AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2011-01-31, 19:23   Link #81
E_I
Yuri fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
Well, he/she's wearing red indoor shoes (as opposed to Subaru's yellow) so I assumed male, but I dunno what the standard is... do boys and girls have different indoor shoes or does it indicate what grade you're in?

... oh, but it just hit me. Subaru calls him Minato-kun. So, well, at least she thinks he's male.
I'm reminded of the Haruka episode of Sailor Moon where the girls' thought she was a guy.

Last edited by E_I; 2011-01-31 at 20:20.
E_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-31, 20:39   Link #82
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genten View Post
I really wasn't interested in this anime before this trailer because such little information about it was released. We got a title, a forty second trailer that didn't show any information about animation or characters, and a summary that was merely "Suburu collaborating with GAINAX". They were really holding out information about this thing until the very end, huh?

Now that I've seen the trailer I'm on the fence about whether or not to watch this show. On one hand, the animation is gorgeous. I mean, come on, it's GAINAX. It's so pretty and shiny and colorful. It pretty much shouts, "watch me for the sparkles!" And I am tempted. Boy, am I tempted. However, on the other hand that looks past shiny things, I realize I have a lot of other shows to watch, including another magical girl show. Can I really afford to watch another series? I mean, I'm already three episodes behind on Yumekui Merry. Do I have any hope of staying caught up with another series?

Also, I'm a little wary of this collaboration. Sure, the Suburu logo could be all the advertising available but what if they go overboard with showing Suburu's? I don't necessarily think GAINAX would do this but. . . you never really know. Aside from that, I might try this series out for the fact that it's four episodes, so not too much of my time would be wasted.
4 episodes, each one 5-6 minutes. You probably may as well.

Last edited by Raiga; 2011-01-31 at 21:02.
Raiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-01, 02:31   Link #83
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Houkagou no Pleiades does appear at first glance to be a much abridged version of a much longer anime title, only that everything you see in the 4 shorts are all there is to it. It's basically a tasty morsel for a much larger product that may or may not exist, hence rather dissatisfying.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-01, 04:53   Link #84
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

aw is that all, only 4 episodes of 6 minutes each in total? but a nice short story nonetheless and ye the animation is awesome
j0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-01, 05:49   Link #85
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

Nice. Knowing this was advertisement purpose, I was pleasantly surprised with its quality. Definitely want more.
Old 2011-02-01, 06:26   Link #86
FlavorOfLife
Uncaring

Ho, i thought this was a normal anime but its free and short.

Official Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwdlVM2FD7s
No subs though

This is definitely a more normal mahou shoujo. So far hikaru's unifrom looks the least impressive but most of them don't look too outstanding either. They should have put in more effort in the character dress designs to appeal to the younger girls
FlavorOfLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-01, 07:34   Link #87
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

That was it? Basically, that was akin to the first 2 episodes of a 13-episode TV anime compressed into the length of 1 TV episode. Not only did it feel like it badly needed to be continued, it was horridly rushed, especially the dramatic events of episode 3 which really didn't need to happen given the short time frame.

Spoiler for episode 3:

If this is to be made into a TV series in the future, that'll be great to flesh out the characters and have some compelling drama, plus a fun story. But this on its own was a half-cooked fish. At least Tamayura made the best out its running time to accomplish what it was made for. Houkago no Pleiades is very incomplete and way too ambitious for its length and thus collapses on itself.

3/10
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-01, 08:55   Link #88
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

^ Why everyone was expecting 'story' when it was basically 'advertisement' purpose + 30 minutes mahou shoujo, anyway? We should be glad for 'actually having a story' and 'quality in animation'.
Old 2011-02-01, 09:12   Link #89
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
^ Why everyone was expecting 'story' when it was basically 'advertisement' purpose + 30 minutes mahou shoujo, anyway? We should be glad for 'actually having a story' and 'quality in animation'.
In this case, a full 3-act story with drama and character development actually harmed Houkago no Pleiades more than an absence of such would have. Episode 3 was a major offender with this. The whole ONA might have worked better if it started in media res with Subaru already part of the team rather than squeezing an introduction with Subaru meeting everyone and becoming a magical girl hogging precious time in the beginning.

Yes, it's "just an advertisement". Doesn't make me buy the unnecessary and half-baked drama and development any more.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-01, 10:04   Link #90
twinklestar
anime fanbot..LOL!

