, what can i say i'm a sucker for romantic endings.

In any case is there anything else out there (anime) regarding Fate/Stay Night already for me to watch or is there anything else planned ? I guess you people know better than i do

In any case nice to meet you all
Welcome!

The game is a PC game, actually; there's a PS2 version, but it started on PC. Well, we say 'game' but it's a Visual Novel. Sort of like a 'Choose Your Own Adventure' book, only on a computer. It is the definitive FSN experience, and really should be read if you're able.

The anime and the UBW movie are different because they're based on two different paths through the game. The anime was mostly based on the Saber route, 'Fate', with elements of the other two routes occasionally added in. The movie was based on the Rin route, 'Unlimited Blade Works'.

No other anime that I know of; there is a Manga series if you're interested in that.
Moczo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-17, 21:55   Link #902
Nik.K

Ok i will try to find the game, i never heard of it before but i will try to track it down. (if anyone has any solutions for this PM me)

So if the anime was based on Saber and the UBW on Rins perspective shouldnt there be more ? Shirou, Archer, Lancer, Shinji, Illya, Caster and the others ?
Nik.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-17, 22:52   Link #903
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Moczo
Quote:
Ok i will try to find the game, i never heard of it before but i will try to track it down. (if anyone has any solutions for this PM me)

So if the anime was based on Saber and the UBW on Rins perspective shouldnt there be more ? Shirou, Archer, Lancer, Shinji, Illya, Caster and the others ?
There are three routes total, each one focused on the girl Shirou falls for with a few other characters as major supporting roles. I'm oversimplifying it hugely but;

Fate: Saber. Major supporting characters include Rin, and to a lesser extent Ilya.

Unlimited Blade Works: Rin. Major supporting cast would be Archer and Saber.

Heaven's Feel: Sakura. Major supporting cast would be Ilya and Rin, particularly Ilya.
Moczo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-18, 07:25   Link #904
Nik.K

So we still have Heavens Feel.........
Old 2010-10-18, 08:04   Link #905
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
So we still have Heavens Feel.........
Should they decide to animate it, I hope it's an OVA series.
Old 2010-10-18, 09:11   Link #906
Nik.K

Ok found the game, installed it, placed the english patch on it, executed it and....NADA....

Lets see if i can make it work...

Last edited by Nik.K; 2010-10-18 at 14:42.
Old 2010-10-23, 02:37   Link #907
sona-nyl
Actually an Alligator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moczo View Post
There are three routes total, each one focused on the girl Shirou falls for with a few other characters as major supporting roles. I'm oversimplifying it hugely but;

Fate: Saber. Major supporting characters include Rin, and to a lesser extent Ilya.

Unlimited Blade Works: Rin. Major supporting cast would be Archer and Saber.

Heaven's Feel: Sakura. Major supporting cast would be Ilya and Rin, particularly Ilya.
Actually in UBW Rin would be more of supporting cast she's the third most important character in al routes but never once second-
Old 2010-11-02, 15:02   Link #908
lightsenshi
Author

I seriously enjoyed this series, so much so that I spent an entire day watching it from front to back non-stop. Everything about this series just 'felt right' to me, the characters, the situation, the background, and so forth.

The only think I didn't like....too short.
lightsenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-02, 15:27   Link #909
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsenshi View Post
The only think I didn't like....too short.
I've got just the perfect solution:
Spoiler for a cunning plan:
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-03, 08:12   Link #910
lightsenshi
Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I've got just the perfect solution:
Spoiler for a cunning plan:
Aww....
lightsenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-07, 03:12   Link #911
shauwei

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9H8WRXjFhQ
shauwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-13, 22:07   Link #912
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Okay. I finally decided to push on through and finish this. I skipped the Caster arc though since it would have aggravated me to no end.

Overall, it was an enjoyable series. It had a lot of great parts but there were so many inconsistencies, not just with the source material but with the anime itself. Poor choice in music. They used Emiya for Shirou's fight with Gil after the date but used the anime original music that became tiresome at the final fight. The music is part of what made the final battle so memorable to me. How many times can Saber use Excalibur anyway? They emphasized how she could only use it once in the beginning but in the final battle she used it like half a dozen times. Luckily, the good points outweigh the bad by a fair amount.

I know it's impossible, but having another anime adaptation done by a different studio (BONES perhaps) where they adhere to the VN (do all three routes) and leave out crummy original material would be so great.
Old 2010-12-18, 20:20   Link #913
Flinch
Onii-chan~

Send a message via AIM to Flinch Send a message via MSN to Flinch
The anime was the melding of the three paths. Heaven's Feel (Heaven's Fail in my book, still) differed too greatly from the other two paths, so it got hardly any material as it was too hard to pull from it and keep it from contradicting the other paths. Since the most popular character was Saber, they based it primarily on the Fate route, and they pulled parts from UBW where they would fit and still not disturb the greater storyline. All in all, the anime did a very good job of combining three separate paths, which is not as easy as it seems.
Old 2010-12-18, 21:23   Link #914
Cherry_Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinch View Post
The anime was the melding of the three paths.
No, it wasn't. It was mostly Fate with a little bit of UBW chucked in there randomly (which, notably, didn't include any of the important plot points from the route).

Quote:
Heaven's Feel (Heaven's Fail in my book, still)
Do you really have to make snide comments about the HF route in every post you make?

Quote:
Since the most popular character was Saber, they based it primarily on the Fate route, and they pulled parts from UBW where they would fit and still not disturb the greater storyline.
No, they based it on Fate because it's the first route, and the others do not make sense without it.

