AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-03-27, 15:17   Link #21
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

The Last Story: A Epic RPG by Nintendo+Mistwalkers

I'm sure some of you have heard, but Nintendo and the developers Mistwalkers (team made up of former Square employees) are working together to bring us an epic Wii RPG. Not much is known yet but this is whats been revealed so far:

According to the developers, the world will be huge, as well as the towns. The major cities are supposedly so big with so many paths and alleys that you can easily get lost. Main character(s) haven't been revealed yet but you start out as a mercenary who was victim to seeing his village burned and loved ones killed, and apparently you have a bone to pick with the Knights.

No in-game footage or trailer yet but the developer blog will update every week teasing us as it goes. It's slated to release late this year.

Here are concepts (keep in mind that these aren't any specific characters, just concept work)
Spoiler for Images:

Update

There setting is going to have ocean travel as the primary source of world travel, as airships is to Final Fantasy. Here are some new images.

Spoiler for images:

Some clarifications: The main hero and heroine were both victims of losing their parents when they were young. They live bearing with the horrible memory of their parents deaths.

I'll update this post as more information is released.

Update
Spoiler for Hero + Heroine:

The blog did not provide their names. And, more significantly, it did not say why there's a tiger behind them.

In the post, the game's director hinted that the hero and heroine will have some hurdles to overcome in their relationship. "There's a wall between the two," he wrote. Not a literal wall, of course, but there does appear to be something keeping them from being together.

Both the producer and director hinted at a multifaceted story for the game. Outside of the main story, which focuses on the hero and heroine, the producer said that he expects players to have a chance to experience the stories of the game's various other characters as well.

"The characters who appear in the Last Story all walk their own paths and have their own stories," wrote the producer.

The director hinted at some possible specific substories you'll encounter in the game:

* A prison break by a foolish archaeologist
* A close friend who's turned to evil
* The mysteries surrounding a father who went missing on a boat
* The fear of speaking your true feelings.

How these substories will work into the game is unclear at this point. But it seems that they will be "worked into" the game rather than standing along side it. Explained the director, "It's very important to merge battles and gameplay with story. Neither can stand on its own. Once both are connected together, the characters will rise up as 'human' within the container of a game."

Update: Finally some screen shots! Here are the scans
Spoiler for images:

http://www.imagebam.com/image/76fd4978136403

http://www.imagebam.com/image/7726f078136405

http://www.imagebam.com/image/e5ad3178136409

http://www.imagebam.com/image/a03e4f78136410

http://www.imagebam.com/image/22d8f078136411

Last edited by HayashiTakara; 2010-04-27 at 11:08.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-28, 07:11   Link #22
Sides

There is already a thread about this game.
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=91091
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-28, 07:14   Link #23
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
Damn, Wii and 360 really have a variety of good jrpgs now, and there's more comming...
Seems like I really picked up the wrong console.
Old 2010-03-28, 13:20   Link #24
jonli
JONLIの憂'

I'm getting a really strong FF12/Ivalice vibe here. In terms of style that's great, I love FF12's style. But I hope it's battle system and story would be different. I prefer character driven story.

As bad as this sounds, I feel like the Wii isn't the right market for this. They'd probably get more attention if they put this on the 360 or the PS3 or both.
jonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-28, 19:27   Link #25
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonli View Post
I'm getting a really strong FF12/Ivalice vibe here. In terms of style that's great, I love FF12's style. But I hope it's battle system and story would be different. I prefer character driven story.

As bad as this sounds, I feel like the Wii isn't the right market for this. They'd probably get more attention if they put this on the 360 or the PS3 or both.
It's co-produced by Nintendo, so don't hold your breath on it being out on another system. Anyway, it'll sell very well in Japan but iffy in the western market, that's my prediction.
Old 2010-04-10, 20:19   Link #26
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Update, first look on the heroine and hero.
Old 2010-04-27, 10:45   Link #27
Sides

Some screens are up on gonintendo (don't really like to used them as a source, but atm the opnly one i found that had some scans up).
The last 3 pictures are from The Last Story.

alternative link allgamesbeta

Last edited by Sides; 2010-04-27 at 11:17. Reason: alternative link
Old 2010-04-27, 10:50   Link #28
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Omg the game looks gorgeous!!! I'll add the images on the main post.

Edit: Oh I found more screenshots!!

Last edited by HayashiTakara; 2010-04-27 at 11:04.
Old 2010-04-27, 12:15   Link #29
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

I like how the heroine is properly dressed, but they felt the need to have the hero have an exposed chest.

I like the architecture of the buildings.
Old 2010-04-27, 12:31   Link #30
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
I like how the heroine is properly dressed, but they felt the need to have the hero have an exposed chest.

