AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-04-22, 19:56   Link #21
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

That might just have been the best anime week in the last five years.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 19:48   Link #22
ion475
にこにこにー

Well, since we reach the 3 episodes mark for quite a few series...

Name of Series: Acchi Kocchi
Episodes Watched: 3
Rating: 8/10
Comments: つみきちゃん可愛い。つみきちゃんペロペロ。つみきちゃんマジ天使。
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Keep, Tsumiki is too adorable...

Name of Series: Saki - Achiga hen -
Rating: 9/10
Comments: Much faster pace than the original series. Of course, manga is also this fast pace and they're basically following it literally box by box...
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Keep of course, even if Kuro-chan's mahjong power is nowhere as broken as Saki or Tacos...

Name of Series: Accel World
Rating: 8
Comments: Kuroyukihime...so far, so good
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Keep

Name of Series: Haiyore! Nyaruko-san
Rating: 8
Comments: As random as ever. Ep 2 and 3 are nowhere as good as the 1st one, though...

Name of Series: Hyouka
Episodes Watched: 1
Rating: N/A
Comments: Too early to give a rating. Story just got started. Animation is a 11/10, though.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Keep, it's Kyoani at their best again

Name of Series: Natsuiro Kiseki
Rating: 7/10
Comments: No clue where to put this one. It's slice of life, but doesn't have the comedy that keep people watching, nor it have the healing power of Tamayura...
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Keep. It'll probably end up being average but as long as it's not things like Queen's Blade or Majikoi, I'll keep...

Name of Series: Sankarea
Rating: N/A
Comments: Will give comment once I watch the other 2 episodes. Just don't feel like watching this sometimes.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Keep, but high probability that I'll watch this at snail pace...

No clue whether this apply...
Name of Series: Mobile Suit Gundam AGE
Episodes Watched: 28 (2 if you only count this season)
Rating: 1/10
Comments: Will see if Kio arc can save this series. I said the same thing about Asemu arc, though, before they decide to go back to square one and give me the crap that makes people slap their head over and over again...
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Keep, might as well finish this. It's not really THAT bad, but whoever write the script needs to be fired...
Old 2012-04-27, 04:28   Link #23
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
*snipped*

No clue whether this apply...
Name of Series: Mobile Suit Gundam AGE
Episodes Watched: 28 (2 if you only count this season)
Comments: Will see if Kio arc can save this series. I said the same thing about Asemu arc, though, before they decide to go back to square one and give me the crap that makes people slap their head over and over again...
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Keep, might as well finish this. It's not really THAT bad, but whoever write the script needs to be fired...
Agreed......
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-27, 19:14   Link #24
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Spoiler for Long:
Old 2012-04-27, 19:26   Link #25
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
I had a funny feeling you would drop Acchi Kocchi.

Ah well....
Old 2012-04-27, 19:37   Link #26
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
I had a funny feeling you would drop Acchi Kocchi.

Ah well....
Too much competition.
Old 2012-04-27, 19:38   Link #27
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Too much competition.
That I can certainly understand. There are a fair number of good shows this season - but I hafta agree with you on one thing at least: Sakamichi is this season's best.
Old 2012-04-27, 20:44   Link #28
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
That I can certainly understand. There are a fair number of good shows this season - but I hafta agree with you on one thing at least: Sakamichi is this season's best.
I should say, within those grades there really is no particular order - Sakamichi is certainly right there, but the top 4 shows are very, very close as far as I'm concerned.
Old 2012-04-29, 15:05   Link #29
kitten320

Well now that most shows have done more than 1 episode, let's see:
Comments: Has a lot of cliches like weak MC who gets noticed by cute girl and gets super powers but somehow there is something that makes me want to see more. Let's hope that among all those cliches there is hiding a gem.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): keep

Name of Series: Area no Kishi
Episodes Watched: 16
Comments: Continuation from last season.

Name of Series: Fate/Zero
Episodes Watched: 4
Comments: Continuation from last season

Comments: I love mysteries, especially dark ones. This series are clearly not dark orientated but I was prepared for it. For now they give me K-ON feeling and synopsis promise some kind of story not just one shots so I'll keep a look on it.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Stall? Will see how the rest goes.

Name of Series: Jormungand
Rating: 6/10
Comments: Somehow I expected a bit more. It has nice action but charas are pretty ridiculous... crazy stupid psychos, not wearing underwear, fangirl... a bit hard to take it seriously.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Will see how the rest goes but most likely keep. Duno if I will watch 2nd season though.

Name of Series: Kore Wa Zombie Desu ka?
Comments: Liked 1st seasons so it is a must.

Name of Series: Kuroko no Basket
Comments: I love sport shows but this one is missing something so far. I less irritated with MC than I was at the start but still something doesn't seem right. They had a game in episode 3. I know it is not over yet but so far it was interrupted way too much what kills the excitement. Hope it will improve.

