AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-18, 09:15   Link #281
TheHaruhiIncarnate
Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Technically Kyon did already, in Disappearance with Yuki. Part of Kyon's quality is that he doesn't treat Haruhi as anything other than a young girl. And that's really what Haruhi needed as a person of great power. It is lonely at the top.
What I really like about Kyon is that he's honest with her (partailly) and calls her out on her bull. It annoys her, but thats what she really needs. And since he's so honest with her (as far as she knows) she trusts him immensly.

F**k Moe
Embrace Tsundere
Old 2011-06-18, 11:59   Link #282
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHaruhiIncarnate View Post
What I really like about Kyon is that he's honest with her (partailly) and calls her out on her bull. It annoys her, but thats what she really needs. And since he's so honest with her (as far as she knows) she trusts him immensly.
It's not really the "won't lie" kind of trust. It's the "will never hurt me" trust. The idea that Kyon trust Haruhi to do the right thing, and Haruhi trusts Kyon to have her best interests at heart.

And technically Kyon was honest with her. He told her everything, she merely refused to believe him. So once she know the truth one day, Kyon can give her a "I told you so" and she can't get mad at him.
Old 2011-06-18, 12:07   Link #283
TheHaruhiIncarnate
Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
It's not really the "won't lie" kind of trust. It's the "will never hurt me" trust. The idea that Kyon trust Haruhi to do the right thing, and Haruhi trusts Kyon to have her best interests at heart.

And technically Kyon was honest with her. He told her everything, she merely refused to believe him. So once she know the truth one day, Kyon can give her a "I told you so" and she can't get mad at him.
That's true. Even if her best interests is something she doesnt like (quitting baseball game) she'll listen to Kyon.

F**k Moe
Embrace Tsundere
Old 2011-06-18, 15:10   Link #284
Ypocaramel

I think trust is more than just prescriptive or prospective actions - i.e. will or will not. I mean, what's trust between best friends? Trust between lovers? I think, drawing on inspiration from (commwealth common law legal) trusts, I think one thing is that the trustee will have the other's interest in mind (as said above). You know what side they're ultimate on, and you know that they'll deliever as best as they can.

That said, the missing piece of course as far as I can remember, isn't just that 'SOS-dan is alien time travelling espers' but that 'you are have powers to rival God.'

Spoiler for Last chapter:

Last edited by Ypocaramel; 2011-06-18 at 15:38.
Old 2011-06-18, 16:12   Link #285
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

I just read the epilogue translation. Thanks to the translator and the editor.

I can see that two future events being set up in the Epilogue: Tsuruya's flower viewing party and Kyon's middle school class reunion(with Sasaki).

It can be slightly annoying when Koizumi is your main source of information because you feel that you're not getting the whole picture from him. His infodump had some interesting tidbits.

Now, a few interesting things I noticed...

Spoiler for epilogue spoilers and speculation.:

I am psyched for whenever we see more of Surprise translated.

Last edited by AbZeroNow; 2011-06-18 at 16:17. Reason: spelling
Old 2011-06-18, 17:00   Link #286
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Send a message via MSN to AmyElizzabeth
Spoiler for Tsuruya and Kyon's name:
Old 2011-06-18, 17:23   Link #287
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyElizzabeth View Post
It is indeed a nickname. It was in katakana. Tsuruya usually gives nicknames to the Brigade. Strange how Koizumi hasn't gotten one yet.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
Old 2011-06-18, 20:31   Link #288
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
It is indeed a nickname. It was in katakana. Tsuruya usually gives nicknames to the Brigade. Strange how Koizumi hasn't gotten one yet.
Does Koizumi even talk to her, in an actual direct conversation?

I just got a feeling he was told to hold his distance because she is nearly as important to the Espers as Haruhi is. You know, your boss's daughter and all.
Old 2011-06-18, 22:55   Link #289
ijuinkun

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyElizzabeth View Post
Spoiler:
Old 2011-06-19, 16:12   Link #290
Jonbob0008
The Last Loner

Send a message via MSN to Jonbob0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijuinkun View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler for Possible name:
Old 2011-06-21, 11:18   Link #291
TheHaruhiIncarnate
Goddess

These drawings are amazing.

source

F**k Moe
Embrace Tsundere
Old 2011-06-21, 12:33   Link #292
Yumeka
Anime fan/Pokemon trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHaruhiIncarnate View Post
These drawings are amazing.

Spoiler for for big images:

source
Nice pics! I've been trying to find good Surprise art on pixiv but haven't had that much luck.

~ Yumeka ~
Mainichi Anime Yume - my blog
Old 2011-06-21, 15:03   Link #293
Jenx
Insert Creative Title

I've been sort of skimming spoilers because I still want some surprises, so this post is actually rather old, but I just noticed something last night that I hadn't caught the first time I looked at it since I was skimming. Post is here on LJ.

So what I'm wondering is, can someone confirm/deny that
Spoiler:
Old 2011-06-21, 15:29   Link #294
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenx View Post
I've been sort of skimming spoilers because I still want some surprises, so this post is actually rather old, but I just noticed something last night that I hadn't caught the first time I looked at it since I was skimming. Post is here on LJ.

Spoiler:
Since I have only read the translations of Chapter 9 through to the epilogue, I'll just comment on that.
Spoiler for Koizumi and other LJ spoilers.:

Of course, I'd like to hear from those who can read the original Japanese for their take on that too.

Last edited by AbZeroNow; 2011-06-21 at 15:38. Reason: added something and changed word to convey meaning better
Old 2011-06-21, 19:00   Link #295
Yumeka
Anime fan/Pokemon trainer

Quote:
Thanks for linking that LJ post. I had never seen it before =) It was great reading detailed observations/thoughts on the novels from someone who's read both in their entirety.

~ Yumeka ~
Mainichi Anime Yume - my blog
Old 2011-06-21, 23:17   Link #296
ijuinkun

Quote:
Spoiler:
Well,
Spoiler:
Old 2011-06-22, 02:55   Link #297
UNDER_LINE

Just finished reading Surprise today.

Throughout the confrontation in the closed space, I totally expected Kyon to SOGEBU Fujiwara and literally grow wings to save Haruhi.

I can't be the only one who expected this.
Old 2011-06-22, 04:51   Link #298
virox

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNDER_LINE View Post
Just finished reading Surprise today.

Throughout the confrontation in the closed space, I totally expected Kyon to SOGEBU Fujiwara and literally grow wings to save Haruhi.

I can't be the only one who expected this.
No, not really. First of all, it's not that kind of story, with sparkles and bubbles and rainbows everywhere. Secondly, I'm not exactly a supporter of the "Kyon is the actual god" theory. Well, if Haruhi wanted him to have wings and believed it was possible, it might would have happened, but she was unconscious, so...
Old 2011-06-22, 06:52   Link #299
DurararaFTW

Spoiler:
Old 2011-06-22, 07:00   Link #300
virox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurararaFTW View Post
Spoiler:
Nothing, we just don't know whether he tells the truth or not. But reading that LJ blog posted above would probably give a lot of people this impression, since the blogger seems to make a lot of misassumptions
Closed Thread

Tags
haruhi suzumiya, light novel, spoilers