AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2006-08-14, 08:26   Link #141
Lost

Dune was nice, very nice. Somehow, no other series could get me feeling the same atmosphere Dune gave me.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-16, 19:55   Link #142
horsdhaleine
i miss japan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tea_servant_1996
James and the giant peach finished!!!
sounds interesting!!! how was the story? i want to read it too...
horsdhaleine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-17, 15:16   Link #143
Ombrenuit
Day Dreams...

Send a message via AIM to Ombrenuit Send a message via MSN to Ombrenuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
but could you tell me who's the author of those short stories you mentioned? Or is it a collection?
Evidently it is a world that was developed from a DnD campaign through novelette format in the 80s. Various authors in the Fantasy genre would submit works about the city and its lively folklore and they would be compiled into the next edition of the book. Each book is a collection of short stories regarding the world, and all of them can be found under the general title "Thieves World". I can't really attest to whether or not they even remotely feel like Thief, or even their quality. I haven't read a single one, but I was curious about them. It seems to be leaning to the swords and sorcery genre heavily (ok...it's already fallen over in that direction...).

Off-topic
If you're curious about Thief still, you should check out the Dark Mod community. It's a project (that has been underway for two years) to convert the Doom 3 engine into something resembling the first two games. I think it would peak your interest.
Ombrenuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-18, 03:53   Link #144
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ombrenuit
Evidently it is a world that was developed from a DnD campaign through novelette format in the 80s. Various authors in the Fantasy genre would submit works about the city and its lively folklore and they would be compiled into the next edition of the book. Each book is a collection of short stories regarding the world, and all of them can be found under the general title "Thieves World". I can't really attest to whether or not they even remotely feel like Thief, or even their quality. I haven't read a single one, but I was curious about them. It seems to be leaning to the swords and sorcery genre heavily (ok...it's already fallen over in that direction...).
Thanks, very interesting; I'll look for it in my library when I get the time.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-18, 04:05   Link #145
Laharu
mao de makai

Send a message via AIM to Laharu Send a message via MSN to Laharu
Bonhoeffer's Ethics!!!!
Laharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-18, 22:54   Link #146
Ombrenuit
Day Dreams...

Send a message via AIM to Ombrenuit Send a message via MSN to Ombrenuit
I just picked up a book called "Night Watch" today and never before have I been so excited about one (to the point where after reading one review, I high-tailed it to my nearest Barnes and Nobles on a whim). It's also been made into a movie (Russia's most expensive movie to date), and it is by a Russian writer. On concept alone I was excited. l'll definitly write up a mini-review here as soon as I finish.
Ombrenuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-19, 06:52   Link #147
mit7059

Yeah, i recently read Dune, and the Across the Nightengale Floor Series, both were very good, and more recently I've delved into the His Dark Materials trilogy, I'm almost done with the last book, which i think is impressive because I just started the series like three days ago. I love summer vacation. But the His Dark Materials trilogy is a great series, animelovers would be proud at the great fantasy storyline.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-19, 18:43   Link #148
i0td

Finally finished Turtledove's Worldwar series. The new alternate timeline intrigues me, so I'll definitely be picking up the Colonization sequel when I get the chance.
i0td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-19, 19:21   Link #149
[DOT].L
Delightfully lost...
*Artist

Currently struggling through the Analects (in original Chinese form) by Confucius.
[DOT].L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-19, 20:15   Link #150
raphaël
trainee archangel

Send a message via AIM to raphaël
Quote:
Originally Posted by [DOT].L
Currently struggling through the Analects (in original Chinese form) by Confucius.
You really don't have a life, do you?

raphaël is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-20, 18:04   Link #151
[DOT].L
Delightfully lost...
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by raphaël
You really don't have a life, do you?

I usually enter hikkikomori mode during summer vacation, so I guess you're right about me not having a life right now.
[DOT].L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-21, 07:19   Link #152
chzon
whiplash

Send a message via MSN to chzon
Hmm...finished reading LOTR all over again for the 4th time. Dunno what else to read..
chzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-22, 19:06   Link #153
Kamiru

Send a message via MSN to Kamiru
I just finished a very adorable british series called Angels Unlimited.
Kamiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-22, 19:52   Link #154
raphaël
trainee archangel

Send a message via AIM to raphaël
As I said in the proper forum, I just finished "Sumiya Haruhi no Tameiki"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOT.L
I usually enter hikkikomori mode during summer vacation, so I guess you're right about me not having a life right now.
Did you post in the proper thread? There is one, I swear you, in this very forum.
You'll realize you're not alone.

(If you already didn't realize yet. )
raphaël is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-23, 19:01   Link #155
Ji Ji

Send a message via MSN to Ji Ji
The last manga I've read is Bizenghast vol 2 and the last book I've read is Darren Shan; L'assitant du Vampire. It's a french book, cause my mum's family's french, so when we went on vacation, the only libraries there were french.
Ji Ji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-23, 20:27   Link #156
Cz
Needs more sleep~

I just finished reading the Da Vinci Code (yeah, I know, it's a few years late ) and it really was quite interesting. Not sure I'd want to watch the movie though since I know the story already, but while reading it my image of Sophie was of the French actress who played her in the movie.

Now I'm reading Elantris by Brandon Sanderson, and I have Onion Girl, The Four Forges, The Lucifer Gospel, and Second Genesis lined up to finish. (I discovered the local library not long ago, so yeah.... )
Cz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-24, 00:51   Link #157
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

I have finished reading The Sound and the Fury, and the first comment that came to my mind was, what a messed up family, but replace the "mess" with a more vulgar four letter word. Anyways, after Ulysses gave a battering to my confidence, I somewhat regained by some of it through the less abstruse The Sound and the Fury. However, with the book having two characters with the same name, Quentin, and the Maury who is also named Benjamin (Benjy) and not to be confused with another different character Uncle Maury, mixed by a jumping timeline, at least the first part, it does get a bit difficult to unravel the story. I think the main strength of the book definitely lies in its profound and distinct characters. Even the mentally challenged Benjamin Compson, with a mindset of a three-year-old, and his only way of expression in the novel is to cry and hush, has depth to his character. Quentin Compson, the disturbed and highly cerebral male character (the other Quentin is female), is surely a character more akin to my liking. But Quentin Compson does not even come close in challenging Humbert Humbert for his king-like throne on my highest pedestal and role model. Also, the book serves as an insight in to a peculiar southern family and the social environment during the early part of the twentieth century. Overall, a fine novel. Caddy smells like trees.

Ahem, next up: Pale Fire. Some literary critics say that Pale Fire is actually Nabokov's greatest work, surpassing Lolita. They argued that Lolita gained its fame mostly by its controversial subject, but Pale Fire is technically the best of Nabokov. Well, with this in mind, I shall turn its pages with heavy expectation.
Muir Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-24, 08:09   Link #158
Diaboso
we girls arnt safe!
*Artist

2 must reads "Mantas Gift" and "AngleMass" same auther (cant remember) but great books.
Diaboso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-26, 11:56   Link #159
Lilium
Yuri Priestess

Send a message via MSN to Lilium
Recently 4 books from Alex Kava with main female character Maggie O'Dell.
I really like her style of writing,plus one book from J.Kellerman "Rage",thrillers with serial killers are my favourite books^^
Lilium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-09, 19:28   Link #160
i0td

Just finished the first book of Simmon's Hyperion tetralogy. Very intriguing setup, especially with the frame story narrative.
i0td is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books