Name of Series: Phi Brain 2
Comments: Didn't like 1st season much but this one looks more promising so I will give it a go for now.

Name of Series: Recorder to Randoseru Re♪
Rating: hard to rate
Comments: Saw 1st season and episodes are only 3 min long so it is not a huge waste of time. And it does have some funny bits

Name of Series: Sakamichi no Apollon
Comments: Didn't expect much but it has some interesting things happening. Let's see how much music orientated it actually is.

Name of Series: Sankarea
Comments: Weirs series... really weird. It takes necrophilia to new levels, will see how it develops.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): If it will be able to entertain me from now on, keep.

Name of Series: Tasogare Otome x Amnesia
Episodes Watched: 2
Comments: Knowing that it is mystery with ghosts, I expected something cool but didn't get it. Will keep watching but I duno, the whole comedy does not make me laugh. It actually makes things a bit awkward. There were some good bits so I'll wait and will hope for actually story to kick in.

Name of Series: Uchuu Kyoudai
Comments: Something different from majority besides I like space.
Old 2012-05-03, 00:29   Link #30
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Spoiler for Previous comments about Spring series:

I am about a week behind on most of the shows I watch, if not more. I have completed one of the series on my watchlist, but I still have 7 other full-length shows plus three that I will watch at some point(Medaka Box, Saki Achiga-hen, Upotte). At least I don't think I have to add any more right now to my watchlist. Spring has been quite a season, and I've seen at least three out of what I'm watching.

Rating: B
Comments: Still the only sports anime that I am bothering with, since this one wants to be realistic unlike the basketball one. Kakeru was able to do his mythical feint move in episode 16, and Tsujidou was a tough opponent for the Enoshima team. Araki looks like he finally is going to be serious about being in top shape. Next episode looks like I am going to hate it though. I really don't like the Mine doctor character.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Keep (but I hate the chest touching and the unscientific junk about organ transplants)

Episodes Watched: 14
Rating: A-
Comments: Visually, it is a treat, and the music is certainly fitting for an epic like this. Enjoyed the action of Saber and Rider fighting Caster, and how Berseker wound up using a jet to battle Archer. I am about three weeks behind on this, but I plan on catching up as much as I can with it. It certainly feels like the best action series of this season though

Comments: This is certainly my favorite comedy of the season. Nyarlko is just so energetic, and Kuuko is so amusingly focused and well...hot in a literal sense. Mahiro is an amusingly tsundere guy and the much-needed straight man. Kuuko's Macross shoutouts in episode 2 were awesome. Yeah, this series really likes its shoutouts. I have been hearing it called this generation's Excel Saga. Just pure entertainment.

Name of Series: Mouretsu Pirates
Rating: A
Comments: And so the Yacht Club joins Marika on a pirating job, and things don't go exactly to plan, but everything works out for a pirate in the end, and the cosplay pirates were a big hit. I haven't seen Episode 17 yet, but I am looking forward to this arc now that Jenny is at the center of it. Lynn has really grown on me as a character. Still a pleasure to watch every week, and my favorite sci-fi of the season.

Name of Series: Ozuma
Episodes Watched: 6
Rating: B-
Comments: In the end, things were a bit predictable. The whole reveal with Gido was not a surprise, and I wasn't surprised that Dick wound up saving the day. Bainas did have a really touching scene as she said goodbye to Dick though in the last episode. If characters had been able to be fleshed out more like Mimay and if Sam had shown that he was more than a hotblooded youth, this would have been great. It was a good old school watch though.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Done

Name of Series: Sakamichi no Appolon
Rating: A+
Comments: What can I really say about this show? It's the best of the season so far, and shaping up to possibly be best of this year. Musical scenes are lovingly animated, and Kaoru and Sentarou are both really great characters to follow. Kaoru's confession scene at the end of episode 3 was well-executed and proves that he is better than at least 90% of male leads out there. Absolutely a timeless anime, and a shining example that NoitaminA is BACK.

Name of Series: Tasogare Otome X Amnesia
Comments: I do enjoy some of the antics of this series, and I can see that it's starting to let the mystery build in and introduce us to the characters. I just am not as compelled by this anime as I am by others. The ED is really good though, and I enjoy the OP though. You can tell that the director is using his SHAFT style for SILVER LINK, and it is visually a treat. It just seems to want to be a comedy and a really deep mystery at the same time, and it seems like the anime doesn't know what it wants to be. But I do enjoy enough not to complain.

Comments: Mutta's continuing journey through JAXA's exams and the characters he meets, Serika and Kenji, all of it just works well. The music is pretty good too, and I just feel good about this anime. Watching Mutta fight for his dream is pretty inspiring, and I love space so I just love watching this show. I am starting to love the OP too.

