AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-08-02, 12:20   Link #61
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

LOL, Meelo? I think he's about 7 - a bit too young for Korra.

The shipping wars were the silliest part of Avatar, and I can only imagine with a female lead and two brothers in competition, it's going to be even crazier. Hell, it's already crazy and the show doesn't even air till next year.

Also worth remembering that Mike and Brian had ZERO to do with the disastrous film - other than cashing the checks. Zip, nada, zilch. Not their fault.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-02, 12:30   Link #62
NeoFireHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
On another note, why is this in Upcoming Anime series when this clearly isn't one?
I wondered about that too. This should be in General Chat or something, not here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
2. It's by far the best "anime" influenced animation that America has produced. Good enough to shame many anime from Japan.
Shame in what sense?
If it's because of animation quality, an episode of Avatar costs about one million dollars to make (not surprising since an episode of The Simpsons cost about $1,500,000 in 2004) while the average Anime production cost per one episode is only $100,000~200,000. Ghost In The Shell SAC, one of the most expensive anime of all times, had a production cost of $300,000 per episode, so if something, the animation of A:TLA is anything but impressive taking in account the high production values compared to the majority of Anime.
If we talk about ratings is even worst: If I remember correctly, Avatar had terrible ratings in Japan, so in what sense A:TLA is "shaming many anime from Japan"? Could you elaborate and name which anime A:TLA is putting to shame?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
I meant subtitles. I was just really amused by the idea of Japanese people watching subs of Western cartoons.
That would be really difficult. Western cartoons are really unpopular in Japan, and if my memory serves me right, the only cartoon popular in Japan is Tom and Jerry, and since they don't talk at all they shouldn't need any subtitles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
HOLY ****!!! THAT was AMAZING!!! I knew it'd look good, but I didn't think it'd look THIS good (O.O).
When every episode costs millions to make, anything can look good.

Quote:
Btw, I've always wondered, how did the original show do in japan(if it ever aired in japan)?
Horribly, like most Western cartoons that air in Japan.

Quote:
I never thought an American show, esp one from Nick(generally a kids channel) could be that good, and even(IMO) as good as the best anime of japan.
Well, it seems that the Japanese certainly don't think the same as you do. And by the way, could you name which anime A:TLA is superior to? And in what sense?
NeoFireHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-02, 13:03   Link #63
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

I see Avatar: TLA as superior to almost any mainstream shounen currently running in Japan, and certainly better then most anime series of similar length.
The action scenes are very dynamic and creative, and most of the characters have an impressive amount of depth/emotion. The character's struggles can be quite gripping at times, which only makes their victories and defeats all the more memorable.
The soundtrack is also impressive, on par with some of the better anime out there without being over the top. It helps that they did a great job at using music that fit the mood well.

While Avatar: TLA had a huge budget, the people behind it certainly used that money well.

---

Also, its obvious a Western anything wouldn't do well in Japan. They are very brand loyal and will take the Japanese product/show over most non-Japanese alternatives. Not to mention Japanese anime are meant to appeal to Japanese audiences, so its fairly obvious they would prefer it.

---

Honestly, in recent memory only FMA:Brotherhood and Code Geass (first season) struck me as on par with Avatar:TLA. Personal preference will of course play a major role in whether you agree or not.
Old 2011-08-02, 13:13   Link #64
ZODDGUTS

^ Pretty much. It puts pretty much all shonen anime to shame both in animation quality and writing quality. Only two series I think comes close to matches up in their prime would be HunterXHunter and Rurouni Kenshin, but even those two series come below because of filler and no proper ending.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-02, 14:53   Link #65
Xagzan

In what sense did Avatar shame many anime?

Hmm. Plot construction (simplistic as it was), characterization, character interaction (including dialogue), humor, story advancement. That kind of stuff. Of course, that's completely subjective and just my opinion. And I'm only really talking about general shonen anime like Naruto and Bleach, standard action stuff like that. I'm not at all saying that shows like GitS or Samurai Champloo aren't just as high quality material.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-02, 15:12   Link #66
Key Board
Carbon

The third season of Avatar was honestly bad

but the ending made great

It really should have been compressed into two seasons
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-02, 18:23   Link #67
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

What part of season 3 in particular did you think was bad? I really didn't find myself disliking any of those episodes. Unlike The Great Divide in season 1, which you could skip and you wouldn't be missing anything.
Old 2011-08-02, 18:31   Link #68
Xagzan

^ Even I'll admit, some of the season 3 episodes felt pretty aimless. Particularly the Runaway and Nightmares and Daydreams. I wasn't crazy about those. But I wouldn't call them bad. They just weren't up to usual standards.