Quote:
All in all, the anime did a very good job of combining three separate paths, which is not as easy as it seems.
No, no it didn't. The anime did a decent job of combining two paths. In so far as it did try to include bits of HF (which was a pretty meagre effort, really), it failed miserably, resulting in the absolutely horrendous Caster/Sakura arc, which is badly written, doesn't fit with game canon at all, totally massacres the best scene of the entire game, is blatently tacked on and, ultimately, turns out to be totally meaningless, having no effect whatsoever on the story as a whole (the epilogue is just the same as the Fate epilogue, and Rin's relationship to Sakura is never mentioned after the episode in which that arc finishes).
Cherry_Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-18, 21:37   Link #915
LostHanyou

I wouldn't compliment the anime at all in regards to how it added in a little bit of the other routes. I would have enjoyed it far more if they just stuck with Fate and focused on what Fate is supposed to focus on. The Caster scenes were just terrible, and a lot of backstory that should be in Fate is left out for pointless UBW/"HF" (note the quotations) scenes.

It wasn't a blending of three routes, it was one route and a bunch of random shit thrown in between.

But the Archer vs Berserker scene can stay.
LostHanyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-18, 21:50   Link #916
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Exactly. They should have stuck to one route and not wasted time on anything else. This isn't a story where you can do all three routes, or even two!

But setting the VN aside, the anime itself could have been improved a lot too. I am surprised it is rated so high.
Old 2010-12-19, 00:51   Link #917
Flinch
Onii-chan~

Send a message via AIM to Flinch Send a message via MSN to Flinch
When you combine three separate stories, you have to look for common ground and build from there. You try combining three paths from another game and say it won't turn into shit. It's not an easy thing to do, and what they ended up with is an impressive accomplishment in its own right.
Old 2010-12-19, 01:59   Link #918
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

While the combination of routes was a stupid idea, I ultimately still adore the series. I just take it as it's own show at this point and try not to compare it too much, story wise, to the VN. In it's own right, it is a great/enjoyable anime series.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-19, 08:08   Link #919
Cherry_Lover

Quote:
When you combine three separate stories, you have to look for common ground and build from there. You try combining three paths from another game and say it won't turn into shit. It's not an easy thing to do, and what they ended up with is an impressive accomplishment in its own right.
I'm not saying that it's an "easy thing to do". But, the fact still remains that the FSN anime is not a "melding of the three paths", like you claim (like LostHanyou said, it was Fate with a bunch of random UBW scenes chucked in and an absolutely awful Sakura arc that was supposed to be related to HF in some way), and nor did they do a good job of including HF (in particular) in there. Even though I accept that HF was never going to fit in well, it still could have been fitted in better, by having the Caster/Sakura arc not entirely ignore how Rule Breaker and the Grail work, and by actually altering the ending to recognise the fact that Rin had come to terms with her feelings for her sister (rather than essentially pretending that that arc had not happened at all).

The point is that they shouldn't have bothered to even try, because it's simply not possible to combine all three routes together in any sensible manner, so it would have been better to do Fate on it's own (although I wouldn't object to a few scenes showcasing other aspects of the story here and there, and I certainly wouldn't object to any attempt to actually resolve Sakura's issues) and then make two further series to cover UBW and HF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
While the combination of routes was a stupid idea, I ultimately still adore the series. I just take it as it's own show at this point and try not to compare it too much, story wise, to the VN. In it's own right, it is a great/enjoyable anime series.
Yeah, I think this is probably the point (although I personally don't "adore" the anime, because of the way Sakura gets handled in it and the fact that it's basically spawned a legion of Shirou x Saber shippers who don't even realise that there are other options and whose knowledge of canon (particularly when it comes to Sakura) is awful). If you treat it as a series in it's own right, without comparing it to the Visual Novel at all (which people who watch the anime first end up doing), then it is actually reasonably good. Even the Caster/Sakura arc isn't so bad if you ignore the way that it gives canon the middle finger. However, as soon as you start comparing it to the VN (even just to the Fate route), you can see how much of a wasted opportunity that adaptation was, and how badly the anime writers failed when it came to writing their own material (as opposed to merely adapting Nasu's). Plus, once you know VN canon you will find some of what happens in the anime (particularly the Caster/Sakura arc) just plain stupid. If Caster could summon the Grail like that by using a random magus as a catalyst, then the Grail War would be over as soon as the first servant was dead, because the person who killed them would take their master and use them as a sacrifice to produce the Grail.

Everything that is good about that anime comes from Nasu, whereas everything that is bad about it comes from Deen's attempt at adapting it, and that is why TM fans rage about the anime so much. Not because it's bad, per se, but because it's pretty much as bad as it could be given the source material.
Cherry_Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-19, 10:44   Link #920
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
If you want a good VN adaptation, watch Requiem for the Phantom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
That's the thing, as an anime I find it flawed and disappointing. They forget the rules of the story and all when the try to stretch the scenes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry_Lover View Post
Everything that is good about that anime comes from Nasu, whereas everything that is bad about it comes from Deen's attempt at adapting it, and that is why TM fans rage about the anime so much. Not because it's bad, per se, but because it's pretty much as bad as it could be given the source material.
I think it could have been worse. As much as I am complaining, it is still an enjoyable series and it had it's moments... I'm just super picky, lol. But yes, the greatness comes from Nasu alone.