Name of Series: Yurumates 3D
Rating: C
Comments: 2nd episode was the funniest so far. The jokes feel random, and it is amusing, but I just don't feel like there is any kind of overarching plot or anything to this short series. It is only 3 mins so I don't dislike it enough to drop it. It's just midly amusing antics.

Overall, the season is looking quite strong.
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-03, 02:25   Link #31
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Wait, it is serious Jenny time and you've not watched episode 17 yet?
Old 2012-05-05, 08:50   Link #32
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

These are the series I watched for the Spring Season:

Accel World: This anime is half bad, half not my thing. I'm not a fan of wimps just being given powers unless it's to make their life worse, and I'm definitely not a fan of the fact that we're never given a reason to like the main when all he does is suffer. However, the exposition in this show is fucking terrible. No visual aids, nothing interesting is being said, goes on too long...ugh.

Kids on the Slope: This one is probably going to be in my favorites. It has everything I could ever like in a visual medium. Great characters, great music, subtle actions, good comedy, and drama I actually give a shit about. Plus, it has jazz. Oh that jazz.

Tsuritama: Like Future Diary, this anime is just so warped and so nonsensical that I can't help but love it. All the characters are entertaining, the fishing is pretty fun, and I just love Haru's energy, even though other people don't.

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia: I wasn't a fan of the manga for a good reason. The characters are really forgettable and so bland that it becomes irritating. The mystery isn't very interesting and the slapstick is badly edited.

Fate/Zero: I'm not a Fate fan, so I don't really like this anime as much as other people do. It's got great animation, but for some reason, I can't feel it breathing much life into the characters. The characters are fine, but aside from a couple, I'm not a fan of them due to their overly serious personalities and uninteresting motivations. The fight scenes are also too long. The story is really good though, plus things have become more interesting in the second half since characters started dying.

Eureka Seven Ao: This one surprised me, as I didn't really like the first series all that much. But this one is much more interesting. The characters are better, the story is more engaging, and things happen in a really cool way.

Hyouka: I love main characters that act like Daria, so this one was a must for me. The visuals are great, the characters are fun, and I like how low-key it is. It's a little bit of a safe series, but at least I don't have to watch another KyoAni sitcom.

Lupin III- A Woman Named Mine Fujiko: Sort of a hard series to describe at times. Despite supposedly being centered around Fujiko, it's really just a Lupin prequel where Fujiko isn't inserted into the series all that well. It's very good though. It has style, the characters are fun, it's cheesy, and feels like sexploitation mixed with noir.

Space Bros: Only saw the first episode. But it was very good. I'll get to it later.

Jormungand: This anime is practically a popcorn anime at the moment. It's got some entertaining characters and some Hollywood action scenes that you role with for the most part. However, while the gun logic is entertaining, from what I heard, it's not correct. And even if it was, putting gun logic in a show that is pretty open to camp doesn't mesh well. It thankfully doesn't try to give us any lame POV characters and just let their entertaining selves handle the anime.

Edit: From favorite to least, the series I'm currently watching would be like this from top to bottom:

-Kids on the Slope
-Hyouka
-Tsuritama
-Lupin III
-Eureka Seven Ao
-Fate/Zero
-Jormungand

Accel World, I occasionally watch at times. Space Bros, I still haven't gotten past the first episode as of yet.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck

Last edited by Flawfinder; 2012-05-11 at 17:37.
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-05, 10:00   Link #33
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Spoiler for past thoughts:

I've seen at least 4 episodes of each show now. The only changes so far are:
- Dropped Accel World
- Picked up Hyouka (which I give a 7/10 for now – great visuals, but a bit lacking plot-wise).
Old 2012-05-09, 12:12   Link #34
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Favorites of the season:

Sakamichi no Appolon:

This show manages to be a romance story (and a good one at that with some epic confession scenes) as well as a bromance story between Kaoru and Sentaro.It moves quicky but that's what I like about it,it keeps missunderstandings from lasting too long and the show from getting too angsty.
Then there's the attention to detail for the setting,notably on how well the jam sessions are animated.It really helps make the show stand out.

Fate/Zero:

I had doubts at the end of the 1st season but the 2nd came in with a bang and captured my attention again.Love the action scenes that feature some of the best CGI I've seen in anime.Plotwise things are definatly starting to move faster and you've had some major events happen,the ending is shaping up to be epic.