But it had some great ones before the finale too. The Beach gave us new looks at the antagonists. The Puppetmaster was great because bloodbending, duh/ And once we hit the Day of Black Sun and Boiling Rock, things really took off.
Old 2011-08-02, 18:52   Link #69
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

I liked The Runaway, it expanded on the character relationship between Toph and Katara, which had been fairly non-existent since The Chase. Nightmare and Daydreams was good for a laugh, and showing Aang's anxiety, but I'll admit it was my least favorite episode of season 3.
Old 2011-08-02, 19:09   Link #70
Revelation
lorem ipsum dolor sit ame
*Artist

I'm really looking forward to this as a big fan of the first series that I kind of grew up with, and being a fortunate one who avoided the movie. Love the design and that high production value too.

But I don't understand the name change again this time around: "The Last Airbender: Legend of Korra" Apparently the series doesn't want to infringe on James Cameron's Avatar. Pretty stupid, yet I'm sure it will work out since she needs to master air, but what does that make Aang's few airbending descendants? That they'll die?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post

It really should have been compressed into two seasons
Well, at least this time it will be done right as a 2 cour without the filler episodes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoFireHawk View Post
That would be really difficult. Western cartoons are really unpopular in Japan, and if my memory serves me right, the only cartoon popular in Japan is Tom and Jerry, and since they don't talk at all they shouldn't need any subtitles.
Why do they make such a big deal of sponge bobble then? I mean, look at those kids.

Last edited by Revelation; 2011-08-02 at 19:29.
Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-02, 19:24   Link #71
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

It really should be Avatar: The Legend of Korra. I blame the movies (both the Airbender movie and the blue people one). Avatar: The Last Airbender was what the originally series was called after all, it is only logical for the sequel to be named Avatar: ________ .

But I guess they are forgoing logic for the sake of stupidity as far as the title is concerned.
Old 2011-08-02, 21:23   Link #72
Dark Wing

I still believe they could've did a sequel using the original cast but I'm not going to let that get in the way of me enjoying this new series.
Old 2011-08-02, 21:52   Link #73
Xagzan

^ Not Aang. His voice actor wouldn't sound the same by now.

Besides, we get the graphic novels next year that have sequel stories.
Old 2011-08-02, 22:18   Link #74
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post
And that's why you never hire kids as voice actors...
Old 2011-08-02, 22:44   Link #75
Xagzan

Not at all. He was the perfect choice for the job, and sounded much more convincing than a 30+ year old woman. And as Aang got more mature, we even got to hear slight changes in the actor's own voice.
Old 2011-08-03, 01:41   Link #76
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir_valindri View Post
It really should be Avatar: The Legend of Korra. I blame the movies (both the Airbender movie and the blue people one). Avatar: The Last Airbender was what the originally series was called after all, it is only logical for the sequel to be named Avatar: ________ .

But I guess they are forgoing logic for the sake of stupidity as far as the title is concerned.
They're doing it for the sake of not being in violation of the court ruling obtained by Cameron which prevents them from using the "Avatar" name. It's nothing to do with stupidity, except Cameron's and the judge who ruled in his favor.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-03, 13:16   Link #77
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

They could've fought it and would've most likely won. They just couldn't be arsed because it would cost them far too much money to be worth it.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-04, 15:30   Link #78
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post

Besides, we get the graphic novels next year that have sequel stories.
I haven't heard of this yet...do you have a link to a news article on them?

I hear the existing volume about Zuko illustrated by Nina Matsumoto, "The Last Airbender: Prequel: Zuko's Story" is reasonably good.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-04, 15:50   Link #79
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post
I haven't heard of this yet...do you have a link to a news article on them?

I hear the existing volume about Zuko illustrated by Nina Matsumoto, "The Last Airbender: Prequel: Zuko's Story" is reasonably good.
Quote:
Additionally, Dark Horse will create all-new Airbender stories that will be published as digest-style original graphic novels—conveniently sized paperback collections—in early 2012. Picking up where the season three finale left off, this new series will follow the further adventures of Aang and his friends, as they help to rebuild a world torn apart by 100 years of war.
http://www.darkhorse.com/Blog/255/da...tar-last-airbe
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-10, 00:14   Link #80
secretzfan
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
They could've fought it and would've most likely won. They just couldn't be arsed because it would cost them far too much money to be worth it.
I really don't think it matters they may have fought back and may have not, but in the endn that is just how things are after all "Avatar" and "Avatar: The last Airbender" would get confusing for people who haven't watched the series. Not a big deal

Regarding that "Legend of Korra" seems to be very similar to the movie in how things are going. Seriosuly they both seem to be getting darker.

M Night did talk to the original creators after all and likely had good agreements.

Tags
avatar the last airbender, korra