Hoping GAINAX will do a proper TV anime series if there's a demand for it..
twinklestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-01, 17:06   Link #91
Genten
has a custom user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
4 episodes, each one 5-6 minutes. You probably may as well.
I might as well, when I can find some subs. I was never expecting a story: this will just be an anime I watch for the animation, which looks superb. And since it's only four episodes it's not like I'm going to regret it.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Just finished the series. Obviously, the story was awful and incredibly rushed. The characters were flat and defined by tropes. The series was really just about Aoi and Suburu (look, I even remembered their names! XD), possibly Minato, and the other girls were shoved into the background, barely getting any lines. It was like HeartCatch Precure compressed into four episodes. However, the animation was incredible. For a glorified car commercial GAINAX sure put a lot of work into this (I wonder if most of the financing came from Suburu?) with plenty of motion and adorable character designs. There are two reasons to watch this anime. The first is the animation, which as I've stated is beautiful. The second is the fanart that appears at the end of the series in the ending sequence. It was fun to see the diffrerent art of the series.

That being said, I think HnP could be a really great 12 episode series. Even if it is a car commercial I think it would be fun to see a full blown series, with the characters getting more screen time and development. Yes, I realize it probably isn't going to happen but I wouldn't mind a cutesy magical girl anime like this from GAINAX, some day.

Oh, and the pirate girl is my favorite. She's just so weird.

Last edited by Genten; 2011-02-01 at 17:43.
Genten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-01, 18:00   Link #92
Dop
Mmmm....

Well, that was OK. I mean, what it was was fishing. GAINAX have thrown out the bait, and if enough people bite they'll probably make a series on the concept. It's a pilot episode, nothing more.

If they do make a series, and the animation was as good, then it might be quite watchable.

What I fail to see is what exactly Subaru get out of this. I mean, I don't see hordes of mahou shoujo otaku rushing out to buy a new Impreza!

And yeah, stay for the artwork at the end of the fourth part. Some of it was really quite nice.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-01, 18:02   Link #93
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
Like Tempester said, had it not had all of that melodrama and played like it was actually going somewhere and just been like an art piece concept for an advertisement I probably would have thought more of it. I also kind of have to agree that the attempt to have character development actually harmed it more than helped since it was as he said quite half-assed and stock for lack of a better word.

That gets me thinking that if there had been no dialogue and everything was just focused on the art that I would have probably been a lot more impressed by this project.....and not just because the voices we did get were mostly annoying.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-01, 18:38   Link #94
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

so was that supposed to make me go buy a subaru now?

Could've been better if they had more time, but i wasn't expecting anything anyways.
Old 2011-02-02, 05:48   Link #95
brocko

Just wait, you'll see a Subaru branded Mahou Shoujo staff, complete with engine sounds on sale soon. That's what the show is selling and what Subaru is getting out of it

While I'm here, i may as well echo the sentiments of everyone else and say that there's some pretty nice promise if they do happen decide to flesh it out later.

Anyone know the name of the ED song?

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.

Last edited by brocko; 2011-02-02 at 06:29.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-02, 12:07   Link #96
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
Just wait, you'll see a Subaru branded Mahou Shoujo staff, complete with engine sounds on sale soon. That's what the show is selling and what Subaru is getting out of it

While I'm here, i may as well echo the sentiments of everyone else and say that there's some pretty nice promise if they do happen decide to flesh it out later.

Anyone know the name of the ED song?
"Houkago no Pleiades." Songs with the same name as the show they come from are a pain to search for...
Old 2011-02-02, 23:18   Link #97
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

I what more of this it was very cute but it did seem forced at some parts
Old 2011-02-03, 01:27   Link #98
dark998

Just watched the four mini episodes, it was short but sweet. Naturally, after adjusting expectations accordingly and not wanting the plot and character development of a full length anime shoved into 20 minutes.

I would kill for a true anime of this. Subaru and the others have a lot of charisma, the art and animation are top-notch and the music is not bad. Plus, the matter with Minato was not solved.
dark998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-03, 04:11   Link #99
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

I liked it. True, it wasn't anything truly mind-blowing, but for what it was worth, it was good.

A full-blown show might be nice, though. I agree that the story felt quite a bit rushed and a lot of things weren't explained, like where Subaru got her powers from in the first place, why Minato acted like (s)he did (seems to be related to the earring) and exactly what the Engine was for, but the animation looked very nice and I kinda liked the character designs, as stereotypical as they were.

And if the main character didn't have the name Subaru, you wouldn't even think that this is apparently a car commercial.
Old 2011-02-03, 04:29   Link #100
netvope
SOS-Dan

I lol-ed when they "turned on" their magic wand... it sounded exactly like an engine
netvope is offline   Reply With Quote