Lupin III:

I know Koike and Okada are the big names here but lets not forget that Sayo Yamamoto is the one directing this and anyone that liked her first anime Michiko to Hatchin should look into this as it's another anime with a sexy action female lead.
There's nudity all over the place here,the big difference with a lot of fanservice anime is that this isn't the kind of anime where a male lead accidentally grabs fujiko's boobs or accidentally pulls down her pants,fujiko isn't some innocent sweetheart,she uses her charms to seduce men.
However so far Fujiko has't been developed,all we know about her past comes in the form of a trippy flashback.Rather she's been used to shed some light into other Lupin III characters,my favorite episode remains episode 2,the Jugen episode.
I expect this to change in the 2nd half of the show,I think we'll learn more about fujiko.

The art is definatly stylish,it has a nice OST and each episode brings someone on board that showcases his style,for exemple episode 5 was directed/storyboarded by the director of ben-to and I felt that really showed in the action scenes.
However they seem to be on a tight schedule and that seems to show in the animation that can get sloppy from time to time.
Really looking forward to what this show has in store for us in the 2nd half.

Nazo No Kanojo X:

I was quite interested in this one coming in and it didn't disapoint.My love for this show can basically be summed up with my love for Urabe,from her voice to her charadesign as well as her attitude.
There's something really refreshing about an anime girl not freaking out when she learns the male lead has naughty dreams about her. A lot of anime girls would freak out and maybe get angry at him but not Urabe.
The retro design as well as the OST really contribute to the weird athmosphere that's present,yes the drool sharing is odd but the show doesn't try and pass it off as normal,on the contrary it really tries its best to highlight the weirdness of it.
But behind the weirdness there's a really sweet story about a guy and a girl,that really shows in the OP song choice to me.

I do hope things will get moving and not stagnate too long though,even if that means going anime original,the manga might be trying to keep a serialisation going as long as possible the anime only has 13 episode to work with and likely no second season so I'm hoping for a real conclusion.

Sankarea:

My surprise of the season,it was really low on my radar but after 5 episodes it definatly is among my favorites.
Deen might be the studio producing it but a shaft veteran is directing and it shows,I really like everything about the direction,from the wide angles to the POV shots.

I also like the male lead,a freak yes but to me that's a nice change from the "normal" characters you tend to see these days.

Rea is of course not only hot but her family situation turned her into a nice tragic heroine I could get attached to.

Same can't be said for Ranko though,she's hot and Ms fanservice and that seems to be all she's there for, and you know if that was all I wouldn't mind however the poor girl gets herself stuck in a pipe and attacked by a zombie,so it feels like the fanservice comes at her expence and that's something I have a hard time with.
I'm intrigued by the way the show treats its two girls so differently,we never got one Rea panty shot (even if at one point Chihiro sees them but the audience doesn't) meanwhile we can get a completely random panty shot of Ranko.

Howeverer that's just a small dent,I still enjoy the show a lot.Going forward I have no idea what to expect and have no idea if we'll get anime original ending or not,I'm rooting for a second season.

Look forward to these every week:

Jormungand:

I've enjoyed Jormungand,the only thing holding it back for me so far is the animation,especialy during the action scenes.I don't have much hope about it getting better however if it pulls off more episodes like episode 5 I'll gladly overlook it and it'll climb into my favorites.One thing I absolutely love about the show though is the OST

Uchuu Kyoudai:

This also has the potential to climb up the list,I was interested in this because of the space theme and it has delivered so far,mostly through its character interaction between the two brothers. It might be seinen (due I guess to the age of the characters) but there's something very shonen jump-esque about never giving up on your dreams and giving your all to reach them.
We're still early on in a 4 cour run and it's doing a lot right so far but I really expect it to achieve it's full potential later on in the show.

Hyouka:

I've got a good feeling about this one,especialy after episode 3.There's bright and colorful designs however it seems as though one of the themes will be whether or not you're always better off knowing the truth, that's a theme I absolutely love ( and is present in animes such as ergo proxy or un-go) and hope hyouka will really explore.
The show off course has top notch animation but it has some great overall direction as well,now I just hope this direction serves a story that deserves it.

Aquarion Evol (carry over from winter):

A very nice blockbuster that doesn't take itself too seriously and isn't affaid to pull off the most ridiculous plot twists,it's only there to entertain and it does that very well which is all I care about,I'll leave the critics about badly handled character developement or inconsistent plot to others because frankly I don't care.

Phi Brain: Kami no Puzzle 2:

Ah Phi brain,the little show that hardly anyone is watching.If you're watching this expecting psychological battles you're doing it wrong
This show requires a huge suspension of disbelief,it evolves in a world where puzzles are serious business,you could even say they're close to a cult relating to them.
Then there's the fact that the puzzle solving is just trivial (that's because the anime is followed up with a live action show that goes into detail about how to solve the puzzles seen in the anime)
What makes me look forward to this show every week is that after a few formulatic episodes in the 1st season it really stepped up its game with some nice plotwist or crazy antics like crossdressing, traps, deer riding and before knew it I got to like seeing this crazy cast every week.
Season two continues to play with my expectations it sometimes does something completely predictable and sometimes it pulls off stuff I don't see coming like in episode 3.
So similarly to aquarion evol it knows nwhen to take itself seriously and when not to, it's only there to entertain and it does that very well.I never know what I'm going to get when watching an episode of phi brain and that's what keeps me coming back.
As a bonus it has a really nice OST that really helps carry the scenes.

