AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-07-31, 14:00   Link #1001
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

About Kotetsu's dilemma.

While it's true his first loyalty should be to his child, and Bunny's a grown man, heroing's a job where you risk your life. If Bunny goes out without his head in the game, he could get killed, or get other people killed. On the other side, Kaede's with her family, and it's nothing her father or any Next hasn't gone through before.

I'm not saying Kotetsu's right in choosing to delay his retirement, but I don't think it's that clear cut. Though I really think the least he owes her is the truth.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-31, 14:02   Link #1002
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

She's going to figure out the truth very, very soon if he doesn't tell her outright.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-31, 14:10   Link #1003
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
She's going to figure out the truth very, very soon if he doesn't tell her outright.
About him being Wild Tiger? She should have done so already, but whatever.

I don't mean just that, though. I also mean... all being a Hero meant to Kotetsu, and to his wife. And also - without going into specifics - that Bunny's having problems and needs just a bit more help.
Old 2011-07-31, 14:33   Link #1004
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Bunny is a grown man, and Kaede is his 10 year-old daughter. IMHO, Kotestsu's duty is clear.
Old 2011-07-31, 15:22   Link #1005
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Kaede's not in any immediate danger. Bunny could do something lethally stupid tomorrow, or at least throw away all he's accomplished, which would be a big waste.

But to clarify: I don't mean he should tell her the truth so she'll forgive him. I just mean he owes her the truth, period. What she does with it is another matter.
Old 2011-07-31, 15:22   Link #1006
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Bunny might be a robot.
That was my first thought but then I remembered that Jake could read his thoughts so he's either an incredibly advanced robot, even for this setting, or only half a robot.

And I have to agree with Anh Minh. I don't think Kotetsu was wrong in choosing to help out Barnaby first. Kaede might be his daughter but his best friend is having some serious psychological problems and he clearly needs a close friend to pull him through this. If Kotetsu left him at this point, he'd probably feel completely isolated and lost.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-31, 15:23   Link #1007
littlegal100

Quote:
Bunny is a grown man, and Kaede is his 10 year-old daughter. IMHO, Kotestsu's duty is clear.
Bunny's also having a heavy mental breakdown and desperately needs some help, I'm sure Kaede can wait a little more.
littlegal100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-31, 16:05   Link #1008
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
The real solution is that Kotetsu should have revealed that he's Wild Tiger to Kaeda, especially after she herself displayed superpowers.

That would make it much easier for Kotetsu to explain the situation to his daughter, and she'd have less issue (I think) with him taking his time quitting if it was to help out her hero Bunny.

However, again, this show is basically anime holding up a mirror to the superhero genre of the west, and putting their own spin on it. And that's why we're seeing Kotetsu's secret identity issues play out like it would in a Spiderman comic book (i.e. a convenient source of comedy and drama ).
Old 2011-07-31, 16:12   Link #1009
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Kaede isn't in danger? How many times in her life is she going to have her first weeks dealing with potentially lethal powers? I don't think Kotetsu is right even if she weren't in danger - but she is in danger, IMHO.

One of the commenters on LiA suggested that Kotetsu is representing a very Japanese take on this situation - the Dad for whom work comes before family. He's a salaryman whose job just happens to be superhero.
Old 2011-07-31, 17:41   Link #1010
DarthObsidian

Quote:
Kaede isn't in danger? How many times in her life is she going to have her first weeks dealing with potentially lethal powers? I don't think Kotetsu is right even if she weren't in danger - but she is in danger, IMHO.

I agree, she is kind of in a dangerous situation and needs someone to help her learn to control her powers. What if she accidentally activates her magnetic powers near a knife rack and stabs herself to death? Or what if she can still use the Hundred Power and accidentally kills someone with it? That's assuming she hasn't copied something more dangerous yet.

Barnaby doesn't really need Kotetsu. What Barnaby really needs is a psychologist. He needs pychological help to get through a mental breakdown. There really isn't much Kotetsu can do to help Barnaby deal with a breakdown, but there's plenty he can do to help his daughter.
DarthObsidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-31, 18:02   Link #1011
Lange Neus
Dikke Vinger

Kotetsu could probably tell kaede that banaby's having some issues and Kotetsu -being the incidental best friend that he is- needs to be there. Kaede has zero interest in what her daddy does anyway, and this show doesn't particularly make people wise beyond their years. She'll be too hyped about barnaby's troubles to care about her father's or even her own for that matter.

That, and kotetsu's utter incompetence to deal with this situation can't help but annoy me. Come on dude you've been deceiving your daughter for 6 years, it's not like you're not used to making excuses either, deal with it already.