I like the architecture of the buildings.
Apparently he's only exposed in the concept art, but he wears a black shirt underneath his jacket.
Old 2010-04-27, 12:43   Link #31
Xion Valkyrie

I kind of wish they could pull off graphics that made it look like the concept art in game.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-27, 13:03   Link #32
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Yeah the game looks awesome, this and Xenoblade are looking fine. Rather have them on the ps3/xbox360, but hey can't have everything.

I hope the games don't fail. :O
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-30, 05:40   Link #33
Sides

Characters have names!
A wee piece about the last story on andriasang. Bascially a summary of an article published in the lastest jump issue.
Old 2010-05-30, 06:26   Link #34
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I'm pleased with the names Elza and Kanan. Do wonder what the tiger will be called though.

But wow i'm still amazed at the overall look of this game. It's seriously stunning.
Old 2010-05-30, 09:34   Link #35
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
It's co-produced by Nintendo, so don't hold your breath on it being out on another system. Anyway, it'll sell very well in Japan but iffy in the western market, that's my prediction.
If it even comes out outside of Japan :/. I'm still waiting any info on Tales of Graces... In case it doesn't come out, this better do or me buying a Wii was for nothing ... again.

With that said, this game looks awesome and I really hope it's not like the newest FF.. It was way too linear. Though I do wonder why they chose Wii for a game like this ? Would do much better on Ps3, atleast graphics wise.
Old 2010-05-30, 10:40   Link #36
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist
Though I do wonder why they chose Wii for a game like this ? Would do much better on Ps3, atleast graphics wise.
*facepalm* Will people stop making this retarded argument? I don't remember people going "I wonder why they chose to develop (insert RPG title here) for the PS2, it would do much better on the Xbox, at least graphics-wise.".

There are other considerations besides graphical prowess. Like the cost to develop the game, and the size of the installed user base.
Old 2010-05-30, 10:42   Link #37
TidusBlade
西瓜の騎士

I'm just happy I get to use my Wii again, last time was for Tatsunoko vs. Capcom and that was months ago xD

Island looks like one of them off Dragon Quest VIII and the city looks almost like The Last Remnant so I guess you can't go wrong :P As long as the story is solid I'd definitely play it, and +1 to Dist, FFXIII really bored me, linear is fine but not when the story gets stale and you can't take a break from it =/

Also sounds like FF a bit, if it goes well we'll end up with a ton of sequels and people asking, "Why is it called The Last Story when it's the 7th sequel?"
TidusBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-30, 10:45   Link #38
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
*facepalm* Will people stop making this retarded argument? I don't remember people going "I wonder why they chose to develop (insert RPG title here) for the PS2, it would do much better on the Xbox, at least graphics-wise.".
Because the gap between Wii and Ps3 is vastly different to the gap between Ps2 and Xbox.

Quote:
There are other considerations besides graphical prowess.
Indeed.

Quote:
Like the cost to develop the game
Big factor since HD games are more expensive, I'm sure cost is one of the main reasons that MGS PeaceWalker is on PSP instead of Ps3 for instance... though the PSP being on par with the DS for the last few years in sales and outpeforming the Wii and Ps3 easily could be another..

Quote:
and the size of the installed user base.
Not really much of a factor considering how well non Nintendo games sell on the Wii. There's a good reason why the 360 and Ps3 are dominating when it comes to typical 3rd party software. Monster Hunter Tri did shocking in Japan compared to the PSP versions and it's performance on america's NPD wasn't exactly flash either, and this is the biggest 3rd party title the Wii has. Shame since it's a great game..

Anyway you know you could've just said Nintendo were funding part of it couldn't you? Exact same reason Mistwalker did Blue Dragon and LO on 360.. except replacing MS with Nin.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-31, 12:43   Link #39
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo
Because the gap between Wii and Ps3 is vastly different to the gap between Ps2 and Xbox.
You have a point, but it was still quite the gap between the PS2 and the Xbox. Not only in specs, but also in graphical quality. No, what I think is different this time around is buzzwords and the "super-computer" hype around the PS3.
Old 2010-06-01, 06:00   Link #40
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
You have a point, but it was still quite the gap between the PS2 and the Xbox. Not only in specs, but also in graphical quality. No, what I think is different this time around is buzzwords and the "super-computer" hype around the PS3.
There's no question that the Xbox along with Gamecube where superior to the Ps2 but something like Zone of Enders II holds up quite well whereas you can't say the same with any Wii game compared to say Uncharted 2 or Killzone 2.

Anyway we're getting off topic, hopefully Mistwalker deliver unlike with BD and LO.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mistwalker, nintendo, rpg, wii