Nice watches ,will most likely finish these:

Ginga e Kickoff!!:

Nothing revolutionary at all but a fun sports show with a lead that's so energetic that I can't help but root for the guy.

Moretsu Pirates:

This never took off and became epic like I thought it would,sure the Jenny arc as well as the ghost ship arc were nice but I'm still left hoping for more.Still this remains a nice watch and there's still a few episodes less but at this point I've lowered my expectations.

AKB0048:

This like Aquarion evol could climb up,it's another blockbuster and episode 2 delivered on that front,I just hope it won't take itself too seriously,those tears in the OP scare me,I don't want another BRS from Okada.

Kuroko no Basuke:

A fun basketball show,IG is doing a good enough job with the animation and the OST is epic.Sure some abilities aren't realistic but to me as long as things remain reasonable then to me it just adds to the fun.I'll probably pick up the manga once the anime is over.

Medaka Box:

Well it's been OK so far,Medaka is just so ridiculously overpowered that at this point I can't help but come back every week to see just what crazy antics she has going.
The sad thing is she's the only thing that keeps me coming back,the production values are just meh and none of the other characters intrigue I know the manga changes a lot later on,I'll pick it up once the anime is over.

Zetman:

Even if I'm not a manga reader the rushed pace is keeping me from enjoying it more,which is sad because the story does have a lot of potential,too bad it didn't get 2 cours.

Tsuritama:

I never thought I'd say this but I really hate a Miyu Irino character,genki alien dude just gets on my nerves (I honestly can't remember the last time a character got so on my nerves) and I'd enjoy the show a whole lot more if it weren't for him.Which is too bad because I do find the rest of the show quite fun.

Natsuiro Kiseki:

The sphere fanboy I am is watching this but appart from the OP nothing is really standing out and I'm not sure if that rock is just a troll or if the staff hasn't put any thought on how it works,still it remains a fun watch every week.

In danger of getting dropped:

Accel World

This isnt doing anything for me,people have tried to justify the way the MC behaves and why others might like him but I just can't relate to it and can't buy into it even if I'm really trying which is why I havn't dropped it yet

Saki Achiga-hen episode of side-A

More than moe yuri girls,the reason why I liked Saki was the crazy superpowered mahjong,this has a lot more of the former and a lot less than the latter so I'm not sure I'll keep watching

Sengoku Collection

I'd say it's a miracle I'm still watching,since every episode so far has had a new character it keeps me coming back to see if I enjoy it more and it always barely crosses the line managing to get a few chuckles out of me,if I've got a guilty pleasure this season it's this one.

Dropped:

Tasogare Otome x Amnesia

This is the Yuuko show and Yuuko does nothing for me,it's as simple as that,I'll take other female lead such as Rea,Urabe or even Medaka over her.
I was hoping at one point in episode 3 that the show would turn into a sort of less gross version of saya no uta but after 4 episodes that doesn't seem to be the case.

Haiyore! Nyaruko-san

I think there's too many referenes I don't get to really enjoy this.

Shirokuma Cafe:

I REALLY wanted to like this,tried my best but when after 2 episodes I havn't even smiled I've got to recognize that this isn't for me

Acchi Kocchi

Same her,wanted to like it but the humour isn't clicking with me

Shining Hearts: Shiawase no Pan

After four episodes I'll give up,none of the girls interest me and the main plot doesn't either,by far the thing I enjoyed the most was the diabetes enducing ED
Old 2012-05-09, 12:24   Link #35
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
wait, if it's 'not really that bad' why do you give it a 1 out of 10

logic error detected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawnalyst
and I'm definitely not a fan of the fact that we're never given a reason to like the main when all he does is suffer.
Haruyuki's the man

bad opinion detected
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-09, 14:38   Link #36
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Here are my impressions and ratings on the Spring 2012 anime that I'm currently watching:

Accel World
Episode Watched: 5

Reasons: The series is staying true to it novel roots. The visuals, action, and Kuroyukihime is enough for me to keep watching every week. Plus, the OP and ED theme are catchy as hell, I need to get them on my comp to have a listen. I really like Haruyuki as a lead protagonist, I don't care what other people say. He's like "a bird learning to fly for first time" so to speak.

Hyouka
Rating: 8.5/10

Reasons: The main lead is interesting and unique. He reminds of myself during my high school days (energy less life ftw!). I love the mysteries, the characters, and judging by what we've seen in the latest episode things are going to get very interesting.