Edit/offtopic: could any admin mess around in the posting script for a bit and change the "Go Advanced" button into a "Go Nex{t}" button?
Lange Neus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-31, 20:37   Link #1012
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthObsidian View Post
Barnaby doesn't really need Kotetsu. What Barnaby really needs is a psychologist. He needs pychological help to get through a mental breakdown. There really isn't much Kotetsu can do to help Barnaby deal with a breakdown, but there's plenty he can do to help his daughter.
I don't think that Bunny is having a mental breakdown. I think that the brainwashing is finally starting to wear off. He just can't tell fabricated from real memories until it's gone. Like what happened in Ghost in the Shell except the manipulation wasn't permanent.

Kaede just needs to be placed in a special school for NEXT kids.
Old 2011-07-31, 21:35   Link #1013
saravis

The power to copy next powers, that doesn't scream plot device, no sir.
Old 2011-07-31, 22:12   Link #1014
DarthObsidian

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Kaede just needs to be placed in a special school for NEXT kids.
Do such schools exist though? I know about the hero academy but she might be too young for that. And even if such a place existed, I'm not sure that putting a girl who can copy powers in a room with a bunch of other NEXTs when she can't control her powers is a very good idea. Things could go badly if she started copying the powers of the whole class without knowing the basics of controlling her power. At least if her father was there to teach her there wouldn't be any risk of copying any more powers and overloading or something.
DarthObsidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-31, 22:14   Link #1015
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by saravis View Post
The power to copy next powers, that doesn't scream plot device, no sir.
Two possibilities.

1. Mr. Maverick offers Kaede to be a hero.
2. Ouroboros kidnaps her.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-31, 23:44   Link #1016
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthObsidian View Post
Do such schools exist though? I know about the hero academy but she might be too young for that. And even if such a place existed, I'm not sure that putting a girl who can copy powers in a room with a bunch of other NEXTs when she can't control her powers is a very good idea. Things could go badly if she started copying the powers of the whole class without knowing the basics of controlling her power. At least if her father was there to teach her there wouldn't be any risk of copying any more powers and overloading or something.
How do you know if the father is a good teacher?

At least a school would have trained people to handle NEXT kids like what Professor Xavier did for the X-Men.
Old 2011-07-31, 23:58   Link #1017
Jeffry2009
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Jeffry2009 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffry2009
Finally, just watched EP18 recently.

It wasn't Jake who killed Barnaby's parents as Karuma posted some speculations about it. Somebody had played some mind games on him!! I was right, people! I wasn't HIM!

Last edited by Jeffry2009; 2011-08-01 at 00:35.
Jeffry2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-01, 00:04   Link #1018
saravis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Two possibilities.

1. Mr. Maverick offers Kaede to be a hero.
2. Ouroboros kidnaps her.
or

3. She discovers the power of the main bad guy.

I'll be happy if that doesn't happen, as it seems too obvious that is what will happen.

That aside you have to wonder about her potential. How long can she keep a copied power? Can she keep it indefinitely? If not, then she'll be useless soloing against anything that isn't a next. She would need to be paired with another next. Would she be able to master using various next powers? If she can, then she can almost always fight on even ground against an enemy next. If she can't, then, again, she'll be reliant on being paired with a next who has a familiar power.
Old 2011-08-01, 00:20   Link #1019
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Tiger and Bunny is getting a video game by Namco Bandai (of course).

Even though I know this would never happen it would be great if Tiger and Bunny was a sandbox style game like inFAMOUS where you go around Sternbild as Tiger o Bunny (or both in co-op) while doing hero tasks and collecting hero points for power ups all while fighting the bad guys from the show as well as general thugs. Maybe you can also unlock all the other heroes too.

Sadly such a game seems way out of Namco Bandai's league so it'll probably be a either a fighting game or a cross between an action game and a visual novel. Personally I'd prefer the former, but I forsee the latter.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-01, 00:37   Link #1020
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/conv...2011/otakon/23

Tiger&Bunny panel from Otakon.

Quote:
Macdonald asked him about some of the stories involving the corporate sponsored logos that propagate throughout the series, and the difficulties inherent in working with such a wide variety of corporations. "One of the characters is Fire Emblem. He is, as you know, gay. And at first, uh, one company was interested in sponsoring the character, and at that time, that company did not know the scenario and his character. And after that the company knew Fire Emblem was gay, and at that point, that company said 'sorry, we cannot sponsor him, because he's gay.'" drawing plenty of boos from the crowd.
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mecha, sunrise, tiger & bunny, tsundere