Fate/Zero 2nd Phase
Episodes Watched: 5
Rating: 9.5/10

Reasons: As a huge fan of the Fate series the prequel does not continue to disappoint, and more twists, back-stories, and tragedies are definitely coming into play here. We're definitely seeing events that will eventually lead up to Fate/Stay Night in the latest episodes, and more surprises are definitely on the way.

Haiyore! Nyaruko-san

Reasons: Three words: Gut busting hilarious! Awesome female protagonist and the haywire antics that are put into each episode. I'll wait for more episodes before I'll continue.

Kore wa Zombie Desuka? Of the Dead

Reasons: The loveable cast including the one and only Haruna-chan are back for more wacky antics, non-stop main character verbal abuse (poor Ayumu), and more hilarity like the first season. The pace is slow, but it seems like we're getting to the heart of the conflict soon, so my rating will change as the episodes progress.

Natsu-iro Kiseki

Reasons: The seiyuus/singers from Sphere did a really amazing job on the voices of the main characters, and the story really sets the mood for summer, which is just around the corner. The characters are unique and relateable, and the more I watch, the more heartwarming and beautiful the story gets.

Hiiro no Kakera

Reasons: The story is unique, and the 5 male heroes and the one heroine thing is cliched, but for some reason I'm really compelled to keep watching. The OP song is really beautiful.

Sankarea

Rating: 8.5/10

Reasons: I love the manga and the anime is staying close to the adaptation, which I like. Like Furuya, I'm also a zombie fan and I love survival horror games involving them ie Resident Evil.

Upotte!!

Reasons: I like girls with guns...even if they are cute trigger happy middle schoolers, always willing to show their stuff, that sounded weird, right? Whatever!! The story is funny, cute, and really unique in its own way. I need to catch up on the manga.
Old 2012-05-16, 20:35   Link #37
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Since we have roughly reached mid-season, I thought I would update this thread to reflect that time. Here are my initial impressions of the season, put under spoiler tags for space purposes.

Spoiler for Early Spring 2012 thoughts:

I decided to put them in alphabetical order - it does not reflect my "order of preference" for each section, though.

A List (i.e. actively following with interest):

Acchi Kocchi - light hearted adorable fluff; this series REALLY makes me laugh. It's been a while since I have been able to laugh so much at a series as I do with this one. I find myself really liking the charas, and the dynamic reminds me of the humor dynamic that the girls in K-On were able to pull off so effectively.

Bodacious Space Pirates - carryover - continues to be absolutely stunning imo. Extremely solid in every way, shape and form for me. I love the pace, the charas, the BGM, the beautoful BG animation, the storyline, everything. However, it is interesting that it does not "excite" me as much as, say, Hyouka does.

Hyouka - I was expecting Hyouka to be good, and admittedly we are only up to ep 4 as I am writing this, but it is no exaggeration when I say that I have come to love everything about this series. I expected this one to be in the B or C category for me, but it has floored me. Out of all the series airing this season this is the only one I have eagerly looked forward to since ep 1 aired.

Nazo no Kanojo X - an outright brilliant adaptation imo, and in some ways it is even better than the manga. That's quite a feat in my book....

Sakamichi no Apollon - This was my fave series of the season before Hyouka came along. An absolutely beautiful OP and ED, and if I enjoyed Jazz music in general I think I would be drooling all over this one. The storyline is realistic, convincingly acted and beautifully drawn - even touching.

Saki Achiga-Hen - a big Saki fan (both manga and anime) and also reading the Achiga-Hen manga before and while the series is airing. Another really good adaptation here. Just well done for me.

B List (i.e. actively following):

Accel World - prolly the biggest surprise for me this season; a really solid show. I have even come to accept the main chara and not be bothered by how he is portrayed. The story really grabs me with this one.

Haiyore! Nyaruko-san - continued absolute nonsense with no pretensions whatsoever. Part of me is impressed that they have managed to keep such a break-neck pace up to now.

Tasogare Otome x Amnesia - a big surprise of the season for me. The manga is way, way better imo, but even so the producers of this one have done a very good adaptation. The ED is lovely.

Uchuu Kyodai - really solid material; now if only astronauts were more interesting to me....

C List (i.e. following, but mildly interested):

Furusato Saisei Nippon no Mukashibanashi - this is definitely "pleasant viewing", as I like folktales in general, and feel that the time they take for each tale (about 7-8 minutes or so) is just about right. A really enjoyable ED.

Kuromaju-san ga Tooru - another "short" (although this one is 7 minutes long) that I find endearing. It could prolly me a lot better if given a full 12 ep treatment, and somehow I feel it has the potential to be an interesting story premise if properly utilized. Not sure why I think that though.

Recorder to Randoseru Re - well, I liked season 1. Season 2 is more of the same. Nuff said.

Shirokuma Cafe - this is definitely slice of life comedy and is very well done imo. If I cared about the charas more I would prolly roar with laughter at each ep, but somehow while I do like them it is more of a "just like" as opposed (for example) to really liking the charas of Acchi Kocchi. The OP is well done imo.

Yurumates 3D - a sweet "short" of lighthearted humor.

Still on trial watch list:

AKB0048 - this series is ... odd. I kinda like it despite all it's awkwardness, but I am still not "sold" on it for whatever reason.

Kore wa Zombie desu ka of the Dead - the way the season is going with this one I would not be surprised if it sat here right up to the end.

Tsuritama - ep 5 was the last ep I was going to try out, and it is a good thing, b/c I was ready to drop this one. EP 5 convinced me to continue giving it a chance. ED is nice, I guess.

Tried out and not interested: Ozuma, Medaka Box, Sengoku Collection, Upotte, Sankarea, Zetman, Jormangund, Natsuiro Kiseki, Shiawase no Pan, Gakkatsu.

Older series still being subbed: Hyouge Mono, Showa Monogatari.

Last edited by Flower; 2012-05-17 at 16:30. Reason: fixing a few typos
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-17, 01:00   Link #38
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Name of Series: Sakamachi No Apollon
Rating: B+
Comments: This is a really good example of what slice of life can be like. Outstanding audio and amazing direction, though the series hasn't really reached out to me yet-- all in due time.

Episodes Watched: 19
Comments: The second half of the series has been nothing short of amazing, building up to what I'm sure will be an epic conclusion. The story has achieved a higher level of meaning

Name of Series: Space Brothers
Episodes Watched: 7
Comments: A nice and relaxed show with a great sense of humor. Not sure where it's going, and it's kinda drifting, but this is another gem this season. Mutta always delivers in terms of personality and comedy, for sure.

Name of Series: Jormungand
Rating: C+
Comments: Fun characters, but not so great in terms of visuals. It looks kinda cheap, and the events that happened on screen are just not involving enough.

Name of Series: Medaka Box
Comments: Oy, it looks kinda slop py, but at least it's lulzy. Those character designs though. >.> It's pretty much carried by the female lead (with her boobs most likely)
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Stall

Name of Series: Lupin
Comments: Amazing shit in terms of presentation. Despite fears of Mari Okada going nuts with her typical stuff such as crossdressing, Lupin proves to be one of the most unique series of the year with the film nori look that is perfect for a series about thieves; though maybe we should credit legendary Dai Sato for that.

Name of Series: Uptotte!
Rating: D
Comments: It should have been pretty funny to see guns in the forms of girls and perverted jokes about feeling up stuff. Sadly, the terrible execution and general cheapness deterred it.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Drop

Rating: D-
Comments: I saw it and can't remember what happened.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Drop

Name of Series: Tasogare Otome x Amnesia
Comments: It's boring, it's dull, but Yuuko is sorta hot and there's boobs so it can be forgiven. It may ramp up though, so I wouldn't toss it away yet.

Rating: C-
Comments: Same thoughts as Amnesia except this lacks boobs. It has good animation though.

Comments: It's pretty stupid but it rocks audiovisually and Kyoukihime is hot and not just a SFSD so all can be forgiven.

Name of Series: Hunter x Hunter
Episodes Watched: 30
Comments: Still trucking, still fighting, still ballin

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-22, 15:25   Link #39
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbZeroNow View Post
Spoiler for Previous Spring Comments:

I really hate how I am still a week behind on my series even when I have one less one since Ozuma ended. It has been a great season though.

Episodes Watched: 18
Comments: I am two weeks behind this one, although episode 19 is my next to watch episode out of everything. Episodes 17 and 18 have been basically filler, with Episode 17 featuring Leonardo and that terrible Dr. Mine. She's awful and I really wish she wasn't a recurring character. Episode 18 was basically good as it showed Seven in another game and the Nadeshiko Japan has a new coach and I hate him too. Looks like the next few episodes return to soccer, so hopefully it improves a little.

Episodes Watched: 17
Comments: The action and the darkness and the betrayal ramp up as Masters and Servents are killed. The next few episodes are flashbacks to Kiri's past so I don't know how I'll feel once I get through them. Episode 15's fight between Berserker and Gilgamesh was cool though.

Comments: I am sadly two episodes behind on this too. Hastur is a cute addition to the cast. Loved the DeLoran appearances in episodes 4 and 5. The love comedy is certainly very entertaining. Still my favorite comedy of this season.

Episodes Watched: 18
Comments: The Jenny vs her uncle Arc was my favorite arc of this series so far. Jenny herself is a great character, and seeing Marika grow even more into her role as Captain is quite a sight. And Chiaki had a great moment in Episode 18 where she took out her stress on the would-be revolutionaries. Also That Kiss in Episode 17! Hope to catch up with Episodes 19 and 20 soon.

Comments: Still the best series of this season. Episode 5 had almost no music scenes(although Episode 4 had plenty of them. Jun singing in English was pretty good). I even bought the Bill Evans album that was showed in this series, that's how much I love this series. The romantic entanglements are certainly something that will have to be resolved eventually, but I do liek the strong emphasis on friendship so far. Kaoru is an underrated character, IMHO.

Comments: I am still very divided about this series. On one hand, Yuuko is just so cute and complex and I love the OP and the ED of this series. And Episode 5 had some very cute moments with Kirie(love her seiyuu too). On the other hand, seeing this show pull some repeative antics for 5 episodes is wearing really thin and the mystery is almost not there and you feel like they ought to have made more headway into figuring out Yuuko's secrets. I hope that the next few episodes really do move the plot forward though.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Keep(for now. I am close to considering a stall for this)

Comments: Episodes 5 and 6 show Mutta temporarily living with his brother Hibito in the Houston area(in the U.S) while Mutta waits to hear if he made it past the 2nd exam. Somebody from this show must have visited Houston because I clearly recognize some of the buildings they show at Johnson Space Center. Episode 6 showing a little more about one of the JAXA guys was interesting too. I am still loving how each character contributes to the story, and Mutta is still a very relatable lead.

Comments: It's short, but it just feels like randomness most of the time. I cannot say that I find this series that amusing either. If it wasn't a 3 minute show, I'd have dropped this a few episodes ago.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Keep(I'm half done with this one anyway)

Still really enjoying 4 of the shows that I am watching so that is always a plus.
Old 2012-06-19, 13:24   Link #40
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbZeroNow View Post

Spoiler for earlier Spring Comments:
I am struggling to not fall further behind on the Spring series, but I am enjoying where some of these series are going, and Sakamichi episode 7 was EPIC.

Episodes Watched: 21
Comments: I still enjoy some aspects of this series, but there are still some terrible characters(Dr. Mine) and it seems that Kakeru has done enough to get him off the bench, but he always seems to be on the bench and then something happens during the game and he gets put in, and the team still struggles until Kakeru remembers something that Suguru says and Enoshima pulls ahead. And the referring is always one-sided. I am a little disappointed that they have Mai trying to steal Kakeru away from Seven. I still am going to watch it, but I would like to see more character progress between Kakeru and Seven.

Episodes Watched: 20
Comments: Wow at Kiritsugu's backstory. I did like how they expanded the world to include Kiri fighting against Dead Apostles. And the tragedy still piles up with episode 20. I look forward to the last episodes of this as everything comes to a head.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Keep.

Episodes Watched: 8
Comments: Episode 8 was hilarious. The Haruhi, Marimite and KamiNomi references just made my week there. I love how Luhy keeps popping up too. And of course Kuuko and Hastur are both hilarious and adorable.

Name of Series: Medaka Box
Rating: B
Comments: Put this on my backlog, and just happened to finally watch the first episode. I do like the fanservice of Medaka provides in the episode, and how tsundere her childhood friend is. I enjoyed this more than I though I would, and I have been told that the series eventually goes in a totally different direction than the SKET Dance-like stuff in the early episodes. But I do like SKET Dance. Planning to marathon this during the summer.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Stall(going to marathon it before Fall)

Episodes Watched: 21
Comments: I think Ai is rapidly becoming one of my favorite characters in this series(although I still love Jenny and of course Chiaki). Ai really shines in episode 21, as she ends up navigating by the stars, and we see that she looks adorable without the hat.

Comments: Episode 7 was probably the best episode of any series this year. Sentaro and Kaoru making up by epic jam session at the school festival. Oh yeah! Episode 8 just moves along the love drama, and Sentaro finally realizing something at the end of the episode was quite a moment to end on.

Comments: Episode 8 is easily the best that I've seen so far(although the end of episode 7 was shocking) and it feels better now that the drama is there and not the constant hijinks of the first five episodes. Yuuko is certainly even more complex than I realized, and Kirie is growing on me as a character.

Episodes Watched: 9
Comments: And now we're back to Japan for the third exam, and it seems that Mutta has better luck than he realized. Episode 9 also gives more insight into Serika and Kenji, which I liked.

Episodes Watched: 9
Comments: More random comedy. Episode 8 with the weather guessing was amusing enough I guess. I probably won't watch the 2nd season of this though.

I am hoping that I am able to catch up in the next few weeks so I concentrate on the new shows for Summer and not have to still have unwatched episdes from the Spring.